Author Topic: OJ 95A wheels  (Read 3157 times)

billy_pilgrimspecker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • "You never know who’ll get one"
OJ 95A wheels
« on: June 27, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Anyone try these yet? 95A sounds soft but durometer isn't everything.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
Re: OJ 95A wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »
You’re correct, Billy. Durometer isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 587
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 12:41:14 PM »
Nomads? Yes. I have been skating the 54mm ones. Slides and grinds feel fine with them, they handle shitty pavement pretty well, they don’t feel bouncy. I have liked them so far.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 02:01:25 AM »
They have been discussed quite a bit in the Wheels thread, which should have pretty much everything you need to know:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.3930

But at least to post here, do you mean these ones - Natas 58mm 95 duro elite formula?

* Different to the Nomad 95 duro formula too, from what I have seen and heard, which is also said to be good for a softer wheel.

If you are meaning the big old Santa Cruz (same formula) Elites of 95 duro usually in 60 mm or so and very wide, they are amazing wheels for old school setups or just big monster rides.

I bought some of those Natas wheels just recently and thought they worked really well on one skate I have had on them so far, but haven't pushed them much more than just rolling around and feeling them out on concrete, wooden ramp and a quick but of road bitumen - good all rounder in a bigger size that works well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 08:22:52 AM »
I have them right now and truly can't stand them. Worst wheels I've ever skated. Every wheel bite feels like you hit a rock. Brand new and they aren't holding the bearings. And they flat spotted right away. I like OJ's too but wow I'm bummed.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »
I have them right now and truly can't stand them. Worst wheels I've ever skated. Every wheel bite feels like you hit a rock. Brand new and they aren't holding the bearings. And they flat spotted right away. I like OJ's too but wow I'm bummed.

The Nomads or another 95a OJ wheel?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 11:36:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I was bout to order those natas 95a's but if he's talking about those nvm! Shalom

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I was bout to order those natas 95a's but if he's talking about those nvm! Shalom

The Nomads to clarify! I probably won't try anything under 99a again.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 03:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The Nomads to clarify! I probably won't try anything under 99a again.

NHS are pretty good with quality control and keeping people happy.  Maybe send them an email or something and they might help you out.

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 08:43:40 PM »
They have been discussed quite a bit in the Wheels thread, which should have pretty much everything you need to know:

But at least to post here, do you mean these ones - Natas 58mm 95 duro elite formula?

* Different to the Nomad 95 duro formula too, from what I have seen and heard, which is also said to be good for a softer wheel.

If you are meaning the big old Santa Cruz (same formula) Elites of 95 duro usually in 60 mm or so and very wide, they are amazing wheels for old school setups or just big monster rides.

I bought some of those Natas wheels just recently and thought they worked really well on one skate I have had on them so far, but haven't pushed them much more than just rolling around and feeling them out on concrete, wooden ramp and a quick but of road bitumen - good all rounder in a bigger size that works well.

Yes, I meant to say the elite formula--thanks. Also I'm new here so yes, I should have looked through existing threads first. I've never tried OJs but I'm seeing them more and more in my town. I don't care that some of my favorite pros use them, though, because they can get new ones for free if they get a flat spot.

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 08:44:16 PM »
You’re correct, Billy. Durometer isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.

You're saying size doesn't matter?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 05:28:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, I meant to say the elite formula--thanks. Also I'm new here so yes, I should have looked through existing threads first. I've never tried OJs but I'm seeing them more and more in my town. I don't care that some of my favorite pros use them, though, because they can get new ones for free if they get a flat spot.

I guess the hardest thing I found too is if you are using the search function, often things don't come up as easily as they might with a google search (more relevant slap threads come up in there actually) but also things like the wheels thread is now over 130 pages long, and you don't really want to go through all that trying to find a little info on one specific wheel, so I completely understand.

Often the most recent page is the best, then go back from there.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 05:38:31 AM »
Yeah nhs wheels suck for holding bearings. You can literally wiggle your wheels in any direction and they will move. I just stick with f4 because I know they're gonna last and feel amazing.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 05:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah nhs wheels suck for holding bearings. You can literally wiggle your wheels in any direction and they will move. I just stick with f4 because I know they're gonna last and feel amazing.

Yeah the reality is I would be happy never riding any other wheel again, Spitfire Formula Four in 99 duro, with the 97 as a backup for softer wheels / slippery surfaces.

Sometimes I do like to try other wheels or get them for people as I know they like other things too, but I guess that is just the shop helping people with whatever they want (and I get to ride it too).

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 06:26:32 AM »
First of: I have a huge nostalgia boner for speed wheels.
I have some OJ mini combos in 95a from a few years back. I really like them. I think NHS is blowing it by only doing the mini combo shape in 101a elite. I think the slime balls shape may be the same, but the marketing/aesthetic is a little atomic warheads sour candy.

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 09:06:52 AM »
I have been skating them the past few weeks. They feel great for rough surfaces but don't really slide or grind as well as they are marketed too. They will slide but you need to use too much extra force, so its not really enjoyable. It's kinda a strange duro for me.  Overall they are not bad wheels by any means and I like them enough on my flatground setup to keep em
I also set up some 97A formula fours and those puppies are everything I was looking for. They handle rough surfaces incredible for a 97A but also powerslide and grind like 99A. I'd recommend just getting those.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah the reality is I would be happy never riding any other wheel again, Spitfire Formula Four in 99 duro, with the 97 as a backup for softer wheels / slippery surfaces.

Sometimes I do like to try other wheels or get them for people as I know they like other things too, but I guess that is just the shop helping people with whatever they want (and I get to ride it too).
Yeah I really like trying other wheels because it's fun switching it up just to see if it's something you're gonna like. I always go back to f4 tho. But I did try those polar wheels and tbh I really liked them. They're not as good as f4 but they are great wheels.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 11:24:54 PM »
97a spitfire F4

All you need

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 06:20:06 AM »
97a spitfire F4

All you need

I couldn’t find any!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 06:46:29 AM »
They aren't awful but I think slimeballs/bloodsuckers are a better option. 97a so they handle cracks and crust well but still have a really nice slide. They're hardline shape which i think is a bit wider than the nomads but not as chubby as like a spitfire conical full or NFG V shape.

Impossible to find at the moment, but if you want a really good soft-but-not-too soft wheel then the NFG crust formula is the best one I've tried. I think they're targeting late summer/early fall for the next batch so you'll have to wait but they're worth it imo. Also the 54mm squares are pretty similar shape-wise to the nomads.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 08:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote
97a spitfire F4

All you need
[close]

I couldn’t find any!

Shopping local or online?

Seriously, if you need a wheel to perform but under 99a you can't beat the 97a F4. I've never been a huge fan of 101a spits as they aren't as fast to me as bones in smooth parks/plazas, and too hard and even glassy on rough terrain; the 99a are pretty much perfect but on crust (even cobblestone) the 97a F4s excel and you don't give up anything.

Now if they would give us some other smaller sizes (yeah they will get small fast) and different shapes.  I'd buy a Radial Slim 97a in a heartbeat.

Expand Quote
[close]

My Elite Hardline hold onto bearings just fine, but then again they are 101s, the 95a I could see being the opposite; hell even getting the bearings out of 99/97a spits is pretty easy.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
I still find my 97a F4's to be slippery. I wish I could find something soft but not too soft in a 54mm, other than OJ since reviews are saying they can't even hold bearings :(

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 01:02:02 PM »
I still find my 97a F4's to be slippery. I wish I could find something soft but not too soft in a 54mm, other than OJ since reviews are saying they can't even hold bearings :(

Don't believe all you read.

These ones (and all the other OJs I have had come through my hands) hold bearings fine.

If they didn't hold bearings they should be returned for warranty.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 01:21:53 PM »
I definitely felt a little more slip with my 97a Spits, but either I got used to it or it was the effect of a new wheel. I'm a 97a lifer now - the best wheel I've found for anyone who isn't just skating glass-smooth SoCal skateparks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »
I just got these on Monday and they feel pretty good. They slide ok (not as well as F4 97’s) and handle a little crust well enough. The shape and size are mainly why I got them. In the mood for some fat, 60mm wheels

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 60
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 12:22:26 AM »
I'd buy a Radial Slim 97a in a heartbeat.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2021, 12:31:04 AM »
I just got these on Monday and they feel pretty good. They slide ok (not as well as F4 97’s) and handle a little crust well enough. The shape and size are mainly why I got them. In the mood for some fat, 60mm wheels

I hated these, couldn’t get them to slide without major effort, they were also massive, can't recall but they were either 55 of 60mm. Granted they are the generic OJ formula and not the elite.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:48:12 AM by Xen »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 07:03:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
97a spitfire F4

All you need
[close]

I couldn’t find any!
[close]

Shopping local or online?

Seriously, if you need a wheel to perform but under 99a you can't beat the 97a F4. I've never been a huge fan of 101a spits as they aren't as fast to me as bones in smooth parks/plazas, and too hard and even glassy on rough terrain; the 99a are pretty much perfect but on crust (even cobblestone) the 97a F4s excel and you don't give up anything.

Now if they would give us some other smaller sizes (yeah they will get small fast) and different shapes.  I'd buy a Radial Slim 97a in a heartbeat.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My Elite Hardline hold onto bearings just fine, but then again they are 101s, the 95a I could see being the opposite; hell even getting the bearings out of 99/97a spits is pretty easy.

I’ve been trying to shop local, and the last time they got spitfires there were no 97du wheels, so I jumped at the nomads. That said, I’ve been enjoying them and I am not experiencing flat spots or bearings slipping out. It’s possible I’m not skating as hard as the guy who flatspotted them, though.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 07:12:05 AM »

I had a set of those. The grip was nice but the size made tricks difficult.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a set of those. The grip was nice but the size made tricks difficult.

Yeah, flip tricks are a little clunky with them for sure.