Author Topic: Did the Olympics come too late for Nyjah?  (Read 6831 times)

pro club blanks

Re: Did the Olympics come too late for Nyjah?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but; I'd rather see Nyjah as the face of skateboarding than Chris Cole, who would have taken it for sure if the olympics had skateboarding in it a decade ago.
Nah chris cole at least had in bloom and dying to live before he went full gnarlytown

Nyjah was never cool at all

RajeevWins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 12:03:28 PM »
If Nyjah has a good day, which he normally has, he's gonna win.

If he doesn't have a good day, then Yuto might win if he's the one having a good day.

If they're both having good days and are dialed in, Nyjah takes it imo.

With this said, we saw how Yuto won in Rome, and if he trains a few gnarly rail tricks before the Olympics start, he might have a chance. Let's see what Nyjah and Yuto bring to the table.

Personally I'm rooting for Yuto, but don't mind Nyjah winning either, but I can't see anybody else taking it from those two.

Agreed, however I also think the scoring format needs adjustment. At least one of the runs should have to be included in the total score. Yuto fucked off both his runs and just did 4 dope tricks to win.

i came up through the "niggas don't skate days"

sketchyrider

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »
Nyjah came too early

finally something nyjah and i have in common

D10S

• Rep: -51
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »
I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but; I'd rather see Nyjah as the face of skateboarding than Chris Cole, who would have taken it for sure if the olympics had skateboarding in it a decade ago.

Cole has two STOY trophies given to him by Phelps. Granted, he's managed to become cringe AF but
2008/2009 Cole > 2021 Nyjah

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 01:21:15 PM »
The question is did the Olympics come too late for Nyjah? If covid hadn’t happened and Nyjah hadn’t spent his lockdown super spreading and coming down from mdma and ghb highs, would yuto not have come through and snatched the gold? Would Nyjah be on these American cereal boxes, not Zion? And what does it mean for skateboarding’s future if the USA don’t get gold in the sport they invented? Or if Zion is the skate darling of the Olympic viewing public?

a torn ACL and meniscus at the age of 47, the subsequent surgery, and not being able to skate consistently for the past few years since, does not make me feel nearly as old as the genuine indifference that i feel does, when reading any of this right here

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 01:28:17 PM »
I hope not. I came a little too early for Nyjah once and he did not like it.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2021, 01:37:09 PM »
Expand Quote
how do you go from crust punk to liking fugazi + warped tour?
[close]

Fugazi does have that all subgenre appeal. However, I’ve never once known of a kid to rip off his nausea shirt and antischism ass flag to put on a nofx shirt and pogo at a pennywise show.

I can picture it now…. A man finally moves back in with his parents after months of pleading with him to utilize the degree they paid $60k+ for and not beg for change and pretend to train hop with his questionable friends who also came from an upper middle class home. He finally gets to his parents house in New Haven, CT after a long flight from Louisville. He drops his Alice pack at the door but his faithful mutt, Barney, was left at a train station three states and a time zone away.

He goes to the bathroom and looks in the mirror. He picks up a set of sheers and lops of his dreads and shaves off the disgusting patch work beard he spend his gap years trying to grow. He cuts off his patch laden black pants, his lips tremble as he sees the skitsystem patch staring back at him, he knows this is the end of his prolonged youth. His Doom shirt is on the floor, permeating the stench of stale 211 and hand rolled cigarettes. “I guess that’s going in the trash too.” He mumbles. He glances at his iPhone and sees a text from his father, “Great news, Brandon! I got you an interview at this really exciting finance start up. We’ll talk when I get home!” He smiles, excited for this next chapter. With phone in hand he does the unthinkable, opens up Spotify and finds a Fat Wreck playlist and hits play. “Now this is what I’ve been looking for…”

While I couldn't care less about modern day olympics or Neinja, that was a really grabbing story!

Also the Soy Panday's art part, ah ah damn!!

Thanks people :)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2021, 01:39:16 PM »
Fugazi sound like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I am psyched that none of my friends pretend to be into them anymore.

Dudecahedron

• Rep: 2
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2021, 01:45:55 PM »
I truly don’t think it impacts how 99.9 percent of skaters relate to skateboarding one bit, regardless of what happens at the olympics and that is the beautiful thing about skating; it is what you make it…sport, hobby, art, lifestyle…whatever you want.

Yuto is truly beautiful and tasteful on a skateboard in a way that Nyjah never has been and I’m glad he’s getting shine. Also Yuto has not been accused of rape by multiple people, has not to my knowledge made demeaning comments to girls/women/queer people in skateboarding, just saying.

It’s cool to see the international scenes developing, and skating being accessible to all identities of people. We all love the same thing, from Cuba to Ghana to Italy to Palestine. I’d rather explore that than speculate on whether so and so is over-the-hill and fixate on medal counts.

I do however hope America loses because I’m disgusted by the genocidal, colonial, and imperial planet-destroying legacy that is the truth of this country.

All war is class war

SSSSHHHAAAALLLOOOOMMM

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2021, 02:04:14 PM »
What did Soy Panday do to you, son of a bitch?
p-shuvs and v-flips

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »
When the Olympics come around, I am always stoked when an unknown/underdog comes in to win the event. I will be watching for that reason and that reason only...

conqueso

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 02:13:14 PM »
fugazi ass thread if you ask me. gotta route for young jah

you'd rather see jager eaton? that kid looks like he should be singing country music or playing golf at his parents mansion

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2021, 02:15:30 PM »
What‘s wrong with Fugazi now? Repeater was dope.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
Naw, it would have been P-Rod, who would have been infinitely better than Nyjah. P-Rod also would have faired significantly better than most skaters in the typical Olympic bullshit interviews with mainstream media like the Today Show or even a late-night talk show.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »
I'd like to hear more about this person that transitions from Amebix to Lagwagon please. What has to happen for that to occur?

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2021, 03:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Do crust punks listen to Fugazi? Everyone like Fugazi right? One thing's for sure though, Fugazi never made shirts.
[close]

“You are not what you own”
[close]

This is the only official shirt Fugazi ever produced everything else is a bootleg

Not official

https://www.culturecreature.com/fugazi-shirt-nirvana-seahorse/
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Red Eyed Swimmer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2021, 03:18:22 PM »

If he doesn't have a good day, then Yuto might win if he's the one having a good day.

With this said, we saw how Yuto won in Rome, and if he trains a few gnarly rail tricks before the Olympics start, he might have a chance. Let's see what Nyjah and Yuto bring to the table.

Personally I'm rooting for Yuto, but don't mind Nyjah winning either, but I can't see anybody else taking it from those two.
but then micky papa throws down a double varial flip front feeble and Japan and the US go dark

SharkJohnson

• Rep: -92
  • i am a shark penis
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »
the olympics didnt cum at all. Nyjah is a very shellfish lover

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2021, 03:23:04 PM »
I'd like to hear more about this person that transitions from Amebix to Lagwagon please. What has to happen for that to occur?
Conformity

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2021, 03:48:28 PM »
Jagger Eaton's arm steez makes him look like he should be skating in the adaptive skating comp.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2021, 04:21:22 PM »
Jagger Eaton's arm steez makes him look like he should be skating in the adaptive skating comp.

Is Jagger Eaton the most hated Olympic athlete ever?

cuz I fucking hate him

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2021, 04:29:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

cuz I fucking hate him
i too can’t stand him

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2021, 04:52:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

cuz I fucking hate him

Ryan Lochte

Shaun White did some horrible shit to the female drummer of his “band”

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2021, 05:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
but then micky papa throws down a double varial flip front feeble and Japan and the US go dark

Or Shane just stays on his board. That’s what I’m hoping for.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2021, 05:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Young teenagers in the early 90s. But no one would ever admit the warped tour part.

I skipped out on free tickets to Warped Tour in order to see Behead the Prophet No Lord Shall Live in a basement
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Young teenagers in the early 90s. But no one would ever admit the warped tour part.
[close]

I skipped out on free tickets to Warped Tour in order to see Behead the Prophet No Lord Shall Live in a basement

God I wish I could gnar this more than once.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
Nyjah is 26 and the next Olympics will be when he’s 29. He’s getting 2 cracks at it before he’s 30. He’s fine.

Let’s instead start the real list of guys for whom the Olympics came way too late. I’ll start.

Chris Cole.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2021, 05:26:31 PM »
Nyjah is 26 and the next Olympics will be when he’s 29. He’s getting 2 cracks at it before he’s 30. He’s fine.

Let’s instead start the real list of guys for whom the Olympics came way too late. I’ll start.

Chris Cole.

Tony Hawk, Vov, all the vert giants.   

valuecommonsense

• Rep: -69
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2021, 05:56:47 PM »
Yes it's too late, he's been the best skater for the past 12 years, he was likely good enough to earn 5-6 golds if the olympics was there from the start holding records that would never be beaten.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 06:14:20 PM »
Yes it's too late, he's been the best skater for the past 12 years, he was likely good enough to earn 5-6 golds if the olympics was there from the start holding records that would never be beaten.

Your math adds up