Author Topic: Toebox  (Read 1607 times)

logantcook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Toebox
« on: September 01, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »
I’ve been trying to do the whole barefoot show thing to try and fix some knee issues I have, I am currently looking for a skate shoe that has that widest toe box, anyone have any ideas?

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
Re: Toebox
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 06:21:13 PM »
not sure about the widest but the rowan pro’s feel pretty wide… at least for me. maybe try em instore to feel em out

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 07:37:39 PM »
I’m skating rowan pros and I feel like the sk8 hi is wider.

It would be interesting to see a skate shoe with a foot shaped toe box.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:19:02 PM »
I swear by the Numeric 212. Can't skate anything else at this point.

Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Staggerd

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 08:39:04 PM »
Background: I have a 9W foot with an average/almost high arch, but typically just wear 9.5 in most shoes. Also, I'm trash at skateboarding, but have tried a bunch of shoes and when I'm not skating I prefer barefoot/minimalist shoes.

SK8 Hi's rub my pinky toe and are unwearable for me.

I have a pair of Rowans that would be perfect if it wasn't for the stitching that goes across where the laces start. It creates a tightness that ruins an otherwise perfect fitting shoe for my wide-ass, but also not flat feet.

So far, the Wayvee fits pretty great for me, and are the only Vans that I've liked with the Popcush insole (I typically swap for a thinner heel insole to make space in the shoe). The Wayvee obviously has some durability concerns due to all the mesh throughout the shoe. Currently I'd recommend trying this shoe above the rest for a wider foot from the ones I've tried.

The Cariuma Catiba Pro fits my foot probably the best, but it's so floppy and provides no support, so that doesn't really come as a surprise. Before the Wayvee I would have picked the Catiba Pro over any shoe strictly because of the fit.

The Velocity from Footprint has a pretty wide toe box, probably the widest I've tried in a skate shoe, but the outsole and midsole is also just ridiculously flexible that I can feel the parts where the outsole and midsole meet more than I can feel my board. It's distracting. The midsole is poured into the outsole, and there are ridges in the outsole that come toward the center of the shoe that I can feel when I wear them. Maybe I'm just mad, but the "DGS Vulc" shoes are a step back from FP shoes like the Mark I (which unfortunately is even more hideous than the newer FP shoes).

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 09:51:31 PM »
Sk8 his have been the widest for me but can’t skate vulcs any more. NB are pretty good too, I had the 1010s and might get some more in the future.

I have been thinking about this very same thing since I wear barefoot type shoes a lot too, but then I also wondered if that type of extra wide toe would be shit for actual skating. I image the flick would be weird if you can’t get your toes in contact with the board.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 11:44:32 PM »
we cariuma shilling now?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Staggerd

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 05:37:23 AM »
we cariuma shilling now?
Absolutely, that's why I recommended Cariuma's newest shoe: the Wayvee.

Personally I think they ripped off Vans' aesthetic, but that's for the lawyers to hash out.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 06:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
we cariuma shilling now?
[close]

Personally I think they ripped off Vans' aesthetic, but that's for the lawyers to hash out.
excuse my reading comprehension

read a slap account holder tried on cariumas and my brain shorted out
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 07:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
we cariuma shilling now?
[close]

[close]
excuse my reading comprehension

read a slap account holder tried on cariumas and my brain shorted out

lol same.
seconding new balance though, have known a few people who go a half size up (depending on model of shoe) in them and don't get issues with too much extra toe space.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »
Vans Crockett and Crockett High have a nice sized toe box

NB 440 is a little smaller but not narrow by any means

Dunks

Jordan 1 Low

Maybe the new Adidas Tyshawn Low?

please throw your Cariumas in the fire

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »

This definitely. Also it’s just a great shoe.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 01:26:05 PM »
a couple of years ago i did the same thing as op. switched to barefoot zero drop wide shoes.
my feet got wider and stronger/healthier.

my favorite shoe for my new and improved feet are nb 379.
had to go up half a size after the transformation.
they start out a bit long but totally form to my feet in a matter of days.

icetheknees

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 06:35:28 PM »
Glad this thread came up. I went down the barefoot rabbit hole too after some horrible plantar fasciitis and have been looking for some barefoot ish skate shoes since getting back into skating.

Grabbed some NB 255 and 440 at local shop sales this weekend. Just had my first session in the 255s and they felt great! It doesn’t look like it at first but they feel slightly  roomier for your middle toe and ring toe (if that’s a thing) than the 440. The 440 still feels better than anything I’ve tried from Vans too. Looking forward to skating them soon. Here’s a pic next to a few barefoot shoes and Vans that I have so you can see the toe shapes.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 08:57:35 PM »
NB# 420s

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
Glad this thread came up. I went down the barefoot rabbit hole too after some horrible plantar fasciitis and have been looking for some barefoot ish skate shoes since getting back into skating.

Grabbed some NB 255 and 440 at local shop sales this weekend. Just had my first session in the 255s and they felt great! It doesn’t look like it at first but they feel slightly  roomier for your middle toe and ring toe (if that’s a thing) than the 440. The 440 still feels better than anything I’ve tried from Vans too. Looking forward to skating them soon. Here’s a pic next to a few barefoot shoes and Vans that I have so you can see the toe shapes.

I've done barefoot/zero drop for years in hiking/workout shoes and find I like a happy medium (hard to find), plus 'barefoot' toeboxes don't work well for skating.

My barney rubble feat hate that Van's curve (I can skate by with the Rowan and Wavee); what NB shoe is dead center? That's the sort of toebox I need.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 09:54:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This definitely. Also it’s just a great shoe.

gonna echo this.

if you can still find any, the Adidas City Cup has/had a roomy toebox.

also, for the suggestions of the Rowan and SK8 Hi, you could get the pro/skate version, and then put in a thinner insole.
hardly art, hardly starving

icetheknees

• Rep: 11
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 10:21:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've done barefoot/zero drop for years in hiking/workout shoes and find I like a happy medium (hard to find), plus 'barefoot' toeboxes don't work well for skating.

My barney rubble feat hate that Van's curve (I can skate by with the Rowan and Wavee); what NB shoe is dead center? That's the sort of toebox I need.

Yeah that's the 255. It feels like a good happy medium for skating. It's pretty flat inside too, which I dig.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »
Foy 306 are pretty wide

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 05:51:08 PM »
Foy 306 are pretty wide

I was looking at these as well as they have a close look to the 255; what I've found so far is that the square toe box on the cupsoles don't work for me (tried Westgates and 1010s; they run large and the half size down pinches).

After the sizing issues with the cups I'm hoping the vulcs fit better/true.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 02:50:53 AM »
Tried Adidas Matchbreak Supers on at the shop and they felt really good. Not really a Vulc guy anymore so skipped but the wideness was on point for my feet.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2021, 03:04:37 AM »
I have a bit of a narrow foot, and my New Balance Tiago's are a bit too wide for me. I can only wear them with thick socks.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 12:16:05 PM »
I am also on the minimalist tip outside of skating which has helped reduce knee and foot pain.  I'll echo the 212 as the widest skate shoe toebox out there.  Well, the 1010 is wide too, but the heel drop is insane and hurts my knees even more.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 12:36:56 PM »
NB 440 high is a good option. A minimal cupsole. But the lows are narrower.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 02:32:26 PM »
Skate hi or blazer mid

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2021, 02:46:02 PM »
vans skate old skools for vulc or cons fast breaks for cupsole treat my wide feet great. Rowans also feel good but are pretty shallow so could squeeze your foot from the top.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »
vans skate old skools for vulc or cons fast breaks for cupsole treat my wide feet great. Rowans also feel good but are pretty shallow so could squeeze your foot from the top.

I agree about the skate old skools (this and the nb212 are the only two shoes I've felt comfortable skating in, and my bunions are so deformed I've astonished podatrists) but I also cheat and take out the insoles to replace them with flat 5mm footprint ones which gives my toes waaaay more room

fakie varial flip

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »
NB 440 high is a good option. A minimal cupsole. But the lows are narrower.

If the high is actually wider I might try that. The lows were unbearably narrow which sucked because I loved the look, so I've been stuck with the old skools and 212s forever. Is the 440 sole flexible at all?