Author Topic: Side Gigs/Hustles  (Read 3600 times)

masturskater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Side Gigs/Hustles
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2022, 04:58:00 PM »
Since I became a teacher I can do that (I'm done by 1pm tops) and I can also do some bits of civil engineering freelancing on the side.

It's so awesome and I've been able to skate for at least 2h any and every dry day.

I also earn more now that when I was a slave engineer for some bigoted tory cunt boss, doing 8+h a day of CAD and Microsoft Excel in a soulless environment.
I'm an engineer too (electrical). How/where do you get most of your freelance work?

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2022, 10:21:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Since I became a teacher I can do that (I'm done by 1pm tops) and I can also do some bits of civil engineering freelancing on the side.

It's so awesome and I've been able to skate for at least 2h any and every dry day.

I also earn more now that when I was a slave engineer for some bigoted tory cunt boss, doing 8+h a day of CAD and Microsoft Excel in a soulless environment.
[close]
I'm an engineer too (electrical). How/where do you get most of your freelance work?

How: Basically there’s very few people with my master (fluid mechanics) in my area that can do 2d flood modeling etc.

Where: by word of mouth (also through parents). I’d suggest you to ask very small offices / independent professionals / technical high schools where teachers often also freelance and they have stuff to give to you.

This works well for civils here (and for architects) but I dunno about electrical tbh! I think there’s less here.
Doesn’t hurt to try.
The thing is if you’re junior ISH like me you can’t really rely on this to pay bills so I think I found my happy medium by also teaching (I like it and it’s a steady income).

Edit: another huge advantage of civils in this is that I don’t only get work from other civils.
I can get work from environmentals, geologists, agronomists, architects, designers etc.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

masturskater

• Rep: 21
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2022, 03:02:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

How: Basically there’s very few people with my master (fluid mechanics) in my area that can do 2d flood modeling etc.

Where: by word of mouth (also through parents). I’d suggest you to ask very small offices / independent professionals / technical high schools where teachers often also freelance and they have stuff to give to you.

This works well for civils here (and for architects) but I dunno about electrical tbh! I think there’s less here.
Doesn’t hurt to try.
The thing is if you’re junior ISH like me you can’t really rely on this to pay bills so I think I found my happy medium by also teaching (I like it and it’s a steady income).

Edit: another huge advantage of civils in this is that I don’t only get work from other civils.
I can get work from environmentals, geologists, agronomists, architects, designers etc.
Thanks! I appreciate the detailed response.

Yeah, I work for a firm and mostly talk with other firms or clients that have projects that require full MEP services. So that work would usually get contracted through my firm.

Ideally, I'd like to take on small quick projects or drafting work to make a quick buck ok the side if available. Sounds like I just have to network my way into that kind of market. I looked through Upwork but it's kind of discouraging. Looks like people will do anything for as little as $5/hr.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2022, 03:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Doesn’t hurt to try.

[close]
Thanks! I appreciate the detailed response.

Yeah, I work for a firm and mostly talk with other firms or clients that have projects that require full MEP services. So that work would usually get contracted through my firm.

Ideally, I'd like to take on small quick projects or drafting work to make a quick buck ok the side if available. Sounds like I just have to network my way into that kind of market. I looked through Upwork but it's kind of discouraging. Looks like people will do anything for as little as $5/hr.

No worries mate I like helping others!

Yeah it also occurred to me to do project for a client as freelance where when it was time to get paid they were like I can’t afford this I’m giving you experience.
My reply was of course go fuck yourself bro and I moved to the next.

The thing is with civil projects I get like 1k each project but it’s not steady and you don’t get paid straight away so when it was my main source of income it was anxiety galore.
But now, maybe for the first time as a young adult, I’m kinda content.

Feel free to ask more / DM me.

All the best!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2022, 11:54:28 AM »
Anyone here have experience with inkjet iron on heat transfer prints?  Want to print full page colour photos I’ve taken, but I’m guessing they’re not washing machine-safe or durable enough for t-shirts I’d sell to other people.  But maybe there’s ways to make them last?  If not I’m also thinking about ironing them onto fabric/wood/hardboard/other materials to make framed prints.