Author Topic: Bad skate habits  (Read 3492 times)

goldfishboot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 146
Bad skate habits
« on: June 15, 2021, 11:00:46 AM »
self-crit time!

this last year my longest-standing skate friend called me out for without fail every time getting in the way with "look at me" flatground tricks on my way back to the starting point. I'm sure I've been doing that for probably years and it dawned on me how fucking annoying that probably was for everyone lol

also obligatory never having a goddamn skate tool but frequently needing one

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
Re: Bad skate habits
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »
Hating the pants/shoe combo I chose the second I leave the house lmao
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
I sit in front of the most skated obstacle at any local, smoke an entire pack of cigarettes and spit all over the ground

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1196
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
self-crit time!

this last year my longest-standing skate friend called me out for without fail every time getting in the way with "look at me" flatground tricks on my way back to the starting point. I'm sure I've been doing that for probably years and it dawned on me how fucking annoying that probably was for everyone lol

i can also admit to doing this. i think it’s a defense mechanism of mine

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 11:24:21 AM »
Expand Quote
self-crit time!

[close]
i can also admit to doing this. i think it’s a defense mechanism of mine

I don't mind when my friends do this.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
On bad days I can get very easily annoyed at myself. I realized not too long ago that it was stupid and did not help at all, so now everytime I start getting pissed I get a bit selfaware and say stuff like "nop, you look stupid, it's does not really matter" and start breathing and take a step back. So old habits here.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 11:41:49 AM »
Picking underwear and pants to skate in.

Not going skating.

Loosening and tightening my trucks obsessively.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 11:48:42 AM »
If I had to think of something, maybe beaming my tripod as I ride away from a trick I’ve been trying for a long time.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »
Anyone do the hands thing where you are like making your hand a skater doing a trick but there is no tech deck. Sometimes when NOT even talking or thinking about skating? I had a friend who went to College and was talking to his professor who stopped him mid sentence saying “what on earth are you doing with your hands?” And he was like chatting while his hand pretended to crooked grind his book. My wife calls me out on this all the time when she’s talking to me and I’m subconsciously thinking about skating. SMH.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 11:54:24 AM »
my personal demons:

switch mongo
not warming up properly
tongue out
"gay" wrist / meerkat
reciting obscure dialogue from skate videos expecting people to know it
cant shut the fuck up and skate, cant stop talking

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 11:55:22 AM »
Anyone do the hands thing where you are like making your hand a skater doing a trick but there is no tech deck. Sometimes when NOT even talking or thinking about skating? I had a friend who went to College and was talking to his professor who stopped him mid sentence saying “what on earth are you doing with your hands?” And he was like chatting while his hand pretended to crooked grind his book. My wife calls me out on this all the time when she’s talking to me and I’m subconsciously thinking about skating. SMH.

its part of visualizing bro
need to immerse yourself otherwise it will never happen
that is the beautiful thing about skating you can just think up something and go make it happen and when you do its unreal feeling

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 11:58:10 AM »
Swongo is a habit I don't wanna break

Skating skatparks until I have sun sickness or serious dehydration. I need to fuckin relax and hit the shade more.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »
fly out airs, they are fun damnit
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
my personal demons:

switch mongo
not warming up properly
tongue out
"gay" wrist / meerkat

my friends call mine the raptor claw, my hands and wrist go mental when i get airborne
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 12:01:34 PM »
not letting injuries heal...

...decades of this has come back to seriously bite me in the ass as i begin my 50th year on earth

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 12:02:28 PM »
Not texting / calling friends when I’m going out to skate.
Not breathing when I’m trying tricks.
Not drinking enough water

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 12:04:33 PM »
oh god i got sunburnt so fucking back when rub bricking last thursday. yeah i need to put suncream on more / stay in the shade more. heat stroke kills me every time i actually have some sunscreen in the car now on deck. another good idea would be keep an extra change of clothes in the car.

not breathing is a big one too i tihnk martial arts is so good as a child to help you learn thi sshit better

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »
this is incredibly cute and endearing lmao

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »
taking 5/0s to tail
double tap on disaster
blunt to pivot or disaster
fly outs
trucks so loose youre always landing stuff pinched and swerving out instead of clean

ugh...knowing is at least half the battle man

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 12:23:16 PM »
Sitting down for too long is a big one for me. Cracking a lot of jokes, I always say I’m not here to skate just talk shit. Yelling at the homies to bail a nollie heel if someone does two tricks in a row. I don’t really smoke anymore but if I’m with the homie that smokes I’ll start bumming like crazy, but I will get him a pack on occasion to make up for it. But if I’m battling a trick I’ll take a smoke and try the trick while smoking, we call this doing it for cancer Dan. Making references to outdated pieces of skate media. If someone’s barging real hard I’ll hit em with the ol, “yo dude you trying to beat that god damn street cleaner or something?” Letting someone ride my shaped board but forgetting to tell them how loose the trucks are until the very last second when there about to throw down. Buying too many Gatorades presesh and giving them to the homies, potentially letting them think I was thinking of them when I went to the store and not just over estimating my eventual thirsty-ness.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 12:23:58 PM »
my personal demons:

switch mongo
not warming up properly
tongue out
"gay" wrist / meerkat

"John Lucero, report to the podium...Ricky Windsor's gone and hurt himself again...OK, we need John Lucero up to the podium as soon as possible...looks like one of your riders has hurt himself...who is it? Jeff Grosso, yep he broke a finger..."

Grip Jobs

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 12:28:08 PM »
Bring water
Don’t talk. My sessions are usually good for 30mins then I talk to a homie, then I’m done. Skate 10 more mins fling my board around. Smoke go home.
I also tire out my legs skating to spots or parks when I should take public trans.
Remembering to have fun and not try harder tricks until your feeling good
Prep a spot before you plan on skating it.
I’ve had to sweep and clear coat some new spots lately and before I know it it’s 2am.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1196
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
ill do that whenever i’m nervous about something even if it isn’t skate related or whenever i’m trying a trick. it takes me to my happy place 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1218
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 12:40:10 PM »
People routinely have to tell me that I skate too fucking slow.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2021, 12:49:07 PM »
People routinely have to tell me that I skate too fucking slow.

Damn, I feel like I'd get that critique if I skated with people that skate faster lol

My own worst habit is not changing the position of my back foot. It's constantly in the scoop position (not the pop position) which is fine for shuv-its, impossibles, and back 180s, but it's made kickflips and heelflips so much harder.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »
If I'm close to filming a trick I won't stop trying until I'm 100% exhausted. Always a bad time in the summer.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 12:56:26 PM »
If I'm close to filming a trick I won't stop trying until I'm 100% exhausted. Always a bad time in the summer.

Same. Except when some civilians stop and stare at me. Then I also stop and stare at them. I know, I am weird.
IG: @flowterspace

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »
Thinking I have learnt the trick after landing it once.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2021, 01:02:59 PM »
Thinking I have learnt the trick after landing it once.

+1

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2021, 01:22:00 PM »
Skating my boards til they’re unskateable. I always try and skate my decks until they snap or are completely unskateable. I’ve skated razor tailed/chipped decks for weeks. Money or decks isn’t the issue, I always have a few on ice at home. It just feels like I’m being wasteful or betraying the deck because I don’t use 100% of its life. I know, weird. Even if I give to a younger kid in need, there’s something that feels off about it. Skating raggedy ass boards definitely hinders my skating and pop at times, but I still find it hard to switch the board out without it breaking.

Relying on wax. I skate curbs a bunch and I compulsively wax the shit out of them. When I go to a park or skate a ledge, I need to stop myself from waxing it so much. I’ve had a couple times where I over waxed it and the ledge was wayyy too slick.