Author Topic: Help my aging (40+) feet  (Read 3577 times)

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
Re: Help my aging (40+) feet
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
Im not 40 but will definitely vouch for the Legacy Slims. The shoe has way more boardfeel than it would seem it has and I dont feel pain in my feet after skating all day.

The Kalis S is a dope option too but may be a bit stubbier and they have lace loops that blow out and fucks up the fit of the shoe.

Haven't tried them but I have a couple of friends that swear by the Kyle Walker 1s. I did have the Vans Ultrarange Pro and that shoe was hella good too.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:57:24 PM by gsosa »

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2021, 08:36:05 PM »
Ima jump on the DC train. The Lynx Zero is legit for a thicker cup sole , but still has good board feel. I’d say the insole is trash though after a month . I might put some Nike ones in the next pair I get .

I wish I could skate the Tiago but my foot I guess is flat because the arch is way too pronounced in that shoe in my TTS

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
868s changed the game for me, along with some actual orthotics, foot print didn’t work for me and may have made my problem worse. 868s are pretty much impossible to get now until the new ones drop later this year. I will say the 1010s are just as good. I prefer the 868s as they feel more stable, but 1010s have better grip.

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2021, 10:04:29 PM »
Any of our shoes that have the pour-in G6 midsole are really comfortable as well as pretty protective. Haven't skated them myself but a lot of people tend to like the Figgy Dose as well when it comes to another cupsole. The Gamma has the Formula G sole as the Figgy Dose but will have the Julian colorway with the pour-in G6 dropping at the end of the year.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2021, 10:08:35 PM »
Any of our shoes that have the pour-in G6 midsole are really comfortable as well as pretty protective. Haven't skated them myself but a lot of people tend to like the Figgy Dose as well when it comes to another cupsole. The Gamma has the Formula G sole as the Figgy Dose but will have the Julian colorway with the pour-in G6 dropping at the end of the year.

How have you not skated all of the shoes?

SlapTM

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2021, 10:24:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like a lot of board feel which generally tends to be vulcs. I'm not jumping down stairs or gaps anymore so I don't need something with a ton of support like the Dose. I mostly skate the slip-ons myself but sometimes skate The Dickson or even the Wino Standard and throw a G6 insole in it. I did try the Gamma recently and liked it but have been skating the Wino slip cups lately.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2021, 10:31:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I like a lot of board feel which generally tends to be vulcs. I'm not jumping down stairs or gaps anymore so I don't need something with a ton of support like the Dose. I mostly skate the slip-ons myself but sometimes skate The Dickson or even the Wino Standard and throw a G6 insole in it. I did try the Gamma recently and liked it but have been skating the Wino slip cups lately.

Still seems weird, to me, but I’m the weirdo: always trying new shit.

SlapTM

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2021, 10:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Still seems weird, to me, but I’m the weirdo: always trying new shit.
I totally get it and there's nothing wrong with always trying new things. I'm just pretty particular and know what I like to skate and what I'm going to put on and be over it instantly. Unfortunately, I've always skated the thinnest shoes I could find as I'm not that great at skating and need all the board feel I can get haha.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2021, 11:48:51 PM »
NB 420s with footprint insoles treat me well!
Also, eS cupsoles but particularly the outsole on the swift/ accel plus

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2021, 02:43:18 AM »
Dang, thanks for all the tips everyone!

At this point I'm gonna go get fitted for orthotics first and see how that goes. Maybe trying a NB or Adidas shoe will be the next step.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2021, 04:59:01 AM »
46 here, the discontinued Adidas Suciu 2 with the adiprene insole... lifesaver, and they don’t pack down *at all*. Also stop side-to-side slip inside the shoe completely.

I’m still looking for a shoe “shell” cup or vulc long as it fits that I can drop these into when I’ve burned through my last 2 pairs.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2021, 08:58:17 AM »
The Nike Bruin Reacts have a different insole than any of the other SB's as far as I know, and it's a gamechanger.  Had some issues with plantar fasciitis last year after taking up running in my late 30s, and these are the only shoes I skate now.

Based off your post I nabbed these:

I've not touched Nike since the Prod 6/Brock mid (from waaay back) but should have as they always fit well...but Nike..

These bruin reacts have the same style insole as my Nike Metcon Sports.

The fit is great, just wearing them around the house for about 10 hours and they are already breaking in nicely. Here's hoping they skate well!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:45:14 AM by Xen »

sketchyrider

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »
sounds like you've made your decision but i'd recommend FP insoles as well. they have a rep around here for being "gimmicky" but they actually do exactly what they say, absorb impact.

i stopped wearing them and i noticed a big difference when landing primo, or those stiff landings right on your heel. i only used the flat ones though.

ramplocal

• Rep: 62
  • poser
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2021, 09:10:54 AM »
Totally agree w the tyshawns, nb 440s, etnies Joslin and the vans k walk 1s wld be my recommendation, they get super hot but since you have been running the blazer mids I am sure you are used to it, source I'm 41 and my feet also are trash
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:59:26 PM by ramplocal »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2021, 09:48:55 AM »
sounds like you've made your decision but i'd recommend FP insoles as well. they have a rep around here for being "gimmicky" but they actually do exactly what they say, absorb impact.

i stopped wearing them and i noticed a big difference when landing primo, or those stiff landings right on your heel. i only used the flat ones though.

Not only do they absorb but they do really conform to your feet...like custom orthotics, especially the gamechangers.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2021, 10:34:40 AM »
Dang, thanks for all the tips everyone!

At this point I'm gonna go get fitted for orthotics first and see how that goes. Maybe trying a NB or Adidas shoe will be the next step.

Orthotics are the best thing you can do for your feet, but they will make it a little harder to find the right shoes. If you're planning on getting them, I would get the orthotics first and then do the shoe search by going to the shop and trying on a few different models with your orthotics in them. Your shoes won't fit the same with orthotics in as they will without them.

What's worked best for me is cupsoles with good midsole cushioning and a medium thickness removable insole. I remove the stock insoles and put the orthotics in their place. Mid and high top shoes will make this easier, but you can make a low work if you find the right one.

I've had good luck with my orthotics in Nike Dunks (Mid/High only), Adidas Tyshawns, and Vans AVE's. You also may have luck trying NB Tiagos if your foot is the right shape. I can't vouch for them first hand, but the Spanky Emericas and Adidas Superstar/Pro Model and Forum would also fit the criteria here.

I'd steer clear of vulcs in general, but especially the ones that are the 'thick insole on a thin outsole' type, like the Vans Skate line. If you replace that thick insole with a hard orthotic, you have no cushioning. You can get away with those as chillers, but you probably won't enjoy skating in them.

I've tried both custom orthotics and FP Gamechangers. The Gamechangers didn't work for me, but I have some pretty bad chronic issues with my feet. If your feet are in better shape than mine, they may work for you.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2021, 04:32:55 PM »
What do you wear when not skating? I was recently gifted a pair of oofos that I’ve started using as house shoes and they are well worth it to give your feet a rest.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2021, 05:10:05 PM »
What do you wear when not skating? I was recently gifted a pair of oofos that I’ve started using as house shoes and they are well worth it to give your feet a rest.

I wear slipon pro Vans with the Pop Cush insole around the house.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2021, 05:30:43 PM »
I haven't found a better pairing than Dunks and the Footprint Kingfoam Custom orthotic insoles.
I skate 5-6 days a week, great support and love the kingfoam material for not being sore after.
I also highly recommend learning some arch strengthening exercises as that will alleviate some foot pain.
I have some tiagos up next, they feel pretty nice on foot but haven't skated them yet.
I am constantly trying on shoes at the shop, pulling insoles out to see what fits my fp ones the best.
All the Adidas shoes I've tried have so much heel lift I can't do it.
I tried the AVE pro and the mesh blew out first session from an awkward foot drag on a missed flip trick.

tabby weed

• Rep: 4
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2021, 06:45:56 PM »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but seems semi-relevant… can anyone recommend some shoes to me that are similar to Crockett lows in terms of boardfeel + cushioning + arch support? I have super high arches but prefer vulc shoes. I’ve messed around with FP insoles, but personally I haven’t found anything I like more than Crocketts with the stock insoles. Curious if anyone knows of similar shoes, because it looks like they’ve been discontinued (?) or at least I’m not seeing them on the Vans website.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2021, 07:27:08 PM »

You think it would be wise to try and put some of those replacement G6 insoles into a Emerica cup? I have the spankys but was wondering if those G6 replacement insoles up on the site would work or if it would mess with the fit too much?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2021, 07:33:33 PM »
I haven't found a better pairing than Dunks and the Footprint Kingfoam Custom orthotic insoles.
I skate 5-6 days a week, great support and love the kingfoam material for not being sore after.
I also highly recommend learning some arch strengthening exercises as that will alleviate some foot pain.
I have some tiagos up next, they feel pretty nice on foot but haven't skated them yet.
I am constantly trying on shoes at the shop, pulling insoles out to see what fits my fp ones the best.
All the Adidas shoes I've tried have so much heel lift I can't do it.
I tried the AVE pro and the mesh blew out first session from an awkward foot drag on a missed flip trick.

Good info on the specific combo: I appreciate that.
I’ve got some dunks, been almost feeling like selling cuz I’m uncool looking and could use the $$, but it seems sooooo wrong to not skate them. Waiting for the Ishod’s.
As I’ve relentlessly gone on about, I love the 1010s.
I really enjoyed the ave pros, had a few pairs, and they lasted and lasted for me. But. More than a few folks have told me theirs lasted not at all: same culprit, mesh on toe box.
Adidas shoes fit sorta off for me, but the Tyshawn’s were great, great arch. Maybe a little narrow in the toe box. Will try on the lows.
Maybe it’s time to buy more Jordan aj1s?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote
The Nike Bruin Reacts have a different insole than any of the other SB's as far as I know, and it's a gamechanger.  Had some issues with plantar fasciitis last year after taking up running in my late 30s, and these are the only shoes I skate now.
[close]

Based off your post I nabbed these:

I've not touched Nike since the Prod 6/Brock mid (from waaay back) but should have as they always fit well...but Nike..

These bruin reacts have the same style insole as my Nike Metcon Sports.

The fit is great, just wearing them around the house for about 10 hours and they are already breaking in nicely. Here's hoping they skate well!

@Xen please let us know how those Bruins end up skating.

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2021, 05:50:35 AM »
I’m quite a bit older than you.
My feet were killing me when I got back in to skating.  I went through a bunch of shoes I tried DC pure they don’t have enough padding in the heel for me. I ended up on the DVS Enduro Heir.
That style of shoe is definitely not popular now compared to the thinner shoes that everyone is wearing today. At the end of the day if you’re old it’s all about being limber. If you are not flexible in your calves and ankles your feet are going to be killing you and you will have plantar fasciitis that will not go away until you get mobility in those joints. Make stretching part of your routine.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:29:12 AM by velvethammer »

Joe Davola

• Rep: 60
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2021, 06:30:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You think it would be wise to try and put some of those replacement G6 insoles into a Emerica cup? I have the spankys but was wondering if those G6 replacement insoles up on the site would work or if it would mess with the fit too much?
The Spanky insoles are extremely thin. G6 insoles are pretty substantial. I don’t think that would work.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2021, 06:43:21 AM »
This may not work for you, but I have NB 440’s with green superfeet in them. My feet are much, much happier now.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2021, 09:07:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The Spanky insoles are extremely thin. G6 insoles are pretty substantial. I don’t think that would work.

Yeah but the Reynolds G6 use to come with a G6 insole in addition to the pour in G6 midsole. I might pull the trigger on them just to experiment and see how they work out.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2021, 09:31:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah but the Reynolds G6 use to come with a G6 insole in addition to the pour in G6 midsole. I might pull the trigger on them just to experiment and see how they work out.

Reynolds G6 Cupsole comes with an insole that might aswell have been cut out from a sheet of newspaper. Maybe you are thinking of the vulc version.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Reynolds G6 Cupsole comes with an insole that might aswell have been cut out from a sheet of newspaper. Maybe you are thinking of the vulc version.

In this tactics vid going over them @ the 2:45 mark the insole says G6 on it. Now they could just be samples for all I know and I honestly can't remember what my Reynolds had in them but I felt more cushioned than what's in my spankys currently.

Video for reference, 2:45 for a clear shot at the insole for anyone interested.

Grip Jobs

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »
Hoka + Shoe goo
Softer wheels
After I quit smoking I lost foot pain
Take a lil time off and chill with some soft wheels
If your feet hurt when you aren’t skating you probably shouldn’t skate. And if you do you should expect your feet to hurt.