Author Topic: Need supportive shoe recommendations  (Read 1657 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Need supportive shoe recommendations
« on: June 28, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
Hi all,

I work at a job that requires I stand for long periods of time, and I need a skate shoe that has great support. I skate to work which is why I specify a skate shoe. I've been using the Vans Pro AVEs, but they don't work for me as they don't have much support and really strain my feet and knees. This is with both the stock insole and FP Gamechanger insoles.

I don't have a preference in construction type, although I'd imagine a cupsole would be more supportive. The color doesn't matter much, but I'd prefer all black or at least a muted/plain color.

Nike SB, Converse CONS, and similar shoes are completely out of the question. I've rocked with Lakai XLK Manchesters and XLK Newports before, but I don't know how they'd hold up for my purposes.

Thanks for the help!

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: Need supportive shoe recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:45:36 AM »
Hi all,

I work at a job that requires I stand for long periods of time, and I need a skate shoe that has great support. I skate to work which is why I specify a skate shoe. I've been using the Vans Pro AVEs, but they don't work for me as they don't have much support and really strain my feet and knees. This is with both the stock insole and FP Gamechanger insoles.

I don't have a preference in construction type, although I'd imagine a cupsole would be more supportive. The color doesn't matter much, but I'd prefer all black or at least a muted/plain color.

Nike SB, Converse CONS, and similar shoes are completely out of the question. I've rocked with Lakai XLK Manchesters and XLK Newports before, but I don't know how they'd hold up for my purposes.

Thanks for the help!

Do you bring a backpack or anything of that sort to work? In general skate shoes are just not good for standing at a job. If it's possible having an extra set in a backpack or whatever would help a lot. If that is not an option you would probably want to look into something with a foam midsole.

Grip Jobs

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 06:52:56 AM »
My girl skates in Timbs

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 06:56:15 AM »
Buy some chillers!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 07:13:45 AM »
Buy some chillers!

Seconded, if the shoes only give you issues standing at work a comfy pair of runners or something would be a better solution. Skate shoes are horrible for standing around all day especially vans. But here's another thread with a ton of good shoe recommendations for supportive skate shoes.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=117394.0

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 07:40:09 AM »
I’m basically just piling on.
I feel you: my feet hurt, and I tend to have these desires to want to somehow buy the ultimate thing that allows me to have less things. Doesn’t work, for me.
A shoe that’s good for skating, won’t be great for standing, and vice versa, imo.
Timbs are nice for standing. A solid, structured shoe really helps standing. Or Birkenstock’s. Or Brooks addiction walkers.
Foot strengthening exercises help. But standing for long hours is just brutal.
If I HAD to skate to work and stand, I’d choose shoes for the standing rather than the skating.
If you want to buy a pair of skate shoes to stand in, same shit we old people always say: dunks/Jordan 1’s with an insole, or some type of midsoled shoe with orthotics.
Best of luck

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 07:51:50 AM »
The Berle is honestly an amazing work shoe. The sole is a monster and incredibly supportive. I couldn’t imagine skating them though.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
As said above, I'd go with the equivalent of Dunks from a brand that you tolerate buying, and switch the insoles for Gamechangers.
Or even better yet, if you're OK with Adidas : Sucius 1 or 2 with the adiprene in/midsole. Amazing when broken in to your feet. You can still find good ones on second hand sites and apps, but don't sleep on it.
That's my findings after years of pain while standing still and trying A LOT of things.

And keep us updated! I'm interested in what works for other people. :)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 09:24:54 AM »
Can you can keep a pair of sneakers in your workspace? I'd recommend skating to work in whatever skate shoes and then switching out to some runners onsite. I'm a laborer and these Nikes really saved me a lot of agony.

https://www.nike.com/t/react-infinity-run-flyknit-2-mens-running-shoe-8XGSrl/CT2357-101

Otherwise maybe search eBay for some Nike SB Project BAs. They're a decent hybrid. Good luck!

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 10:45:53 AM »
Gonna echo what others have said and strongly suggest that you (or anyone else really) don't ever wear skate shoes except for when you're skating. They're about as ill-suited to anything other than skating as a shoe can possibly be. When I switched from wearing skate shoes at all times to wearing supporting running shoes at all times except when skating it completely eliminated knee and other leg problems that I'd had for forever and assumed I would continue to have for the rest of my life.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 12:58:07 PM »
NB# 1010 all day.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »
NB# 1010 all day.

Current fave. Recommend trying on tho, sizing is kinda in between for me: I wear a 10 in most shoes, 10 in the 1010….is pretty loose, but skates fine.
9.5 too tight.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »
NB# 1010 all day.
I think the 1010 is the right shoe for sure, I found it a bit stiffer and like the shoe was doing more work, like on a more traditional running shoe. You might find 1010's unskateable if you are used to floppy vans and vulc shoes, but I skated and labored in them for 6 months no problem.  They're the most impressive shoe I've bought in years. They are made even comfier with a 306 insole.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
Expand Quote
NB# 1010 all day.
[close]

Current fave. Recommend trying on tho, sizing is kinda in between for me: I wear a 10 in most shoes, 10 in the 1010….is pretty loose, but skates fine.
9.5 too tight.

I'm lucky, they're TTS for me, got kind of narrow feet.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 02:40:12 PM »
I'm in a similar situation, tried all kinds of shoes and somehow the vans kyle walker 2 (and the 1's probably too) are the only shoes I can stand around in all day

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 05:15:09 PM »
Adidas liberty cup are a good comfortable cupsole. If you can tho I'd just bring some nike air max or similar shoe with you to change into when you got to work. I'm working in some air max prime and my feet never hurt. And I'm on my feet 8 hours a day without even sitting down.

phlap

• Rep: 8
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
supportive shoe recommendations
You can do it, I believe in you!

But real talk, the DC Williams S is a great candidate, if you like how they look.
-Summer of George-

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 09:15:53 PM »
Thanks for the inputs everyone!

I have thought about bringing a pair of shoes to work, but wanted to see if there was a skate shoe that would work so I won't have to carry so much.

Going to give my Newport XLKs a shot and see if they work. If not, I'll look into bringing a second pair of shoes to work.

sharkbarf

• Rep: 2
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 10:38:29 PM »
Get the Tiagos they go with any fit

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 11:45:18 PM »
Best shoe out no questions asked

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 02:22:06 AM »
Legacy Slims were the shit but the midsole felt pretty narrow. Skate shoes are the worst for standing and will never again wear them at work. Funny thing is, I like to use very minimal shoes, almost like barefoot shoes but with just a little bit support, my feet never get tired wearing those even for 8 hour working days.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 07:36:13 AM »
I’m on my feet all day at work and do a lot of walking during my shift, I always wore skate shoes with aftermarket insoles until I couldn’t get through a shift before having serious foot pain. I got a pair of ON clouds that are a running shoe but are really light and great on my feet. Now I can skate after a full shift which I haven’t been able to do in a while. Super light so if you threw them in a backpack you wouldn’t have an issue

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »
Fuck skateshoes at work.

Get a pair of Redback boots and carry them with you in a small bag as you skate to work.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 01:33:11 PM »
Get some Hoka’s or Altras for work then switch into your skate shoes, like others have said

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2021, 10:31:07 PM »
NB1010s

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »
Get some Hoka’s or Altras for work then switch into your skate shoes, like others have said

I really dig Altras, one of the best shoes I've worn allround.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 12:27:51 PM »

I have thought about bringing a pair of shoes to work, but wanted to see if there was a skate shoe that would work so I won't have to carry so much.

Going to give my Newport XLKs a shot and see if they work. If not, I'll look into bringing a second pair of shoes to work.

Have you already looked at the new Lakai Telford's?
They also have that XLK stuff and are mad comfy. I rolled my ankle really bad 4 weeks ago and wear these shoes to work.
IG: @flowterspace

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 11:50:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have you already looked at the new Lakai Telford's?
They also have that XLK stuff and are mad comfy. I rolled my ankle really bad 4 weeks ago and wear these shoes to work.

Yeah! Actually just ordered them (needed new skate shoes anyways). My Newport XLKs have held up really well for work so far. Foot fatigue is minimal and my knees aren't hurting, and these shoes are already super beat. I'd imagine having a new pair would work better after I break them in.

So far I haven't needed to bring a second pair of shoes to work yet, but I'm still going to keep that option open.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 07:58:23 PM »
I've been having a lot of knee pain in my right knee (arthritic or meniscus)...and have been wearing SB Blazer lows with 7mm Footprtint insoles.  Decided to go with more support with same Footprint insoles in some e'S Accel OG, seems to have made a huge difference for my broken 48 year old body.
Was filming myself trying to slappy that ledge (no make), hence my action shot

Edit: prob going to stick with thick shoes until I can get around 200lb, at 218 now.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2021, 04:34:15 AM »
Accel OG are good option, they have thicker sole and proper midsole so they will absorb impact better plus puffier upper will keep foot snug and secure. Another good option from eS is Silo, shoe is super comfortable with great impact support (thick sole and midsole).