Author Topic: France: Paris - Marseille - Lyon  (Read 5133 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: France: Paris - Marseille - Lyon
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2022, 12:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Do you live there full time silhouette? Would love to meet up with someone to skate with while I’m there .
[close]

Nah I'm just over an hour away, or I would have instantly PM'd you and Easy Slider. I do visit quite a bit, but these days am pretty bound to my town for a gazillion of personal reasons, making it a struggle to leave on even small trips. I did take note of your dates though, and will let you know if I get to come around, it's always a pleasure to skate with people. Otherwise perhaps I can try and hook you up with my friend Masaki, he's the best spot guide and person. And if by chance you just so happened to have one day to spare during your stay and would like to see a bit more of the country than the capital, then I would be glad to extend the invite I made earlier to Easy Slider.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
whats up pals, I'll be in paris october 10th - 13th to hang and skate and meet up with my girlfriend before going to Italy

I spent a month there in 2008 filming, skating and living on a couch in an apartment a few of us rented. Excited to go back and see how much has changed. 

crazy to hear that bank spot was notorious for water bottles being tossed at you, our homie loved skating that spot when we were there and would go by himself, but we must have had 5-8 bottles thrown at us at that spot over the course of the month. Good times!

any recommendations on places to stay in paris? hostels, hotels, whatever, gonna be there monday oct 10th-Thurs oct 13th , would be nice to stay near Republique or Bastille , relatively cheap would be nice too.
[close]

Depends on what‘s cheap for you, I was staying the last three nights at Villa Beaumarchais. It‘s right between Bastille and Republique, both only a few minutes to skate to. It‘s around € 150 for a double per night, decent beds for the old body.

I was skating la Place de la République on the first night, mad busy but good vibes, and then the Port de la Rapée flatbars for two days in a row, all by my lonely (bar a few friendly homeless dudes and cycling tourists). These flatbars are so much fun for a mediocre dude like me. And the setting is idyllic, right by the Seine river shores. From there it is only a stone’s throw to spots like Gare d’Austerlitz or Bercy.

Now I am of to new adventures.
[close]

nice! Is that the spot with the benches that drop down onto the flat bars, under the bridge and right on the seine ? I noticed that all the ledges were now waxed at that spot too, when we were there everything was bone dry .

I ended up booking 3 nights at generator hostel, some ritzy-ish looking hostel / hotel situation that is about a ten minute skate from republique . it was $55 a night to stay in a 4 bed dorm style . I'm gonna try and keep my shit pretty minimal in terms of what I need to travel.
[close]

Yes, that‘s the spot and the ledges are waxed but there is quite a few tents under the bridge and the homeless guys have set up a table and chairs next to the ledge and chill out there.
[close]

Did you get to see the amazing (but narrow) banks on the bridge itself? The run-up sucks (wooden planks going the wrong way) so they're only so fun to skate, but I love them. Also no one else seems to skate them but I also like the pillars underneath the bridge (right next to the flatbars) as a steep wallie to wallride channel gap kind of thing (I do a no-comply off one pillar into the other there in the Magenta video Balade, with a giant cock spray painted on the wall in the background that I never noticed until I saw the footage).
[close]

No I didn‘t see the narrow banks nor the wallie pillars and tbh I can‘t even wallride. I have earmarked the bd Richard Lenoir manny pad tho, as I will stop over in Paris when I get back from the Ile de Groix (where I arrived today after spending last night in the Mont St Michel).
[close]

Ah the banks and pillars would have been a good place to learn wallrides at actually, the banks are pretty steep but not excessively so and the pillars have this little banked curb cut thing leading up to them that really helps send you onto them. Maybe you could learn that move here and then take it back as a souvenir! Unless the board potentially shooting out and into the Seine would be a deterrent, but realistically I've never had or seen that happen there. Enjoy Ile de Groix! I was on a family vacation at Ile d'Oléron just a couple weeks ago, fun times. Cheers!

Now you got me hyped. But I have no clue where these banks (on the bridge) and pillar (under the bridge) are supposed to be. Are we really talking about the Pont Charles de Gaulle? Also a timestamp to your no comply in the Magenta vid would be appreciated. Merci!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2022, 01:04:35 AM »
Ah no, the bridge I'm talking about is this one, Passerelle Simone de Beauvoir, basically the next second one over (I wasn't so sure which bridge exactly you meant because the flatbar and bench set-up basically spans all the way from Pont Charles de Gaulle to that one), you can see the banks on this photo, that's just a ten-minute skate in a straight line from your spot (and an especially smooth and fun one on the Austerlitz side and not the Bercy side):

And my clip with the cock graffiti is at 13:50 in this, you can see more of the rest of the spot in the background (and otherwise for skateboarding that's actually interesting, I would recommend Soy and Vivien's shared part at 15:10 which is one of my favorite video parts Magenta has ever produced):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZRK28cAPM

Proof that it also has the flatbars at 2:32 in this (Hugo is the best):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSo78zS30nw

But around Pont Charles de Gaulle and the general Gare de Lyon area also is really cool. Some really neat or just fun to skate on the upper platforms there too (for instance Vivien's first line spot in the Balade part I brought up above is there). Pont Charles de Gaulle itself is funny because has this tantalizing wallride obstacle-looking set-up that's really not one that's running all along the sidewalk, you can't really skate it because you'd have to ollie up the ledge but then your knee would instantly catch the top of the tube. But I've seen so many locals over the years just cruise around, then casually ollie then kick their board inside the tube for a ghost wallride kind of thing as they run next to it before it goes back down and they can jump back on it again. Fun, fun.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 02:23:29 AM by silhouette »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2022, 07:12:47 AM »
Ah no, the bridge I'm talking about is this one, Passerelle Simone de Beauvoir, basically the next second one over (I wasn't so sure which bridge exactly you meant because the flatbar and bench set-up basically spans all the way from Pont Charles de Gaulle to that one), you can see the banks on this photo, that's just a ten-minute skate in a straight line from your spot (and an especially smooth and fun one on the Austerlitz side and not the Bercy side):

And my clip with the cock graffiti is at 13:50 in this, you can see more of the rest of the spot in the background (and otherwise for skateboarding that's actually interesting, I would recommend Soy and Vivien's shared part at 15:10 which is one of my favorite video parts Magenta has ever produced):

But around Pont Charles de Gaulle and the general Gare de Lyon area also is really cool. Some really neat or just fun to skate on the upper platforms there too (for instance Vivien's first line spot in the Balade part I brought up above is there). Pont Charles de Gaulle itself is funny because has this tantalizing wallride obstacle-looking set-up that's really not one that's running all along the sidewalk, you can't really skate it because you'd have to ollie up the ledge but then your knee would instantly catch the top of the tube. But I've seen so many locals over the years just cruise around, then casually ollie then kick their board inside the tube for a ghost wallride kind of thing as they run next to it before it goes back down and they can jump back on it again. Fun, fun.

Wow that stuff around the Passerelle looks insane. I‘ll try and check it out on Wednesday.
why come?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2022, 12:48:09 PM »
silhouette that no-comply wallie gap was so sick!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2022, 12:45:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow that stuff around the Passerelle looks insane. I‘ll try and check it out on Wednesday.

I'm seeing this a bit late, but did you end up going? There's one particular route I like that I tend to show visitors around when in town myself, start at Jussieu (the best and most fun ledge is skatestopped now IIRC but you still have a bunch of skatable ones around and also good flatground, perfect to warm up especially during the holidays where it's not as crowded with students), then cruise all the way to Austerlitz and keep going in a straight line and uphill (tons of spots on the way including Austerlitz itself; a lot of neat stuff to hit just on the border that side of the Seine too, but try and explore that uphill street still, you'll thank me later - or not). From that point on, past Austerlitz you can check out the Passerelle, then from there on, loop back to your starting area via the opposite side of the Seine, all the while hitting all the Gare de Lyon and Bercy spots you see in your path. Or you could stay on your original side and completely branch out in a straight line in whichever direction really, and find yourself exploring those neighborhoods that all have stuff including the occasional gem, then hop on a metro back. That's already enough to keep most people busy for a day.

If you have another full day to try and hit something in the suburbs, too, I'd say pick Créteil over Mairie d'Ivry (blue wave/yellow manny pad spot), you'll have a way more laid back session with locals. Mairie d'Ivry is amazing and Ivry in general is crazy for skating but solo might get bleak. Whereas Créteil is one thick slice of crew plaza skating whenever you go, guaranteed (and there is a lot more to Créteil than that plaza too).

@Lukabrazi thank you, honestly the spot sort of dictates that trick there, for some reason the angle is perfect and so it just works all the time. But it's a pretty fun contraption to mess around on for sure and I'm happy it got caught on film!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2022, 01:39:40 AM »
@silhouette thanks mon ami, unfortunately things took another turn. My wife came down with gall stones (nothing to do with Fred) and we had to get back home immediately on Sunday. She‘s now lying in a hospital with the doctors trying to remove those stones but so far without success. I appreciate your advice and hope to get back to Paris to skate those spots. Right now I am not even in the mood to skate at all. That‘s something for the „not stoked“ thread tho.
why come?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2022, 01:46:28 AM »
That's wild, sorry to hear about that, really hope things work out for the best and she gets better soon. Too bad your holidays were cut short but that's OK since you'll be back another time! Best of luck and positive thoughts.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2022, 06:21:06 AM »
Is anyone going to the Wallstreet slappy thing next weekend?

I just got an email reminder that my flight is coming up.

My friends will be busy/working during the days, so if anyone is up to skate around to some very low impact (aka very easy for an old man, flatground, manny pads, curbs, etc.) spots, I'd love to cruise around and check out the city a little more or even just to chill and grab a beer or whatever. I've only been to Lyon once before and I didn't have my board so this will be my first time actually skating in the city. I'd also love to go out to the DIY but I'm not sure it's easy to get out there without a car.

I don't speak french at all, so keep that in mind, haha.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2022, 05:31:05 PM »

You’re entering a world of pain..
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2022, 09:44:57 AM »
Aye I'm going PM me and we can meet up. Few Brit mates are coming also. Probably will get there Friday for the pre-party at OS..

beatifk

« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2022, 02:33:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

OK, care to elaborate?

Aye I'm going PM me and we can meet up. Few Brit mates are coming also. Probably will get there Friday for the pre-party at OS..

Cool, I'll send you a message. I'm going to the party on friday with a friend after she gets out of work, so I'll probably see you there.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »
@beatifk have to grab some tickets on Friday!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2022, 07:19:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

OK, care to elaborate?

Oui harr notoree-ousli prétibade at dis sing cold Inglish, saw hope fooly you have no problème with commune-icating.

Ze best of euss huile traille dough.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2022, 07:42:33 AM »
Hahah sil.

It’s something I noticed by traveling / living basically all around Europe.
IMHO it’s the place where people are less down to speak in English to you. More of a funny thing to say of course than a critique.

I understand it has lot to do with French history and I really respect that and the fact they keep it core. I can also speak the language so it’s fine.

You’re gonna be fine with peers and skaters man, I have a couple of French friends around and it’s not a problem at all.
I just had funny experiences at places like restaurants and hotels and stuff you know and with older people.
I was trying my best to speak the language and I could see them laughing in my face haha.

No beef just something related to your quote dude.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2022, 08:06:29 AM »
Hahah sil.

It’s something I noticed by traveling / living basically all around Europe.
IMHO it’s the place where people are less down to speak in English to you. More of a funny thing to say of course than a critique.

I understand it has lot to do with French history and I really respect that and the fact they keep it core. I can also speak the language so it’s fine.

You’re gonna be fine with peers and skaters man, I have a couple of French friends around and it’s not a problem at all.
I just had funny experiences at places like restaurants and hotels and stuff you know and with older people.
I was trying my best to speak the language and I could see them laughing in my face haha.

No beef just something related to your quote dude.

I think the song is the same around the world, going by if someone is obviously not making an effort a communicating and solely putting it on you for not magically knowing their language then they're not doing their part and are being the asshole. But you do really see a difference in European countries based on something as simple as whether or not T.V. shows and movies are traditionally translated vs. dubbed. Generally speaking, people in the Balkans (for instance) speak better English than the French do because they've been exposed to the logic of the language (of the existence of different languages, even) their whole lives. But when instead, your whole life you've basically been getting everything served on a plate in a way that seems specifically tailor-fit for your special needs (sometimes losing an awful lot in translation, literally) then until you get that reality check, there's no way of gaining the perspective and hindsight on how maybe your logic is not an absolute.

It's only the younger generations that are finally getting to travel for cheaper than the older ones and seeing more of the planet, too, coming to terms with a more correct representation of their real importance in the world. So it's mostly the old and hardcore conservatives who will try and pull this shit. Like you're saying, the youth is smarter. Also, if someone ever laughs at you trying then most of the time it's really because the attempt is genuinely cute and endearing and they don't mean to downright mock you. It's just inherently always a bit fascinating hearing your own language being spoken in original ways.

I'm convinced the French people (or really anyone) who will give someone shit for not speaking their language - sometimes despite the other party showing even in the laziest possible effort - are really just fighting their own inner frustration, a lot of people absolutely resent being reminded that they're just one small little dot in the universe (albeit strong of its own, but relative importance) and limitations in language can be this interesting trigger. But the reality is, for one person like that, ten will call them out or silently judge. Just be the smarter person then, save your energy and move onto a brighter part of your day. Just having typed such a long post I think is making the problem more important than it actually is, worldwide and regardless of specifics an asshole is an asshole.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:15:31 AM by silhouette »

beatifk

« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2022, 08:21:25 AM »
Hey, if old folks (or anyone really) wants to laugh at me for being an idiot, that's their choice, it doesn't bother me.

I moved to a tiny village in the countryside in a country where I knew ZERO of the national language nor the local dialect which is generally spoken there, and, yes, I felt foolish at first, but now I speak the language well. The dialect, not so much, but I've moved from that village to a slightly larger town now, so it wouldn't be useful even if I knew it.

I've also traveled all over the world, I'd say Japan for me was way more difficult than any place I've ever been in Europe (although I've found some Spaniards to be quite hardheaded in that regard) even if they're generally polite about it, I felt like a complete asshole most of the time, haha. I've spent tons of time in Paris, so it's not like I don't know a word of French, I can order a beer or read a menu at a restaurant, but having an actual conversation is obviously out of the question. 2 of my good friends are local Lyonnais; one of them speaks very good english (he learned from films) and the other speaks a little less well, but we can communicate the same.

I'm not worried about it. If you don't do uncomfortable things in life, what's the point of living?

@beatifk have to grab some tickets on Friday!

Hmmm... might have to miss it... I gotta check with my friends to see what they want to do. I'll let you know though!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:29:56 AM by beatifk »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2022, 09:09:25 AM »
All good. There is an after party at Voxx also. It's a cool bar.
Don't worry about your French as long as you say Bonjour/Bonsoir and Merci. There will be loads there that can't even mange that.
I'll shot you a text Friday afternoon.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2022, 01:39:12 PM »
Don't worry about your French as long as you say Bonjour/Bonsoir and Merci. There will be loads there that can't even mange that.

I see what you did there
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2022, 02:57:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I see what you did there

Hahahaha that was auto correct, my phone is in French but to be honest my spelling sucks in any language.

If anyone is thinking to Lyon this weekend a rough planning is OS Friday night for the pre party, skate around the city Saturday, 16h slappy contest at Venice, 20h30 or 21h30 depending on who you know etc the Polar premier then after party at Voxx. Sunday is breakfast at Wall Street and an expo of OG decks in the shop then Session at HDV. I might have missed other details but that's the main stuff. Well looking forward to it.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2022, 01:28:24 AM »
Fucking hell enjoy the city mon amis.

I’m so jealous. HDV is très sexy.
I wish I could put a tent nearby and skate that everyday.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2022, 01:51:48 AM »
Last time I was at the skate park des quais there was a few skaters with tents...I'm too old for that shit unless actually in the Mountains I want a bed and a shower haha.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2022, 02:57:37 AM »

@Mark Renton lol there is a deaf people expo here impossible to skate

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2022, 03:36:00 AM »

@Mark Renton lol there is a deaf people expo here impossible to skate

HEAVEN

Sheeesh 🥲

I didn’t come to Lyon to go to your fucking deaf people expo man..

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2022, 04:28:15 AM »
https://youtu.be/0i97Mqfaano

Such a great weekend. Was great meeting you @beatifk lets do it again soon! Europals if you can make it next year do it! It's getting bigger and better every year. Lyon is amazing.

beatifk

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2022, 02:10:38 AM »
Yeah dude, I'm down. I need a less flat/old/soggy deck next time for sure. I should've bought one day one and not thought about it too much.

I went back to the slappy curb to give it a try and ate shit immediately. As I was somersaulting down the hill an old lady on an electric scooter almost ran me over. The homeless folks hanging out on the wall seemed to enjoy the scene. That thing is way harder to skate than it looks. The shape is super weird, like it's hard to lock in correctly (grinds and slides alike) and the ground is weirdly rough and slow and the downhill-ness of the spot makes the whole thing feel slightly odd.

I went to skate those manny pads and red bumps at Perrache a couple times this week which was pretty fun.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2022, 06:36:00 AM »
The bank besides the stairs is cool but like I said you need a spotter or you could easily lose your set-up. Had I known I could have just gave you a deck outta my stack ! Was still cool to cruise around the city. That mexican was great!

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2022, 03:41:00 PM »
Hey Silhouette, just checking in to see if any plans have changed and you might be in Paris next Tues/Wednesday for some skating.

or anyone else that might be around Paris the 10th-13th .

also can someone remind me the name of this spot?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS_dsgfD97Y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2022, 02:43:50 AM »
@Lukabrazi that's https://www.instagram.com/la_plaza_creteil/

My life right now is a bit of a wild ride and there isn't much I can predict, but I did note your dates. Honestly uncertain I'll be able to make it, but it's also been a while since I last skated in Paris and it's something I do miss so saying screw everything and going is tempting, but I'm not even sure if I'll be available till last minute. If I have positive news then I'll keep you updated, though, and I'm sure you will run into local crews regardless, the Paris scene itself is inherently active, diverse, interesting and vibrant (an aspect that most commercial tour/trip edits do not necessarily show).

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2022, 12:11:56 PM »
@Lukabrazi that's https://www.instagram.com/la_plaza_creteil/

My life right now is a bit of a wild ride and there isn't much I can predict, but I did note your dates. Honestly uncertain I'll be able to make it, but it's also been a while since I last skated in Paris and it's something I do miss so saying screw everything and going is tempting, but I'm not even sure if I'll be available till last minute. If I have positive news then I'll keep you updated, though, and I'm sure you will run into local crews regardless, the Paris scene itself is inherently active, diverse, interesting and vibrant (an aspect that most commercial tour/trip edits do not necessarily show).

I hear you Sil! Unfortunately its looking like its trending towards rainy weather my days that I'm going to be there (30-40% chances of rain) I really hope that doesn't come to fruition . but it is october . If you are able to make it over there would be great to meet ya , but I definitely understand life's demands keeping you in your town . Merci for the info on that spot!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2023, 03:33:16 AM »
Anyone heading to Lyon this Saturday, there is a Real demo at HDV. Just decided to go, the weather should be perfect..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwX8UUSLbUj/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==