Author Topic: Petition to change the date of Go Skate Day  (Read 2541 times)

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Petition to change the date of Go Skate Day
« on: June 16, 2021, 03:17:35 AM »
Skaters don't really need an excuse to go skate, but GSD is a good motivator to put on events etc. It's a cool concept to have one day where all sorts of shit is going on across the world. It always seemed kind of dumb to me that it was on the same day every year, and the concept of it seemed to die off after a few years since most of the time you can't do much. Would make way more sense if it was always on a Saturday.

I propose from 2022 GSD is on the Saturday before June 21st. Who started it origianlly, Soletech? Pierre André gotta be lurking these boards. Take note
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

breezer

• Rep: -17
Re: Petition to change the date of Go Skate Day
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 06:11:32 AM »
I had roll with a fried egg and veggie sausage for lunch.....it wasn't bad! 

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 06:21:35 AM »
You know it’s on the longest day of the year so you can skate outside as long as possible...right?  :o

I’m about to crush some hash browns, waffles, and veggie bacon.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Salmon Agah

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 06:36:53 AM »
Yes, it should be moved to the winter solstice, so we can skate as little as possible and drink as long as possible and talk about the tricks we used to be able to do when we did skate

linzrobertson

• Rep: -42
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »
Get Nak to do a livestream promoting the change I'm sure people will follow

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 07:26:53 AM »
I feel GSD lost it's novelty years ago. Big cities like NYC haven't had anything worthwhile in years and there's no announcements for this year either.

Skeleton Pudding

• Rep: 11
  • A liver and a frighter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 07:37:37 AM »
As a resident of Phoenix, where it's likely to be around 113 degrees in late June, I approve this message.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 07:39:03 AM »
You know it’s on the longest day of the year so you can skate outside as long as possible...right?  :o

Tempeh bacon is my jam!

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »
june 21st is my birthday so we're not changing it.  sorry

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 07:45:08 AM »
Change that shit to a Fall date so it’s not 100 degrees outside

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 07:56:31 AM »
Change that shit to a Fall date so it’s not 100 degrees outside

Came here to say this. Can we get a date where half the country is not at risk of catching a heat stroke?

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 08:01:29 AM »

Yo I didn't know this was the reason but it makes so much sense! SLAP's always teaching me shit

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »
Let's change GSD to December 25 so we always have an excuse to bring out a Christmas complete that day.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
Pretty sure Bod Doyle and Dwindle were behind this one (and of course iasc).

The point was to partially support skateboarding through a "holiday" and partially to stoke consumerism.

I can't remember the last time I did a go skateboarding day. The first couple years I was all about it, but, now, I don't need someone telling me when to go skateboarding.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
I thought that day was geared more towards kids to kick off summer vacation for them. As an adult I could care less what day it’s on really, but that’s just me I guess.

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 57
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »
I have recently discovered that a generous amount of panko sprinkled over a green bean casserole before it goes into the oven makes it less boring on the whole. In fact, it adds some nice, additional crunch. 

Grip Jobs

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 11:18:58 AM »
Go skate week
Starts second Saturday in June ends 3rd Sunday
Or shift GSW to first Saturday in September and keep go skate day as June 21st

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
Skate every day. Isn't June 21st also start of school holidays? Random days are better. Like who cares if it's Monday or Saturday still gonna skate. Also June 21 is "fête de musique" here in France so (before this fucking virus) heaps of streets were closed off and huge party's on them with obviously music... perfect day...

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 11:38:06 AM »
How about we just put that shit to bed.

cool spot

• Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 11:50:21 AM »
Yes, it should be moved to the winter solstice, so we can skate as little as possible and drink as long as possible and talk about the tricks we used to be able to do when we did skate

damn every day really is go skate day

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 12:05:43 PM »
I skate every got damn chance I get; I don’t give a hoot about summer solstice as far as making a date of it… I’m gonna try to skate THAT DAY too.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 12:41:26 PM »
i love the concept, but most gsd events i attended sucked. i even tried do my own at one point and i'm sure it sucked, too. sometimes it devolves into little skating and a lot of wannabe kotr contest stuff. it would be sick if everyone would meet up at spots and just skate, but usually the events end up being best trick contests where only sponsored locals will put down hammers and everyone else just watches. that always bums me out. you want to somewhat celebrate by having a chill sesh for as long as the sun stays up. but you end up being not able to skate anything in the park or at the one chill spot because there's some event going.

it doesn't matter much to me anyway because for some reason it rained on most gsds the last few years and i bet my ass this year it will rain, too. especially since it's really hot rn and that only holds up for a few days and is usually followed by a couple days of heavy rainstorms.

BillTetley

• Rep: 14
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »
I have recently discovered that a generous amount of panko sprinkled over a green bean casserole before it goes into the oven makes it less boring on the whole. In fact, it adds some nice, additional crunch.

My guy,

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 57
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 03:10:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My guy,

DOOD! I've been sautéing my own with inconsistent results. How did I not know about this?! Thank you!

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »
This shit has been on a weekday for the last handful of years I feel, it's hard to make it or even be motivated to go to whatever event is happening. I try to skate whenever I get the chance and don't need someone telling me (like others have said) but I'm a fan of having it on the weekend indeed.
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 04:06:43 PM »
Skaters don't really need an excuse to go skate, but GSD is a good motivator to put on events etc. It's a cool concept to have one day where all sorts of shit is going on across the world. It always seemed kind of dumb to me that it was on the same day every year, and the concept of it seemed to die off after a few years since most of the time you can't do much. Would make way more sense if it was always on a Saturday.

I propose from 2022 GSD is on the Saturday before June 21st. Who started it origianlly, Soletech? Pierre André gotta be lurking these boards. Take note

Some friends of mine run an outdoor company that has a big Solstice celebration component to it. In order to make sure that it runs ever year, it's always on the Saturday/Sunday nearest the solstice. I agree, this is how it should be done.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bootscootboogy

• Rep: 3
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 04:14:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

My guy,

[close]

DOOD! I've been sautéing my own with inconsistent results. How did I not know about this?! Thank you!
Why have y’all been making this without the recipe which is on the fried onions, for green bean casserole?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 05:13:51 PM »
Lots of kids just ditch school...and lots of adults can skate after work....I don't really see the issue.... Everyone skates over a bridge here...it's pretty fun, I think.  This year though, I'll prolly sit it out.  Things are getting a lot safer for sure but I'm ok just rolling around somewhere on my own....

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 09:41:46 PM »
It's interesting for sure, I think this was at a prime opportunity for parks and schools as well as local availability for hosting events. Maybe if it was even on the 9th would be possible
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby