Author Topic: Dave Abair RIP  (Read 50215 times)

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Re: Dave Abair RIP
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2021, 12:44:58 AM »
This sucks.

Rest in Peace.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2021, 06:07:00 AM »
RIP. was on another level speed wise.

also if you have to ask how someone passed, it’s prolly not ur biz

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »
Hey backside_reacharound,

All I'm saying is let the man be mourned by his family and put in the ground before strangers start asking questions. We all are going to find out eventually. Just the wording of this sentence, "Yeah, what happened? I feel like we should know how these things happen." came of really smug and entitled and not genuine to me.

Don't worry, your cautionary tale is on the way.

coneklr

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2021, 09:02:54 AM »

All I'm saying is let the man be mourned by his family and put in the ground before strangers start asking questions. We all are going to find out eventually. Just the wording of this sentence, "Yeah, what happened? I feel like we should know how these things happen." came of really smug and entitled and not genuine to me.

Nah, that guy can fuck right off too.  When one of his friends dies I hope he doesn't have to deal with the "we deserve to know what happened crowd"  As you said, things will eventually come out, show some fucking class and wait.  If you don't know what happened you weren't close enough to need to know. Nothing about being righteous, it's about showing some fucking respect and human decency.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2021, 10:02:06 AM »
Since we’re arguing about wether it’s cool or not to ask what happen I figured I’d point out walker Ryan is posting articles about SF fentanyl busts so you can probably piece together what happened here. RIP Dave you were so fun to watch on a skateboard.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2021, 10:11:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah, that guy can fuck right off too.  When one of his friends dies I hope he doesn't have to deal with the "we deserve to know what happened crowd"  As you said, things will eventually come out, show some fucking class and wait.  If you don't know what happened you weren't close enough to need to know. Nothing about being righteous, it's about showing some fucking respect and human decency.

cool, so self-righteousness then, great.

i don't agree with you, and you can fuck off with your hostility.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2021, 12:51:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Your lack of empathy and social incompetence is really appaling.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2021, 01:09:30 PM »
Enough of questions that you know are upsetting his friends. BTW @coneklr has called him a close friend so can we get back to honoring the guy as best we can by discussing his skills or a session with him or whatever. Here is something to change the vibe:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJcNnMtlQkV/?hl=en

coneklr

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2021, 01:12:29 PM »
Enough of questions that you know are upsetting his friends. BTW @coneklr has called him a close friend so can we get back to honoring the guy as best we can by discussing his skills or a session with him or whatever. Here is something to change the vibe:

Thank you my man!  This should really be an appreciation thread at this point.  Apologies for my part in derailing.  Hurting right now so it's been hard to keep my cool.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

you dont get to dictate how people mourn and grieve, expecially people that knew the person who passed.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2021, 05:47:37 PM »
Walker Ryan is a solid dude. Put together a tribute page for Dave.

https://www.instagram.com/daveabairforever/?hl=en

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2021, 08:25:45 PM »
I am really nostalgic for a time when you could go a month without some notable skater dying.   It’s ridiculous at this point how often the community is losing someone like.   Not to mention if this is happening that quickly to people we know in the industry, how much the wider skate community is likely suffering with losing their friends and loved ones to drugs, mental health crises, general health crises.   

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2021, 02:03:06 AM »
Not to be that guy, and not to take away from the loss snd sadness our community has experienced, but skaters are but a drop in the bucket of those who have lost that battle.

If you are dealing with mental health issues, drug or alcohol problems, or anything similar, please consider seeing a therapist - and if you and said therapist don’t match up well, try again. It’s difficult, but, try not be dissuaded by the cost.

There are several national organizations, like Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), that can help you find free or low-cost online therapists or resources.
I don’t have experience with these orgs, but many colleges offer free therapy to their students. I’ve definitely taken that up.

Sorry to harp, but this is often more than a “hug your friends” issue.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Oliver Plunketts Head

• Rep: 6
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2021, 03:55:25 AM »
Random comment  but I feel like I became aware of Abair and Austin Kanfoush around the same time period. I loved the rawness of how they both skated.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2021, 08:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you my man!  This should really be an appreciation thread at this point.  Apologies for my part in derailing.  Hurting right now so it's been hard to keep my cool.

Reach out if you need to talk my friend.

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2021, 08:37:20 AM »
I bought his Sports scumco board and it should arrive today.

Idk if I want to skate it or hang it on the wall. The former will get me hyped and the latter will feel bittersweet in remembrance

coneklr

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2021, 08:42:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Reach out if you need to talk my friend.

Thank you, I truly appreciate the offer

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2021, 06:45:32 PM »
Fucking shit man, it feels like every time I come on SLAP I get worried about seeing the name of somebody I've given a shit about for a long time at the top of the page... Been a fan since Yellow Brand & being a life-long New Englander, respected him even that much more. Rest easy Dave, some time this world is just too fucked up.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2021, 03:18:42 AM »
wow, weird as i am and have been in the process of restoring my scumco dave abair piss teddy bear graphic. i still have the tinkle tarp. really fucking lame
even the steven

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2021, 06:30:51 AM »
https://vimeo.com/459561171

Never seen this one before. So damn good. Legend.

RIP
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2021, 07:55:19 AM »
absolute legend.

free max b
FREE MAX B

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Re: Dave Abair missing!! SF Folks Keep an Eye Out!!
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »
So I strangely think of him almost every morning WAYYYY before all this.

He had a day in the life video that shows him bombing hills in SF to get warmed up. It’s a small detail but he always got the ice water to go with his morning coffee and I’ve done that ever since seeing that!! Thanks for the constant stoke and reminder to stay hydrated Abair!!

RIP to a fellow New Englander, you’re a legend

this is sick! had to run the combo this morning! gotta carry the torch.

laramieskate55

• Rep: -46
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »
So many idiots freaking out about the absolutely common reaction of wondering how someone died.

Get over yourselves, it's tragic that the dude passed for sure, but if it can serve as a cautionary tale to the thousands of skateboarders who are out there taking risks in one way or another everyday that would be a GOOD thing. You can guarantee there isn't a single person who has unfortunately rolled out before their time that wouldn't want people to learn from their experiences somehow.

The self-righteousness is a joke.

Exactly. If the guy died from taking drugs, maybe people should know that? If it's true that he died from fentanyl, perhaps other people thinking of taking pills might think twice before doing so. 

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2021, 02:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote
So many idiots freaking out about the absolutely common reaction of wondering how someone died.

Get over yourselves, it's tragic that the dude passed for sure, but if it can serve as a cautionary tale to the thousands of skateboarders who are out there taking risks in one way or another everyday that would be a GOOD thing. You can guarantee there isn't a single person who has unfortunately rolled out before their time that wouldn't want people to learn from their experiences somehow.

The self-righteousness is a joke.
[close]

Exactly. If the guy died from taking drugs, maybe people should know that? If it's true that he died from fentanyl, perhaps other people thinking of taking pills might think twice before doing so.

holy shit, when will you two fuckos stop?

what is so hard to understand about the words "rest in peace" and "respect" in the context of griefing family and friends?

have you not have a family member die before? do you think your attitude is appropiate?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2021, 06:37:32 AM »
Since we’re arguing about wether it’s cool or not to ask what happen I figured I’d point out walker Ryan is posting articles about SF fentanyl busts so you can probably piece together what happened here. RIP Dave you were so fun to watch on a skateboard.

When someone goes missing, last seen in the TL and then turns up dead there aren't really all that many lines to read between.

I think most people know I'm a scumco guy and Abair was one of my favorite skaters so this really hurts. Aside from all the raw hill bombing madness I always loved watching him do heelflips. He had a good one and you could tell he just loved doing them.

This isn't necessarily related to Dave but I was a heroin addict for years. Luckily I more or less cleaned my act up in 2014, so I just barely missed the beginning of the fentanyl age but I've lost a lot of friends and acquaintances to it since then. Opiate addiction seems so much more dangerous now than it used to be and in my mind it's not really a question of if you'll end up falling out anymore, just a matter of when. If you or someone close to you is struggling with opiate addiction but not ready for treatment yet then please, please look into getting a narcan prescription. It really does save lives and I keep one at home and one in my book bag just in case. It's super easy to administer and very effective at reversing opiod overdoses.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 51
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When someone goes missing, last seen in the TL and then turns up dead there aren't really all that many lines to read between.

I think most people know I'm a scumco guy and Abair was one of my favorite skaters so this really hurts. Aside from all the raw hill bombing madness I always loved watching him do heelflips. He had a good one and you could tell he just loved doing them.

This isn't necessarily related to Dave but I was a heroin addict for years. Luckily I more or less cleaned my act up in 2014, so I just barely missed the beginning of the fentanyl age but I've lost a lot of friends and acquaintances to it since then. Opiate addiction seems so much more dangerous now than it used to be and in my mind it's not really a question of if you'll end up falling out anymore, just a matter of when. If you or someone close to you is struggling with opiate addiction but not ready for treatment yet then please, please look into getting a narcan prescription. It really does save lives and I keep one at home and one in my book bag just in case. It's super easy to administer and very effective at reversing opiod overdoses.

What this guys says! Connect the dots and let it be up to the family if they want to share. He gave us some good parts. He was a sponsored skateboarder, known amongst people who are in to this type of raw power skating - not some sort of celebrity and this is not TMZ where every little personal secret needs to be posted.

Powerful that you overcame the addiction. Shit is tough. Good for you!

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2021, 06:35:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^ the most relevant post in this thread.  RIP to Dave, and support to all those struggling with addiction and their loved ones

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »
RIP loved his footage

Get over yourselves,

Shits so annoying, of course people want to know how someone passed. There’s nothing private about how you die. Literally every entry on Wikipedia about a person who has passed has a section about their death. Not saying how someone died just makes people assume it was sketchy which I assume is the opposite of what people are trying to accomplish.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2021, 10:52:20 PM »
RIP loved his footage

Expand Quote

Get over yourselves,
[close]

Shits so annoying, of course people want to know how someone passed. There’s nothing private about how you die. Literally every entry on Wikipedia about a person who has passed has a section about their death. Not saying how someone died just makes people assume it was sketchy which I assume is the opposite of what people are trying to accomplish.

I think the immediate wondering (that bordered on entitlement to said knowledge) can be interpreted as ghoulish particularly by those who knew them, but after a considerate time has passed, it’s only natural to wonder.   It’s human nature to seek answers and wonder how events transpired.   

mushroom slice

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2021, 07:19:34 AM »
Remember when you immediately made a tasteless joke in this thread the day he went missing? You kinda suck