Author Topic: Happy 20th Birthday SLAP FORUM  (Read 7188 times)

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
Re: Happy 20th Birthday SLAP FORUM
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2021, 06:48:05 PM »
I spent the early-to-mid 2000s on the Emerica message board as “pad.” I think I made my fist account here in 2009. I don’t want to imagine life without this place.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2021, 07:11:14 PM »
Excellent. Definitely seeing a screen name I had forgotten about on the '02 grey boards. Changing from the original white boards to the grey boards was kind of scandalous ha ha ha
I don't remember when we had to deregister, because I think there were 3 versions of the boards. Maybe not?

We didnt have a home computer, so i slapped at school but got banned from high school internet use during the first boards after a computer tech traced back my use of the boards. Got called into headmasters office to answer questions about the language used. A thread about pussy or bitches or something. I mean, we were researching/procuring stuff thru erowid/bluelight/shroomery, watching bum fights, and I get popped for the OG slap boards.

I made a few homie connects back then, some AIM peeps and stuff. Traded CDs and some other shit. We might have done a secret santa thing, or that could have been a cd trading forum i was on. I've never used much social media, so thru this its kind of wild to be able to look see what I was thinking/doing as I grew up over the past 20 years. Its a humbling reflection and a privilege to see proof in the pudding, rather than only biased memories.

TBH, if whitely is out there, thanks, man. Regardless of how cringe SLAP was/has been/is/can be, along with everything else,you ushered us into a new age of digital skateboarding life. Good looking out. Understated legend.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 07:45:38 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

City of Drunken Totems

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2021, 07:13:50 PM »
jones and snicks and a kicky front crooks

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2021, 07:23:37 PM »
That's not all he did
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2021, 07:29:20 PM »
Gnars for life @WarmUpZone. This is awesome!

Props to all Pals and posters, past, present, and future. I came across SLAP sometime in 2010 while trying to learn as much as I could about Andrew Reynolds and a thread link came up in a Google search. Ended up being a lurker for a while until I signed up in November 2011 while procrastinating college homework. Despite its glaring faults and some shitty posters, I love this forum and have met some awesome people here.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2021, 08:07:40 PM »
Wow @WarmUpZone that was rad, haven't seen that landing page in forever! I joined in the mid 2000s, was on the skateboardcity forums for a while before lurking on here and finally posting. I recall @loophole who I knew IRL giving me the dirtiest look when I told him I was on skateboardcity instead of Slap, skating with him when he was in my neck of the woods are some of the best memories I have.

Stuff that stuck out with me were:
1) Pontoonboat - no idea who he was at the time or why his name was bought up so often
2) CotG and rawbertson - hated them in the past for posting shit but they had strong opinions and stuck to them, always respect them for that
3) Fake Fully Flared links - 2007 was fun, everyone wanted this but were rick rolled mercilessly
4) ISUCK posting on here - I believe till this day that us badgering JT to put Pete Eldridge on Mystery was successful
5) The "first" and second Slap videos - had some shitty clips on them with my boy Loophole, got to see just how amazing some of you guys are
6) Posting on here incessantly during my uni days - Slap and skateboarding helped me hold onto my fleeting youth, but I'm glad I took most of the 2010s off to try other sports and live outside skateboarding, love it as much as I did in my teens
7) The ISUCK legal battles - 17 pages documenting a fall from grace, especially riveting since I was a huge JT fanboy back in the day
8 ) Having John Cardiel read out fan question - when the magazine was still around mods would do a month pro Q&A, I submitted one shortly after the Epicly Later'd Cardiel episode, asking him which he would rather redo (Burnside drop in or 50-50 the Union Square rail in Sight Unseen), he said the rail but wanted to 5-0 it initially. Such a trip to hear my user name called out by him

Here's to 20 more years of Slap.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2021, 10:06:57 PM »
Wow @WarmUpZone that was rad, haven't seen that landing page in forever! I joined in the mid 2000s, was on the skateboardcity forums for a while before lurking on here and finally posting. I recall @loophole who I knew IRL giving me the dirtiest look when I told him I was on skateboardcity instead of Slap, skating with him when he was in my neck of the woods are some of the best memories I have.

1) Pontoonboat - no idea who he was at the time or why his name was bought up so often
2) CotG and rawbertson - hated them in the past for posting shit but they had strong opinions and stuck to them, always respect them for that
3) Fake Fully Flared links - 2007 was fun, everyone wanted this but were rick rolled mercilessly
4) ISUCK posting on here - I believe till this day that us badgering JT to put Pete Eldridge on Mystery was successful
5) The "first" and second Slap videos - had some shitty clips on them with my boy Loophole, got to see just how amazing some of you guys are
6) Posting on here incessantly during my uni days - Slap and skateboarding helped me hold onto my fleeting youth, but I'm glad I took most of the 2010s off to try other sports and live outside skateboarding, love it as much as I did in my teens
7) The ISUCK legal battles - 17 pages documenting a fall from grace, especially riveting since I was a huge JT fanboy back in the day
8 ) Having John Cardiel read out fan question - when the magazine was still around mods would do a month pro Q&A, I submitted one shortly after the Epicly Later'd Cardiel episode, asking him which he would rather redo (Burnside drop in or 50-50 the Union Square rail in Sight Unseen), he said the rail but wanted to 5-0 it initially. Such a trip to hear my user name called out by him

That was a cool thing. He answered one of my questions as well. I was hyped. There was also a cardiel haiku contest. I won one of the prizes. Autographed cardiel deck, wheels, antihero playing cards, slap/cardiel t shirt, and a grip of fireworks. Also, I think with the epicly later'd, someone was giving slap posters copies of it. Maybe i got it with the prize pack, but i rrally think there was a give-away. Except for the fireworks, I've still got all that stuff saved back at my parents home. Super cool!

There were some beasts skating here too. I remember Ali Atmaca shredding hard. Total animal.

YMHY/Greg is one of my all time least favorite posters.

Gipper could be pretty insufferable, but he had that back 5050 on the clipper, so there was respect due. Homie never had a problem talking about prostate milking either ha ha ha dude was probably a cool high school teacher.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2021, 10:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was a cool thing. He answered one of my questions as well. I was hyped. There was also a cardiel haiku contest. I won one of the prizes. Autographed cardiel deck, wheels, antihero playing cards, slap/cardiel t shirt, and a grip of fireworks. Also, I think with the epicly later'd, someone was giving slap posters copies of it. Maybe i got it with the prize pack, but i rrally think there was a give-away. Except for the fireworks, I've still got all that stuff saved back at my parents home. Super cool!

There were some beasts skating here too. I remember Ali Atmaca shredding hard. Total animal.

YMHY/Greg is one of my all time least favorite posters.

Gipper could be pretty insufferable, but he had that back 5050 on the clipper, so there was respect due. Homie never had a problem talking about prostate milking either ha ha ha dude was probably a cool high school teacher.

Is @grimcity still around? @EricLogan had a great opening part too in the first video too.

I'm not sure who it was but I got send 2 Slap t-shirts, the angel logo and 1 with sanskrit-looking text. Robin from Vans mailed out a copy of Cardiel's Epicly Later'd to me with a tiny flip book. Both gifts were so rad, I'm from a tiny country in Asia and getting packages from the US blew my mind back then.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2021, 10:49:38 PM »
shalomm
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

chrisskates808

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2021, 12:09:45 AM »
Happy 20th Birthday!

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2021, 12:09:56 AM »
There was a lady who worked at Vans that was sending DVD’s of Cardiel’s Epicly Later’d to SLAP PALS. Back then it was hard to find a TV connected to the internet, so When I got the DVD I basically held watch parties with my friends.

Another notables: Meat Spin, Brooklyn Brawler, VHS copies of the television show Skate, Winter Socks

EDIT:I  just realized Rocklobster already mentioned Robin from Vans
ableSkateMag.com

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2021, 01:55:12 AM »
Happy Birthday SLAP Forum and Shalom to all the PALS and everyone who makes this board the most entertaining, knowledge filled and hilarious time of my working day.

Love ya all.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2021, 02:25:40 AM »
yooo dope research. HBD !

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2021, 04:24:01 AM »
Happy Birthday SLAP Forum and Shalom to all the PALS and everyone who makes this board the most entertaining, knowledge filled and hilarious time of my working day.

Love ya all. Y'ALL!  ;)
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2021, 05:23:36 AM »
Happy birthday!

I've been here since earlier this year after I heard the nine club guys talking about this forum

Best one I've visited for sure! Only regret is not registering years before

Cheers

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2021, 07:29:05 AM »
Another notables: Meat Spin, Brooklyn Brawler, VHS copies of the television show Skate, Winter Socks
What an awful/awesome era of SLAP that was. I was duped an embarrassing amount of times

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2021, 07:31:36 AM »
As in the Clipper hubba? Why am I only learning of this now?!?!??!

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2021, 07:32:31 AM »
COTG wow haven’t thought of that name in years. He had some great rants about being good at skateboarding.

I talk a lot of shit on this forum but most of it is in jest. This is a fun place. Weird to think how much time has gone by.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2021, 07:34:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe that it was the Hubba hubba.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1132
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2021, 07:41:32 AM »
for the last 7 years slap has helped me through many tough days and nights that i would never wish upon anyone. thank you guys for being here. to 20 more.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
Sweet!

The crail board went down and huphtur told me that slap is a good place … must have been around 2004-2005. Everything seems blurry.

this was my path too

Tho i think the crail board only lasted a year or so

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2021, 07:56:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What made Gipper eventually focus? Didn’t he have something like 50k posts? I remember him debating/arguing with a lot of people.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2021, 08:04:29 AM »
Mid-2000s Slap was wild.

Seeing Johnny Layton's junk was not what I expected on a skateboarding forum. But we also endured Todd Falcon and Doug Brown so nothing fazes me (as much).

A lot of the links are dead but this was (is?) an S-tier thread
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=5043.0

Expand Quote

[close]

Unfortunately that video was lost to the annuls of time. I wonder if the mods have access to the magazine archives, or who has access to the digital copies of magazines, photos and video.

OIAM was a rad concept, the first few iterations were fun. I think Randy Ploesser was an ex-poster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqbmG3nPHw

Lastly, not sure if this was an urban legend but Alex Chalmers (Canadian Flip rider) was the first or second member ever on here. Every member has a member number and he was supposed to be the Smitty Werbenjägermanjensen on Slap.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2021, 08:52:23 AM »
He's the first member of this version of the forum, which started in 2005 (https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0). Not sure he was the first first member, though. On a related note, Andy Stone was maybe the first pro to post on here. Sluggo was also an early Slap pro and sent RDS videos to whoever wanted one.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2021, 09:13:46 AM »
Cheers to another 20. I still have a few Shalom stickers from a few years ago.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2021, 09:15:10 AM »
He's the first member of this version of the forum, which started in 2005 (https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0). Not sure he was the first first member, though. On a related note, Andy Stone was maybe the first pro to post on here. Sluggo was also an early Slap pro and sent RDS videos to whoever wanted one.

Amazing stuff! Since Slap is more message board than magazine now, who controls the digital assets like magazines, videos and videos?

I still have a few Shalom stickers from a few years ago. Cheers to another 20

@Monkey_Mcpott was kind enough to mail me some a while back, can't bear to stick them on anything.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2021, 10:30:34 AM »
Nate Jackson’s backfired attempt to out Brooklyn Brawler was some of the funniest shit at the time
fuck you bama

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »
sick thread.

i must have started lurking around 05 or so. maybe even earlier. registered sometime 2011. but it was around the time or some time before fully flared came out when i lurked almost daily.

i love slap, it was my favorite print mag.

happy birthday and hopefully this keeps going for 20 more years.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 8
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »
Damn! Happy Birthday, some of those screenshots brought me some memories, thanks for posting this OP.

I think I started lurking here on 2007-2008 and as my profile says, joined on 2011. I remember I ended here because I spent a lot of time reading  the comments section in every Thrahser´s web post, before the facebook thing when everyone commented anonymous with fake names. Someone mentioned the forum or put a link there and the rest is history, still here.

If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

What made Gipper eventually focus? Didn’t he have something like 50k posts? I remember him debating/arguing with a lot of people.

he didn't focus, profile is still up. just disappeared.