Author Topic: Older 917 deck concave/shape?  (Read 710 times)

usehername720

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Older 917 deck concave/shape?
« on: July 05, 2021, 11:55:42 PM »
I’ve been trying to buy and skate some older 917 decks and I’m pretty sure they were under PS Stix a while back and they are under BBs now

Do you guys know when 917 made the switch to BBs? I skated the Cyrus Bennett skully deck from last year’s drop in October and it was a BBs board but that’s the oldest deck I’ve skated from them. Do you guys also happen to know if their boards under PS Stix were similar to the shape FA/Hockey has now? I know most board companies under the same wood shop have a similar shape/concave to each other but I just wanted to make sure with the older 917 decks

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Older 917 deck concave/shape?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 12:57:44 PM »
I’ve been trying to buy and skate some older 917 decks and I’m pretty sure they were under PS Stix a while back and they are under BBs now

Do you guys know when 917 made the switch to BBs? I skated the Cyrus Bennett skully deck from last year’s drop in October and it was a BBs board but that’s the oldest deck I’ve skated from them. Do you guys also happen to know if their boards under PS Stix were similar to the shape FA/Hockey has now? I know most board companies under the same wood shop have a similar shape/concave to each other but I just wanted to make sure with the older 917 decks

One of the best boards I’ve ever had was a Bianca board, ps, so good. I feel like the two shops, bbs and ps, are fairly different. I cannot skate the fa bbs boards, the ps ones were cool tho.
Take with a grain of salt: I’m all ps, and only like certain bbs boards, with specific dimensions and mellow (like baker stuff).
I know this isn’t exactly on point with what you were asking.

usehername720

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One of the best boards I’ve ever had was a Bianca board, ps, so good. I feel like the two shops, bbs and ps, are fairly different. I cannot skate the fa bbs boards, the ps ones were cool tho.
Take with a grain of salt: I’m all ps, and only like certain bbs boards, with specific dimensions and mellow (like baker stuff).

Thanks for your input, it did provide some help.  :)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 06:09:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve been trying to buy and skate some older 917 decks and I’m pretty sure they were under PS Stix a while back and they are under BBS now

Do you guys know when 917 made the switch to BBS? I skated the Cyrus Bennett skully deck from last year’s drop in October and it was a BBS board but that’s the oldest deck I’ve skated from them. Do you guys also happen to know if their boards under PS Stix were similar to the shape FA/Hockey has now? I know most board companies under the same wood shop have a similar shape/concave to each other but I just wanted to make sure with the older 917 decks
[close]

[close]

Thanks for your input, it did provide some help.  :)

There are lots of people who are more a fan of one than the other out of PS Stix and BBS, as they are quite different (as said) but even between different molds from the same woodshop, you can have a better feeling board for one and not the other.

I could be wrong but it was the time of the pandemic and closures that a lot of brands just couldn't get their normal stuff from PS Stix, so many went to BBS first, or if they couldn't get that they went to Clutch as an alternative too.

At least you can check with other brands under the woodshop lists here, as well as add info, questions, etc too:

CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.0

Info as per brand list and when they were on which woodshop

917* -2020   ……….   ……….   PS Stix
917* 2021   ……….   ……….   BBS

Fucking Awesome* 2020+   ……….   ……….   BBS
Fucking Awesome* til 2020   ……….   ……….   PS Stix

Re shapes, my understanding was they were fairly similar, but not the same, both having a shorter wheelbase than average, FA more so than 917, with some weird sizes in the 917 range too, but that could have also been incorrect listings by shops.

Was your deck 8.12 or 8.18 x 31.8 with 14.1 - 14.2 wheelbase?

I see a few around, but those were the dimensions listed the most.

https://www.noteshop.co.uk/collections/brands-call-me-917/products/call-me-917-cyrus-bennett-skully-deck-8-18

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/call-me-917-liquify-green-8-18-skateboard-deck

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 08:45:53 AM »
I skated the basketball deck years ago, it was a pink top PS with the serial # and everything. it was a very basic, mellow shape, thinner feeling board, slight taper on the nose and tail. the one FA i rode secondhand a few years ago was almost the opposite, steeper concave and steeper kicks, and squared off.