Author Topic: Help with recording formats (new camcorder)  (Read 300 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Help with recording formats (new camcorder)
« on: June 22, 2021, 03:03:42 PM »
Hey guys. I recently got the Panasonic AG AC-30.

I have worked with cameras on the student film level but mainly with DSLR's and digital cinema cameras. This is my first camcorder and I was wondering what is the standard record mode and codec I would want for skate filming? I never completely grasped codecs and recording formats. I know I want to shoot 60fps but  should I go for interlaced or progressive? AVCHD, .MOV, or MP4? I'm working with Premiere Pro btw. I loosely grasp what shutter speed range would work with the frame rate and all that but feel free to add your advice here. I'm looking for a balance of quality and manageable file sizes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

lydius

• Rep: 40
Re: Help with recording formats (new camcorder)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:20:37 PM »
I would go for 60p mov. It looks like it records at 50Mb/s, which is the top for that camera and also good quality and file size (I assume you have an external to hold your files, a good 2TB or bigger is ideal)

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Help with recording formats (new camcorder)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 09:57:43 AM »
I would go for 60p mov. It looks like it records at 50Mb/s, which is the top for that camera and also good quality and file size (I assume you have an external to hold your files, a good 2TB or bigger is ideal)
Thank you. I was leaning towards MOV. For some reason, AVCHD on this camera offers more filming time. I'm guessing its due to it recording at 25mb/s or lower on this camera. Still don't grasp this as AVCHD is described as taking up more space on storage from almost everywhere I look.