Author Topic: Side Gigs/Hustles  (Read 3556 times)

Miller92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -282
Side Gigs/Hustles
« on: July 19, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »
Does anyone do anything cool/easy/chill for extra cash on the side?

I just got a pretty good career job but it pays shit so I'm trying to supplement my income with something extra.

Got any tips/tricks?

Where my hustlers at? Let's hear it

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
Re: Side Gigs/Hustles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 02:49:45 PM »
Pre-pandemic I would get 3-5 wedding DJ gigs a year for 1k each. That was the shit. Now I'm in the same boat as you.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:01:46 PM »
I've delivered pizza, chinese food, flowers, and people.

I've scrapped metal.

I was a carney for two months.

If you can take $25 dollars to a thrift store, you should be able to turn it into $100.

I've done yardwork for people off of Craigslist.

Garage sales.

Flea markets.

GO FIND THAT FUCKING MONEY.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 04:02:27 PM »
Or just sell drugs.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 04:12:46 PM »
I flip music gear and second hand clothes. If I wasn't dealing with a few injuries right now I'd mow lawns in my neigbourhood. The hustles are out there just don't eat in to your savings too hard to get another hustle started.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »
Just chiming in it’s incredibly fucked to work a full time job but still not make enough money to be able to have a comfortable life.

That being said I’ve done a lot of gigs off Craigslist and manual labor. Once a dude paid me $50 an hour to assemble ikea furniture naked but wearing a tool belt and work boots.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 04:18:14 PM »
In addition to my career, I’m also a university English tutor and I also proofread academic papers for a former manager of mine.

In addition to that, I sell stuff on eBay/Depop/anywhere else. I’m not a “reseller” - although I did just resell some Hawaii dunks I won in a raffle - it’s just mainly shoes and clothes that I’m not wearing any longer.

I also have an investment portfolio which is growing, but it’s slow growth. Not really a hustle or gig either haha.

For a little while, since I live in an apartment building, I was collecting beer cans from the recycling room and cashing them in. You can make easy pocket money that way - just wear gloves when you go dumpster diving.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 04:37:35 PM »
That being said I’ve done a lot of gigs off Craigslist and manual labor. Once a dude paid me $50 an hour to assemble ikea furniture naked but wearing a tool belt and work boots.

Good honest work.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 07:01:43 PM »
I've heard donating plasma makes decent coin. I haven't done that myself. Taking a good look at what you currently own and selling it is a great start. I find I spend less since it makes me aware of how much unnecessary stuff I have.

Being a research participant can get you money. I don't recommend online research studies because it seems like you could get scammed.

I feel like waiting tables at a nice restaurant or bartending could bring in some serious tips if you're good at it.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 07:16:14 PM »
Used to help with market and psychological research. Got paid $20 to drink 4 pints once.

Now I invest in various things.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »
Just chiming in it’s incredibly fucked to work a full time job but still not make enough money to be able to have a comfortable life.

I'm literally running 11 social media accounts for a medical company and have a degree with 5 years of marketing agency experience and I'm starting out at 33,000 at this job, which is less than I was making before getting laid off due to Covid...it's honestly robbery.  bums me out so much but hoping it's a long-term career investment down the line.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 07:28:17 PM »
Can vouch for selling plasma, that shit paid for my wedding. I still will run doordash for a few hours on the weekend if money is tight. In the states if you’ve got a college degree and have decent family medical history you can get a some coin for slinging yogurt.

Few other solid tips: steal from big box stores, either keep the shit or if the items don’t cost too much you can return them without a receipt and get cashed out. Also the option remains to sell what ever you steal for a deeply discounted price, helps make necessary items more accessible to those that might need it. But never steal from mom and pop shops, that’s fucked.

@Miller92 Wage slavery exists my dude, and I feel for you 100%. Know your worth and demand your worth. I know it’s a big leap of faith to change career fields, but a field that values it’s members so little and is inherently cannibalistic can demolish your self worth and grind your self esteem into dust. That’s at least what happened to me when I worked in start ups doing inside sales.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:38:01 PM by Freelancevagrant »
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »
Mock juries pay really well for a Saturday and Sunday of just sitting around listening to lawyers present arguments. I did this a couple times when I really needed money.

After I leave my full-time job, I do the same job online for another company on the other side of the continent for 3 hours. Not the best side hustle, but it helps a lot.

I'm tempted to start a side hustle buying and renting places out. I'd just need to convince myself that I'm helping people by listening to and believing Mikey Taylor's nonsense. I know people who do this and I'm watching their net worth sky rocket like crazy.  One of my least favorite cool guys moved into his third house as he is great at exploiting others and believing he's doing them favors.

Not stoked that having a full-time job doesn't adequately cover the bills, savings, and a reasonable amount of disposable income.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:28:55 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
Years ago I got this job off the internet it was for a market research company and I met this lady in a coffee shop and she gave me this envelope full of $5 notes and I had to go stand in the coffee aisle of the supermarket and ask people about coffee and write their responses in this pda

I did that for the first day then I had a fiddle with the pda and realised whatever I had the pda time set to was what my data would be logged as so I took the survey money for myself and just wrote my own responses from home

Try do something like that?
listen to cosmic psychos

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 08:17:45 PM »
Flip watches online, but that is basically a side hustle that simply pays for my watch addiction ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 08:49:22 PM »

jeeez

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 08:57:26 PM »
sometimes i run errands in the states like groceries or pick up mail at the usps for my fellow mexicans who can't cross or don't feel like crossing the border and i bring it right up their doorstep.
if it wasn't because i ride a motorcycle i wouldn't do it. there's a special bike lane to cross US and Mex customs real fast, which also helps to give friends a ride who need to get to the states and want to save the long ass, hours-long line (i don't charge but they still give me some cash)

since 2019 i've been giving private tutoring to my friend's coworker's daughter at her home for an hour or so, and another kid too, both grade schoolers. both are real nice kids.

this alaska clerical job i do for 6 weeks at a shoreplant has been going on every summer for some years for me.
edit* early this year i went on a fishing vessel for the first time ever for 4 months to catch crab and it was brutal. the bering sea ain't no joke. the pay was nice though. hardest i've worked for the biggest buck i've earned so far. idk if i'd do it again.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:04:27 PM by mex.ceferino »

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 11:09:41 PM »
sometimes i run errands in the states like groceries or pick up mail at the usps for my fellow mexicans who can't cross or don't feel like crossing the border and i bring it right up their doorstep.
if it wasn't because i ride a motorcycle i wouldn't do it. there's a special bike lane to cross US and Mex customs real fast, which also helps to give friends a ride who need to get to the states and want to save the long ass, hours-long line (i don't charge but they still give me some cash)

since 2019 i've been giving private tutoring to my friend's coworker's daughter at her home for an hour or so, and another kid too, both grade schoolers. both are real nice kids.

this alaska clerical job i do for 6 weeks at a shoreplant has been going on every summer for some years for me.
edit* early this year i went on a fishing vessel for the first time ever for 4 months to catch crab and it was brutal. the bering sea ain't no joke. the pay was nice though. hardest i've worked for the biggest buck i've earned so far. idk if i'd do it again.

Please tell us more about your job in Alaska because that sounds pretty epic.

I've worked as a part time mover and as long as you're young and in fairly good shape it's a manageable gig. You're most often paid in cash and can get pretty great tips as well as free furniture/clothing/belongings that you can keep or flip. There are some sketchy people in this line of work but if you're polite, agreeable, and have a decent work ethic people will want to hire and rehire you. With getting hired for any gig it's always easier if you know someone personally but you can also just reach out to companies listed online and try to get on one of their crews. I think close to the end or beginning of the month is a great time to look since that's when folks are needing lots of movers. If you introduce yourself to the employees at truck rental and storage spaces with a gift basket and a smile they also might be able to recommend you to customers if you have your own van. But definitely get yourself a pair of work gloves. That's important.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 11:25:29 PM »
I was also looking into online transcript work but could not focus to save my life

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 03:00:24 AM »
for a year i wrote seo content for 50 bucks a pop. easy online work but my boss was a cunt

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 04:40:25 AM »
I've been participating in studies online at Prolific but it has been kinda slow for people in Europe atm

You folks on US get a ton of studies so it would be worthy to check it out

I've seen people withdrawing +100$ per month so that's pretty good imo

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 04:43:34 AM »
for a year i wrote seo content for 50 bucks a pop. easy online work but my boss was a cunt

Companies in my country are only discovering this now so it would be a pretty good gig for me if I knew how to do it... I've been reading some stuff but I feel overwhelmed

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 08:54:56 AM »
theres 4 or more different types and theyre all pretty boring pick one and start applying yourself i guess its something anyone can learn for an easy gig. i got the jerb through distant family relations and the guys wife was vp of their thing always super condescending to me. had to go across town to get paid once bcause she forgot it prob on purpose then said something super out of line to me wont bother typing it. dumb story my bad
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:06:04 AM by Hinna »

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »

My friend if you can familiarize yourself just a little bit with certain technologies you can make a lot more than that per article. There is a shortage of people able to write convincingly about IT and high demand for marketing content in that space. None of the marketing people can write on it without sounding like idiots so there's a ton of outsourcing. $2-300 per article is on the lower end of rates for quality content.

I've seen guys with a rudimentary knowledge of network management billing $400 per article.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 10:18:12 AM »
I do a few things:

-UX testing and research. Generally pays $50-$100 an hour and I have a special talent for being horrible at all things technology so I've carved a niche as a young-ish person with old person habits.
-Woodworking. My other sport is rock climbing and I make boutique-ish hardwood holds for climbing walls. I am thinking about getting a laser engraver and a lathe so I can make custom basic chick wall plaques, pens, bowls, and other decorative shit to fund a CNC machine.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My friend if you can familiarize yourself just a little bit with certain technologies you can make a lot more than that per article. There is a shortage of people able to write convincingly about IT and high demand for marketing content in that space. None of the marketing people can write on it without sounding like idiots so there's a ton of outsourcing. $2-300 per article is on the lower end of rates for quality content.

I've seen guys with a rudimentary knowledge of network management billing $400 per article.
ouch but im not an expert at any of the menial stuff i was writing about and this was also like 10 years ago. they took everyone to some company dinner and i got pretty drunk before getting let go though. good luck to all the seo heads/peons out there new and old. how many words for 400 bucks. thats a good pay

I do a few things:

-UX testing and research. Generally pays $50-$100 an hour and I have a special talent for being horrible at all things technology so I've carved a niche as a young-ish person with old person habits.
-Woodworking. My other sport is rock climbing and I make boutique-ish hardwood holds for climbing walls. I am thinking about getting a laser engraver and a lathe so I can make custom basic chick wall plaques, pens, bowls, and other decorative shit to fund a CNC machine.
same i dont do online banking and shit

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 12:12:33 PM »
i used to do skateboard lessons for kids but it can be hard to get peeps
used to cut lawns
was gonna get a job at the beer store but decided my free time was more worth it
might actually look in to that again...
ONTARIO CANADA

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2021, 12:26:00 PM »
I just remembered what about medical trials, deadset am on this email list I just read em for a laugh but I almost did a sleep study last year when I was between jobs

Dunno if same in USA but some of these trials pay like 8 grand but you gotta go stay at the hospital for a month, the mailing list I am on is called trial facts if any aussies wanna do weird medical things for money
listen to cosmic psychos

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2021, 01:23:38 PM »
Can also vouch for plasma selling. Solid $200+ a month.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »
I just remembered what about medical trials, deadset am on this email list I just read em for a laugh but I almost did a sleep study last year when I was between jobs

Dunno if same in USA but some of these trials pay like 8 grand but you gotta go stay at the hospital for a month, the mailing list I am on is called trial facts if any aussies wanna do weird medical things for money
medical trials seem kind of gnarly. tame ones why not possibly but i would have to be stressing a lot before taking some pills or some shit thatll grow another ear

friend of mine who works psw just had to go on disability because his backs all legit fked. he calls it his payback vacation