Author Topic: Canon GL1: tips?  (Read 804 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
Canon GL1: tips?
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a GL1, found a slick deal on one and i was wondering if anyone else has experience with them or would recommend them over the more expensive and exclusive VX.

shredslap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Canon GL1: tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 12:14:00 AM »
haha, i remember the gl1 being the worst cam.... skateperception days...... but honestly it could be rad. the audio isn't the best... but it definitely has a cool look.

honestly, you can find a vx1000 for pretty cheap these days... like under 500
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 02:10:15 AM by shredslap »

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 07:25:29 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a GL1, found a slick deal on one and i was wondering if anyone else has experience with them or would recommend them over the more expensive and exclusive VX.

I'd suggest a strong on camera light, setting your audio manually, maybe even buy a Rode Stereo Mic or something!

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 08:32:18 AM »
haha, i remember the gl1 being the worst cam.... skateperception days...... but honestly it could be rad. the audio isn't the best... but it definitely has a cool look.

The one i found comes with a case, extra batteries, still works and is 150

Expand Quote
[close]

I'd suggest a strong on camera light, setting your audio manually, maybe even buy a Rode Stereo Mic or something!

I'm mostly planning on doing some goofy fat bill style filming with it. Do you think that would work for that?

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The one i found comes with a case, extra batteries, still works and is 150

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm mostly planning on doing some goofy fat bill style filming with it. Do you think that would work for that?

canon gl1 is a cool camera i guess but i've never really been a fan. if you can find one for 150 i would say fuck it why not but at the same time if i was making edits all the time i would not want to fill my youtube with a bunch of gl1 footage.

also if youre going for goofy fat bill style filming i would say just go get some type of hd camera

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 06:00:12 PM »
The GL1 was the camera you prayed people submitting to your video project did not film with, haha. Horrible sound, bad colors. I highly discourage getting one. Not worth paying anything for one, honestly.

lydius

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Get a DVX100a or 100b from ebay if you want the VX look, for fat bill filming just go for a HVX200a or HPX170 if you wanna spend the money.
DVX all the way!! super under-rated camera.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:15:30 PM »
I had one growing up and also a VX. You can manually set the sound to get pretty similar and the colors were comparable although I thought the Canon was better in bright light. It wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be if you know what you're doing but a lot of people turn it on and press record.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 06:08:07 PM »
Would avoid the gl series... I know its cheap but you will be bummed when you drop a few hundred and that could have went to a vx

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 06:22:57 AM »
I had one growing up and also a VX. You can manually set the sound to get pretty similar and the colors were comparable although I thought the Canon was better in bright light. It wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be if you know what you're doing but a lot of people turn it on and press record.

agreed, sent op a DM but i'm not sure if it sent or not because nothings in my sent messages so ill paraphrase it here.

- never use any auto settings. canon's way of doing auto exposure is through a feature called "gain", so instead of it automatically adjusting the fstop/shutter to adjust exposure, it uses gain to send more power to the 3ccd sensor and artificially brighten the image, which introduces a fair bit of grain/noise to the image. i noticed the same kind of issue when using the sharpness option, so I turned that way down.

I'm still sorta getting to grips with all the fstop/shutter/exporting stuff, so maybe this isn't the best example of what you can do with a gl1 but here's a short trailer thing for a fuck around homie vid I'm working on. I inherited the camera from a homie who moved away, so anything with the wider fisheye is what i filmed using manual, and anything with the vig heavy fisheye is what he filmed using auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNR1DwVaCM

i believe @silhouette also mentioned to me these guys use a gl1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqoAzf4BhDk&t=331s

nickpaolucci

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 07:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

agreed, sent op a DM but i'm not sure if it sent or not because nothings in my sent messages so ill paraphrase it here.

- never use any auto settings. canon's way of doing auto exposure is through a feature called "gain", so instead of it automatically adjusting the fstop/shutter to adjust exposure, it uses gain to send more power to the 3ccd sensor and artificially brighten the image, which introduces a fair bit of grain/noise to the image. i noticed the same kind of issue when using the sharpness option, so I turned that way down.

I'm still sorta getting to grips with all the fstop/shutter/exporting stuff, so maybe this isn't the best example of what you can do with a gl1 but here's a short trailer thing for a fuck around homie vid I'm working on. I inherited the camera from a homie who moved away, so anything with the wider fisheye is what i filmed using manual, and anything with the vig heavy fisheye is what he filmed using auto.

second example is so sick. goes to show that what is traditionally considered a trash camera can look really good w/ the right person behind it. same thing w/ the 2000/2100 as well

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 07:25:25 AM »

This would be me because I'm a no nothing imbecile when it comes to cameras

Expand Quote
[close]

This is dope, maybe i just need to learn more about cameras and then I'll be ready

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 07:03:10 AM »
I am using the GL1 right now its just something I have had kicking around for a long time. I am almost wrapping up the project. I do not use the auto settings I find half the time it can't even focus properly. I think people are giving it a lot worse rep than it deserves its really not that bad at all especially if you really know how to use it. I never noticed the sound to be particularly terrible either. I can see why people dont like it. I find the colours on it often feel muddy and blend all together at times if you have a lot of reds and browns.
ONTARIO CANADA