Author Topic: How to fall?  (Read 1127 times)

gaiusballz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
How to fall?
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
With the last few months I’ve broken my collar bone and wrist and had the realization that I never learned how to fall properly. Did a little research and I’m honestly tempted to see if I can get a judo instructor to teach me breakfalls.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to start and what to do?

skunty

• Rep: 73
Re: How to fall?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 02:29:28 PM »
1) know the different ways you could fall (slipping out, getting pitched, foot slips on ledge, landing primo) and what is likely for the trick youre doing so you're ready to bail safely and be less surprised mid trick 2) bail when somethigns going wrong and land on your feet and run it outt (but make sure not to accidentally step back on the board after bailing) 3) if its too late to bail to your feet and run it out then prepare to go to the ground gracefully, which usually means dont fight the momentum too much just try to roll with it and get to your back or butt and avoid putting your arms down to break your fall if you can cuz that's how you'll damage your wrist/elbow/shoulder

and just watch clips of nakel smith bailing and be like him

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »
Yeah try roll onto your shoulder but make sure you tuck your head in to your collarbone
listen to cosmic psychos

sketchyrider

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:53:46 AM »
The real question is how to fall switch

MorningSesh

• Rep: 75
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 07:44:11 AM »
I found this helpful even though I very rarely do any hucking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxRHTr_PkOU&ab_channel=SKATEHACKS

phlap

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
The real question is how to fall switch
I hate slipping out regular, I'd rather just roll. But Switch is the opposite.

Guess I just hate the left hand side of my body.
-Summer of George-

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 08:40:46 PM »
watch nakel and cosplay airbags
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 04:23:19 AM »
I heard parkour teaches you how to fall if you find a big enough group they'll probably show you how for free.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1472
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 07:19:23 AM »
I'm old and wear footprint hip pads (one on each hip and one on the tailbone). I just let gravity pull me to my soft spots.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 01:45:01 PM »
I champion intersectional falling. Take up bouldering, nothing will teach you how to fall from heights better.

On the real though, the only real advice is "if you can't run out, roll out, and never stick your arms behind you." It's good to have the ideas in your head, but it's really instincts built from falling repeatedly.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 01:57:11 PM by white guy in a durag »

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 02:08:33 PM »
Figure it out for yourself. Stay loose and find a way to use the forward momentum. Don’t try to come to a sudden halt but spread out the contact. Don’t be tense. Speed is actually your friend when it comes to bailing.  Judo roles only work in some situations. I usually role sideways, rather than over my shoulder.

I think it will help you if you don‘t try to force your trick every time. Test you Tricks first by deliberately bailing them a few times. Before you attempt a difficult trick or try a new trick give yourself enough time to feel comfortable with bailing out of it. This has done wonders for me especially for transition skating.

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 04:12:42 PM »
I remember in jr high I'd wished my mom was rich enough to buy me some knee pads. The kids that had them would see how long they could slide along the smoothest section of concrete at school. still can't knee slide to this day

This was Robert Frost jr high circa combat 1987

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 133
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 10:54:38 PM »
I feel it’s also good to note that speed is your friend here, as it helps distribute the force forward when you fall. My worst slams have been from halfmindedly goofing around with no speed and falling straight down and trying to put my hands down. With forward momentum you can roll or even slide on smooth ground and only maybe break your clothes.

As for judo, sure it might help to know the basic ukemi techniques, but maybe not the best bang for your buck as it’s usually applied in a controlled manner where as in skating your usually are not falling so predictably. With greater skill comes greater application of course, and practising martial arts or any kind of gymnastic exercise helps with your proprioception / body awareness.

I do try to look like this when falling backwards though.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest