Author Topic: Rewatching True Detective: Season 2 - A Reappraisal?  (Read 1604 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: Rewatching True Detective: Season 2 - A Reappraisal?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2021, 06:37:02 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot that he was an author as well

okay i'll smoke a small bowl and listen to Rust wax poetic and then try to remember to respond to a post in this thread
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz3PhWFhA3I
 :P
I mean, I don't think you're supposed to think Rust is like a super cool dude.
He's a kinda pathetic loner, who submerges himself in nihilism to cope with the death of his daughter.

If you could recast S2, who would you replace Vince Vaughn with?
I was thinking Michael Shannon could work well in the role, he's always able to be convincingly unsettling & intense.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2021, 08:44:21 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot that he was an author as well

I mean, I don't think you're supposed to think Rust is like a super cool dude.
He's a kinda pathetic loner, who submerges himself in nihilism to cope with the death of his daughter.

If you could recast S2, who would you replace Vince Vaughn with?
I was thinking Michael Shannon could work well in the role, he's always able to be convincingly unsettling & intense.

Rust is cool because he's played by hot ass Matthew McConaughey.

Michael Shannon in that role is a great choice. Michael Shannon is an actor I'm surprised hasn't been in any of Pizza's projects. Waco, the show about David Koresh and the Waco siege that came out a few years ago was cast almost exclusively with TD alumni, with Shea Whigham, Taylor Kitsch, the guy who plays Errol from S1.

I'm trying to think who else would be a good substitute for VV. Gerard Butler as his nasty Den of Thieves sheriff or Pablo Schreiber could have pulled it off for sure.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:48:11 PM by DaleSr »

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
I watched season 2 twice, tried to love it both times.  Alas I still don't like it at all.  Some of the comments on this thread are helping me to appreciate it more, but it's still a big disappointment at this point.  I thought season 1 was one of the best things to air on tv.  Season 3 was also not great, only watched it once.  I will watch season 4 whenever it comes out.  Mindhunter kind of scratched my True Detective itch, the way Ozark kind of scratched my Breaking Bad itch.  Good luck with the rewatch.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2021, 02:24:42 PM »
This was my favorite Rust anecdote…one of the most memorable moments. And the one take shot during the drug raid…

https://youtu.be/_zM6zyPBMYk
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 08:24:33 AM »
I tried really hard to like season 2 when it aired, but I don't have the patience to go try and like it all over again.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »
I finally watched all of season two again and i was right about it being totally epstein brained. Lots of real deep dark California knowledge

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2021, 02:20:17 PM »
I just finished watching Yellowstone and it got me to thinking that Taylor Sheridan might do a good job with a season of True Detective.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2021, 02:30:49 PM »
I just finished watching Yellowstone and it got me to thinking that Taylor Sheridan might do a good job with a season of True Detective.
Love Yellowstone, can't wait for the the new season on November 7th ! I want to live in Montana now lol. Mentioned this awhile ago, - Taylor Sheridan wrote/directed Sicario, Hell or High Water, & Wind River.  Big fan

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2021, 04:33:01 PM »
Bezzerides is the perfect character tbh. Molested, cult leader dad, knife fixation. I didn't know rachel mcadams could do all that
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5