Author Topic: Guilty Gear -Strive-  (Read 670 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Guilty Gear -Strive-
« on: June 22, 2021, 07:28:40 AM »
any of you guys play this?
Shits on street fighter 5, DBZF!!!
Really enjoying this game so far. playing May and spammin them dolphins!!! ill try and upload some games but im still pretty trash

beatifk

• Rep: 162
Re: Guilty Gear -Strive-
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:58:05 AM »
The Guilty Gear series is so complicated.

During the first phase of the lockdown I bought Xrd Rev 2 with the intention of learning a single character well. I gave up. I went through all the tutorials and learning combos and everything, but it's just too precise and I could never get anywhere with an actual opponent.

It's a shame because the character design and visuals in general of the whole series are excellent. And I love the music and heavy metal theme.

I might try Strive eventually when it goes on sale, but I don't even have internet at my house now so I can't even really play it since I don't have any friends in real life that have any interest in difficult fighting games, they'll play Fighterz or UMvC3 but GG is too slow and difficult.

Did you play Xrd or older GG games? How would you compare Strive? I don't dare go on reddit to read people's opinions because everything is either the best game ever made or the worst piece of shit ever shitted onto earth to people posting about it online. I've seen some videos and it looks fantastic.

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
The Guilty Gear series is so complicated.

During the first phase of the lockdown I bought Xrd Rev 2 with the intention of learning a single character well. I gave up. I went through all the tutorials and learning combos and everything, but it's just too precise and I could never get anywhere with an actual opponent.

It's a shame because the character design and visuals in general of the whole series are excellent. And I love the music and heavy metal theme.

I might try Strive eventually when it goes on sale, but I don't even have internet at my house now so I can't even really play it since I don't have any friends in real life that have any interest in difficult fighting games, they'll play Fighterz or UMvC3 but GG is too slow and difficult.

Did you play Xrd or older GG games? How would you compare Strive? I don't dare go on reddit to read people's opinions because everything is either the best game ever made or the worst piece of shit ever shitted onto earth to people posting about it online. I've seen some videos and it looks fantastic.
That's interesting that your friends thought GG was too slow, I've never heard that before. I've been playing the GG series for years and based on your post, I think Strive is a lot more up your alley compared to the older ones. This one is very different and tbh, even slower but is much less difficult to get into. With Strive, the combos are a lot simpler compared to older GG games.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 11:58:04 PM »
I guess "slow" isn't the right word... it's less "exciting" than UMvC3 or DBFZ because those games with all the tagging and team combos and autocombos, etc they can just spam and pull off some big hit-count combos whereas with GG even with the simplified input mode, they're lucky to pull off like a 5-hit combo.

Yeah, I will probably get Strive eventually, the good thing about fighting games is that they tend to have a lifespan of 5+ years, so if I pick it up in a year or 2 it will still have some community playing it.

I have a huge backlog of games to get through and I'm trying to get better at guitar currently so both my time and muscle memory training are taken up at the moment.

I will be moving soon hopefully to a bigger city, so if I find some people to play with in person I would definitely get into it, but without that option currently, it's just not something I feel like putting a ton of time into.

What's different in Strive that makes you say it's less difficult to get into? Just the combo system is simplified? Is timing more forgiving in some way or are there some other mechanics that change the game?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 06:52:23 AM »
My background has mostly been street fighter, but from 2010-2020 i was playing a shit load, travelling, going to locals etc.
my GG experience has been pretty limited - i did dabble with XRD on PS3 in 2014 on lunch break with a friend who was really good
I felt like the hardest combos were going to take a lot of practice in that game so i never made the leap - was focused on street fighter still
at this point now I am pretty good at combos and stuff just from sheer amount of time put into FGs, but I am by no means a combo god, i suck at DBZ, Marvel etc.

STRIVE combos nothing feels out of reach to me so far. It is definintely a tiny bit slower pace but I have seen some people do some really oppressive imposible to block stuff. PLayed a Faust this morning and realized you cannot let him set shit up agianst you, you need to be in on him before he has a chance to do any of that stuff. you cant just try and weather the storm... it is a pretty fast paced game in that regard i think. you cant just chill too much you kinda always want to be going in or doing something at least you dont want to get caught blocking. if you do its wise to spend bursts or use faultless.

I heard someone say its like Street Fighter Alpha 4 which i actually kidna agree with! lol maybe that is why i like it so mcuh. it feels so open / free with the RC system. lots of great defensive options. if someone spends them all though they will get bent over 100% with full resources free next time they get touched.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 11:31:01 AM »
I’ve never played any of the 2.5D GG games. I was not bad at GG XX when it was in the arcades.

The play styles of different characters can be soooo different. Some of them I really wanted to figure out but I found incredibly unintuitive. I did way better on the characters that were more in the Capcom/SNK mode.

I had one or two of them on PS2 but I couldn’t do the hcb, F for shit without a stick.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 12:29:08 PM »
funny enough was kind of annoyed by that trial this morning lol had to do Kick > Sweep > Super with May which is that HCB > F
apparently if you do 2x hcb it works (i tried it and nailed the trial easily after this... dont know why. probably just going to F > DF would be good enough)

gonna try to get to celestial this weekend, i am at floor 8 rn i think

i have 3x arcade sticks for console lol i cant play FGs on pad anymore, has been over 10 years now since i transitioned to stick

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 12:02:19 PM »
That one is good but this one is my jam:

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 08:39:18 PM »
ost for that whole games so good. kinda like joe satriani

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »
apparently the producer has some part in the composition of the music as well!! so sick!

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 02:47:20 PM »
apparently the producer has some part in the composition of the music as well!! so sick!

Daisuke Ishiwatari is the games creator (including characters and story line) has always been the primary composer, and voices Sol/Order Sol. Not to take anything away from the teams and who have worked in the series but it is 100% his series and always has been. He also composed the music for BlazBlue.

I got way into GG in the Accent Core days, but it was all I could do to get friends to dabble in BlazBlue, so I just kept most of my focus on Street Fighter and MvC where I had more people to play.

I get why people would call GG slow (and it is slower than it used to be IMO) until you're used to the movement. Personally I'm just stoked to see a GG release finally get this much attention. I haven't picked it up yet because I'm in a basement apartment with only wifi, but as soon as I can convince my landlord to let me run an ethernet cable I'll be jumping in.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
if your router is not that far from the PS4/PC its honestly not even that bad. i dont know what your situation is like, but i tried it out and it was fine, but my router was just on the other side of the ceiling maybe just 2-3 meters away. there was a few games i got spikes but wasnt a huge deal - i also played tons of games and it was fine. i know wifi is a big no-no in fighting gmaes but also wi fi has come a long way in the last few years. its not ideal but id rather play on wifi than nothing

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2021, 06:18:29 AM »
Axl main here, games is dope but I’m curious about if they are going to nerf Sol anytime soon.

marley $kate

• Rep: -21
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 12:05:43 PM »
yokohama

kick

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 06:54:29 AM »
Axl main here, games is dope but I’m curious about if they are going to nerf Sol anytime soon.

sol is pretty insane but i find chipp more annoying

anyone wanna get some games in some time? i am on PS4 but i think i am gonna get PC
i am east coast NA