Author Topic: Kickflip Fundamentals: correct your mobbed, ninja or rocket flips here  (Read 11715 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Saw a couple of topics come up recently asking for advice, thought a consolidated post for discussion would be great for pooling collective wisdom.

My kickflips have gone from ninja, mobbed, semi decent, decent, mobbed (bad ankle injury), can't do them, rocket, decent, ninja and mobbed. I developed a decent one last year after COVID but lost them and developed lots of excuses thereafter (new shoes, board steepness). Spent a good amount of time last night working on them last night and got some advice from park regulars, finally did a decently caught one slapping the back foot.

Issues:
Board was rotating frontside as I was flicking, I'm way more comfortable with hardflips and FS flips.
Fix:
Drag straight up and flick off the tip of the nose. I was dragging at an angle and flicking off the kick of the nose too early. Locked my shoulders parallel with the board too.

Issues:
Under-rotated flip.
Fix:
Placing my front foot further up the board from center of the board to just behind the bolts. I assumed that having more foot to drag would give me more height to time my flick. But that meant I was flicking prematurely, where the nose kicks up instead of the tip of the nose. Friends also noticed I would shift my front foot back slightly as I was crouching down to pop. Had to force myself to keep my front foot stationary while setting up.

Other things that helped:
Widening my stance especially since I like riding long-ish decks and slapping Ventures on them which widen the wheelbase even more. I've been shifting my front foot further up (just 1-2 fingers behind the bolts) and back foot further on the tip of the tail like Mike Mo explains in the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSa1TlAxtkM

Feel free to chime on whatever issues you may have.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skatebeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
Landing primo about 1 in every 15-20 flips.

I've got a decent kickflip, i can catch them pretty high with back foot... but every now and again I primo one, can be as often as a couple times a week if i'm doing them a lot. It's getting to the point where i sometimes just don't do them as i can't be dealing with jamming my back up.

I almost never primo heels...just kickflips and once in a blue moon on a varial flip.

I've tried different board widths and messing about with my flick, but nothing has outright cured it.

Interestingly I almost never primo fakie kickflips... so yeah, figure that one out. I stuck a vid up in the slap pals heel/kickflip shalom-off, be interested to hear if anyone sees me doing anything obviously wrong.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:16:30 AM by Skatebeard »

Doodily

• Rep: 5
Thanks for the post. I've spent the past year, off and on, trying to get my kickflips consistent. They are usually rocketed or I land one footed. When I do land, it feels super sketchy. But, I've been doing exactly what the video said - hanging my foot off and then it screws with my balance. I'll try his foot placement recommendation after work and see how it goes...

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
I, like many others, obsess over my kickflip and do whatever I can to improve it. Foot placement and weight distribution are huge considerations, but something i lose sight of at times is timing...

Making sure to slow myself down and really jump-pop-flick in that order always results in better kickflips for me. If I want to get them high, I imagine almost trying to knee myself in the chin with my front leg as I go up and extend it out for the flick.

I think Jordan Trahan has the best kickflips ever, so I try to emulate his approach.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
how do you lock your shoulders

I've been trying to lock mine forever but I always seem to throw my front shoulder back and open up frontside a lot.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427

I've been trying to lock mine forever but I always seem to throw my front shoulder back and open up frontside a lot.

If I notice I’m throwing my shoulder one way or another I’ll take my arm that’s my front arm and point to something. It don’t have to be crazy noticeable like point at the ground just point a foot or so in front of your board if you feel weird about pointing straight out. But it helped me lock  my shoulders

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

If I notice I’m throwing my shoulder one way or another I’ll take my arm that’s my front arm and point to something. It don’t have to be crazy noticeable like point at the ground just point a foot or so in front of your board if you feel weird about pointing straight out. But it helped me lock  my shoulders

More than just the shoulders, pay attention to your stance (hips and feet position). All parts of the kinetic chain (shoulders, hips, knees, feet) need to work in tandem, if not part of the body are going to want to rotate in different directions.

What @Peepeeboy69 said it true, it does start with where you are looking / eye point.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
I used to have a pretty decent kick flip and backside kick flip and that was pretty much it so I worked hard on both tricks.

For a good kick flip try the following:

Learn to kick flip over things (milk crates are a perfect size).
When you pop your back foot does not have to go straight up. Pop your back foot slightly back as this will shift some weight to the front foot.
Drag the side of your foot up the board like an Ollie and instead of stopping at the bolts push your front foot straight through the nose like the upturn is not there.

I never had a rocket issue because I learned kickflips at a time when everyone would blast their flip tricks. I feel certain tricks lend them selves to popping hard.

To kick flip good you perform the flick at the height of the Ollie. Then the board cannot rocket.

Joe Davola

• Rep: 59
At best, my kickflips look like this. They're usually lower and mobbed. I learned them when I was much younger and I'm pretty sure they never got any better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz59qc0tpso

I've been committed to having a better kickflip for a while now. I mean, obviously something is off, but I really have no idea what it is.

Brguy

At best, my kickflips look like this. They're usually lower and mobbed. I learned them when I was much younger and I'm pretty sure they never got any better.

I've been committed to having a better kickflip for a while now. I mean, obviously something is off, but I really have no idea what it is.
Do 'em faster, do 'em over stuff, it will progress naturally if you do it.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531

Yo I feel like you have a lot of the fundamentals down. I bet they'd be really fucking good if you extended that flicking leg out in the direction you're moving. You already tuck your knees very high, so if you can get your front leg to extend up and out like an ollie while flicking with your toe like that, they gonna be fiya

Edit: I watch this like a million times a week and picture it when 8 go to do kickflips. Try it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN7y6qolC1s/?utm_medium=copy_link

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Joe Davola

• Rep: 59
Expand Quote

[close]

Yo I feel like you have a lot of the fundamentals down. I bet they'd be really fucking good if you extended that flicking leg out in the direction you're moving. You already tuck your knees very high, so if you can get your front leg to extend up and out like an ollie while flicking with your toe like that, they gonna be fiya

Edit: I watch this like a million times a week and picture it when 8 go to do kickflips. Try it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN7y6qolC1s/?utm_medium=copy_link
Thanks, my brother. I've been skating for a pretty long time and have been trying to correct bad form this past year. My feet just automatically want to do some Wizard of Oz ruby slippers heel-clicking flying-V fuckery on every flip trick.

chris.

• Rep: 184

The thing that got my kickflips to a place where I'm happy with them is focusing on flicking late. Don't rush the front foot's slide up the board and then focus the flick more towards the center of the nose than you may think. That will get the front foot kicked out more in the direction your moving like Urtripping was saying as well. The slight delay on the flick fixed all my mob issues as well.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

The thing that got my kickflips to a place where I'm happy with them is focusing on flicking late. Don't rush the front foot's slide up the board and then focus the flick more towards the center of the nose than you may think. That will get the front foot kicked out more in the direction your moving like Urtripping was saying as well. The slight delay on the flick fixed all my mob issues as well.

This is the ticket, I'm much more comfortable with Hardflips or FS Flips because you flick off the side of the kick (concave) instead of the tip of the nose. When I really want to focus on doing a good kickflip, I slow down my drag and really delay my flick till its at the tip of the nose. You can feel the tension / resistance as your foot drags up and the toe flicks off. Delaying the drag and flicking off the nose ensures you are dragging straight up the board and not off the side which causes the board to want to turn frontside.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Peepeeboy69

why i landing all mine so shitty. My consistency is also so low I remember last year I was trying to flip into grinds and shit and now im lucky if i can get like 1/10 on flat.

my shoulder still tweak out and i almost always still have to kickturn away.

https://youtu.be/TMDygm0qLJM

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
why i landing all mine so shitty. My consistency is also so low I remember last year I was trying to flip into grinds and shit and now im lucky if i can get like 1/10 on flat.

my shoulder still tweak out and i almost always still have to kickturn away.

https://youtu.be/TMDygm0qLJM

I’ll trade you? Thing was popped! I have nothing to add but nice pop.

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
Weight distribution is a really underrated aspect of the trick especially if they consistently go behind you/rocket. I find the best way to get a clean,level well popped kickflip is to have it so your front foot is sort of just lightly resting flat on the board, and most of your weight/pressure is on the back leg.

It’s kind of hard to explain but I want to be clear you aren’t supposed to “lean back” or be off balance in any way. If you stand on two feet and put all your weight on your popping leg that’s how it should feel as opposed to using your whole body to lean backwards. Honestly this helps for pretty much every trick you pop regular but kickflips are the only flip trick I’m really good at so it’s the only one I really apply it to  ;D

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Weight distribution is a really underrated aspect of the trick especially if they consistently go behind you/rocket. I find the best way to get a clean,level well popped kickflip is to have it so your front foot is sort of just lightly resting flat on the board, and most of your weight/pressure is on the back leg.

It’s kind of hard to explain but I want to be clear you aren’t supposed to “lean back” or be off balance in any way. If you stand on two feet and put all your weight on your popping leg that’s how it should feel as opposed to using your whole body to lean backwards. Honestly this helps for pretty much every trick you pop regular but kickflips are the only flip trick I’m really good at so it’s the only one I really apply it to  ;D

I had some success with getting them popped last weekend by putting more weight on the back foot and shifting my front foot a little further behind the bolts, could really feel the tension and release to get the board more height.

FS and BS flips really mess up with the drag and posture of a kickflip, I lose consistency when I focus more on 1 trick than the other. Last year I had solid kickflips not not much else, this year I have solid FS flips and hardflips but my kickflips are ugly as sin. Had to tell myself to lock my hips and shoulders while dragging straight to flick of the nose instead of the edge of the kick.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:21:42 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODnfBx_eLQ

Tactics trick tip tutorials are severely underrated.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311

Yes, this is it and this is the thing for so many flip tricks.  I would get confused when people would say "put your weight back more" because I'd think "lean over the tail," but it's a little different.  It's less like your whole body weight and more "pressure" with the back foot, like you're trying to stamp out a cigarette with some extra force.  If you press down with the back foot, really dig in with the ball of your foot as you're getting ready to pop, it lightens the load on the front foot without lifting up the nose and it loads up the tail for a fast pop that makes a clean flick a lot easier. 

I think of it like a 360 flip, where that heavy pressure right around the toeside edge of the tail brings the board into contact with your front foot so forcefully after the scoop/pop that barely any flick is necessary to form the trick.  Same principle, IMO. 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
Watching this thread. Just relearned my heelflips over the nose (ollie + flick 'through' at the top) and i just know kfs are next. Have always just flipped my kick flips away from me or just upsidedown
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Watching this thread. Just relearned my heelflips over the nose (ollie + flick 'through' at the top) and i just know kfs are next. Have always just flipped my kick flips away from me or just upsidedown

Get that Heelflip BS out of here, this is for Kickflips ONLY!!

(JK, I hate on heelflips because I can't do them to save my life)

Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, this is it and this is the thing for so many flip tricks.  I would get confused when people would say "put your weight back more" because I'd think "lean over the tail," but it's a little different.  It's less like your whole body weight and more "pressure" with the back foot, like you're trying to stamp out a cigarette with some extra force.  If you press down with the back foot, really dig in with the ball of your foot as you're getting ready to pop, it lightens the load on the front foot without lifting up the nose and it loads up the tail for a fast pop that makes a clean flick a lot easier. 

I think of it like a 360 flip, where that heavy pressure right around the toeside edge of the tail brings the board into contact with your front foot so forcefully after the scoop/pop that barely any flick is necessary to form the trick.  Same principle, IMO. 

Kickflips and heelflips are more akin to an ollie in terms of pop and timing. Anything that causes the board to shove / rotate 180 (360 flips, FS / BS Flips) I think consider them leverage tricks, getting the weight distribution for the tension / release (as described by @silhouette) is 1/2 the battle.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
Re: Kickflip Fundamentals: correct your mobbed, ninja or rocket flips here
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2021, 12:41:33 PM »
Gonna work on a proper flick. Right now I'm doing what I think of as varial flip or switch heel flick. Lotta pressure going into it right now. I want to simply pop and flick like my heels

Atm back foot is in toe side pocket and my front big toe is on the bolts, pointed at a 45 degree angle. My hips are open as if I am going to back 180, but my shoulders have to be parallel to the board or I step off when I land The board flexes between my feet before I pop and it mobs up between my legs. Landed one the other day but lol it is not sustainable.

It's the weird varial/body varial flip zone you see a million kids travel in around early age I think. I'm feeling a bunch of nostalgia for pushing in front of my childhood home in knee pads. Watching Gonz in Video Days
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2021, 02:41:38 AM »
I know youtube skaters are corny as hell, but I had a shitty kickflip phase when I was focused on doing other flip tricks and ended up having a video from dan corrigan pop up in my recommended on how to kickflip clean. Honestly, it was solid and did a good job outlining the major points to getting a nice, level, backfoot catch sorta kickflip. Here's the vid:

https://youtu.be/jC47GDAPyOs

Switchflippa

• Rep: 0
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2021, 02:43:09 PM »
I started Working on my regular kickflips because i Hard them proper like a year ago when i Learnt them but Started mobbing later and it pisses me off. They suck Most of the Time and i mob mob, but sometimes i can do pretty good ones even though i flick down(like maybe 1,5 Decks high). Even when i flick off the nose they suck. My foot goes out but my leg goes ninja Kick out and down instead of up. I catch them and i flick Right but i cant flick up because i always Miss the flick like that. Need help dont know and People with This Problem and no Tutorials Adress This Problem. I do have proper switch Flips btw

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 11:04:05 AM »
My kickflips went to shit about a year ago and it definitely feels like the harder I try the worse they get, very demoralizing. This video got recommended to me yesterday and now I'm convinced its because i'm popping and flicking too hard. Still a little skeptical because its hard to trust random youtubers with science but that backside motion around like 4:30 is almost exactly a mirror image of my kickflips rn.

https://youtu.be/E9B4rAyOgVE

I want to try the fixes he suggest today but its raining :(. Thoughts?

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 12:02:12 PM »
My kickflips went to shit about a year ago and it definitely feels like the harder I try the worse they get, very demoralizing. This video got recommended to me yesterday and now I'm convinced its because i'm popping and flicking too hard. Still a little skeptical because its hard to trust random youtubers with science but that backside motion around like 4:30 is almost exactly a mirror image of my kickflips rn.

I kinda dig how crony the music is(weird YouTube charm) and it’s an interesting way to break it down.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 09:07:41 PM »
I stumbled upon the same video a few days ago and was about to post it here. It's a few steps above bro-science since he actually includes physics principles, but doesn't compensate for forward motion which affects how you drag, pop and flick.

My kickflips have been wildly inconsistent for the 2 years back, so I tried getting a gentler tap of the tail instead of stomping down hard they they were much more consistent, controlled and oddly higher (with less force) than before. Quite a fundamental shift in my skating since I always thought you had to stomp the hell of your tail for a solid pop or slam you truck in hard for a solid pinch; maybe a lighter touch equates to more control to maintain forward momentum.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 03:08:41 AM »
I look at the half full glass: Better a rocket flip than no kickflip at all.  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

scootmepls

• Rep: 0
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 03:21:12 PM »

wow thank you for this