Author Topic: Bad skate habits  (Read 3480 times)

Cumsterfire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Bad skate habits
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »
Hitting the joint cus you don’t wanna hear the insecure dweeb say ‘cumonnn just hit it’

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone do the hands thing where you are like making your hand a skater doing a trick but there is no tech deck. Sometimes when NOT even talking or thinking about skating? I had a friend who went to College and was talking to his professor who stopped him mid sentence saying “what on earth are you doing with your hands?” And he was like chatting while his hand pretended to crooked grind his book. My wife calls me out on this all the time when she’s talking to me and I’m subconsciously thinking about skating. SMH.
[close]
ill do that whenever i’m nervous about something even if it isn’t skate related or whenever i’m trying a trick. it takes me to my happy place

This sounds like me too, it’s probably just my happy place. It’s part of me so whatever. If that’s my quirk I’ll be alright.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2021, 01:36:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone do the hands thing where you are like making your hand a skater doing a trick but there is no tech deck. Sometimes when NOT even talking or thinking about skating? I had a friend who went to College and was talking to his professor who stopped him mid sentence saying “what on earth are you doing with your hands?” And he was like chatting while his hand pretended to crooked grind his book. My wife calls me out on this all the time when she’s talking to me and I’m subconsciously thinking about skating. SMH.
[close]
ill do that whenever i’m nervous about something even if it isn’t skate related or whenever i’m trying a trick. it takes me to my happy place
[close]

This sounds like me too, it’s probably just my happy place. It’s part of me so whatever. If that’s my quirk I’ll be alright.

Same.

My wife once pulled a Theories tech deck out of her backpack that she’d been waiting to catch me doing the finger shit.

But, bailing on a session early
Opening your shoulders up on straight tricks
Being a pussy
Skating wheels way too long
Being a pussy
Starting drinking too early
p-shuvs and v-flips

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »
I noticed that I've recently started to clamp down on my tongue with my front teeth while I'm setting up for tricks I'm trying to learn. One wrong slam and I'm gonna bite that shit off.   

Get hungry on it!

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
my bad habit is time management. sometimes when i go out to skate i like to allot a certain amount of time that i want to be there so that i can get back home with enough time to cook dinner, call my family, etc. but most of the time i say i only want to skate for like an hour or hour and a half then end up staying way longer than that because my brain just shuts off

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 02:35:04 PM »
Sitting down way too early.
If I’m skating and warmed up I pretty much have to keep going, maybe just stop for a minute or two at a time if really necessary. If I sit down and rest for any longer than that my knees and legs start locking up/aching and I have a really difficult time re-warming up, so if that happens I’m pretty much done for the sesh. Having old man legs sucks.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 03:48:43 PM »
Getting stuck on proper kickflips. It doesn’t matter if I can do my other flatground tricks, some days I blow myself out just trying to do a nice level kickflip over and over.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 03:51:13 PM »
Kickflips. I'm old and don't skate much. I used to skate shorter tails so I always revert to putting my back foot way too deep in the pocket so my pop is trash and my flick is not timed right. That makes me question my foot placement for every kickflip and then I can't pull the trigger for about 30 minutes. My solution is to not try any kickflips until after my old ass has a good 30-minutes of warm up.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 04:40:02 PM »
When I pull up to a spot and there are a bunch of people I don't know I try my hardest to do a rocket ass ollie to show everyone how shitty of a skater I am. It creates no expectations on how good I might be.

I guess this embarrasses my friends that might be there and it kooks out the people that barley know me

I stand by it

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 04:51:11 PM »
Resenting my friend who never commits to anything and complains about not being able to skate much when he works right near a diy. It's my bad habit to care that deeply but I seriously grit my teeth on each trick he bunts.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2021, 04:56:49 PM »
A lot of times I'll have a trick in mind, but I'll tell myself that I need to land every easy trick similar to it before trying, then I get to tried on the easy stuff and don't try the trick I wanted to. Example: today I wanted to work on varial heels, so I figured the best thing to do was a bunch of front shuvs and heelflips, but heelflips just wouldn't work today. Tried for like 5 minutes and landed one tail dragger and one shitty one. I did the smart thing today and just went for the v heel and managed to get one, but it took until I was done skating to land.

Taking 20 last tries and holding my buddies up.

Just not being confident because I don't skate as much as I did in my 20s and teens. I've been learning that most of the tricks are still there and I don't need to skate 20 hours a week to keep up.

Sifter

• Rep: 46
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »
Skating on strong pain killers
Taking a chair to the local
Sit & Destroy
Joining my friends in 'doubles or 'triples' and doing some shit like a boardslide after they've done hard/technical tricks.
Telling young cunts how good Flip Sorry was/is

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2021, 09:13:07 PM »
Resenting my friend who never commits to anything and complains about not being able to skate much when he works right near a diy. It's my bad habit to care that deeply but I seriously grit my teeth on each trick he bunts.

Damn, dude. Words hurt too.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Slap’s Too Sensitive

• Rep: -5
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2021, 09:48:39 PM »
Sitting down to smoke cigarettes and talk shit at the spot instead of actually skate, maybe doing a few flat ground tricks while talking to a mate.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2021, 10:38:08 PM »
Not skating

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2021, 11:01:41 PM »
Having to drink/be drunk to skate.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2021, 12:02:44 AM »
Landing primo on kickflips... some days it puts me off even doing them.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2021, 12:20:35 AM »
I skip a session whenever there are too many scooters at the park... basically makes me miss every second session
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:43:55 AM by Prostate Exam »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2021, 12:43:21 AM »
Never leaving the meet-up spot for years, basically staying in my comfort zone (and not even a huge, perfect skatepark either).

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2021, 12:53:13 AM »
Not breathing when I’m trying tricks.

Oh man, I do something like this.  I hold my breath when I pop.  Every time.  I tried to fix it and exhale on the pop but that just fucked up what form I've got.  I've decided to live with it.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2021, 12:54:14 AM »
not ollieing before kickflipping ... aka the kickflop... which I pretty much land every go without fail... they aren't ever going to get up gutter though (i fluke out a proper kickflip every few years or so but I can't ever replicate them)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2021, 03:40:08 AM »
Getting stuck on proper kickflips. It doesn’t matter if I can do my other flatground tricks, some days I blow myself out just trying to do a nice level kickflip over and over.

This. Except that even my „proper“ kf‘s are mobbed  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

cky enthusiast

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2021, 05:17:35 AM »
alley oop bs feeble slides

weed

taking too many runs

airs to tail

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2021, 06:03:14 AM »
My pop is inherently poor but it also suffers from me being lazy and not trying hard to pop my tricks. So much easier to do it just high enough to work instead of high enough to look and feel good.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2021, 06:20:10 AM »
Expand Quote
People routinely have to tell me that I skate too fucking slow.
[close]

Damn, I feel like I'd get that critique if I skated with people that skate faster lol

My own worst habit is not changing the position of my back foot. It's constantly in the scoop position (not the pop position) which is fine for shuv-its, impossibles, and back 180s, but it's made kickflips and heelflips so much harder.

I do this too, if I’m not paying attention. Then I wonder why my kickflips go all shifty.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2021, 06:31:39 AM »
Not pacing myself when skating. I get exhausted after almost 2 hours trying an easy trick over and over.

Kickflips. I feel like I'm gonna have a bad day if I don't land one, and if I do land one, I want a better one and tire myself out doing that.

Doing the same lines over and over at the local park and not trying anything else.

Being too self conscious about my kits when no one actually cares lol

Brguy

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2021, 08:24:31 AM »
Hating on people when they're just trying to skate together, sometimes I just want to be alone skating for a while, not talk about tricks and life or whatever.

But if I’m battling a trick I’ll take a smoke and try the trick while smoking, we call this doing it for cancer Dan.
Definitely going to use that one. And talking shit on a session isn't a bad habit, is the best of them.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2021, 08:42:41 AM »
But if I’m battling a trick I’ll take a smoke and try the trick while smoking, we call this doing it for cancer Dan.

I've always done this as well but it's always been a way for me to not focus so much on the trick and almost clear my head so I'm more apt to just let me muscle memory do the trick for me. It probably doesn't make a difference at all, but in my head I feel like I don't overthink what I'm trying and it works out more often than not.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2021, 08:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've always done this as well but it's always been a way for me to not focus so much on the trick and almost clear my head so I'm more apt to just let me muscle memory do the trick for me. It probably doesn't make a difference at all, but in my head I feel like I don't overthink what I'm trying and it works out more often than not.

Honestly it works really well. Last weekend me and my buddy were skating a bowl. Said buddy was trying to air over a hip into a lipslide. He battled that shit for a long time. I was just trying to get a nollie disaster in the deep end, but homie was killing himself for this shit. He lit up a smoke, and said “yo Z this ones for corpsey”, nailed it that try. That shit straight up made the session.

I also realized I am hella judgmental of pad dads and I gotta stop because that’s some dickhead shit.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2021, 09:09:03 AM »

Relying on wax. I skate curbs a bunch and I compulsively wax the shit out of them. When I go to a park or skate a ledge, I need to stop myself from waxing it so much. I’ve had a couple times where I over waxed it and the ledge was wayyy too slick.

I hate over waxers, no offense. I have a friend that is a routine violator. I’ve eaten shit several times because someone waxed the whole ledge for lipslides/blunt slides not getting into a 5-0 or something. I’m not an anti waxer, if it sticks wax a bit still sticks? wax a bit more. Don’t just use half a stick of gulf wax when your the only one having trouble sliding.

My worst skate habits are probably:
Not stretching/warming up properly
Not trying to learn new tricks
Not skating as much as I should