Author Topic: Can someone, once and for all, break down the Red Bull hat royalty?  (Read 5468 times)

mayor-quimby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -22
The highest tier of payment goes to the guy who lands the most tricks while wearing the hat, and they have a running tally for each guy?

Who's on top? Who gets paid the most for their hat visibility?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Can someone, once and for all, break down the Red Bull hat royalty?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 08:44:26 AM »
are you asking us to explain how contracts work?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

mushroom slice

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
If you wear the hat you get the stack.
Karmically you are fucked though.
Yolo right?

sketchyrider

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 08:57:16 AM »
If you wear the hat you get the stack.
Karmically you are fucked though.
Yolo right?

also curses you with receding hairline.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 09:06:32 AM »
I ran a skatepark in the Midwest that received a lot of “no strings attached” funding from Red Bull - all we had to do was sell their product in a vending machine and be available as a venue for events like Manny Mania, etc. which was ultimately good for us. They even paid for a remodel of our park and didn’t ask us to put up a Red Bull banner anywhere.

What I heard from our Red Bull marketing rep as well as our SoleTech sales rep was that Sheckler’s deal was $1,000,000 per year base with certain deductions any time he is seen in photo/video without the hat. This was before Instagram so I’m assuming at the time it was based mostly on print media and any televised contests + his MTV show.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 09:15:15 AM »
It really depends on the skater, their contract, projects they do directly with red bull, and whatever influence they have in their own channels (such as insta followers, tik tok, ect). Some dudes just wear the hat and make photo checks on that, and others are doing projects directly with red bull in a partnership capacity and make a lot more.

Jereme Rogers claimed in his Crail Couch a few years ago that his monthly checks from RB were $12.5k, and were by far his highest paying sponsor (and I think he just wore the hats). And this was back in the late 2000s, early 2010s, before instagram was a place to commoditize your clout.

Per a buddy who is big in the Nashville skate scene, Jake Wooten was given $200k to make this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-97RWq4dOE

if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
So, make $200k to wear a hat and skate an abandoned airport?

I'd have no shame selling the FUCK out.

Especially seeing selling out would let me treat my folks to a fat vacation and go towards a house for me, my wife and our dogs.

I see no problem in that.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »

Especially seeing selling out would let me treat my folks to a fat vacation and go towards a house for me, my wife and our dogs.

ahhh this here folks is what we call "REALITY" !! Got that?

we'd all sell out.  and the guys that don't...are either the most steadfast purest mf's ever, or are incredibly stupid.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 09:46:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ahhh this here folks is what we call "REALITY" !! Got that?

we'd all sell out.  and the guys that don't...are either the most steadfast purest mf's ever, or are incredibly stupid.

I remember in Bam's Nine Club, he said someone approached him and called him a sell out. To which he replied, "Yea. Because they [Gilette] paid me $1M. And I'll sell out again."

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »
It really depends on the skater, their contract, projects they do directly with red bull, and whatever influence they have in their own channels (such as insta followers, tik tok, ect). Some dudes just wear the hat and make photo checks on that, and others are doing projects directly with red bull in a partnership capacity and make a lot more.

Jereme Rogers claimed in his Crail Couch a few years ago that his monthly checks from RB were $12.5k, and were by far his highest paying sponsor (and I think he just wore the hats). And this was back in the late 2000s, early 2010s, before instagram was a place to commoditize your clout.

Per a buddy who is big in the Nashville skate scene, Jake Wooten was given $200k to make this:

Hahaha I think this number might be mistaken for how much the shoot cost vs how much Jake gets.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 10:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hahaha I think this number might be mistaken for how much the shoot cost vs how much Jake gets.

You have some special insight as to why you think that or are you just guessing? Because commercials are expensive and Red Bull throws a lot of money at their athletes

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 10:39:42 AM »
imagine calling bam of all people a sell out.. like of course he is thats kinda his whole thing.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 10:45:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You have some special insight as to why you think that or are you just guessing? Because commercials are expensive and Red Bull throws a lot of money at their athletes

I represent Jake and did his Red Bull deal. They take care of Jake and it's awesome. He's a great kid and back his skating 1000%.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
imagine calling bam of all people a sell out.. like of course he is thats kinda his whole thing.

And frontside nollie 270s. 

mayor-quimby

• Rep: -22
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »
$1,000,000 per year base with certain deductions any time he is seen in photo/video without the hat. This was before Instagram so I’m assuming at the time it was based mostly on print media and any televised contests + his MTV show.

I'm just shocked at how consistently certain pros, ALWAYS are in a RB hat.... RB being a disgusting drink that no skater actually drinks .

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 10:51:31 AM »
It's not "selling out" if a person is getting paid based on their ability. I frown more upon the skaters who have been milking their careers for years, jumping from sponsor to sponsor or trying yet again to start their own company, over and over. A skateboard career is one injury away from being non-existent, get paid while you can....

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 995
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 11:11:01 AM »
Couldn't care less about the product but I'm happy how much money Red Bull has poured into skateboarders' pockets over the last 20 years. The airport terminal thing must've been fun as hell for everybody to make, and that's like a blip on their "content" radar for the year.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »
its better than cigarette sponsorship, i guess lol
funny how F1 transitioned from smokes to energon
yeah i am kinda doubitng $200k for like a few hour session as well. seems a bit much

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »
I’m willing to bet corpsey would have loved an American spirit sponsor ship.

I’d also say that Cardiel (and myself) would love a Kodiak sponsorship.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »
While I don't have any insight to how the Red Bull sponsorships works I will say that it's obvious Red Bull supports their athletes more than other energy drink sponsors in skating. They all have to wear the hat, stickers or shirt combo but Red Bull sends massage therapists and physio therapists to skate events for their athletes. They have a retreat house for all their athletes and seem to do more trip funding that Monster or Rockstar. Monster and Rockstar may support their riders (Joslin, Ishod, Kelvin Hoeffler, etc) more beihnd the scenes but it seems like just a cash for promo deal. Red Bull seems more like an event company than a drink company anyways

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 12:59:52 PM »
Expand Quote
$1,000,000 per year base with certain deductions any time he is seen in photo/video without the hat. This was before Instagram so I’m assuming at the time it was based mostly on print media and any televised contests + his MTV show.
[close]

I'm just shocked at how consistently certain pros, ALWAYS are in a RB hat.... RB being a disgusting drink that no skater actually drinks .

And the hats not being cool at all.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 03:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I represent Jake and did his Red Bull deal. They take care of Jake and it's awesome. He's a great kid and back his skating 1000%.

@cliff could you speak a little bit more as to how that worked out? Can you get someone at Redbull to design a nicer looking hat logo so that the skaters can get paid for hat clips and we can watch the clips without being disappointed they were wearing one?

Brguy

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 04:09:45 PM »
Wearing redbulls isn't selling out, riding Royals is selling out.

Biggiemouths

• Rep: -43
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 04:17:22 PM »
The issue was 'supporting something you dont believe in and on top it makes a mess in peoples bodies' WAS'NT IT????

Like, skaters do not believe in society in a way right? We are the outcasters misfits that nobody want, doing the things that nobody wanted to do (had to give Grosso a shrine, RIP), WHY WOULD YOU SUPPORT SOMETHING THAT NEEDS SOCIETY TO EXIST?

I think skaters today have a different mindset than the oldschool ones, which is cool, to each its own, but yeah, me, myself, I, would.not have that type.of sponsors cuz i dont believe in them not cuz i dont want the money

Biggiemouths

• Rep: -43
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@cliff could you speak a little bit more as to how that worked out? Can you get someone at Redbull to design a nicer looking hat logo so that the skaters can get paid for hat clips and we can watch the clips without being disappointed they were wearing one?

Also this, i understand that they dont do.it cuz moms are not going to be stoked in a pentagram with flames, are they?
Sooooo, we go back to the root, YOU ARE NOT SELLING YOURSELF OUT, YOU ARE ACTUALLY SELLING YOUR IDEALS

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 79
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »
That's all fine and dandy with red bull hats, but what about those super sweet, and super awesome monster energy wrist sweatbands Chris COBA Cole used to wear?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2021, 04:33:35 PM »

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2021, 04:39:42 PM »
Redbull is more legit than some of the skate brands out these days.

FlyTec and es? more like ShitDesign and GaspingAtStraws. hurr durrrrrr.

Shit, Redbull even put someone in space.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2021, 04:45:06 PM »
but yeah, me, myself, I, would.not have that type.of sponsors cuz i dont believe in them not cuz i dont want the money

i'm 100% certain that if you were actually approached by a sponsor offering that kind of money you would suddenly change your ideals.  as would any other poster on here.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood