Author Topic: Big Wheel Appreciation Thread  (Read 11298 times)

white guy in a durag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
Re: Big Wheel Appreciation Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2021, 12:16:18 PM »
Quick heads up for the euro boys. Mantis in Hamburg has 58 classics and 58 97a conical fulls at the moment.

https://mantisshop.de/spitfire/spitfire-f4-classic-camo-capsule-99a-purple.html?c=22
https://mantisshop.de/spitfire/spitfire-f4-conical-full-97a-mint.html?c=22

(Also G-bones and Mini Cubics... if you swing that way)

Also a courtesy quote because this vid is too good to get buried so quickly:
Habitat era Fred Gall in Florida:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:23:21 PM by white guy in a durag »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2022, 10:14:27 PM »

Too good not to post here

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2022, 12:18:47 AM »

This guy has been coming up on both my YouTube and intsa. Not really the spirit of this thread but his board looks sick. like he is riding a sub 7.5 with 55mms.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2022, 01:38:43 AM »

Comments from Serjei in the comments about the setups they rode.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2022, 06:19:22 PM »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2022, 02:14:37 PM »
https://rollersnakes.co.uk/products/slime-balls-slime-balls-goooberz-vomits-97a-wheels-60mm?_pos=9&_sid=de8e1a88f&_ss=r

Anyone tried these? They’re what Brass is currently skating. Same wheel as his hands pro model test came out a few years back

white guy in a durag

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2022, 02:22:11 PM »
I'm actually riding those right now and I like them a lot. Anything particular you want to know about them?

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2022, 02:59:59 PM »
How you finding them? How much width do they add?

white guy in a durag

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2022, 06:44:26 PM »
They feel slightly softer than the spitfire 97s, but they're still quick and slide well enough for me. They also bark nicely when you powerslide.

A bout the width: I always ride them with the radial side out, and it's flush with the end of my axle. The conical side covers a bout a 1/4" of the hangar, so they do decrease the effective width of your truck a bit. I wouldn't really recommend them for trucks narrower than 8.5 for this reason.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2022, 07:19:13 AM »
Re-read this whole thread last night and seeing that part this morning got me sparked.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2022, 08:02:54 PM »
That Sergei part is so good.
Early Zero had some awesome big wheel set ups.

Outdoor Miner

• Rep: 1
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2022, 11:04:09 PM »
Here’s some OG Pig wheels I’ve saved from back in the day. Thrill Of It All inspired me to have Adrian Lopez type of setup. Rode these on a 8.25 Zero bold with some stage 7 146’s.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2022, 06:46:52 AM »
Scroll through:

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »
Scroll through:

Thanks for posting this!

I was asking in another thread, what were these dudes running when they first started with the big wheels (before First Division and Physics started doing them)? And in the comments some dude mentioned Jerry Fisher starting the trend by skating (what I assume are Powell) Bombers. Which makes sense on multiple levels.

Edit: confirmed that Jerry Fisher and Fred Gall skated Powell Peralta Bombers back in the day. Hell yes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:16:29 AM by Ronnie Rodriguez »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2022, 09:50:15 AM »
Who's got big wheels with Ace Classics?

I want to get some V-shape NFGs in 56mm but I want to put them on Ace 44 Classics and I don't want risers... I have a set of Indy 149s if I need them (which I currently have 56mm F4 on with no problems at all), but I really want to keep going with the Ace. Am I asking for trouble with this combo?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2022, 09:55:54 AM »

I want to get some V-shape NFGs in 56mm but I want to put them on Ace 44 Classics and I don't want risers... I have a set of Indy 149s if I need them (which I currently have 56mm F4 on with no problems at all), but I really want to keep going with the Ace. Am I asking for trouble with this combo?

Indys (in spite of being higher) actually bite easier than Ace classics due to the geometry. I was skating the same wheels on 44 classics with no risers for a bit and it wasn't bad. I waxed my wheel wells as a precaution, but I'm also bigger than the average skater so that was a part of it.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2022, 10:00:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Indys (in spite of being higher) actually bite easier than Ace classics due to the geometry. I was skating the same wheels on 44 classics with no risers for a bit and it wasn't bad. I waxed my wheel wells as a precaution, but I'm also bigger than the average skater so that was a part of it.

Cool thanks! I'm pretty small (about 140lbs), so I guess this swings it in my favor.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2022, 12:24:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Truth. Ace Classics have a last second 'hook' in the turn that seems to tuck the wheel away from wheelbite. That's my theory.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:32:48 PM by Frank and Fred »

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2022, 10:36:57 PM »
Anyone try the Radial Fulls yet? They come in pretty big sizes. I'm currently riding some 56mm, and they've been treating me well so far. I'm not sure yet if I like them more or less than Conical Fulls.

Conical Fulls feel more stable and solid. They don't tip and they really bite the ground. They're a bit lighter, and also a bit more predictable.

Radial Fulls feel more like monster truck wheels. They are good at riding up stuff, especially from the side. They tilt easier in that regard for better and for worse. They feel more like all terrain wheels. They definitely feel a bit heavier than Conical Fulls. From the shape and sightly wider wheel overall, it makes sense that they are heavier.

I don't have a conclusion on which wheel I like better yet. This is the first radial wheel I've ridden in quite a long time so I am still getting used to it.

What do you guys think?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2022, 05:22:47 AM »

i skated spitfire 58mm classics and 58mm OG classics on 44 classics and it was fine. i ran the classics with no risers at all and the og classics with the ace 1/16 shock pads (1mm difference in height?). obviously you're going to get wheelbite but it's not that bad.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2022, 12:06:16 PM »
Had my first session on these 65mm Slimeballs today. I know the egg and big wheel combo is considered to be a no-no, but I don't care and this one reminds me of how tapered noses and tails were circa 1996.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »
Had my first session on these 65mm Slimeballs today. I know the egg and big wheel combo is considered to be a no-no, but I don't care and this one reminds me of how tapered noses and tails were circa 1996.

Please give us a side view shot of this. I need the fantasy of seeing someone ride this at the spot.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2022, 01:23:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Please give us a side view shot of this. I need the fantasy of seeing someone ride this at the spot.

Not too crazy.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2022, 01:56:17 PM »
Beauty

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2022, 03:37:28 PM »
Thanks, I'm mostly a point A to point B skater these days (and live in Philly) so they should be fun. Was mostly inspired by the duo in this part:

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2022, 01:59:57 PM »
Bump. I hit up Sergei directly to ask about what kind of big-ass wheels the Philly dudes were riding back in like 94/95 when big wheels weren't really a thing. Here is what he said:

Yeah man we all rode for spitfire at the time we started to want to ride bigger wheels. Spitfire didn’t do pro wheels back then so they gave the city of Philly wheels. They were called liberty bells. The only way we agreed to it is if the made size 58 . That was huge for those times. They agreed because they loved Freddy ( who didn’t) and that was the start.

I also asked about the no powerslides thing and if it was because the wheels were a softer duro. His response was:

They were hard. We just thought that if you bombed a hill that means that you head straight down the hill without slowing down by sliding. If that makes sense.