Author Topic: Eurobros, what framerate do you film?  (Read 817 times)

s0lkatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Eurobros, what framerate do you film?
« on: August 15, 2021, 11:19:13 PM »
I've been trying to get more serious about my filming, however I can't really decide what framerate to shoot in.

Since I'm euro, PAL makes sense, however I feel like 25p is a bit jittery, very close to 24p but I hate the look of 50p (or any high framerate video for that matter), since it just makes stuff look so slow. I'm using a 180° shutter angle (1/50 for 25p) for that creamy motion blur.

So really my question is, what framerate do you shoot, and what framerate is historically most used in europe? I like the look of 30p but that introduces some other problems with banding and such.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
Re: Eurobros, what framerate do you film?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 05:54:50 AM »
Well most people shoot 50p for the ability to slowmo clips, but you can shoot 50p and export at 25p if you want less of the reality TV show look like most people have been doing for years

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 05:08:46 PM »
I'm in europe and shoot 60p because most of the brands want that.
When i'm confronted with blinking lights due to my framerate, i lower the shutter speed.

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 01:32:33 AM »
Most NA skate videos are uploaded at 30p. Some are 60p, but this looks like dog shit in my opinion (some people like it though). 25p works too, and can even look nice (ex. Polar vid: I like it here inside my mind; looks good imo). Another ex: Polar Vid - We blew it at some point is 30p. An example of a 24p skate video would be a lot of the New Balance Numeric ones, but those might even be filmed at 30/60p and edited on 24p timeline, dropping frames and adding choppiness. Find out what you like, shoot a video in that format and never think about it again, because no one will honestly give a fuck. I think shooting 90+ degree shutter is ideal for skating (1/120 on 30p, 1/100 - 120 on 25p, 1/96 on 24p, etc).

Most used frame rate in EU skate videos is probably 50p, on a 1/100 - 1/120 shutter, exported as 25p. I shot an entire skate video in 24p (example below, most clips were legit 24p on 90d degree shutter, 24p 1/60 shutter in HPX zoom clips) but am shooting the next video on 60p exported to 30p because it's slightly cleaner to look at and I still have the option for slow-mo + regular speed.

24p:

Me personally - 24p, 25p, 30p = all good with appropriate shutter.

You can do whatever you want, but some at least one random SLAP user will respect you more if you don't export 50 - 60p. So c'mon bruh
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:29:17 AM by Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind »

s0lkatt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 06:41:22 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys, you've given me a lot to think about.  ;D
Going to have to give the 90° shutter angle a try, currently filming on a sony a7iii (I'm mainly a photographer) so I try to avoid 4k30p since it has a crop, and 25p does not. The 1080p quality is pretty meh compared to the downscaled 4k so I try to avoid it. however it might be good enough for skating if I feel like trying higher framerates.

I also hate the way 50/60p looks exported at that framerate, and I'm not a big fan of slow-mo, at least not with the kind of tricks I'm filming so I currently dont see the need for higher framerates. 50p exported at 25p would look pretty identical to 25p, yes?

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 07:00:58 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys, you've given me a lot to think about.  ;D
Going to have to give the 90° shutter angle a try, currently filming on a sony a7iii (I'm mainly a photographer) so I try to avoid 4k30p since it has a crop, and 25p does not. The 1080p quality is pretty meh compared to the downscaled 4k so I try to avoid it. however it might be good enough for skating if I feel like trying higher framerates.

I also hate the way 50/60p looks exported at that framerate, and I'm not a big fan of slow-mo, at least not with the kind of tricks I'm filming so I currently dont see the need for higher framerates. 50p exported at 25p would look pretty identical to 25p, yes?

4k 24p/25p it is it sounds like!