Author Topic: Kickflip Fundamentals: correct your mobbed, ninja or rocket flips here  (Read 11716 times)

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
Re: Kickflip Fundamentals: correct your mobbed, ninja or rocket flips here
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2021, 05:25:10 PM »
My biggest problem with my kickflips is missing the flick and the board not flipping at all. Usually this looks like my front foot not dragging against the board at all and just going straight up and out. Sometimes it looks like I'm trying a weird, fucked up straight no comply. Is this because I'm flicking too soon?

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2021, 08:37:37 PM »
Sounds like you're flicking out/sideways to much or too early as opposed to straight forward and through the nose

goddamnyou

• Rep: 11
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2021, 07:28:51 AM »
If yall like science-based trick tips, there is this channel on youtube that has a bunch of them that I really like.  It's been inactive for long periods, but it just started posting again with voiceovers (previously it was all just text, which I prefer anyway.)

https://www.youtube.com/user/nollieskateboarding

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »
Cannot stand Dan Corrigan, but his kickflip is fuckin perfect. If only I didn't feel compelled to mute his kf tutorial....
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2022, 07:23:45 PM »
My biggest problem with my kickflips is missing the flick and the board not flipping at all. Usually this looks like my front foot not dragging against the board at all and just going straight up and out. Sometimes it looks like I'm trying a weird, fucked up straight no comply. Is this because I'm flicking too soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODnfBx_eLQ
I've been recommending this video if I want to show a positive demonstration of where to flick the deck - right off the tip of the nose.

A video of yourself attempting them would be helpful too.

https://youtu.be/wSa1TlAxtkM
I used to swear by Mike Mo's popping foot placement but depending on my deck & truck combination I was getting loads of ghost pop. If you're not getting a solid pop of the tail, play around adjusting your back foot placement closer or further away from the edge of the tail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYZ4l6ldakU
Solid pop doesn't equate to stomping the hell out of the tail, that usually results in your nose shooting up faster than you can drag to level out and flick. But making sure your tail snaps against the ground firmly so it can continue its upward motion as you jump upwards.

Did my best kickflips of 2021 by lightening my pop, adjusting my back foot position and focusing on dragging straight forward while flicking off the nose. Kickflips are my last remaining flatground trick and I'm trying my damnest to improve them till I die.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GliderSkateboards

• Rep: 35
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2022, 12:11:56 AM »

I feel like this is happening because you are trying to flick the board right when you pop, versus doing a pre-flick (rolling your ankle) on your flicking foot when you pop the tail. Ideally, we should be flicking at the time we try to slide our front foot for an ollie

Enko

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2022, 04:45:05 PM »
Hey guys, maybe someone can help.
I land my kickflips but I‘m always dragging my back toe on the ground. Like I land with my heel and the rest of the foot catches ground.

I thought I might need to keep my shoulders and hips parallel to the board and maybe not lean to the frontside of the board.

Maybe one of you guys had the same problem.

Best regards

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2022, 07:42:39 AM »
Hey guys, maybe someone can help.
I land my kickflips but I‘m always dragging my back toe on the ground. Like I land with my heel and the rest of the foot catches ground.

I thought I might need to keep my shoulders and hips parallel to the board and maybe not lean to the frontside of the board.

Maybe one of you guys had the same problem.

Best regards

Share a video to help us visualize it please.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2022, 07:46:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://youtu.be/wSa1TlAxtkM
I used to swear by Mike Mo's popping foot placement but depending on my deck & truck combination I was getting loads of ghost pop. If you're not getting a solid pop of the tail, play around adjusting your back foot placement closer or further away from the edge of the tail.

I actually came here to post that same Mike Mo video. The back foot placement helped immensely in improving my kickflips, as did keeping more of my front foot on the board.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2022, 07:11:46 PM »
Gotta try Mike Mos way the next time I skate. I actually tend to have my back foot a tad more toe side so it’ll be an adjustment.

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2022, 08:56:26 AM »
been working on kickflips again and i’m really overthinking it probably-

when yall kickflip, is the flick a deliberate motion or just an extension of the ollie drag?

i can heel fairly consistently and when i do those its just an ollie with extra power and diff foot position (no ankle finesse at all)

what im asking is do you just drag your toe through the pocket or are you flicking the pocket with a 1-2 motion of your ankle?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »

when yall kickflip, is the flick a deliberate motion or just an extension of the ollie drag?

i can heel fairly consistently and when i do those its just an ollie with extra power and diff foot position (no ankle finesse at all)

what im asking is do you just drag your toe through the pocket or are you flicking the pocket with a 1-2 motion of your ankle?

It's deliberate but delicate if that makes sense. On video / photos it always looks like a ninja kick outward to get the deck flipping. But its more about focusing your drag (deliberate) to where you want to flick off (the tip of the nose or edge of the pocket) gently with the ankle twitch (delicate). Your dragging till just about the pocket / tip of the nose and flicking off, the nose catching your foot during the flick get the rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODnfBx_eLQ

It's timestamped for convenience.

My friend broke it down best - everything similar to an ollie then you flick off the nose. Every time I've thought of kickflips as it's own trick, I get rocket / mob / no flips.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »

I lost my kickflips after rolling my ankle last year and just got them back two weekends ago.

My kickflip is an extension of the ollie drag and not a deliberate 1-2 but there is timing for the extension which makes it a sort-of 1-2.  I Gotta extend out diagonally right when I would normally level out/bone the ollie. 

The thing that got my kickflips back and better than ever two weeks ago is this: I stopped looking at my feet before I popped. 

I had this epiphany after watching people flip over gaps/down sets at speed.  Those fuckers aren't studying their feet, they're looking at where they're going to pop and will only look down as they're popping or as they're flicking.

Now I set up for a kickflip like I would set up for an ollie at speed: a quick check that my feet are in position, then look at where I'm going to pop, pop, flick/extend and look down.  Took me a second to get used to this but now when I get it right, the board flips straight as an arrow with a back foot catch and I don't have to jump slightly to the heelside like I used to.  I was more stoked on the first one I landed than I had any right to be.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
For some reason I can't get myself to commit on kick/heelflips. I can flick both of them fine 9/10 tries, but I'll move my back foot out of the way before I land. I've landed maybe 5 flip tricks after battling them for so long during a session that I get angry at myself and just commit. Can't seem to get that kind of commitment during the first 30 minutes of practicing them. If anyone can give me some tips on keeping my back foot above the board I'd be happy pick kickflips back up again.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
For some reason I can't get myself to commit on kick/heelflips. I can flick both of them fine 9/10 tries, but I'll move my back foot out of the way before I land. I've landed maybe 5 flip tricks after battling them for so long during a session that I get angry at myself and just commit. Can't seem to get that kind of commitment during the first 30 minutes of practicing them. If anyone can give me some tips on keeping my back foot above the board I'd be happy pick kickflips back up again.

it helps me to think about lifting my back leg straight up when I pop, as if taking a large step up onto something.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2022, 01:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it helps me to think about lifting my back leg straight up when I pop, as if taking a large step up onto something.

Tried it yesterday and finally landed on my back foot for the first time since probably about half a year. Now it's a matter of getting them consistent, but my hopes of learning flip tricks are starting to come back.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »
Any tips to make the board flip faster?

when i was learning my big issue was getting my front foot on, otherwise the board would flip real fast and good and thwap my back foot, so once I learned them I could do them well for a bit. Now the board flips so slow even though I put in so much effort, I rarely if ever get back foot catch, and turn backside like a mofo.

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2022, 06:53:10 AM »
It's deliberate but delicate if that makes sense. On video / photos it always looks like a ninja kick outward to get the deck flipping. But its more about focusing your drag (deliberate) to where you want to flick off (the tip of the nose or edge of the pocket) gently with the ankle twitch (delicate). Your dragging till just about the pocket / tip of the nose and flicking off, the nose catching your foot during the flick get the rotation.

My kickflip is an extension of the ollie drag and not a deliberate 1-2 but there is timing for the extension which makes it a sort-of 1-2.  I Gotta extend out diagonally right when I would normally level out/bone the ollie. 

thank yall so much. havent had much time to practice these but i thought about these tips and got a couple kickflips yesterday  :)

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2022, 07:08:16 AM »
Something that I discovered was to point the toes on the back foot straight forward. I noticed I'm mad duck footed and once i switch to pointing straight ahead with the back foot they got more consistent

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2022, 03:45:58 PM »
I am a firm believer in studying footage of what you want to achieve (as well as footage of your current technique). I know right now I'm focusing on two things to make my kickflips look better (you can see Aiden Olmstead doing both here):

1. Pointing with my lead hand in the direction I want my flick to travel (forward through the nose).

2. Fully extending my lead leg post flick

Seeing it is helpful for me because when I go out and skate, I can think back and visualize key details from the sample I studied. Plus, watching a gif like this over and over can help internalize what the timing should be like.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2022, 08:09:13 PM »
Adding some notes from the weekend.

1) Pop light
Prior to 2021 I was popping my kickflips off my nose, the added steepness helped me get really lofty ones because I'm always popping way too hard. Struggled with them when I decided to learn popping them off my tail. Cracked my tail yesterday so I was tried them of my nose again and they were most consistent in months i.e. I'm popping way too hard off my tail.

2) Straighten your hips
I would align my shoulders to be parallel with the deck but my deck would still end up going sideways. So in addition to my shoulders I checked my hips to make sure they were aligned with my shoulder too. That helped the deck stay under me too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2022, 10:03:15 PM »
This thread rocks, tons of great advice in there, y'all killing it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »
This thread rocks, tons of great advice in there, y'all killing it.

Still waiting on your 2000 word manifesto on tension / flex / spring on kickflips....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2022, 10:24:46 PM »
Ha, I feel like that would be redundant, I've explained them quite a few times on here before and everyone in this thread I feel like already covered everything brilliantly. It definitely made a whole world of difference for my own kickflips when I realized how tension important was for that trick though, you want to feel it before you pop, front foot has to be lodged somewhere deeper in the board most people tend to think for proper response (since you want an actual ollie into your kickflips and then a 'later' flick), and it's mostly your the big toe on your back foot that should drive the tail down so that the concave really sticks then reacts to your flick once at peak height. Sort of like if you were trying to counter a straight pressure flip in theory (but it really doesn't feel that way in practice - you want a straight downwards pop and solid smack of the tail - and so no one should actually follow that logic). Focusing on extending the front leg as encouraged above is also fundamental.

My best advice at this point would be to just watch a lot of Christian Maalouf parts, or Kalis' ender in Peep This is also a good one to study. If anyone remembers the Post Your Kickflip thread, that one was also great to see all the different ways people do that trick.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2022, 04:25:36 PM »
not to brag, but my kickflips were never horrible. nonetheless, this helped me get them a lot higher:
-front foot with the toes about a cm behind the bolts, angled between 45 and 90 degrees
-also keep the front foot more in the middle of the board, similar to ollie position
-ball of the back foot on the tip of the tail
-pop hard, flick hard and jump high
-suck your knees up as much as you can

:)
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
I can do backside flips, varial kickflip and halfcab flip nearly every try. Somehow I am still unable to do a normal kickflip. I have  no clue what the hell is wrong with me. No matter how i adjust I end up underflipping and landing it upside down or primo. The best i can do is a very sketchy rocketed kickflip. All advice on how to unrocket them leads me back to the first underflipped version.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2022, 07:57:53 AM »
What does sitting "backseat" mean? I've been hearing that phrase a lot with kickflips

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2022, 08:10:52 AM »
What does sitting "backseat" mean? I've been hearing that phrase a lot with kickflips

I guess maybe crouching more over the back half of the board when you pop? I do my varial flips like that but regular kickflips i'm pretty centred over the board when I set up.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2022, 12:54:14 PM »
Doing lots of popped fakie flips helped my normal kickflip immensely. I basically use the Mike Mo/Ben Degros flick foot position and Mike Mo's rear foot position. Pop a fast ollie and I don't even need to really think about flicking more than "straight through the nose-ish". Basically just ollie'ing and tossing out my front foot a bit harder once the nose is up. The front foot position gets the foot off the board really quick and the foot hitting the nose during the flick stops the nose from rising. The quick pop with the rear foot combined with the nose ceasing to rise helps bring the board up nicely for a rear foot catch.

The reason why fakie helped me was that at least for my fakie tricks I snap quicker than skating regular. I practiced the timing to the point where it was second nature.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2022, 06:45:31 AM »
At best, my kickflips look like this. They're usually lower and mobbed. I learned them when I was much younger and I'm pretty sure they never got any better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz59qc0tpso

I've been committed to having a better kickflip for a while now. I mean, obviously something is off, but I really have no idea what it is.

Looks better than mine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwl8XFSNDI8&list=PLNe6TgpvfUYq66AgyKG1E-jWE2sCrCIZi
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser