Author Topic: Help my aging (40+) feet  (Read 3579 times)

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
Re: Help my aging (40+) feet
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2021, 12:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any of our shoes that have the pour-in G6 midsole are really comfortable as well as pretty protective. Haven't skated them myself but a lot of people tend to like the Figgy Dose as well when it comes to another cupsole. The Gamma has the Formula G sole as the Figgy Dose but will have the Julian colorway with the pour-in G6 dropping at the end of the year.
[close]

You think it would be wise to try and put some of those replacement G6 insoles into a Emerica cup? I have the spankys but was wondering if those G6 replacement insoles up on the site would work or if it would mess with the fit too much?
[close]
The Spanky insoles are extremely thin. G6 insoles are pretty substantial. I don’t think that would work.
[close]

Yeah but the Reynolds G6 use to come with a G6 insole in addition to the pour in G6 midsole. I might pull the trigger on them just to experiment and see how they work out.
[close]

Reynolds G6 Cupsole comes with an insole that might aswell have been cut out from a sheet of newspaper. Maybe you are thinking of the vulc version.
[close]

In this tactics vid going over them @ the 2:45 mark the insole says G6 on it. Now they could just be samples for all I know and I honestly can't remember what my Reynolds had in them but I felt more cushioned than what's in my spankys currently.

Video for reference, 2:45 for a clear shot at the insole for anyone interested.

Damn we need someone to chime in here because my pair definitely didn't have that thicker insole. They weren't insoles from another shoe either because they had the Reynolds detail printed on them.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2021, 12:48:06 PM »
Softer wheels
Take a lil time off and chill with some soft wheels
If your feet hurt when you aren’t skating you probably shouldn’t skate. And if you do you should expect your feet to hurt.

Funny you mention it, but this setup makes me feel 20 years younger. 55mm OJ Super Juice with some of those Real 3-ply wooden risers on my Dane 1 might be one of the funnest boards I've set up in a long time. Very impressed with the OJs. They even slide a bit, which is stunning to me.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2021, 12:59:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any of our shoes that have the pour-in G6 midsole are really comfortable as well as pretty protective. Haven't skated them myself but a lot of people tend to like the Figgy Dose as well when it comes to another cupsole. The Gamma has the Formula G sole as the Figgy Dose but will have the Julian colorway with the pour-in G6 dropping at the end of the year.
[close]

You think it would be wise to try and put some of those replacement G6 insoles into a Emerica cup? I have the spankys but was wondering if those G6 replacement insoles up on the site would work or if it would mess with the fit too much?
[close]
The Spanky insoles are extremely thin. G6 insoles are pretty substantial. I don’t think that would work.
[close]

Yeah but the Reynolds G6 use to come with a G6 insole in addition to the pour in G6 midsole. I might pull the trigger on them just to experiment and see how they work out.
[close]

Reynolds G6 Cupsole comes with an insole that might aswell have been cut out from a sheet of newspaper. Maybe you are thinking of the vulc version.
[close]

In this tactics vid going over them @ the 2:45 mark the insole says G6 on it. Now they could just be samples for all I know and I honestly can't remember what my Reynolds had in them but I felt more cushioned than what's in my spankys currently.

[close]

Damn we need someone to chime in here because my pair definitely didn't have that thicker insole. They weren't insoles from another shoe either because they had the Reynolds detail printed on them.

I've got the Reynolds G6 cup in 3 colorways and they all have a standard, slim insoles. Maybe other colorways had the g6 insoles but I'm pretty sure that the cushion is from the midsole. @EmericaTM want to chime in on this?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2021, 01:25:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've got the Reynolds G6 cup in 3 colorways and they all have a standard, slim insoles. Maybe other colorways had the g6 insoles but I'm pretty sure that the cushion is from the midsole. @EmericaTM want to chime in on this?

He doesn’t skate em….

The old Reynolds mid was too good. I Should have gotten more.
The Dickson looks real decent.
Feels odd to like emerica’s catalog, but there is several I’d like to try. If the local gets em

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

He doesn’t skate em….

The old Reynolds mid was too good. I Should have gotten more.
The Dickson looks real decent.
Feels odd to like emerica’s catalog, but there is several I’d like to try. If the local gets em

I've been eyeing the Pillar bit it looks narrow as fuck

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2021, 06:38:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hey thanks for clearing this up. And it was maybe just Reynolds himself who got the G6 insoles for himself?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Nike Bruin Reacts have a different insole than any of the other SB's as far as I know, and it's a gamechanger.  Had some issues with plantar fasciitis last year after taking up running in my late 30s, and these are the only shoes I skate now.
[close]

Based off your post I nabbed these:

I've not touched Nike since the Prod 6/Brock mid (from waaay back) but should have as they always fit well...but Nike..

These bruin reacts have the same style insole as my Nike Metcon Sports.

The fit is great, just wearing them around the house for about 10 hours and they are already breaking in nicely. Here's hoping they skate well!
[close]

@Xen please let us know how those Bruins end up skating.

@funeral_tuxedo

4 hours in and they feel great, nothing special with regards to the forefoot/footbed, good board feel, fit is great (I always have issues with the width of my feet. Heel is excellent, cups you like you're the little spoon, very stable. Zero break in other than the 10 hours of indoor use (only when walking, I treated them like slippers :P).

I should note that I skate 3-4 times a week (if not more) 2hrs or so at a time - walk about 4 miles everyday/every other day barefoot on the beach (in soft sand to strengthen my arches and ankles, usually post workout); hike 1-2 times a week or so (Nike Hikers - no skating on that day or day after because knees) and work out every day (Reebok Nano X or IX depending on the workout) with about 30-40 minutes of slow cardio at the end (stairs, incline treadmill, elliptical, rowing, 10min each) or I'll got hit the beach for a walk; I'm not biking as much this summer so far but will be soon to help out the old knees...Needless to say, my feet and knees take a beating daily.

I rest when the knees, ankles or arches tell me too.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2021, 11:27:19 PM »
I believe someone already said the DC Legacy Slim.  Pound for pound one of my favorites. Great grip and cushion.  And any pour in G6 Emerica. Love those.

Grip Jobs

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2021, 06:01:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Softer wheels
Take a lil time off and chill with some soft wheels
If your feet hurt when you aren’t skating you probably shouldn’t skate. And if you do you should expect your feet to hurt.
[close]

Funny you mention it, but this setup makes me feel 20 years younger. 55mm OJ Super Juice with some of those Real 3-ply wooden risers on my Dane 1 might be one of the funnest boards I've set up in a long time. Very impressed with the OJs. They even slide a bit, which is stunning to me.

You ever just try Vans?
I’ve had orthotics and cups soles and tried all this shit that’s being talked about in here and it’s total bullshit. Vans pros/skate basically turn into orthotics after a couple sessions. Tried it all, then remembered when my feet didn’t hurt and got a pair of Chima 1s just like back in ‘13 and it fixed the problem.
Do you stand a lot? You might stand weird or kinda jam your feet when you stand.
Probably have a weak interior ankle that inflects a bit. That could be fixed by literally just standing on one leg and flexing it a few times a day.
Dr Grip says rest your feet as much as possible for 2 weeks taking 400mg ibuprofen before bed. Then look up some physical therapy to strengthen ankles and feet, and start doing 10-30min a day for 2months. Get a pair of Vans skate (skate them right out of the box and only use them for skating) only skate soft wheels. After 2 months of physical therapy and pain permitting.You are allowed 3 sessions a month on hard wheels at a skatepark with smooth ground. No flip tricks for 6 months. Eat a banana before you skate, cut down on coffee. At least One kale salad a week and fish once a week, drink water.
watch meditation videos on YouTube to relieve foot pain.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2021, 09:53:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Nike Bruin Reacts have a different insole than any of the other SB's as far as I know, and it's a gamechanger.  Had some issues with plantar fasciitis last year after taking up running in my late 30s, and these are the only shoes I skate now.
[close]

I've not touched Nike since the Prod 6/Brock mid (from waaay back) but should have as they always fit well...but Nike..

The fit is great, just wearing them around the house for about 10 hours and they are already breaking in nicely. Here's hoping they skate well!
[close]

[close]

@funeral_tuxedo

4 hours in and they feel great, nothing special with regards to the forefoot/footbed, good board feel, fit is great (I always have issues with the width of my feet. Heel is excellent, cups you like you're the little spoon, very stable. Zero break in other than the 10 hours of indoor use (only when walking, I treated them like slippers :P).

I should note that I skate 3-4 times a week (if not more) 2hrs or so at a time - walk about 4 miles everyday/every other day barefoot on the beach (in soft sand to strengthen my arches and ankles, usually post workout); hike 1-2 times a week or so (Nike Hikers - no skating on that day or day after because knees) and work out every day (Reebok Nano X or IX depending on the workout) with about 30-40 minutes of slow cardio at the end (stairs, incline treadmill, elliptical, rowing, 10min each) or I'll got hit the beach for a walk; I'm not biking as much this summer so far but will be soon to help out the old knees...Needless to say, my feet and knees take a beating daily.

That's such a strong health regimen you've got going on @Xen . If I get this job I'm applying for I think I'll either grab a pair of those React Bruins or some Adidas Tyshawn's on sale. Would you mind at some point seeing how those React insoles fit into other Nikes, etc...?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2021, 03:01:09 PM »
I haven't found a better pairing than Dunks and the Footprint Kingfoam Custom orthotic insoles.
I skate 5-6 days a week, great support and love the kingfoam material for not being sore after.
I also highly recommend learning some arch strengthening exercises as that will alleviate some foot pain.
I have some tiagos up next, they feel pretty nice on foot but haven't skated them yet.
I am constantly trying on shoes at the shop, pulling insoles out to see what fits my fp ones the best.
All the Adidas shoes I've tried have so much heel lift I can't do it.
I tried the AVE pro and the mesh blew out first session from an awkward foot drag on a missed flip trick.

Finding dunks at a reasonable price is the issue or way more people would be skating them.

Cons needs to get the fastbreak back in action.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2021, 03:04:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@funeral_tuxedo

[close]

That's such a strong health regimen you've got going on @Xen . If I get this job I'm applying for I think I'll either grab a pair of those React Bruins or some Adidas Tyshawn's on sale. Would you mind at some point seeing how those React insoles fit into other Nikes, etc...?

The react insole wouldn’t work well in other shoes, unless they support thick ass heels, like that one sucui model and or the vans with popcush. I tried other insoles for fit and my foot swims in the reacts without it’s insole; the heel on the react insole is really thick,

I tried it in the puig adidas premier and I’d literally walk out of the shoe it raises the heel bed so far up. It works ok in the vans Rowans as the popcush is similar

Another session this morning, zero complaints and had no issues; skated as normal! Really liking the shoe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:16:26 PM by Xen »

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2021, 03:07:07 PM »
Expand Quote
I haven't found a better pairing than Dunks and the Footprint Kingfoam Custom orthotic insoles.
I skate 5-6 days a week, great support and love the kingfoam material for not being sore after.
I also highly recommend learning some arch strengthening exercises as that will alleviate some foot pain.
I have some tiagos up next, they feel pretty nice on foot but haven't skated them yet.
I am constantly trying on shoes at the shop, pulling insoles out to see what fits my fp ones the best.
All the Adidas shoes I've tried have so much heel lift I can't do it.
I tried the AVE pro and the mesh blew out first session from an awkward foot drag on a missed flip trick.

[close]

Finding dunks at a reasonable price is the issue or way more people would be skating them.

Cons needs to get the fastbreak back in action.

I rolled some seriously shitty dice in the foot issue department and I feel like I keep hearing inklings about converse. I cannot wear the non-cons converse, they are way too narrow and wearing them when I was younger was the reason I have bunion issues now. Are the cons line equally as narrow or are there any that would be a good supportive shoe I have been inappropriately ruling out?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2021, 04:31:15 PM »
What about fake dunks/jordans?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2021, 08:50:38 PM »

Yeah I’m down.
Not savvy enough to navigate the webs on that one tho

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some of the riders add insoles into the Spanky's and wino slip cup so it's totally possible. Give it a try and see how you like it.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Some of the riders add insoles into the Spanky's and wino slip cup so it's totally possible. Give it a try and see how you like it.

The G6 insoles arrived today and fit like a glove in both the spanky and slip cup. Really brings both those shoes to the next level of comfort.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2021, 07:01:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I’m down.
Not savvy enough to navigate the webs on that one tho