Author Topic: France: Paris - Marseille - Lyon  (Read 5135 times)

Marsellus Wallace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
France: Paris - Marseille - Lyon
« on: July 05, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »
Yo Pals,
I´m heading to France (Paris, Marseille & Lyon by train) with a few friends in august and wanted to ask for any sort of tips or recommendations (places to stay, bars, food, culture, swim spots, spots, ...)
...especially asking for Marseille and Lyon!

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: France: Paris - Marseille - Lyon
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 09:57:34 PM »
The tenth in Paris particularly around canal st martin is real nice and spots everywhere and a good park and there’s this lock, so you can get stoned and watch small boats go up and down through the lock

Locks are pretty interesting when you’re real bent
I would suggest watching the lock with a baguette or crackers with some nice Brie and some cured meat, goes hard
listen to cosmic psychos

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 12:08:39 PM »
Going to Lyon soon. Anyone have any spot recommendations
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 12:33:11 PM »
The tenth in Paris particularly around canal st martin is real nice and spots everywhere and a good park and there’s this lock, so you can get stoned and watch small boats go up and down through the lock

Locks are pretty interesting when you’re real bent
I would suggest watching the lock with a baguette or crackers with some nice Brie and some cured meat, goes hard

Damn, you made lock watching sound real amazing. Made me dream of lock watching in the summer.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 12:36:42 PM »

Heaps. HDV is a do not miss. There is loads of parks along the Quai's..plus Venice slappy spot also a do not miss. Be sure to hit up Wall St and ABS both killer shops. Wall St has a mini and curbs in the shop.
I will write a better list/guide of spots tomorrow.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 01:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Heaps. HDV is a do not miss. There is loads of parks along the Quai's..plus Venice slappy spot also a do not miss. Be sure to hit up Wall St and ABS both killer shops. Wall St has a mini and curbs in the shop.
I will write a better list/guide of spots tomorrow.

Thanks man. Really helpful.

Yeah lethal please do

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 01:42:04 PM »
Man if you have a minute can you tell me where the last spot is. I remember the handrail from Flip Sorry. I always thought it was do able as it looks quite low.

https://www.redbull.com/nz-en/videos/the-scene-in-lyon-the-skate-capital-of-france

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 11:48:20 PM »
So I’m moving France towards the end of the year, paris to be exact. Any pals live there? If so ; WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND. Kinda worried about the whole moving 10000 miles away from my home to a foreign country thing.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 02:33:29 AM »
^

Get fluent in French before going. English might be fine for work but I had the hardest time in Paris and I can understand / speak French quite decently (B2).

Go skate Republique that place is amazing. Whole city is gorgeous. Enjoy!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 03:27:38 AM »
Man if you have a minute can you tell me where the last spot is. I remember the handrail from Flip Sorry. I always thought it was do able as it looks quite low.

That's at the spot people call 'Small Place' in Lyon. That rail is a fake one by the way, first brought to the spot by the Cliché/Wall Street team I believe who used to place locks on it but that was over twenty years ago. I believe the rail has had three inceptions since with the city removing it and then people placing another one, so I guess don't be surprised if you ever show up and it's not there. There's a recap of the story of the spot somewhere online I believe (A Propos Skate Mag?), most likely in French.

So I’m moving France towards the end of the year, paris to be exact. Any pals live there? If so ; WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND. Kinda worried about the whole moving 10000 miles away from my home to a foreign country thing.

I can be your friend from 90 minutes away and holla whenever I get to visit... You'll be alright though. Just avoid making one big mental mountain out of the place like a lot of people do (e.g.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome) and maybe watch your back to a degree comparable to how you'd do it in Barcelona as the typical 'street prey' in Paris really is anyone who looks new to the city, like a foreigner or tourist. Be as street smart as a skater tends to be though and you'll be safe and learn your way around quick.

OP: all of Marseille is basically a mishmash of everything you described looking for. Spots and skaters everywhere too. Incredible city and welcoming folks. The accent may or may not leave its mark on you ('eh cong').

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 11:27:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's at the spot people call 'Small Place' in Lyon. That rail is a fake one by the way, first brought to the spot by the Cliché/Wall Street team I believe who used to place locks on it but that was over twenty years ago. I believe the rail has had three inceptions since with the city removing it and then people placing another one, so I guess don't be surprised if you ever show up and it's not there. There's a recap of the story of the spot somewhere online I believe (A Propos Skate Mag?), most likely in French.

Expand Quote
[close]

I can be your friend from 90 minutes away and holla whenever I get to visit... You'll be alright though. Just avoid making one big mental mountain out of the place like a lot of people do (e.g.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome) and maybe watch your back to a degree comparable to how you'd do it in Barcelona as the typical 'street prey' in Paris really is anyone who looks new to the city, like a foreigner or tourist. Be as street smart as a skater tends to be though and you'll be safe and learn your way around quick.

OP: all of Marseille is basically a mishmash of everything you described looking for. Spots and skaters everywhere too. Incredible city and welcoming folks. The accent may or may not leave its mark on you ('eh cong').

Ha no way

Interesting, thank you

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 05:33:36 AM »
I am in Lille if you want

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 07:17:26 AM »
Lille which is fucking sick for skating by the way. Rougher than most, but one of my favorite cities in France. Scene in the 90's was really strong if not pivotal and to this day Zeropolis carries that torch quite well. I haven't been in quite a few years now but really miss it. I'd encourage people to check it out, just come prepared for harsh weather. Comparable vibe shift to West Coast vs. East Coast.

Also, for fun times' sake, do not sleep on Bordeaux.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 09:29:48 AM »
@RichardBarkley when do you go to Lyon? I wrote a huge post last night be the site kept crashing on my shite phone. Check that pinned post euro spots also.

@DCLOVE I'm in the Alps but hit me up if your ever down this way. Try duo lingo it's free and will get you the basics

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 03:26:27 AM »
@RichardBarkley when do you go to Lyon? I wrote a huge post last night be the site kept crashing on my shite phone. Check that pinned post euro spots also.

@DCLOVE I'm in the Alps but hit me up if your ever down this way. Try duo lingo it's free and will get you the basics

Will do, thanks man I'll check out euro spot's. Im actually moving to Barcelona. But on the way in going to visit a friend in Cornillin for a week then get the train from Avignon to Barca.

I figure why not fly into Lyon and get a hotel and stay for a night or two. I get in around mid May.

Actually do you know when the Lyon slappy challenge is typically held?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 05:09:07 AM »
Yeah it's a direct flight from Dublin. Lyon for sure is worth a few nights to check out. The slappy contest is in mid September but worth coming back for!

Avignon is amazing also definitely take a day or two to check it out also.

Depending on weather and work might be able to meet you in Lyon for a few pints and a skate in May.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 07:15:47 AM »
Deadly man. Few pints and a skate sounds beast. I'll shoot you a message a few days before my flight and we see if we can make it work.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 08:56:32 AM »
Give me a few weeks notice dude, my work sometimes is difficult for me to get time off at the last minute. Normally the weather should be grand in May also.

Pablo Ilie

• Rep: 2
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 09:14:26 AM »
Try to go to Nantes & Bordeaux too!
Spots are pretty rad!

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 09:52:29 AM »
Give me a few weeks notice dude, my work sometimes is difficult for me to get time off at the last minute. Normally the weather should be grand in May also.

Will do man

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 10:02:28 PM »
Haha thanks guys I’ll be sure to hit you up. I’m going to visit and get a grasp and figure out where to live in march-ish then moving out there august to try and find some work before the program I’m doing starts in October. When you say think of it like Barcelona how do you mean . I’ve always heard it can be a little rough . I’m coming from living in LA for the last decade which can be dicey but never really had any issues . Any way to relate the two?

As for the Learning French thing I got duolingo and have got a few podcasts ive started listening to try and get as good as possible. I was actually talking to my neighbor today turns out one of his parents is from France so he speaks the language is gonna help me learn which is a god send cause my French knowledge is the basic shit most Americans know and the little I picked up from an ex who lived in France for years.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 06:54:16 AM »
When you say think of it like Barcelona how do you mean . I’ve always heard it can be a little rough . I’m coming from living in LA for the last decade which can be dicey but never really had any issues . Any way to relate the two?

You sound experienced so you'll be alright - I was mostly pointing that out because it's not exactly uncommon for foreigners to visit France thinking it's a perfectly safe country, and then fall prey to what really are basic street shenanigans to a local, pickpockets most especially (I've even read about such experiences directly on SLAP). In Paris in particular, people are really good at spotting whenever you look clueless even for a split second and will take advantage of just that, and so you shouldn't exactly drop your guard even if the crowd around you looks innocent or is women or kids - because that's a form things can take. Disappearing is also easier than in the U.S. since streets don't exactly follow strict patterns and someone who will rob you probably knows the subtle nooks and crannies of every possible alleyway. But with that in mind, as long as you don't look completely lost in the subway and watch your belongings, you'll be fine. I'm not bringing this up because it's an especially bad issue, just to make sure you're aware that it exists.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 02:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote
When you say think of it like Barcelona how do you mean . I’ve always heard it can be a little rough . I’m coming from living in LA for the last decade which can be dicey but never really had any issues . Any way to relate the two?
[close]

You sound experienced so you'll be alright - I was mostly pointing that out because it's not exactly uncommon for foreigners to visit France thinking it's a perfectly safe country, and then fall prey to what really are basic street shenanigans to a local, pickpockets most especially (I've even read about such experiences directly on SLAP). In Paris in particular, people are really good at spotting whenever you look clueless even for a split second and will take advantage of just that, and so you shouldn't exactly drop your guard even if the crowd around you looks innocent or is women or kids - because that's a form things can take. Disappearing is also easier than in the U.S. since streets don't exactly follow strict patterns and someone who will rob you probably knows the subtle nooks and crannies of every possible alleyway. But with that in mind, as long as you don't look completely lost in the subway and watch your belongings, you'll be fine. I'm not bringing this up because it's an especially bad issue, just to make sure you're aware that it exists.

Oh okay yeah makes sense. Just be cautious and watch your back essentially. From what I’ve read and what you’re saying I’m figuring I just treat it like how I do when in NYC with subway comparisons and such. Seems easy enough front pocket your shit until you get your bearing and look like you know what you’re doing. Thanks! Hyped on this . Skate spots look cool and I actually watched a couple videos of that boat lock someone was talking about haha, seems like a good time if you got nothing better to do for an afternoon but watch some boats go by .

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 04:41:16 PM »
Yeah man silhouette is right in pointing that out but believe me Europe in general is super mellow compared to the US. LA was on another level of gnarliness for me. Or maybe that’s the point of being a stranger in a foreign land dunno but it was dodgy for sure.
Never had a problem in any major city I’ve been/lived in Europe.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 08:58:12 PM »
Oh okay yeah makes sense. Just be cautious and watch your back essentially. From what I’ve read and what you’re saying I’m figuring I just treat it like how I do when in NYC with subway comparisons and such. Seems easy enough front pocket your shit until you get your bearing and look like you know what you’re doing. Thanks! Hyped on this . Skate spots look cool and I actually watched a couple videos of that boat lock someone was talking about haha, seems like a good time if you got nothing better to do for an afternoon but watch some boats go by .

Yeah totally, nothing that especially deserves being blown out of proportion, just trying to avoid you bad experiences I've read other PALS tell before. Fun-at-parties me almost wants to talk shit on the boat lock because there's so much more to do and see in Paris but in actuality yeah, that's a pretty nice place and I can get down with it, haha. Tons of really cool spots in the area too (including some semi hidden ones) and it's right next to Jemmapes skatepark if you ever fancy first try 360 flip requests from kids the very second you arrive when you're really just trying to get the legs going with kickturns (it's not bad, just that story did happen to me). Lifestyle is a bit similar to N.Y.C. in how one could basically just live in the city and skate anywhere, one of those places where it just makes sense to be out with and on your board at all times, just a bit less unreasonably hectic, so I feel like you will like it.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »
I'm actually gonna go to Paris for the first time in May. Been living here (in France) on and off since 2012 and have never been, knowing my luck it will rain the whole time haha.
I was in LA in 2003 and was not sketchy at all (well to me). Took public transport all over Compton, long beach and Huntington beach... perhaps we were just lucky or shits changed.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 03:28:39 AM »
@DCLOVE if you have facebook there is the page that post's spots in Paris its called:

Paris Secret Street Spot - PSSS

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2022, 09:57:28 AM »
Is the spot at 1 min 12s Lyon?

https://youtu.be/WPobLnEo2bY

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2022, 11:38:33 PM »
well, the description of the video says "Victor Campillo in his hometown Marseille." so, i would guess, no - it's in fact in marseille

usehername720

• Rep: 6
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 12:04:45 AM »
I’m going to Paris this week and I was looking for fun spot recommendations in the 18th district/Chatelet/Les Halles areas. Anybody have any spots? Definitely gonna go to the Place de la Republique.

Is that wallride spot on the melting apartment statue outside Gare Du Nord a certain bust? Saw it got somewhat skatestopped with poles but it looks still possible to get a decent wallride. I heard you’ll get busted quick though.

Also, I’m not gonna be able to bring my deck, so I’ll be buying one from a skateshop there. Any shop recommendations preferably close to the areas I mentioned above? I was going to go to Dayoff skateshop because I love their crew and their vids but they’re probably gonna be closed. Looking for a shop deck because I don’t want to spend too much money on a deck I won’t be able to take home in one piece