Author Topic: Why Is It Called the Dolphin Flip? And who actually has a good one?  (Read 7764 times)

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Why Is It Called the Dolphin Flip? And who actually has a good one?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
No one ever talks about the one rick Howard does off a bump - over a bin , in questionable. That’s the first one I saw ..
It’s debatable. Nevertheless, here’s the clip @2:10
ableSkateMag.com

quaintly

• Rep: 12
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2021, 04:47:27 PM »
Expand Quote
No one ever talks about the one rick Howard does off a bump - over a bin , in questionable. That’s the first one I saw ..
[close]

That’s the one - thanks for that .
What’s the debate though ? I know it’s a little difficult to see , but what else could it be ?

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2021, 05:31:33 PM »
1) it’s not 2) no one

Re: 1) I. might be wrong about that
Re: 2) I don't think so

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2021, 06:06:45 PM »
what's his fucker, GVR boy had a great one

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
tyler hendley!! goddamn i'm good.

http://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/phv.aspx?I=14203

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164

valuecommonsense

• Rep: -69
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
I think technically they are just weird looking variel flips. People do bs flips and the board flips like that sometimes. I don't know.
Gotta disagree with this, visually they can look the same but a varial flip rotates because of the back foot doing a shove motion, ina forward flip it's the front foot that causes the rotation and flip. 

Also just how the board flips isn't it all that matters, people do 360 pressure flips that look 99% like a 360 flip, it doesn't mean it's a 360 flip.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2021, 06:37:14 PM »
It's debatable but Rick Howard may have done one a long time ago?

Low standards

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2021, 06:40:10 PM »
Cody mac did one in digital smoke and mirrors before he nolle bigspinned (?) Carlsbad. I believe mike mo did one in fully flared as well.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2021, 06:43:43 PM »
The first one I ever remember seeing was by Dan Heassler in the video "Tactical Manual". I think this was in 2001? I also think I recall that in the little booklet that came with the video they were calling it a "Heassler flip". Shortly after that, Free Your Mind was released and Darrell Stanton did one too.

2:12

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1437
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
Expand Quote
I think technically they are just weird looking variel flips. People do bs flips and the board flips like that sometimes. I don't know.
[close]
Gotta disagree with this, visually they can look the same but a varial flip rotates because of the back foot doing a shove motion, ina forward flip it's the front foot that causes the rotation and flip. 

Also just how the board flips isn't it all that matters, people do 360 pressure flips that look 99% like a 360 flip, it doesn't mean it's a 360 flip.

I learned how to do them when I was learning how to do 180/varial flips. The biggest, if not only difference in my experience, is actively pushing down with the front toe/foot rather than out to the side and down like a kick flip. While there is more pressure applied to the front foot in the initial popping, there's still a lot of pressure applied to the back foot. Instead of scooping like the 180flip, the back foot is pushing down and backwards. the harder you pop, the easier and higher it flips.
Support your local skate shop

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2021, 08:41:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I learned how to do them when I was learning how to do 180/varial flips. The biggest, if not only difference in my experience, is actively pushing down with the front toe/foot rather than out to the side and down like a kick flip. While there is more pressure applied to the front foot in the initial popping, there's still a lot of pressure applied to the back foot. Instead of scooping like the 180flip, the back foot is pushing down and backwards. the harder you pop, the easier and higher it flips.

Yeah exactly just do a kickflip off the corner of the nose and kick down and forward instead of out and Viola! Forward flipping maniac in full force.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Bitchardo Scantron

• Rep: -93
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2021, 10:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Do you remember which Darrell Stanton part?
[close]

Free Your Mind.

I don't think there's a good one. It's a pretty gross trick.

Wouldn’t say it ever looks great but Darrell is the only one I’ve given a pass to

matta

• Rep: 26
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2021, 10:28:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What’s the debate though ? I know it’s a little difficult to see , but what else could it be ?

Kickflip late shuvit

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 59
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2021, 10:36:06 PM »
The first one I ever remember seeing was by Dan Heassler in the video "Tactical Manual". I think this was in 2001? I also think I recall that in the little booklet that came with the video they were calling it a "Heassler flip". Shortly after that, Free Your Mind was released and Darrell Stanton did one too.

couldnt remember guys name but that’s the first one I remember seeing in a TWS sequence and that’s what they named it in the caption. I wanna say around 99 or 2000. I’ll try n dig it up...

ricky bobby

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2021, 10:36:51 PM »
Do I have to be the only person brave enough to say that Versace Plugs fakie dolphin flip in the Flytecc video was beast?

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2021, 10:38:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's a kickflip late shove, and there's no debate at all because it's not even close to a dolphin flip.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

valuecommonsense

• Rep: -69
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2021, 11:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think i do it different mine is just like a kickflip, i figured out if i do a really boned kickflip but wait till the very last second possible to flick after popping it will bones so much it does a forward flip and goes right to my back foot.

quaintly

• Rep: 12
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2021, 11:43:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's a kickflip late shove, and there's no debate at all because it's not even close to a dolphin flip.

Hahaha ! Might need to check your prescription , mate .

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2021, 11:47:02 PM »
I found it, questionable, around the 2 minute mark it has that motion but the angle is hard to see.  Any body else convinced this is one of the first?  It would make sense in that Rick / Colin seemed to have liked unusual names for tricks

http://www.knowskateboarding.com/ehZBdh-1rzQ

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2021, 11:52:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
couldnt remember guys name but that’s the first one I remember seeing in a TWS sequence and that’s what they named it in the caption. I wanna say around 99 or 2000. I’ll try n dig it up...

This is exactly what I remember too. Late 90's sounds right, pre effective internet era. I think he was also a San Diego dude. I feel like this was a San Diego trick at first when it started gaining its short lived momentum. In the wake of illusion flips. And it was definitely forward flip at first, dolphin flip came later. At least to the wider audience. I'm sure there were local name variations all around, like there is with every other trick too.

Edit: now that I watched that clip, that Dan Hassler clip was the TWS sequence I was thinking.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2021, 11:56:20 PM »
DOUBLE DOLPHIN
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2021, 01:49:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Definitely a kickflip late shove-it, the back foot is what kicks the board around on the catch. But I can see why you're confused as the angle conceals a fair bit of the skater's movement, and also the board drifts off axis as soon as the pop (that also almost looks like it happens due to the board touching the barrel). But most of the shove-it still happens post catch. Kickflip late shoves were a particularly hot trick around that time period and a lot of people were doing it by just tripping on their board mid kickflip like this, not everyone had Mike Carroll's. On the other end, the only trick close to forward flips that I remember people doing in videos from that era is that varial underflip trick Ronnie Creager, Julio de la Cruz or later Yoshi Obayashi were doing.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2021, 04:11:44 AM »
I think it was called a forward flip first

What I always called em

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2021, 04:28:25 AM »
dolphin flips gotta be one of the worst names ever. ive heard people say things like daydream and nightmare flip unironically too smh

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2021, 04:50:47 AM »
Rick Howard wouldn't be caught dead doing a dolphin flip.   

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2021, 05:10:42 AM »
Always knew it as a forward flip and no body really had them good

Cody Mac did one in a line when his clothes were still baggy and that's the best one I can think of

I've seen Chris Chann and Versace Plug do good ones recently, but as a whole I think the trick is lame

Beat me to it.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2021, 08:01:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No… I just screen recorded it and watched it frame by frame. 100% a kickflip late bs shove it. It doesn’t look like a dolphin flip even when played in normal speed, so maybe you should get your prescription checked, Dazza.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

Jeff Bezos The Antichrist

• Rep: 29
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2021, 08:13:04 AM »
Do I have to be the only person brave enough to say that Versace Plugs fakie dolphin flip in the Flytecc video was beast?

He also does a regular one over a hubba that actually looks really cool.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2021, 08:37:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thats a kickflip late shove for sure.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"