Author Topic: Flying with boards 2023 edition  (Read 1720 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
Re: Flying with boards 2023 edition
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2023, 04:15:38 AM »
I have flown probably 20 times in the last few years with a board. Small breakdown of the things I have done

-Back pack as carry on, fully assembled board as personal item. Back pack under seat, board in the over head.
-Flying southwest I have checked the board as my second free bag, just stuck the luggage sticker around the deck.
-Trucks and wheels in back pack, brand new deck in wrap strapped to backpack.
-Strap complete to back pack and waited for the "we're looking for volunteers to check carry on" then checked my carry on luggage bag at the gate for free and did step 1. Used this one for a shorter weekend trip.

The only time I was ever given an issue was sitting in an aisle seat with a board under the seat in front the flight attendant said it was a trip hazard in case of emergency and tossed it in the over head. The beauty of the skateboard being thin is you can still fit it on top of bags in a full over head bin.

I have never had any issue with TSA, when going through security I do unstrap it from the bag and send it through xray alone. FWIW I also have TSA PreCheck and those TSA employees are usually more chill, except for Oakland, that airport is absolutely the worst.

Gearing up to go back to England next week and taking a board for sure.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

pedro_mayn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2023, 02:37:18 AM »
Any UK/Euro heads here to chime in on this? Pardon if anyone has and my stupid eyes have glossed over it.

I've always taken trucks off and put board + trucks in my hold, pack around it and what not. Fairly sure it's been a no, no to take a setup board with your carry on luggage. If so, they might charge as sports gear or something stupid.

Skate tools have been a weird, gray area in terms of having it on you on the flight. My friend simply flew to Jersey and they took his off him that was left in his bag and on the contrary, my friend recently got through security with one in his camera bag.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2023, 01:12:41 PM »
Nothing's really changed about flying with boards recently - it's still all the same. The key is being discreet and flying carry on only if you can. Where they usually try to charge you extra is at the check in counter. If you can skip that step then once you're boarding the plane the gate agent can't be arsed.

All the stuff in the right fits in my bag. I take the trucks/wheels off and put them in my shoes then place everything in a packing cube. I put my deck in an Ikea laundry back, wrap it around, then strap it to the side of my backpack. I've never had anyone try to charge me extra for it. The deck is technically too tall for budget airlines and wouldn't go under the seat so I usually try to not fly with a brand new deck just in case I do need to toss it out. You probably have more risk in them making you toss the skate tool tbh.

Dopethrone

• Rep: -20
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2023, 03:35:25 PM »
Any UK/Euro heads here to chime in on this? Pardon if anyone has and my stupid eyes have glossed over it.

I've always taken trucks off and put board + trucks in my hold, pack around it and what not. Fairly sure it's been a no, no to take a setup board with your carry on luggage. If so, they might charge as sports gear or something stupid.

Skate tools have been a weird, gray area in terms of having it on you on the flight. My friend simply flew to Jersey and they took his off him that was left in his bag and on the contrary, my friend recently got through security with one in his camera bag.

Yep, I always fly with a board and I've only successfully took it through as carry on like once, I've been rejected multiple times  they have given me various reasons one being it can be used as a weapon etc etc. Now I just take the board apart and put it in my case or just take trucks and buy a board where I'm going.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2023, 01:55:28 AM »
Been doing this in Europe a lot post COVID cos I’m generally broke and I don’t wanna pay 50€ in “sports equipment” everytime, when flights maybe 20€ return.
This was always with the shittiest companies like Easyjet / Ryanair too.
I take the trucks off most of the times. Carry the boards in my hand. Slightly hide them when handing the passport at last step.
Avoid eye contact / interactions at ALL times.
So far I’ve had success rate of 4/4. 🤞
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2023, 08:14:59 AM »
I asked your one at Lufthansa and they said no problem in Manchester asked again in Munich and the lady there said no you need to check it it (just a board). The lad at security in Manchester told me no tools are allowed in carry on.
Flying sucks. But there is always spots at airports...

BurritoMiles

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2023, 02:03:38 PM »
I brought my full complete thru security at Paris CDG terminal #1 and London Heathrow terminal #4 in June of this year. I tried to bring it thru security at Bahrain's airport but they gave me the nay-no. Istanbul I couldn't get past the check in desk without then telling me I couldn't bring it on.

Domestically in the US is always super chill, never in my 20 years of flying with a board have I ever taken it apart and I've only been told twice that I need to "consolidate" my 3 items into 2. I usually travel with a backpack, tote bag and the skateboard.

Mexico has always been the worst, they always want you to use that scam shrinkwrapping thing. Asia too they always seem to sweat it.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2023, 12:19:15 PM »
Nothing's really changed about flying with boards recently - it's still all the same. The key is being discreet and flying carry on only if you can. Where they usually try to charge you extra is at the check in counter. If you can skip that step then once you're boarding the plane the gate agent can't be arsed.

All the stuff in the right fits in my bag. I take the trucks/wheels off and put them in my shoes then place everything in a packing cube. I put my deck in an Ikea laundry back, wrap it around, then strap it to the side of my backpack. I've never had anyone try to charge me extra for it. The deck is technically too tall for budget airlines and wouldn't go under the seat so I usually try to not fly with a brand new deck just in case I do need to toss it out. You probably have more risk in them making you toss the skate tool tbh.

That's highly impressive. I also like to travel with packable items as well. Saves a lot of space. Reversible and packable? Forget about it, done deal.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2023, 10:22:41 PM »
Yah that is a pretty solid flex and rightfully so….