Did Nyjah throw the olympics?

Yes
22 (8.6%)
No
62 (24.2%)
Needed his cocaine
172 (67.2%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: UWTB Olympics thread  (Read 51549 times)

Mongey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: UWTB Olympics thread
« Reply #750 on: August 05, 2021, 01:50:29 AM »
Expand Quote
This Final is busted. How the hell do you give a 94 on a first run?

Pedro Basrros is the shit.
[close]

I asked myself the exact same. Very disappointed in the scoring

What they supposed to do ? Mark the run down cause it’s first run. He charged it and killed it , then added a kickflip 540 to it.

I thought USA should have lost 3rd. Last run  y Brazilian dude was way better.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #751 on: August 05, 2021, 02:37:14 AM »
I wish style and power had more to do with the scoring.
Seems like they judged more the difficulty of the tricks / runs. I’m not anti-Olympics but this was boring. + the announcers on French TV… why skateboarding on TV is always so cringe ?

British commentary wasn't great either, but the rapidity of the tricks and some of the camera angles made it difficult to get everything right in quick succession. When they did get a chance to correct themselves, it sounded like they knew how much scorn was coming their way.

Having said that, there were a few inexcusable howlers- I'm thrilled to have seen my first rock and roll slide.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 128
« Reply #752 on: August 05, 2021, 02:39:22 AM »
I wish style and power had more to do with the scoring.
Seems like they judged more the difficulty of the tricks / runs.

The old Christian Hosoi vs Tony Hawk debate...

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -239
« Reply #753 on: August 05, 2021, 02:40:51 AM »
That young kid ripped, but how the hell could you score Pedro 8 points lower???

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #754 on: August 05, 2021, 02:47:38 AM »
Whilst the judging did seem a bit erratic, I think it was the structure of the runs that made it more obvious. The skaters in the first two heats skated more conservatively than the later two. Less flip tricks and general craziness. The guys in the later stages knew what they had to do to score high
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

dunc

• Rep: 56
« Reply #755 on: August 05, 2021, 03:02:25 AM »
Zoom out filmers!! Don't film it from above !!! Don't judge it let the skaters decide.. pipe dream possibly but would be cool.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #756 on: August 05, 2021, 03:51:50 AM »
The judging was very confusing. I know most people don't like Andy Anderson but damn, the judges really didn't like him lol. I agree that the skaters in the later heats had an advantage by going later and knowing what kind of tricks they had to do to make the finals. Atleast the US got a bronze.

Mickey Knox

• Rep: -33
« Reply #757 on: August 05, 2021, 04:38:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This Final is busted. How the hell do you give a 94 on a first run?

Pedro Basrros is the shit.
[close]

I asked myself the exact same. Very disappointed in the scoring
[close]

What they supposed to do ? Mark the run down cause it’s first run. He charged it and killed it , then added a kickflip 540 to it.

I thought USA should have lost 3rd. Last run  y Brazilian dude was way better.
Way better? Cory’s run was flawless and there’s not a single person in the world that’s fronside flipping that high and fast on vert. He deserved that bronze.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #758 on: August 05, 2021, 06:20:09 AM »
For me, 45 second runs fuck it. Bummed I didn't manage to catch any of Rune or Zion's runs, but Oski was a real pleasure.
rune skated for a maximum of 35 seconds. he was easy to miss. the format was genuinely fucking stupid. if you’re going to stop people after 1 bail you need to do a times jam or something at allows everyone to actually skate

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2519
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #759 on: August 05, 2021, 06:21:45 AM »
The 1 bail and you're out rule is seriously dumb.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #760 on: August 05, 2021, 06:28:48 AM »
I don't mind the 1 bail and your done. it's straight to the point.. if you bail, you're not gonna win on that run, period

likewise on the scoring.. It's easy to moan about judging but if you blast like keegan or pedro did, you're gonna win. I don't think anyone was robbed. Luiz Francisco got a close 4th, but Cory's runs deserved bronze a little more.

Juliet Berto

« Reply #761 on: August 05, 2021, 06:29:26 AM »
Having said that, there were a few inexcusable howlers- I'm thrilled to have seen my first rock and roll slide.

Okay, on that one at least (as I didn't hear the commentary) to be honest it's actually your own ignorance rather an inexcusable howler: "rock 'n' roll slide" is an absolutely legitimate, albeit archaic term. It's definitely canon and while it fell out of common usage a few decades plus ago, it's still thrown out regularly enough by the ancient ones.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #762 on: August 05, 2021, 06:36:56 AM »
I think the correct term is slide and roll.....all the above are acceptable though.....

style and power do get rewarded which is why Pedro got silver...had there been an insane transfer it would have been tougher but he has the same bag of tricks.....

The judging wasn't perfect but I don't think there was a huge injustice....

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #763 on: August 05, 2021, 06:37:29 AM »
“A clean pull” sounds gross.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #764 on: August 05, 2021, 06:52:50 AM »

lmfao was like my mom trying to imitate what teenagers say

are you smoking pot michael?

yo say what you will about && but like 60 for that run... really? i get it they dont want to 9 club it but come on bro...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #765 on: August 05, 2021, 07:02:26 AM »
The judging was very confusing. I know most people don't like Andy Anderson but damn, the judges really didn't like him lol. I agree that the skaters in the later heats had an advantage by going later and knowing what kind of tricks they had to do to make the finals. Atleast the US got a bronze.
it reminded me of ice skating actually (the judging that is), it’s all about flashing tricks and spins but it seems they don’t even rate some of the lip tricks or unique stuff like backside boneless on top of the rail!
Also, I spat my lunch out at Cory’s frontside flip, came out of nowhere and it was fucking massive/ clean!
Bummed I didn’t see Oski’s runs but I knew he wouldn’t make the finals because he’s not calculative enough to do so...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 07:19:42 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #766 on: August 05, 2021, 07:13:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Okay, on that one at least (as I didn't hear the commentary) to be honest it's actually your own ignorance rather an inexcusable howler: "rock 'n' roll slide" is an absolutely legitimate, albeit archaic term. It's definitely canon and while it fell out of common usage a few decades plus ago, it's still thrown out regularly enough by the ancient ones.

Delicious, delicious humble pie. I did some googling and you're right! I found a vid of Cab doing a how to.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #767 on: August 05, 2021, 07:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yo say what you will about && but like 60 for that run... really? i get it they dont want to 9 club it but come on bro...

I agree, but I expected the Olympic jock judges to hate on Andy. I assume they reacted to his run like “insufficient amplitude, insufficient spinning, a distinct lack of froggyflip indys, access denied. We demand flying tomater.” I hope Cheetah is handling things ok.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #768 on: August 05, 2021, 08:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree, but I expected the Olympic jock judges to hate on Andy. I assume they reacted to his run like “insufficient amplitude, insufficient spinning, a distinct lack of froggyflip indys, access denied. We demand flying tomater.” I hope Cheetah is handling things ok.

im pretty sure Lincoln Ueda is one of the judges which really bums me out. lot of respect lost for him. no one else is doing no NOLLIE HEEL VARIAL tricks clearing out past the coping... its like they dont even really understand what they are watching. the sketchiness of popping up onto that narrow ass top of the quarter pipe, making the turn then gaping to that rail to death drop. its actaully really fucked up how grossely underscored that was. he had 540 in his run too im pretty sure. he had some big airs. i dont really get it. he had an INSANE launch up to nose manny , so much risk involved in that so much could have went wrong in that run and he did it almost perfect 3 times and relaly nailed it on the one attempt only to get scored a fucking 60!

yo WHO ELSE is doing heel varial over the hip like that and also adding a proper grab not just indy BS!!

MrDuckey

• Rep: -106
« Reply #769 on: August 05, 2021, 04:27:51 PM »
Does anyone miss the original street league format? I think it was best score from tech, flow, and big section added up. Not sure if it was that or the fact the whole lineup was full of OGs but the first few years of Street league were my favorite. Now it's just boring

hesmyfav

• Rep: -3
« Reply #770 on: August 05, 2021, 04:36:52 PM »
Nyjah should have won!
Watch his run and tell me I’m wrong.
http://fumacrom.com/1baMy

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #771 on: August 06, 2021, 09:36:31 AM »

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #772 on: August 06, 2021, 10:06:11 AM »
lmao Time Magazine trying to roast

https://time.com/6087637/us-beaten-skateboarding-tokyo/

"maybe the US needs to get young"

Yeah that's totally what we need, another disgusting Olympic youth movement that won't be filled with predators like the Olympic gymnastics program. They can even bring Neal Hendrix back

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #773 on: August 06, 2021, 10:35:54 AM »
Format was weird. Scoring was all over
Thought it was pretty wild how Luiz still caught his board on that missed heelflip.

Miller92

• Rep: -280
« Reply #774 on: August 06, 2021, 11:03:48 AM »
It is kind of insane how bad the US skaters looked in the shadow of Japan and Brazil.

We're gonna need to step it up next time.

But I think better announcers, better scoring (switch the format from heats to 20 straight, 2 runs), an actual crowd, etc. will make this much more exciting.

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #775 on: August 06, 2021, 12:20:13 PM »
How about you guys, but I found it really hard to watch the Olympics live?

I don't have cable TV so I spent $4.99 on the Peacock app, only to find out they just show reruns on the next day – not the live stream…

Was it difficult for you to watch skating in the Olympics?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #776 on: August 06, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
How about you guys, but I found it really hard to watch the Olympics live?

I don't have cable TV so I spent $4.99 on the Peacock app, only to find out they just show reruns on the next day – not the live stream…

Was it difficult for you to watch skating in the Olympics?
Absolutely, a huge pain in the ass

I have YouTube TV which includes a lot of live Olympic coverage sorted by sport, but not all of it. So certain events are full coverage while others just get little clips in between canoe races or whatever. Some events, like women’s park finals, have a full replay available, while others, like men’s lark final (at least as of yesterday) do not. Most of the surfing coverage is just straight up not available. I signed up for an NBC trial and a Peacock trial (I think they’re two different things?) but neither of those has all the content either. Maybe it’s all available somewhere on those services and I’m just not looking in the correct place, idk.

So if anyone has a link to the men’s or women’s park qualifiers lmk, I want to see Oski and Lizzie’s runs. And I’d love to find a relay of the surfing events as well.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #778 on: August 06, 2021, 02:15:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah that's totally what we need, another disgusting Olympic youth movement that won't be filled with predators like the Olympic gymnastics program. They can even bring Neal Hendrix back
i say we go old. get established contest killers like greg lutzka. those kids won’t know what hit em

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #779 on: August 06, 2021, 02:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i say we go old. get established contest killers like greg lutzka. those kids won’t know what hit em

We're pulling Kyle Berard off the bench, park gold medal incoming