Author Topic: Nike SB - Color Skates  (Read 1794 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Nike SB - Color Skates
« on: June 22, 2021, 02:09:05 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Nike SB - Color Skates
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »
One of the wackest commercials I’ve seen in a minute.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1472
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
One of the wackest commercials I’ve seen in a minute.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »
Nike spends millions just to make sure nobody stops them from using Muslim slaves, and slap's critique is that their kebab-themed shoe commercial is corny. Fuck this.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/nike-inc/lobbying?id=D000027998

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 11:06:15 AM »
everyone knows you dunce. it's been talked about in every fucking nike thread for the last 10 years on here. like, pages, and pages, and pages of discussion.

so yeah, im going to go ahead and critique the artistic value their ad brings.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:19:24 PM »
The Kebabs look good, the shoes and production of that edit not so much.

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 01:30:14 PM »
To all board companies out there: Can someone please make a Doener Kebab graphic, photo-realistic on slick bottom? That would be spicy!

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 03:57:04 AM »
Skating was great!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 05:32:44 AM »
Obviously the edit was garbage but the skating was on point and I actually like those shoes (if only in the brown laces.)

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 11:14:43 AM »
Obviously the edit was garbage but the skating was on point and I actually like those shoes (if only in the brown laces.)

Yea edit was absolute trash, but the skating was super enjoyable. Liked the trick selection and shoes look good for Nike's (not my cup of tea).

Grip Jobs

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 02:01:48 PM »
Nike spends millions just to make sure nobody stops them from using Muslim slaves, and slap's critique is that their kebab-themed shoe commercial is corny. Fuck this.

This can’t be true.
Nike pays to keep slavery in tact in other countries so they can profit more.
Yet descendants of slaves purchase these shoes at crazy prices.
These are the real Nazis

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This can’t be true.
These are the real Nazis

are you calling black americans nazis? am i reading that right?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 05:49:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This can’t be true.
These are the real Nazis
[close]

I think he was referring to Nike, but wow yeah the lowkey stereotyping/critiquing of black people in America for how they choose to spend their money is fucked. Not fair to hold generations of slavery over the heads of black Americans to create some imaginary ethical standard they should be held to when buying shoes when every other fucking person who buys these is complicit to some degree in the crimes committed to create them. Also, if you're gonna come down so hard at Nike, I suggest you take a deeper look at literally every other major corporation that manufacturers shit you buy or use regularly.

Before this discussion blows up, just find one of the dozens of other threads that were either created for this topic or devolved into an argument about it.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 06:23:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This can’t be true.
These are the real Nazis
[close]

[close]

I think he was referring to Nike, but wow yeah the lowkey stereotyping/critiquing of black people in America for how they choose to spend their money is fucked. Not fair to hold generations of slavery over the heads of black Americans to create some imaginary ethical standard they should be held to when buying shoes when every other fucking person who buys these is complicit to some degree in the crimes committed to create them. Also, if you're gonna come down so hard at Nike, I suggest you take a deeper look at literally every other major corporation that manufacturers shit you buy or use regularly.

Before this discussion blows up, just find one of the dozens of other threads that were either created for this topic or devolved into an argument about it.

Nike tops ALL other lobbying efforts against the Uyghurs. That's compared to Apple, Coke, big conglomerates of retailers, literally everyone else. They are the single biggest power broker for the clothing industry that uses those slaves. They've also had the worst response to being caught, maybe alongside apple. So, clearly you haven't bothered to read the dozens of other threads, because comparing them to "literally every other major corporation" confirms that nike is indeed leaps and bounds worse than the rest, especially within the realm of skateboarding goods.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 06:56:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This can’t be true.
These are the real Nazis
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nike tops ALL other lobbying efforts against the Uyghurs. That's compared to Apple, Coke, big conglomerates of retailers, literally everyone else. They are the single biggest power broker for the clothing industry that uses those slaves. They've also had the worst response to being caught, maybe alongside apple. So, clearly you haven't bothered to read the dozens of other threads, because comparing them to "literally every other major corporation" confirms that nike is indeed leaps and bounds worse than the rest, especially within the realm of skateboarding goods.

You really aren't telling me anything I haven't heard, and I think I speak for many others when I say that. That's because I have labored over those other threads, posted in them and engaged with others on the issue, and have come away realizing that many people get so stuck on this particular issue that is really a product of a bigger problem: the systemic failure of the global capitalist economy.

Before you rail on Nike for this issue, which I actually do think is a righteous cause, just please be aware that although they may be the biggest offender, they aren't the only offender. It gets tired when people here act like Nike is the reason why this slave labor exists in the first place... You're damn right they are exploiting vulnerable people, but this is the very nature of the global economy as we know it, which is condoned (fucking designed) by government officials. Hell even you said it, SOMEONE had to accept their money to fight to protect their use of Uyghurs. I condemn the use of slave labor and all of the corporations efforts to weaken the bill, but believe me if eS was selling shoes like Nike was, they'd be paying for the right to keep doing it too. And also guess what, I'm sure SoleTech is involved in whatever legal scumfuckery it can engage in to maximize profits. You're right to be mad, just need a better direction... a bigger target... like maybe the system  and the people that give their lobbying dollars weight.

Edit: as skateboarders, we fall in love with companies because they sell us our dream lifestyle. But we forget they are all COMPANIES at the end of the day. Heartless, soulless, corporations (besides small board brands, they have hearts and souls). Nike is the Scapegoat here and in skateboarding at large because a. YES, they are God awful, even in comparison to others and b. they are not so good at selling the "real" skate dream.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:09:48 PM by Urtripping »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 07:42:08 PM »
When faced with enough pressure, companies have agreed to sever ties with slaves and open up to third party inspections, possibly fearing public backlash and loss of sales. H&M is a good example of this, but not the only one. So, this can be fixed, even in a capitalistic environment. No apologizing for these slave masters.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 08:24:19 PM »
When faced with enough pressure, companies have agreed to sever ties with slaves and open up to third party inspections, possibly fearing public backlash and loss of sales. H&M is a good example of this, but not the only one. So, this can be fixed, even in a capitalistic environment. No apologizing for these slave masters.

Absolutely no apologizing, just think applying pressure is best done outside the confines of Slap. I can't really fault you for wanting to spread the word, but my point was it's been spread...

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
dude. i checked your other posts, and you seem to love vans. rad! love that for you. they're owned by VF corp, as i'm sure you know.

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/28/6953923/5-products-human-rights

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. period. nike is bad! we're all in agreement! but don't pretend like your favorite shoe brand is exempt from that same criticism you're lobbing at nike.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 06:00:59 AM »
dude. i checked your other posts, and you seem to love vans. rad! love that for you. they're owned by VF corp, as i'm sure you know.

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/28/6953923/5-products-human-rights

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. period. nike is bad! we're all in agreement! but don't pretend like your favorite shoe brand is exempt from that same criticism you're lobbing at nike.
Nice 2014 vox article my dude. I'm talking about millions of slaves today, not a sweatshop 7 years ago. Vans ain't perfect but the comparison is idiotic, and the idea that we shouldn't care about the enormous scale of differences in human rights abuses between companies we have the option to support is delusional.