Author Topic: Wallies at straight walls?  (Read 885 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
Wallies at straight walls?
« on: June 18, 2021, 01:41:35 AM »
Yo, that trick fucked my ankle and since then, I can only think about how to get these down. I can Wallie small things when they have an angle, but mostly just with my back truck. Anyone on here got the secret for Wallies out of straight walls?
IG: @flowterspace

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
Re: Wallies at straight walls?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 03:21:29 AM »
I like to ride straight at the edge of the wall and turn my shoulders as if I'm winding up for a bs180 then it's an aggressive manual into the wall while rotating your shoulders to get away from the wall at the end after your back trucks hit it.
i find as soon as your front truck is off the wall tuck your knees and do an ollie motion with your front foot to keep the board under your feet and not in your gooch

but then i've seen other people hit the wall at a 45 degree angle and do the same thing without rotating their shoulders so its worth trying a few different methods

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
if you're ever in a situation with a bank to wallie spot, those are ideal for getting the motion of the trick and really getting used to 4 wheels on the wall. i learned wallies first on this of all things:

straight up wallies are harder and seem to have more of a mental block. if you can find something ie a bench/wall/etc thats about knee height, you can learn them off those off the corner which will give you the feel of it. in my time of teaching people how to do them i find it goes in 3 stages; the first being the kinda sloppy back wheel bonk, the second being all 4 hitting most of the time, and the third being real confident with them and feeling/understanding the wheels rolling up and off the object.

as self serving as it is, heres some screengrabs of probably my favourite thing to wallie in the hopes it'll help in terms of positioning/where to put yourself:

it's generally a hard trick to try and explain or give a trick tip for, because it really is just a case of full commitment and bashing the fuck out of it, and i think thats where a lot of people come short. around knee height is ideal for a wallie, obviously you can go bigger with time but generally knee height or something that allows all four wheels to connect are great as shorter ones tend to do weird wallies where the front hits, goes up then the back hits and bonks up whereas you ideally want all four wheels hitting.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 07:39:39 AM »
In on the toes and launch off your heels.....that's the trick...from being on the wall to your board flattening out ie. not primo'ing....it's all in the heels....do them on a corner...

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 12:35:46 PM »
I made a similar thread a while back: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115763.0

I have the same problem. I can wallie things waist height or lower but anything higher and I tend to hit my butt on the obstacle or do a small, crappy wallie off the bottom corner.

In that thread, NG said to go at the obstacle less straight on and more parallel when you're wallieing something above waist height. I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 11:08:37 PM »

study slide 2