Author Topic: a question for geezers  (Read 4743 times)

biggums mcgee

Re: a question for geezers
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »
i'm sorry, I meant mount Dora, florida.

sick town btw

biggums mcgee

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2007, 04:06:55 PM »
sounds good but would be more of exactly the kind of living that I am trying to get away from. with kids you got to either live in a good school district, send your kids to private schools or raise illerterate convicts (*). good school districts in Houston and DC would most likely mean long commute or living in a box.

does your wife work? homeschooling is great way to raise kids..

Blue Fescue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2007, 04:10:43 PM »
we were talking about the carolina's, what's some of the good cities there?

NC is nice.  i have spent much of my life in either the mountains or at the coast.  boone and wilmington.  in the mountains asheville is really nice.  and wilmington is nice at the beach.  asheville has a park and some fun street skating while wilmington has a couple of parks and good street if you look for it plus surfing on occasion.  Charlotte or the research triangle is probably best for computer industry jobs.  you could check out Chapel Hill which is good.

personally i wouldn't want to live in raleigh/durham or charlotte really but that is just me but asheville/chapel hill/wilmington, in geographic order from the mountains to the piedmont to the coast, are all nice.

edicwhun

• Rep: -1
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
It's pretty much stop and go madness, 495 and 395 around here just cant handle the volume but there are also other options (bus, metro). The restaraunts where I live are a mix of both, my girlfriend says they suck (she's a "foodie"), but note that she likes to go out to expensive dinners (she made me go to Morimotos last time we were in Philly, that was about a $600 bill for the both of us). There's the typical Olive Garden, some random Mexican places, TGIF, but there's also some random "hole in the wall" places that are good...then when you get to the city the options are limitless, very cultural. Not to mention world renowned chefs.

Grim is right though, it gets pretty damn humid here in the Summer. There definitely are very distinguished seasons here. When it's Winter you'll know it's Winter and Summer is the same.
Death still aint took me yet, but I'm flirtin' with her and I think I got her pussy wet...

sebastian toombs

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2007, 04:42:53 PM »
$600 bill for the both of us

jesus...   i get all stinky with my girl if the bill cracks $30.

edicwhun

• Rep: -1
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2007, 04:57:52 PM »
haha, well she offered to pay for it because she just "had" to go to this restaraunt...he IS an "iron chef" after all!  ::)

so I got lucky.
Death still aint took me yet, but I'm flirtin' with her and I think I got her pussy wet...

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
  • tiger style
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »
me and my wife would definitely be the type to go to an iron chef's restaraunt, haha. we have our favorite restaraunt broken down by type of food, atmosphere and time of day. On a week night best indian food is at blah...

sounds real similar to the situation I am trying to get away from. I don't want the hour and a half to two hours a day in stressful ass traffic. I skate one and a half to two hours a day and that would without a doubt be what would have to go and me and my wife like living close to town. there has to be a town out there were you can live close to work and still have a nice house in a good school zone with two working professonals. I mean fuck, if can't do that with 2 working professional then who the fuck is living in the decent places close in? I guess just doctors and lawyers, those pricks...

Mackattack

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2007, 06:00:41 PM »
if you want to stay in texas you can think about living in saginaw, its on the border of fort worth. we just got a wal-mart here not too long ago, and more stuff is popping up here.

the Dallas/ Fort worth area is pretty decent
good places to raise kids in the suburban towns
good skate scene for yourself
i live in Allen which is kind of lame but we have a pretty sick concrete park

mbcls

• Rep: -3
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »
dude, you want to move to chapell hill, nc. shits perfect

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2007, 07:35:53 PM »
move to mills, its pretty much its own town

"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »
you know, if youd consider canada, you might want to look at calgary and edmonton...  alberta's economy is going totally wild what with oil prices being so high.   dont know whether that translates into a need for IT people, but it might very well.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • breathmint please
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2007, 07:46:41 PM »
calgary is the dud city and edmonton is the working class one. you should see how much high rise condos are going up in calgary, i have to take the working class chariot to school everyday and i seriosly see a new construction project each day. the winters here are alot more bareable then montreal or toronto's too cause we get chinooks plus we got mills. i dont know about edmonton though, just that its the tight pants capital of the world
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2007, 04:00:07 AM »

what is mills?

tonycoxhox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
    • journal blog. avatar image
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2007, 04:09:59 AM »
go to Winnipeg. You'll have a blast.
"we were going digital, ignoring all but the most core matter from history and focusing on the most complicated structures in order to make our lives more simple, but we could not escape from the cage, the past, and "reality" so we surrendered to short term drug euphoria." - John Albertson (on LSD)

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2007, 04:26:04 AM »
sleazy, if you are looking to breed in these cities, what is your philosophy about the breeding environment?  a lot of guys i worked with in vancouver all would move out to the distant suburbs once they had kids, saying "i dont want my kids growing up in the city because its unsafe, crime, drugs, etc."   all of which is true in some ways, but the fact is that the highest cause of death for teenage children is in a drinking-and-driving accident on the way between downtown and suburb X.   id put this to them, and they just blow it off, which always made me think they actually were drawn to the suburban life and just used kids as an excuse...

Here's a little background about us real quick, because they have what I want in almost every city but you have to be of a certian socioeconomic status to afford that area and I would like to make a "big fish in a small pond" type of transition. I am hoping to find an city where my wife and my careers are enough to get us in the "good" area that is in town or real close. In Houston it would be memorial\tanglewild\village area of town but you have to be a CEO, Doctor, Lawyer, Entreprenuer to live there. I'd say that I am approaching the upper end of the non-management salary range for tech, I probably have maybe another 40k max I could go without going into management. My wife is in marketing and she actually seems like she just got on the "fast track". I'm pulling for her, hopefully she will pass me the fuck up on the career path because I got no stomach for management. Anyway, the point being that I would anticapte by the time we move that our combined salary would be on the upside of middle class earnings. We would probably combined have a salary that would approach one upper managers salary. So I guess that means we would need to live in the same area of town where you would find a managing director level single income family.

I was hoping to find a place where living in town\close in was an option for a couple on our level. And what I mean by an option is that either the cost of buying a home is affordable enough that you can afford to live in town and pay for private schools or that they have a good school district in close to town we could afford. The whole drugs in the city thing seems regular to me. I'd be willing to bet there is just as much if not more in the burbs. Crime on the other hand is something that I am hoping to move away from. I don't need a crime free city but in Houston I have been shot at during a car jacking and my wife had a gun pulled on her at a dirve through and as I mentioned earlier we now have 33 murders a month.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2007, 04:38:42 AM »
Connecticut, Americas equivalent to Richard Angelides.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2007, 08:29:34 AM »
maybe you should check out Florida.  the beaches are great, lots of skate stuff throughout the state, and certain areas can be pretty progressive. 

What area's of florida are tight but not to expensive to live nicely?

sebastian toombs

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what is mills?

the millenium park...    so last century!

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • breathmint please
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2007, 08:38:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

what is mills?
[close]

the millenium park...    so last century!

yah right, they built a lurking stoop in the last year and now mad freestyles will go on till 2 in the mornin on any given day

sebastian toombs

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »
what are they doing in that picture?  water is the very last thing that place needs, what with its thoughtful anti-graffiti wax coating...   i cracked a rib slipping out on flat there, back in summer 2000 at like 4 in the morning...

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • breathmint please
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2007, 08:55:08 AM »
the anti graffiti shit was gone within a year, now theres tons of dicks and RODENTZ tags to be found

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2007, 01:59:10 PM »
St. John's, Newfoundland
Population of about 180,000
Houses will be cheap as all hell compared to wherever you are now

And to put into perspective this city, the top news story on the local news hour each night is usually a two car collision on the highway, or the local sports team won some lame tournament.

Oh, and with 3 murders in the last five or six years, you'll be safe

On another note, brand new concrete park with plenty of tranny.
http://www.spectrum-sk8.com/parks/nfl/stjohns.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:57:23 PM by Peter »

Claude

• Rep: 15
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2007, 02:24:19 PM »
Yea, Im sure newfoundland has a booming high tech industry...

Peter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »
hahahahaha true
we have fish though, sometimes

and hey, we also get to be known as the laughing stock of canada

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2007, 02:33:07 PM »
park looks tight

sebastian toombs

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2007, 02:47:35 PM »
'peter', i feel terribly rude asking this, but who were you on the last board?

theres always memorial university, they must need website guys...

Peter

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
It's okay sebastian, I was dead last on the last board

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1601
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2007, 06:24:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

anywhere in the entertainment book baby......

i'd move to the US before moving to Alberta....my two cents....and i don't get around much...portland...strikes me that alot of people who can't afford seattle are moving there....

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • breathmint please
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i'd move to the US before moving to Alberta....my two cents....and i don't get around much...portland...strikes me that alot of people who can't afford seattle are moving there....

dont like eating raw steer and truckin'?

sebastian toombs

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

are you localizing 'antons' up by willingdon yet?  that ones on my annual 'entertainment book exemption' list