Author Topic: Good cities in the (American) South to go during the winter/spring?  (Read 783 times)

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
Some time next month or April I’m thinking that of going somewhere in the southern corner of the country for a quick skate trip. I was thinking California but figured the south might be more interesting

Any folks got ideas for good cities to skate around that region? Good public transportation and good food a huge bonus. I was thinking New Orleans, maybe somewhere in Texas? Very open to ideas.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 10:18:25 AM by Candied cigarettes »

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: Good cities in the (American) South to go during the winter/spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 10:54:34 AM »
Nothing more south than Florida. Tampa pro May 1st I think

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 10:57:43 AM »
Some time next month or April I’m thinking that of going somewhere in the southern corner of the country for a quick skate trip. I was thinking California but figured the south might be more interesting

Any folks got ideas for good cities to skate around that region? Good public transportation and good food a huge bonus. I was thinking New Orleans, maybe somewhere in Texas? Very open to ideas.
Good food is the entire south.  Good transportation is none of the south.
The best southern cities in my opinion (New Orleans Savannah Charleston) are not the best for street skating because they are so old/preserved.  Worth going just to eat & drink though.  Tons of famous street spots in Atlanta.  Also I don't know if its commonly known but the south is generally crusty, more like the northeast than the west.

rhetoric

• Rep: 24
  • Sparkalonius Died For You
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 06:53:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Good food is the entire south.  Good transportation is none of the south.
The best southern cities in my opinion (New Orleans Savannah Charleston) are not the best for street skating because they are so old/preserved.  Worth going just to eat & drink though.  Tons of famous street spots in Atlanta.  Also I don't know if its commonly known but the south is generally crusty, more like the northeast than the west.

Just lived in Charleston for the past 8 years. Can confirm it's pretty rugged to skate, unless you wanna just cruise the northern 2/3rd of King St downtown...turns to cobblestone going south towards the Battery. The fountain there and the hotel plazas around King/Calhoun/Meeting could serve you well. And there's a really sick DIY park under the overpasses on King/Huger.
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 07:17:03 PM »
For skating? Raleigh, Asheville NC, Atlanta, Tampa

Cool southern city vibes? Dallas, Nashville, New Orleans

rhetoric

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 07:31:34 PM »

Asheville has any good street spots or just the park(s)? So hilly I imagine any spot would be pretty gnarly.

You know what the scene is like in Columbia, SC by chance?
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 09:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Asheville has any good street spots or just the park(s)? So hilly I imagine any spot would be pretty gnarly.

You know what the scene is like in Columbia, SC by chance?

There’s parks and some street, but Asheville’s main draw is their sick DIY culture. Think a smaller southeastern version of Portland.

I have no clue about any South Carolina scenes though.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 06:59:14 AM »
Atlanta was a yearly trip for a few years, so much fun down there.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 08:12:41 AM »

Public transit is absolute shit or nonexistent in the south for the most part (they are very beholden to the car and won’t fund it), and most places are really spread out. The only exceptions to this are probably Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans which are great cities for food and walking around, just not so much for skating. Atlanta has a good amount of spots but you’ll need to drive to get to most of them. Florida has some worthwhile spots but again you’ll probably need a car to get to most of them. Can’t speak on Texas as I haven’t been out there much but Austin seems pretty good.

rhetoric

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 09:00:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Florida has some worthwhile spots but again you’ll probably need a car to get to most of them. Can’t speak on Texas as I haven’t been out there much but Austin seems pretty good.

Florida is riddled with good spots and great skateparks, but yeah you'll need to drive anywhere unless you're in the middle of a city's downtown area or waterfront plaza (Jax, Tampa).

Also, Texas has some of the best ditch spots.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 01:22:51 PM »
If you dont want to rent a car at all, Atlanta or Miami is probably your best bet. Those might be the only 2 citys in the south that have real public transportation lol.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 12:16:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Public transit is absolute shit or nonexistent in the south for the most part (they are very beholden to the car and won’t fund it), and most places are really spread out. The only exceptions to this are probably Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans which are great cities for food and walking around, just not so much for skating. Atlanta has a good amount of spots but you’ll need to drive to get to most of them. Florida has some worthwhile spots but again you’ll probably need a car to get to most of them. Can’t speak on Texas as I haven’t been out there much but Austin seems pretty good.
i can chime in here on austin-- weather is pretty decent, lots of great food, things don't cost a fortune compared to some other major cities. the spots are killer-- if you like to skate ditches/DIY. but you'll need a car.

miami is a better option if you don't want to rent a car for sure, and it's warmer this time of year. and there's some rad beaches. miami rocks for a long weekend. i've had some great short trips to miami, it was an annual winter trip for me when i lived in nyc. and i know i'm not the only one.

new orleans is rad to visit, affordable, killer food for cheap, lots of partying, definitely better than austin for getting around on bus or foot... but i didn't really think it was that great of a place to skate, if thats your main goal. locals might tell me i'm super wrong if they know better.

atlanta is ok. the public transit is better than austin, i guess, but it still sucks. it's not as walkable as new orleans or miami, and the food isn't as good either. atlanta is like a great place to stop on a roadtrip or tour, and probably a fine place to live since it doesnt cost a fortune but its still a big transit/commerce/media hub. but idk, i don't think its really a place for a getaway

just my two cents

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 12:38:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i can chime in here on austin-- weather is pretty decent, lots of great food, things don't cost a fortune compared to some other major cities. the spots are killer-- if you like to skate ditches/DIY. but you'll need a car.

miami is a better option if you don't want to rent a car for sure, and it's warmer this time of year. and there's some rad beaches. miami rocks for a long weekend. i've had some great short trips to miami, it was an annual winter trip for me when i lived in nyc. and i know i'm not the only one.

new orleans is rad to visit, affordable, killer food for cheap, lots of partying, definitely better than austin for getting around on bus or foot... but i didn't really think it was that great of a place to skate, if thats your main goal. locals might tell me i'm super wrong if they know better.

atlanta is ok. the public transit is better than austin, i guess, but it still sucks. it's not as walkable as new orleans or miami, and the food isn't as good either. atlanta is like a great place to stop on a roadtrip or tour, and probably a fine place to live since it doesnt cost a fortune but its still a big transit/commerce/media hub. but idk, i don't think its really a place for a getaway

just my two cents
If you are in a good (meaning not unsafe) part of intown Atlanta it is expensive as fuck.  Which is where you'd likely be if you are coming to skate so be prepared.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2022, 09:30:24 PM »
Dallas is great, has tons of spots, solid parks, and a pretty decent light rail system.

Houston is great but public transport here sucks big ass. But if you do come to Houston lemme know and we can get a sesh in