Author Topic: Side Gigs/Hustles  (Read 3553 times)

Powdered Toast Man!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
Re: Side Gigs/Hustles
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 10:08:42 PM »
Expand Quote
sometimes i run errands in the states like groceries or pick up mail at the usps for my fellow mexicans who can't cross or don't feel like crossing the border and i bring it right up their doorstep.
if it wasn't because i ride a motorcycle i wouldn't do it. there's a special bike lane to cross US and Mex customs real fast, which also helps to give friends a ride who need to get to the states and want to save the long ass, hours-long line (i don't charge but they still give me some cash)

since 2019 i've been giving private tutoring to my friend's coworker's daughter at her home for an hour or so, and another kid too, both grade schoolers. both are real nice kids.

this alaska clerical job i do for 6 weeks at a shoreplant has been going on every summer for some years for me.
edit* early this year i went on a fishing vessel for the first time ever for 4 months to catch crab and it was brutal. the bering sea ain't no joke. the pay was nice though. hardest i've worked for the biggest buck i've earned so far. idk if i'd do it again.

[close]

Please tell us more about your job in Alaska because that sounds pretty epic.
sure, although it sounds cooler saying it than it really was (and me being a poor story teller doesn't help).
i've never seen deadliest catch but from what i gathered it's pretty much like the show minus the drama. as a matter of fact our boat was featured there when a dude from last year or so fell into the cookers and boiled the lower half of his body. a coast guard helicopter picked him up on a stretcher.

so a party of 26 strangers from serbia, russia, ukraine, sudan, mexico, puerto rico, 'muricans and i hopped on a jet from seattle to king cove, alaska this january. from there we sailed to the bountiful aka our 165ft long fishing vessel and home for the following 100 days. the quota was 1.3 million lbs. of crab. that day we hauled ass to the bering sea and i was horribly seasick for 3 hours nonstop. that sucked. the further we went the colder it got but you get used to it. especially with all the raingear and lifevest makes you sweat balls when you're working for 16 hours every single day. our face was always uncovered though so when the 38 degree water splashed on you it still kinda shocked the hell out of you even if it was already numb by the cold wind.

we catched, processed, boiled, boxed, and froze at least 25,000 pounds of crab everyday, 30k on a good day, or 250-320 cases. 16 hour shifts with breaks, restroom passes, and meals of course. but other than that it was all standing up the whole time doing manual labor and the boat was rocking all the time. the nastier the weather the more crab we catched which meant working faster.

the hardest part imo was breaking ice off the boat sometimes for 12 hours. the bering sea gets so cold and snows so much it puts tons of excess weight on the vessel so we have to go outside and break ice with icepicks and hammers and shovel or else we sink. last year 2 ships sunk and nobody made it.

the other hard part was unloading the crab to an island, 320 thousand lbs of cases put on pallets with our bare hands for 16 hours from the freezer as it snowed. us being in quarantine didn't favor us either, we couldn't get off the boat to the bar or relax, so as soon as we onloaded we sailed back and work a day or 2 later.

good thing we all got along fairly well. a few fist fights here and there but they always kiss and make up. none of the photos i took make justice how pretty the sea and skies looked. the purest air i've inhaled for sure. i lost my tan and it helped me cope with my separation and prepare for my eventual divorce. pretty cathartic times.
kinda fun fact: i asked feedback_ts if i should do my student teaching online or go catch crab on one of his stories before i went. he suggested the latter just for the life experience and cash. best advice. thanks ted!

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 11:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sometimes i run errands in the states like groceries or pick up mail at the usps for my fellow mexicans who can't cross or don't feel like crossing the border and i bring it right up their doorstep.
if it wasn't because i ride a motorcycle i wouldn't do it. there's a special bike lane to cross US and Mex customs real fast, which also helps to give friends a ride who need to get to the states and want to save the long ass, hours-long line (i don't charge but they still give me some cash)

since 2019 i've been giving private tutoring to my friend's coworker's daughter at her home for an hour or so, and another kid too, both grade schoolers. both are real nice kids.

this alaska clerical job i do for 6 weeks at a shoreplant has been going on every summer for some years for me.
edit* early this year i went on a fishing vessel for the first time ever for 4 months to catch crab and it was brutal. the bering sea ain't no joke. the pay was nice though. hardest i've worked for the biggest buck i've earned so far. idk if i'd do it again.

[close]

[close]
sure, although it sounds cooler saying it than it really was (and me being a poor story teller doesn't help).
i've never seen deadliest catch but from what i gathered it's pretty much like the show minus the drama. as a matter of fact our boat was featured there when a dude from last year or so fell into the cookers and boiled the lower half of his body. a coast guard helicopter picked him up on a stretcher.

so a party of 26 strangers from serbia, russia, ukraine, sudan, mexico, puerto rico, 'muricans and i hopped on a jet from seattle to king cove, alaska this january. from there we sailed to the bountiful aka our 165ft long fishing vessel and home for the following 100 days. the quota was 1.3 million lbs. of crab. that day we hauled ass to the bering sea and i was horribly seasick for 3 hours nonstop. that sucked. the further we went the colder it got but you get used to it. especially with all the raingear and lifevest makes you sweat balls when you're working for 16 hours every single day. our face was always uncovered though so when the 38 degree water splashed on you it still kinda shocked the hell out of you even if it was already numb by the cold wind.

we catched, processed, boiled, boxed, and froze at least 25,000 pounds of crab everyday, 30k on a good day, or 250-320 cases. 16 hour shifts with breaks, restroom passes, and meals of course. but other than that it was all standing up the whole time doing manual labor and the boat was rocking all the time. the nastier the weather the more crab we catched which meant working faster.

the hardest part imo was breaking ice off the boat sometimes for 12 hours. the bering sea gets so cold and snows so much it puts tons of excess weight on the vessel so we have to go outside and break ice with icepicks and hammers and shovel or else we sink. last year 2 ships sunk and nobody made it.

the other hard part was unloading the crab to an island, 320 thousand lbs of cases put on pallets with our bare hands for 16 hours from the freezer as it snowed. us being in quarantine didn't favor us either, we couldn't get off the boat to the bar or relax, so as soon as we onloaded we sailed back and work a day or 2 later.

good thing we all got along fairly well. a few fist fights here and there but they always kiss and make up. none of the photos i took make justice how pretty the sea and skies looked. the purest air i've inhaled for sure. i lost my tan and it helped me cope with my separation and prepare for my eventual divorce. pretty cathartic times.
kinda fun fact: i asked feedback_ts if i should do my student teaching online or go catch crab on one of his stories before i went. he suggested the latter just for the life experience and cash. best advice. thanks ted!

You salty sea dog I could read a million of your stories!  Please post more of these or create a separate thread if you have a bunch. 

What were the time obligations (months wise) and what is the general range expected for payoff if an individual decided to pursue fishing in this capacity?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 11:57:41 PM »
I wanna hear more about this too, I watch that show and I realise it’s reality tv but I suspect this is one of the most hectic jobs out there

You’d meet some crazy cats doing that stuff hey

Fuck yeah mate
listen to cosmic psychos

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2021, 12:22:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

@mex.ceferino   I loved this! If you ever decide to upload those photos please post a link here.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 06:18:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

@mex.ceferino   I loved this! If you ever decide to upload those photos please post a link here.

down for the photos as well, sick life experience, much respect

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2021, 08:56:07 AM »
I wanna hear more about this too, I watch that show and I realise it’s reality tv but I suspect this is one of the most hectic jobs out there

You’d meet some crazy cats doing that stuff hey

Fuck yeah mate

Same I’d love to hear more stories or anecdotes. I used to watch that show years ago, and while I know it’s reality tv I think it was pretty close to reality all things considered. When the producers powers to interfere are outweighed by nature it makes for decent viewing.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2021, 10:16:27 PM »
My lady had infinite side hustles when she was in grad school and during the first 3 years we were together. She figure modeled for art classes/artists at least 3x week, dog sat, plant sat, drove people to the airport, medical/psych studies. I don't know how she did it. Me, I've done all kinds of stuff to make money, but once I pay my bills and put a small amount aside, I'd rather not do more work for someone else than. I think my hustle is generally finding and learning about fixing whatever I want/need so I don't have to "earn" money to spend on it. I don't mind working, but I have an aversion to working for money outside my regular job. Rather just trade or help people out.

And at the Bering sea dude, y'all Bering sea fisherman are crazy. I spent a couple farm seasons working with a guy who had been on boats in the Bering sea and he was absolutely one of the gnarliest mf'er's I have ever known. He ended up as, I think, the 2nd engineer or something- basically in charge of keeping the vessel running and fixing broken components. He said the money was choice but after 2/seasons or whatever had to quit because the responsibility of the lives of everyone on the boat was too much to carry. Dick Ball was his name. Crazy, crazy mf'er but maybe the most skilled teacher at work applied physics Ive worked with. Felling trees, fixing machine and vehicles, etc dude could do it and also explain/teach in an accessible way. Anyways, got nothing to do with my hustles. But ya, the Bering sea is nuts. Stay safe
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This was a great read! One hell of an experience and you portrayed it nicely imo

Maybe one day I'll go on a similar trip I strongly believe it creates character

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »

You should charge more for your drug mule services
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2021, 12:11:46 AM »
A few years ago I discovered there's a tiny market of people who pay good money ($20-$30 AUD each) for empty beer cans on eBay if you didn't crack the top and drained the beer out from the bottom using a nail.
Anything that was newly released from a craft beer store would get bids/sell instantly, I'd just buy anything I wanted and drink them to order. It kinda died off but I was literally making $100-$200 a week doing it on top of the free beer. I wish it didn't end...

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2021, 12:15:05 AM »
Fuck, really? That’s awesome holy shit

Edit

A lot of people I know and myself too we all just give them to our mates kid cause he gets the ten cents for his savings and it teaches him about recycling but I’m starting to think about it and fuck him
listen to cosmic psychos

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2021, 09:09:43 AM »
like many that was my first occasional jerb/gig as a kid. if there was a party down the street or something the night prior and theres 200 or more bottles the old man would be happy to help me drive that shit for refunds after i hauled them back then in the car. then idk buy junk food go to the arcade etc

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »
Pre-pandemic I would get 3-5 wedding DJ gigs a year for 1k each. That was the shit. Now I'm in the same boat as you.

1k is ducking cheap. There’s a wedding flood this year and next. At least  double your price

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2021, 01:23:51 AM »
A few years ago I discovered there's a tiny market of people who pay good money ($20-$30 AUD each) for empty beer cans on eBay if you didn't crack the top and drained the beer out from the bottom using a nail.
Anything that was newly released from a craft beer store would get bids/sell instantly, I'd just buy anything I wanted and drink them to order. It kinda died off but I was literally making $100-$200 a week doing it on top of the free beer. I wish it didn't end...

I dont get this. People buy empty beer cans for $20-$30? Why don't they just go to the shop and buy the beer for $5?
Are they like beers than no longer exist or something?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »
I screen print bootleg punk/hc/random shirts and sell them on Etsy and eBay. I’ve started doing print jobs for other people as well. Learned to screen print last year and have made decent money doing it.
I work as an engineer at my day job but shockingly anyone who isn’t a boomer has a hard time making ends meet, especially in LA.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2021, 02:02:36 PM »
I screen print bootleg punk/hc/random shirts and sell them on Etsy and eBay. I’ve started doing print jobs for other people as well. Learned to screen print last year and have made decent money doing it.
I work as an engineer at my day job but shockingly anyone who isn’t a boomer has a hard time making ends meet, especially in LA.

Is screen printing hard ? Expensive to setup? Sounds interesting
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is screen printing hard ? Expensive to setup? Sounds interesting

It's easy the hard part is competing against others for sales since everyone does it now give it a shot though get creative with it don't just print something like band tees find what sticks and if it stops working move on to the next design.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2021, 12:16:12 AM »
Nah man a good press costs north of 20k and you need blokes that did an apprenticeship to run it properly

Stickers are cheap tho
listen to cosmic psychos

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2021, 03:57:12 AM »
Nah man a good press costs north of 20k and you need blokes that did an apprenticeship to run it properly

Stickers are cheap tho

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDDE8VvViFo

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2021, 06:22:00 AM »
imo the best option (that would atleast be enjoyable) would be look at your hobbies/interests and find something based off that. For me it'd be flipping pc's or mtb's as both are something I have good knowledge on, can buy low/sell high/refurb etc. Both got kinda fucked up due to covid, pc flipping is still iffy as gpu prices are fucked but I randomly spotted an RX480 8GB on FB marketplace for £60 and I happened to be out skating in the exact town the seller was located in. Picked it up, tested it and sold it on eBay the same night for £225. Bikes are also a good flip atm as atleast where I'm located, a LOT of people picked up bikes during the first lockdown, rode them about 3 times, realized they have no interest and then got it with the realization bikes don't hold their value that much so now they're selling them for cheap.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2021, 01:11:31 AM »
 I work landscaping during the week but I'm looking into buying a power washer for a side hustle on the weekends. Good money in it if you can get the work.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

pamier

• Rep: 15
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2021, 10:23:51 PM »
Sell fake J’s to the kids on my ymca basketball team a few years ago. They were so shit too lol they weren’t Taobao .99:1’s they were ioffer.com shits (back when they existed). I don’t like fashion anymore but I’d rather peddle counterfeit shoes than fake Xanax to the ymca basketball team. Rip Ben :( (he’s not dead but he could’ve prolly made varsity basketball if he didn’t get fat ass fuck and become a stoner smh my head)

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Pre-pandemic I would get 3-5 wedding DJ gigs a year for 1k each. That was the shit. Now I'm in the same boat as you.
[close]

1k is ducking cheap. There’s a wedding flood this year and next. At least  double your price
Word. 1k was for friends and fam, I should double it if randoms come knocking

BoardintheWorld

• Rep: 0
    • Board in the World avatar image
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »
If you have any design skills you can start a Merch by Amazon account. They're strict about copyright so it has to be your original work. It's print on demand. Products are listed on Amazon like anything else you could buy. They print and ship, you get paid a royalty.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
I work landscaping during the week but I'm looking into buying a power washer for a side hustle on the weekends. Good money in it if you can get the work.

Mate there’s also good money in floor prep, you would need a dece jackhammer and a 9 inch grinder and a concrete vac but standard rate is 40-50 a m2, go in at 30 and win jobs
You and a helper could do 100m2 in a day if you pumped it
Big day, shit work but that’s 3 grand

Just get cards made up and stick them in a bunch of tile shops
listen to cosmic psychos

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2022, 05:46:56 AM »
Bump, because research on leaving my career for another one hasn’t been very fruitful.

Considering trying to find cheap/free small furniture and refinishing it or painting it trendy colours to resell.  Sucks I only have a small car so bigger items are out, but I dunno maybe I’ll find other stuff to flip in my journey.

You guys up to anything profitable lately?

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2022, 07:26:33 AM »
Since I became a teacher I can do that (I'm done by 1pm tops) and I can also do some bits of civil engineering freelancing on the side.

It's so awesome and I've been able to skate for at least 2h any and every dry day.

I also earn more now that when I was a slave engineer for some bigoted tory cunt boss, doing 8+h a day of CAD and Microsoft Excel in a soulless environment.

video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
Bump, because research on leaving my career for another one hasn’t been very fruitful.

Considering trying to find cheap/free small furniture and refinishing it or painting it trendy colours to resell.  Sucks I only have a small car so bigger items are out, but I dunno maybe I’ll find other stuff to flip in my journey.

You guys up to anything profitable lately?

I had a gf who did that but the hourly rate if you think of it like that wasn't profitable at all as a side gig.

There's these old men who drive a trailer with trash cans around to local restaurants and shops that sell/serve beverages and collect the cans/bottles. One old dude said he makes $900/week doing it.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2022, 02:16:15 PM »
Yeah you’re probably right, would be time consuming.  Not that this wouldn’t also be.. but now I’m thinking about taking home pallets from work and making nature-inspired wall art with it.  I live near the ocean and the woods, so I feel like if I got half decent and marketed it right, I could sell it for a pretty penny.  Or just make Live Laugh Love, Wine O’Clock type shit.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2022, 03:53:40 PM »

I was literally thinking of doing the exact same thing. Congrats! Etsy is pretty fire.

Since I became a teacher I can do that (I'm done by 1pm tops) and I can also do some bits of civil engineering freelancing on the side.

It's so awesome and I've been able to skate for at least 2h any and every dry day.

I also earn more now that when I was a slave engineer for some bigoted tory cunt boss, doing 8+h a day of CAD and Microsoft Excel in a soulless environment.

This is the dream.