Author Topic: Skating in the rain  (Read 395 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Skating in the rain
« on: June 24, 2021, 08:48:48 PM »
Yooo. I hadn't skated, like full on said fuck it and sessioned in the rain, probably ever until tonight. A few sprinkles were falling here or there but this is my last chance to try to get a few clips at spots where I learned to skate as a kid before I go back home in a couple days, so I figured I'd get some! It start raining, not dumping but full on raining, after about 20min and since I'm abandoning this deck on Saturday anyways I went fuckin balls out and skated in the rain for an hour or so. Its been drilled into my head that water+skateboard=death, so I embraced death for rebirth. Rain is wasted on the clean, know what I mean? Seeing bubbles pool in the concave and flick off when I popped in a different kind of liquid movement than I'm used to kept pulling me in for more until I was slipping off too much. Not trying to crack a tooth tonight.

Anyways, it was a dope surprise skate to wrap up a lame, long trip away. I love it when after a long journey there's just a period of bliss that makes it all worth it. Skating in the rain on a June summer night is the shit. Get some. Shalom
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: Skating in the rain
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:05 PM »
For my bachelor party, my two buddies who stood up at my wedding and I went skating on a Saturday morning. We hit three parks and it rained at the last two. We closed the session out with trying to power slide across the flat bottom of the mini ramp. Lots of slip outs, but it was fun time for sure. Later on we just hung out and drank beers at my buddies place and others came by, real low key.

I bought them new decks and bearings as gifts for being in my wedding.

That was the last time I skated in the rain. It was sick.

Hinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 06:57:46 AM »
as soon as it starts raining im looking for a new garbage bag from the subway station or kinda just waiting it out. had i enough boards to warrant ruining them on a whim guess id find a good hill. not trying to slip out on a drop by any means. flat i could do but whats the point

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 06:58:28 AM »
i want to make a rain setup. was thinking about using this old snow skate and mounting trucks on it, but the tails on them are kinda floppy. maybe find one of those LIB Tech or Aircraft Boards somewhere. spray the trucks with galv paint. Huge soft wheels. i think its possible to get stainless steel bearings too.
ONTARIO CANADA

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 07:09:10 AM »
Sounds like you had a fun session getting soaked.

The only notable rain skate I ever had was one summer when I was at the spot I called the gravel pit back in the summer of 1995 or 1996. I was having a great day landing everything super easy and a summer storm came through. I just kept going even though this vacant lot had an inch or more of water pooled up in some spots (the pits) because of the heavy deluge that was pouring down.

I never slipped out but it was was fun just trying to see what you could do in that much water trickwise. It was more like skating a fountain.

It was only maybe an hour of skating in that heavy downpour. I think I ended up giving my board to some kid that asked for it when he saw I was done skating.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 07:25:44 AM »
I have one memory of skating in the rain. As a kid I absolutely wanted to learn kick flips so I went out to the parking lot on a cloudy Sunday afternoon and tried stationary kick flips over and over. After a while, raindrops started falling but I kept going and eventually landed my first kick flip. I let out a scream of joy all by my lonely, on this parking lot in the rain, the happiest kid in the world.

Sorry if that was too cheesy.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 07:41:01 AM »
I don’t think the heavy stuff’s going to come down for quite a while.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 08:07:46 AM »
When I lived in downtown Portland I would bomb down SW Columbia st and W Burnside on a daily basis to get to work, and most of the time it was in the rain because Portland. It’s actually really relaxing to bomb hills in the rain and not as scary as it sounds and honestly might make it easier as long as you don’t carve too hard and slip out.

Just use an old deck. Trucks and wheels will survive. Bearings can survive too if you lube them up with ‘white lithium grease’ which you can buy at a car parts store for like $2 a tube. This grease essentially waterproofs your bearings, and they will stay alive as long as you spin your wheels for a couple minutes after skating in the rain to get the excess water out of the bearings.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 08:46:03 AM »
When I lived in downtown Portland I would bomb down SW Columbia st and W Burnside on a daily basis to get to work, and most of the time it was in the rain because Portland. It’s actually really relaxing to bomb hills in the rain and not as scary as it sounds and honestly might make it easier as long as you don’t carve too hard and slip out.

Just use an old deck. Trucks and wheels will survive. Bearings can survive too if you lube them up with ‘white lithium grease’ which you can buy at a car parts store for like $2 a tube. This grease essentially waterproofs your bearings, and they will stay alive as long as you spin your wheels for a couple minutes after skating in the rain to get the excess water out of the bearings.

Yeeeah, I definitely have a really new set of quantum bearings in there. Maybe the xermaic coating and lube will make a difference. I'm gonna clean the shit out of them but they're already duds this morning. Hopefully I can bring them back to life. If not, whatever, its my 36th birthday present to myself.

Also, there are no hills where I was last night but I had a blast bombing and popping and sliding down a parking garage. Rain water actually considerably slowed me down and felt less likely to eat crap
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind