Author Topic: Tolya Titaev - Clarity  (Read 2112 times)

newspaperparty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: Tolya Titaev - Clarity
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:41:37 AM »
Nu, jebatj, blyat... Everything was great, except some shitty Supreme style filming.

Return2monke

• Rep: -28
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:55:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1lt8i4DOGA

Damn waaaayyyy to much fucking broll. Shit slows the whole pace down. Dude rips tho. Got an interesting bag of tricks

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 11:04:04 AM »
this finger flip out shit is kinda wack... its way less impressive to do something using your hands. that is the entire reason i tohught skateboarding was cool in the first plce was i saw people could do ollies and flip tricks not using any hands at all. i dont mind seeing lance mountain do a boneless now and again if its tasteless but you arent convincing me that is harder than purely using your feet. it is better than juts doing nothing out though so i kinda get why ppl are doin it it just feels like we are adding combos into grinds just for the sake of difficulty like fullyflared
ONTARIO CANADA

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 11:55:28 AM »
this finger flip out shit is kinda wack... its way less impressive to do something using your hands. that is the entire reason i tohught skateboarding was cool in the first plce was i saw people could do ollies and flip tricks not using any hands at all. i dont mind seeing lance mountain do a boneless now and again if its tasteless but you arent convincing me that is harder than purely using your feet. it is better than juts doing nothing out though so i kinda get why ppl are doin it it just feels like we are adding combos into grinds just for the sake of difficulty like fullyflared

I'm with you, I'm not really for fingerflip stuff, or tricks involving putting your foot on the ground like no-complies or bonelesses. Sure they are great on certain occasions like if Lance Mountain or GT do a boneless, but it just depends. Most of the time I consider any of those things gimmicky and lame. That doesn't mean I've never done them though...

As far as this part, it was a little on the line for me. Not sure how I felt about it. I liked plenty of his other clips though. I'm liking most of the Rassvet guys' skating and particularly stoked that Patrick Franklin is skating for them now even though he's got some interesting fingerflip things himself from time to time haha

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
It's so sick this guy has created a self sustaining ecosystem for skating in Moscow (Board company, shop, awareness), seeing footage from there is fresh and rad.

Not a big fan of Live songs in edits but i'll make an exception for the great Nick Cave.

Strange footwear choices for someone influenced by style greats Nick Cave and Dylan Rieder. Free shoes and some pay is nowhere near enough for me to consider wearing some of (what are)THOSE.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 51
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »
I enjoyed this. Even though I have seen better spot selections in clips from Moscow (it looked to much like China clips which I don't like) and it is true with the fingerflips combos that you guys write, but you can see he is a great skater with power and speed in many tricks. I have always been intrigued and fascinated by the Soviet Union and Moscow. I think the skaters from there must be pretty hardcore and used to harassment from the public. An anti culture to any thing in their society. It's my assumptions, since I haven't been there yet. Growing up in mid nineties in my early teens we got chased and beaten up by groups of older guys because we skated. I can imagine a similar situation out East. Best wishes from Copenhagen, Denmark. 

Stoked on the Moscow scene!

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:01:42 AM »
very beautiful.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 02:10:09 AM »
This guy is killing it! From running Rassvet, to Oktyabr skateshop and still skating at this level is super impressive! Dude’s doing wonders for the Russian skate scene, I’m a fan.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 02:10:28 AM »
I enjoyed this. Even though I have seen better spot selections in clips from Moscow (it looked to much like China clips which I don't like) and it is true with the fingerflips combos that you guys write, but you can see he is a great skater with power and speed in many tricks. I have always been intrigued and fascinated by the Soviet Union and Moscow. I think the skaters from there must be pretty hardcore and used to harassment from the public. An anti culture to any thing in their society. It's my assumptions, since I haven't been there yet. Growing up in mid nineties in my early teens we got chased and beaten up by groups of older guys because we skated. I can imagine a similar situation out East. Best wishes from Copenhagen, Denmark. 

I actually read a interview where he says the exact opposite. People don’t really know about skateboarding in Russia, so they don’t harass them that much and the cops usually don’t give a shit either.

Here’s the link: http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/07/16/future-skateboarding-russia-tolya-titaev/

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 02:23:21 AM »
Beautiful part, great style, spots and song. What more could you want.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 06:13:17 AM »
The best. Been buying lot of Rassvet this past year.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 06:39:53 AM »
Style, speed, and power. Song choice was chef kiss and Moscow looks amazing on film. A+

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 51
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I actually read a interview where he says the exact opposite. People don’t really know about skateboarding in Russia, so they don’t harass them that much and the cops usually don’t give a shit either.

Here’s the link: http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/07/16/future-skateboarding-russia-tolya-titaev/

Good feedback. As I write it was my assumption and it's apparently wrong. I do have friends who has travelled to Russia that have experienced harassment from aggressive Russian Chad guys. That's why I thought it could be tuff to be a skateboarder over there.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »
Like this. As a huge Nick Cave fan, loved the song choice.

Do we have anyone from Russia on the boards? Bit curios on the development of the russian scene. Back in 2002-2004ish i did a demo at the newly opened Skatepark of Moscow with Kenny Hughes, Louie Barletta, Colt Cannon, Chad Fernandez and a bunch of others. Always wondered if it came out any skaters out of that park, and why it eventually closed..

Go a few photos published from that demo, kickflip from Monster

theknifesong

• Rep: 19
  • wow!balls!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 04:54:23 PM »

Do we have anyone from Russia on the boards? Bit curios on the development of the russian scene. Back in 2002-2004ish i did a demo at the newly opened Skatepark of Moscow with Kenny Hughes, Louie Barletta, Colt Cannon, Chad Fernandez and a bunch of others. Always wondered if it came out any skaters out of that park, and why it eventually closed..

I was there! Such a sick demo. This event and the park itself kickstarted the industry and a whole new wave of russian skateboarders. There were a series of clips from that park that showcase some of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCAvqad0qk

The park, "Adreanalin" was connected to one of the first skateshops in the country and skate distributor with the same name. It has its peak in 2007 but got hit heavily by global financial crisis in 2008, shops were closed, distributor collapsed. Park was in the limbo for next few years and ultimately went down in 2012. This park was one of the best things that happened to Russian skateboarding, it influenced a lot of people and gave a place to skate to thousands of skaters like myself through the cold winters.

Cheers.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 02:32:03 AM »
For a part with such weight added through music and editing, the trick selection seemed a bit inconsistent, if not arbitrary. Was really impressed by some of the footage, however, and it's good to see him represent skating in Moscow.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 03:03:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was there! Such a sick demo. This event and the park itself kickstarted the industry and a whole new wave of russian skateboarders. There were a series of clips from that park that showcase some of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCAvqad0qk

The park, "Adreanalin" was connected to one of the first skateshops in the country and skate distributor with the same name. It has its peak in 2007 but got hit heavily by global financial crisis in 2008, shops were closed, distributor collapsed. Park was in the limbo for next few years and ultimately went down in 2012. This park was one of the best things that happened to Russian skateboarding, it influenced a lot of people and gave a place to skate to thousands of skaters like myself through the cold winters.

Cheers.

That Drozd footage is my top 10 "parts" of all time. He's even better the following year, but this style is too gold.

Mr.Jenkins

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cheers.

Thanks man! Thats exactly what I was wondering about, so cool to see the local rippers. Such a good park - the miniramp was amazing. I still have a "skatepark of moscow" watch I got from the trip  :)

theknifesong

• Rep: 19
  • wow!balls!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 03:09:00 PM »
Thanks man! Thats exactly what I was wondering about, so cool to see the local rippers. Such a good park - the miniramp was amazing. I still have a "skatepark of moscow" watch I got from the trip  :)

Found the video: https://vimeo.com/41541878

Mr.Jenkins

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 04:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Found the video: https://vimeo.com/41541878

Damn! Lot of memories and friends in that clip. Im the dude skating the mini - last run at the end. I was really hoping to see some clips on me from the street, but that was really cool as well. Thank you! Almost 20 years ago - never seen any clips of me from that demo

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 06:45:58 PM »
Glad to see Tolya is doing so well. Also, stoked to see Pasha is doing well filming this part (pretty certain he filmed Gosha's Zima part a couple years back and he has done some cool skate doc/videos in the past).

The scene in Moscow is super fun. At least when it comes to anyone associated with Absurd or Nasvay/Dora. Seriously, amazing dudes.

However, from my experience I think Toyla oversells how open it is to skateboarding. But, why not? I think most people are overly afraid of Russia, so this creates a counter narrative.

I loved my time there and the local skate scene was beyond awesome. But lack of indoor parks sucked for sure when it was -22 outside.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?