Author Topic: Help my aging (40+) feet  (Read 3578 times)

EvenStevieNicks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Help my aging (40+) feet
« on: June 21, 2021, 02:34:06 AM »
Hi gang,

My old feet are still in love with super flat vulcs like Vans era or LRAB, but the balls of my feet are hurting these days and I feel like I need more cushioning/arch support or something.

I've been skating Blazer mids a bunch, and I like my Jordan 1 mids but I'm tryin' to hop off the Nike train. Plus $160 for the Js is eye-watering.

Have any of you already been on this trip? Any tips for better supporting shoes? What shoes saved your feet and prolonged your skating?

Shalom etc.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Help my aging (40+) feet
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 08:53:43 AM »
Footprint insoles are the only thing that helps me. Skated in some adidas recently (not a bash) with stock insoles and my feet hurt for days: balls, heels and arches.

My issue is finding shoes that can fit them and not be feel tight. Recently skating Vans Rowans (pop cush thick ass insoles) but with the Footprints, worked out ok but my foot swims around a little.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »
I really like the combination of the Kingfoam Elite Mid profile Insoles with the NB# 440 Hi.

EvenStevieNicks

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »

the best shoe for old guys experiencing what you say are SB dunks but good luck getting ahold of a pair these days

personally I like the blazer mid the best. I dont really think there is a good substitute. I will probably just go back to that shoe once these half cabs are spent

one thing you could try is Tyshawn mids or if NB comes out with an 868 again

Oh man, I had a bad feeling I was gonna struggle to replace my swoosh shit. I'm toying with trying Tyshawn's shoes though... Not my style, but whatevs. Thanks for the tips!

EvenStevieNicks

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 10:14:34 AM »
I really like the combination of the Kingfoam Elite Mid profile Insoles with the NB# 440 Hi.

Cheers Firebert (love your Insta btw) & Xen, I'll check out those insoles.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »
tbh almost all skate shoes even the most tech looking cupsoles have moved away from much padding in the forefoot.

cup vs. vulc doesn't really make that much difference anymore. for instance my old pro Half Cab were more padded than the NB tiagos . but the new half cabs have a thinned down insole in the front

the best shoe for old guys experiencing what you say are SB dunks but good luck getting ahold of a pair these days

personally I like the blazer mid the best. I dont really think there is a good substitute. I will probably just go back to that shoe once these half cabs are spent

Strongly disagree with the part about the Tiago’s being less padded than half-cabs. No. The 1010 is my personal fave, even tho the sizing isn’t right on. Shoe has great flick/durability, and my feet don’t hurt, as badly, after some longer sessions.
Tyshawn mids and 868 were excellent recommendations. Also the ave pro, that shoe was great for me.
My feet are rough, and hurt pretty much always. It took me away from skating for most of my 30’s. What has worked for me is wearing a lot of different shoes: not getting locked into one thing. This is shitty because buying stuff/having too many things, but my feet seem to like the changes. I wear Birkenstock sandals, and they are extremely comfortable. I wear timberlands. I wear af1’s. Vans era’s. LRAB’s. You get it. I switch it up.
Calf raises, hamstring stretches, and if I wasn’t such a stubborn moron I’d use a foam roller. Those have helped. Watching my weight is a big deal, if I’m even 10# over it’s immediately noticed because my legs and feet are screaming.
Dunks are great, but just get air Jordan 1’s and those are close enough. The mids skate good enough.
So yes actual shoes that have been good for me:

Dc legacy slim (underrated)
Ave pro
Tyshawn mids (the lows look good, but I haven’t had em)
Tiago 1010’s (my fave rn)
Dunks/Jordan’s

The Crockett’s look legitimately nice. I should try those. Like they actually look nice. I like the look of a vulc shoe, with my dad 501s, I just can’t skate in em that long. I like the way blazers look, but somehow I’ve gone like 10 years without a pair. I don’t love Nike, like at all, but their shoes fit my baby-ass heels, and the sizing is right.

I’m all over the place with this ramble, but that’s because I’m passionate about these busted feets. It sucks.

Check the poster ‘crap’ always has good shoe rec’s.

EvenStevieNicks

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »
Expand Quote
tbh almost all skate shoes even the most tech looking cupsoles have moved away from much padding in the forefoot.

cup vs. vulc doesn't really make that much difference anymore. for instance my old pro Half Cab were more padded than the NB tiagos . but the new half cabs have a thinned down insole in the front

[close]

Strongly disagree with the part about the Tiago’s being less padded than half-cabs. No. The 1010 is my personal fave, even tho the sizing isn’t right on. Shoe has great flick/durability, and my feet don’t hurt, as badly, after some longer sessions.
Tyshawn mids and 868 were excellent recommendations. Also the ave pro, that shoe was great for me.
My feet are rough, and hurt pretty much always. It took me away from skating for most of my 30’s. What has worked for me is wearing a lot of different shoes: not getting locked into one thing. This is shitty because buying stuff/having too many things, but my feet seem to like the changes. I wear Birkenstock sandals, and they are extremely comfortable. I wear timberlands. I wear af1’s. Vans era’s. LRAB’s. You get it. I switch it up.
Calf raises, hamstring stretches, and if I wasn’t such a stubborn moron I’d use a foam roller. Those have helped. Watching my weight is a big deal, if I’m even 10# over it’s immediately noticed because my legs and feet are screaming.
Dunks are great, but just get air Jordan 1’s and those are close enough. The mids skate good enough.

Ave pro
Dunks/Jordan’s

The Crockett’s look legitimately nice. I should try those. Like they actually look nice. I like the look of a vulc shoe, with my dad 501s, I just can’t skate in em that long. I like the way blazers look, but somehow I’ve gone like 10 years without a pair. I don’t love Nike, like at all, but their shoes fit my baby-ass heels, and the sizing is right.

I’m all over the place with this ramble, but that’s because I’m passionate about these busted feets. It sucks.

Hell yeah, thanks for going deep! I'm getting persuaded on the Tyshawn shoes for sure!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 10:24:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't speak to it. But a lot of people on Slap have suggested the Lakai Telford as a solid option to the SB Dunk.

Oh man, I had a bad feeling I was gonna struggle to replace my swoosh shit. I'm toying with trying Tyshawn's shoes though... Not my style, but whatevs. Thanks for the tips!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 10:30:09 AM »
I am currently riding Tyshawns and it took me a long time to break them in properly. Just bear that in mind when coming from vulcs.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »
The Nike Bruin Reacts have a different insole than any of the other SB's as far as I know, and it's a gamechanger.  Had some issues with plantar fasciitis last year after taking up running in my late 30s, and these are the only shoes I skate now.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 11:04:59 AM »
Etnies Joslin 1. They've been working for me and my old feet

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 12:23:22 PM »

I like hearing that. I use Fp elite mid and have a pair of 440 highs scheduled for delivery any hour now.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »
I’m always on the lookout for non-skate cupsoles from the big brands for cheap. They all have some basketball/tennis models that usually work great with a bit of super glue and a new insole.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 12:50:48 PM »
Adidas 3st.004
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »
I'm in a similar boat. 40 something, can only skate in flimsy vulcs. I like the New Balance 212/213s with Remind Medic insoles. Also had good look with the Vans Rowans with the stock PopCush insoles.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 116
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »
I had plantar faciitis (strain of the tendon that runs along the bottom of the foot), resulted in pain walking first thing in the morning, and other issues. Got it treated on the NHS here in the UK, and they made some custom insoles that support the arch of the foot. They're great, the plantar issues went away a few years back, but still use the insoles, means I can wear flat soled shoes like Vans, but still get support of the arch. So try looking for for an insole that supports the arch of the foot.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
golfball'em. If it hurts that means it's working.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 04:35:11 PM »
golfball'em. If it hurts that means it's working.

That's how it feels when I swap to no support shoes then throw in my footprints, pain for a day then right as rain.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 05:24:56 PM »
Tyshawns and sport orthotics seem to be working for me.....

dunc

• Rep: 52
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »
I like the new westgates. That 288 sole is the best as it is grippy and the right amount of padding. I just wish it came in more digestible colours.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 06:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ave pro
Dunks/Jordan’s

The Tiagos are are very well padded but sizing is off; NB just don't work for me. If I could get the Tiago's to work I'd skate them as long as they made them; love the fit of the heel (toebox on all NB is too small for me).

Crockett's were too long for me (Barney Rubble feet but size 10).
AVE Pro worked but the toebox would crease on me and sort of dig in. Liked the shoe tho.
DC Legacy 98 Slim S I can almost wear but they feel small vertically in the toe area (just like Tiagos)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 09:04:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ave pro
Dunks/Jordan’s

[close]

The Tiagos are are very well padded but sizing is off; NB just don't work for me. If I could get the Tiago's to work I'd skate them as long as they made them; love the fit of the heel (toebox on all NB is too small for me).

Crockett's were too long for me (Barney Rubble feet but size 10).
AVE Pro worked but the toebox would crease on me and sort of dig in. Liked the shoe tho.
DC Legacy 98 Slim S I can almost wear but they feel small vertically in the toe area (just like Tiagos)

Yeah the nb sizing is hard for me. Nike just fits: size 10, good. There are a few exceptions with Nike (the af1 lows are half size down, the mids are tts, the Cory shoe, that was so dope, was half size big). Aaaaaaaanyways, the Tiago’s skate great in tts, for me, but feel loose as hell. I got a half size down and those are perma chillers, too tight to skate in.
The dc legacy slims I had to go up a half size, and I find that to be true in almost all core brand cupsoles.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 10:49:09 PM »

I have always skated blazers or vans but I can honestly say at age 32 that my feet hurt and all I will skate now are the 440s. I think it’s such an under rated shoe.

EvenStevieNicks

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 01:37:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Hi gang,

My old feet are still in love with super flat vulcs like Vans era or LRAB, but the balls of my feet are hurting these days and I feel like I need more cushioning/arch support or something.

I've been skating Blazer mids a bunch, and I like my Jordan 1 mids but I'm tryin' to hop off the Nike train. Plus $160 for the Js is eye-watering.

Have any of you already been on this trip? Any tips for better supporting shoes? What shoes saved your feet and prolonged your skating?

Shalom etc.
[close]

What size shoe do you wear?

10.5 in Vans and LRAB, 10 in SB Blazers.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 05:37:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ave pro
Dunks/Jordan’s

Hey, thanks!

Those are mostly the same shoes I'd recommend for my fellow 'bad old feet' people. For forefoot cushioning/support specifically, I think the AVE Pro's are probably the best ones out currently.

I haven't tried Legacy Slims, but I've been feeling tempted to try one of those slightly slimmed down DC reissues for a while - love how they did those (updated the shape a little, but didn't go too nuts). I tried on a pair of Kalis OG's a while back, and they were too much puff for me, but I'm interested to try one of the slimmer ones (Lynx Zero, Stevie Slim, Legacy Slim).

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 06:10:38 AM »
I've always been of the belief that a decent insole will serve you better than a super thick shoe with a shitty insole. I happen to like the new more dense Vans insoles but before that I felt better skating thin vulcs with Footprint Insoles than I did skating cupsoles where the insole looks like it was made out of wet toilet paper.

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 08:56:25 AM »
I'm in a similar boat. 40 something, can only skate in flimsy vulcs. I like the New Balance 212/213s with Remind Medic insoles. Also had good look with the Vans Rowans with the stock PopCush insoles.

THIS. some remind medics in anything and it helps. they have nice padding for balls of feet,  I've tried the whole line of footprint and they suck. Remind is the only one that actually makes them with plastic inserts to strengthen up some floppy shoes. I skate the Medics in the NM212 and also put them in every Vans slip on pro i have.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 464
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 09:11:41 AM »
I also recommend the Etnies Joslin 1. First shoe in a decade that hasn’t brought me foot pain. I honestly forget that I have foot issues until I put something else on. The grip is super good too. Better grip than Vans in my opinion. Just wear them without skating them for about a week and it’s on. Hope this helps.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 99
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2021, 06:44:47 PM »
Get some good after market insoles
Cocteau Twins

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2021, 06:56:08 PM »
The DC Pure might be a good one for you. I have a friend who swears by them. It's a not too thin vulc that has a well padded tongue and I think you can find them for pretty cheap on sale.
 Anyways, I posted a link to a pair on the DC site. Keep us informed on what you end up choosing. Good luck!

https://www.dcshoes.com/men%27s-pure-shoes-886434369513.html#q=pure&start=8&hitcount=43