Author Topic: best way to export 3CCD Footage with Final Cut?  (Read 484 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
best way to export 3CCD Footage with Final Cut?
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:39:53 AM »
Hi Slap

I am working on a skate video using Canon GL1 3CCD Camera and I am editing using Final Cut Express. I found exporting to .mov seems to be the best option for quality. When I bring it to youtube, it converts it to mp4 though and it loses quite a bit of quality. I tried exporting to MP4 from Final Cut Express but it always looks like shit.

1. Is .mov the best way for me to rip from Final Cut full quality?
2. Is there any benefit to running final cut PRO vs. Express vs. imovie for export optoins?
3. Is Vimeo better than Youtube for .mov? Seems like youtube sucks at converting it
4. Is there anything I can do to optimize this type of footage for exporting to youtube?

Thanks
ONTARIO CANADA

nickpaolucci

Re: best way to export 3CCD Footage with Final Cut?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 11:22:29 AM »
Hi Slap

I am working on a skate video using Canon GL1 3CCD Camera and I am editing using Final Cut Express. I found exporting to .mov seems to be the best option for quality. When I bring it to youtube, it converts it to mp4 though and it loses quite a bit of quality. I tried exporting to MP4 from Final Cut Express but it always looks like shit.

1. Is .mov the best way for me to rip from Final Cut full quality?
2. Is there any benefit to running final cut PRO vs. Express vs. imovie for export optoins?
3. Is Vimeo better than Youtube for .mov? Seems like youtube sucks at converting it
4. Is there anything I can do to optimize this type of footage for exporting to youtube?

Thanks

for YT you'll want to export as mp4 using the h.264 codec. when you're done editing in the SD timeline, you can create a HD timeline and drag the clips over to the new timeline to uprez. here's a video from Chris T. describing the process in premiere, but the concept works w/ finalcut as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMkupR4CrU