Author Topic: Emerica - This  (Read 24041 times)

coldbrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 403
Re: Emerica - This
« Reply #210 on: September 19, 2021, 06:47:54 AM »
Finally got around to watching this and have to say I loved it. That spanky ender was fucked up and tech figgy might be my favorite figgy ever. Great job by everyone involved.

newguy

« Reply #211 on: September 19, 2021, 07:01:05 AM »
Expand Quote
One of the older guys in my crew said spanky footage is an acquired taste, I think that’s true in a sense, younger skaters won’t really pay attention to his part because he’s not doing big obstacles and flip tricks. Personally I think his skating is relaxing to watch, and I like that he wallies everything in his path  :D
[close]

I am an old skater growing up in the 90s when wallrides were illegal, and stopped skating before they became fashionable again. I skate again since 2020 and was baffled by how many wallrides were featured in modern skateparts. I find them fascinating because I don‘t have the faintest idea how to do them. On a related note I saw two younger (late 20s) dudes yesterday practicing no complys, another sight I have to get used to. If you were doing them in the 90s you were an eccentric outsider.

From the few times I attempted one, you basically Ollie into something instead of over something and angle you nose so it slides up. At least that’s what I did, probably have it completely backwards

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #212 on: September 19, 2021, 07:18:26 AM »
I wish Emerica would move away from this prog rock hesh sound.

The green tint affords enough of a cohesive identity not to have to drench it all in what ends up sounding like the same fucking song every fucking time.

there is nothing to set these emerica parts apart from each other, which doesn't help since all these guys already have a sort of predictable trick selection.

having said that, I actually liked provost' tricks in this and didn't mind the shared part with fiffy. In a weird way his skating reminded me of suski, just with less flavour.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2021, 07:45:21 AM »
having said that, I actually liked provost' tricks in this and didn't mind the shared part with fiffy. In a weird way his skating reminded me of suski, just with less flavour.
Damn boys, I think we have a new one! Fiffy's manual game was definitely upped in This.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn boys, I think we have a new one! Fiffy's manual game was definitely upped in This.

It’s been Foggy for a while now I thought. On Don Brown’s Nine Club he even accidentally said “Foggy” lol
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One of the older guys in my crew said spanky footage is an acquired taste, I think that’s true in a sense, younger skaters won’t really pay attention to his part because he’s not doing big obstacles and flip tricks. Personally I think his skating is relaxing to watch, and I like that he wallies everything in his path  :D
[close]
I am an old skater growing up in the 90s when wallrides were illegal, and stopped skating before they became fashionable again. I skate again since 2020 and was baffled by how many wallrides were featured in modern skateparts. I find them fascinating because I don‘t have the faintest idea how to do them. On a related note I saw two younger (late 20s) dudes yesterday practicing no complys, another sight I have to get used to. If you were doing them in the 90s you were an eccentric outsider.
[close]
* Shows up to the park with their Zero 7.75 and black wheels after a 15 year break and can barely skate transition and cannot even begin to understand no complies, slappies, or wallrides *

Sorry if I come across as a dick lol, I have just heard some variation of this comment at various parks over the years and the guys inevitably look the same. Kind of like a skateboarding Rip Van Winkle.

Reminds me of the classic Seinfeld bit where Jerry says "all fathers dress in the fashion style of the last good year of their lives"

Must have been about 2004 for a lot of guys in their late 30s - mid-40s.

Let‘s see, well I ride an 8.5 with green wheels, cannot skate transition but I manage a shitty fs180 no comply every now and then and, thanks to Slap, learned slappies since my comeback. Not sure if I look like Rip van Winkle. I mostly wear Dickies and football tops. @IusedToSkateMore thought I looked like Jello Biafra  ;D Don’t worry tho, I don‘t skate parks if I can avoid it so I won‘t show up at yours. I‘ll gladly admit that I am nostalgic for the 90s.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2021, 10:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
* Shows up to the park with their Zero 7.75 and black wheels after a 15 year break and can barely skate transition and cannot even begin to understand no complies, slappies, or wallrides *

Sorry if I come across as a dick lol, I have just heard some variation of this comment at various parks over the years and the guys inevitably look the same. Kind of like a skateboarding Rip Van Winkle.

Reminds me of the classic Seinfeld bit where Jerry says "all fathers dress in the fashion style of the last good year of their lives"

[close]

Let‘s see, well I ride an 8.5 with green wheels, cannot skate transition but I manage a shitty fs180 no comply every now and then and, thanks to Slap, learned slappies since my comeback. Not sure if I look like Rip van Winkle. I mostly wear Dickies and football tops. @IusedToSkateMore thought I looked like Jello Biafra  ;D Don’t worry tho, I don‘t skate parks if I can avoid it so I won‘t show up at yours. I‘ll gladly admit that I am nostalgic for the 90s.
Hahaha I posted all of that in jest. I'm hyped on anyone skateboarding, even if they had to step away for awhile. You are more than welcome at my park or street spot!

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

May you never age.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2021, 10:11:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Spanky's best part was in this is skateboarding.
[close]
He was one of the best at that type of skating (making rails gaps looks effortless and graceful) at that time during TIS but I prefer modern day spanky. Feels like an expression of who he is rather than just doing what everyone is doing however well he did it.

You forgot to quote "I Think but I totally get you. I just prefer that part as a whole. The skating, the music and the editing made it timeless. His baker 3 part was great too. I like rail and gap skating though but I gotta admit Spankys last trick in This was the best trick in the video.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
So good. Seeing Figgy smile after eating shit, face first on the handrail nose grind kind of won my heart a little bit. Plus he really came through with this part. Colin as well with the impossible.
Spanky and Jon Dickson had my favorite clips, although that may be because there's less music in their section. The switch fs flip by the new kid Jordan was fucking insane. I wasn't into the soundtrack at all but I get that they're going for something. Well done, Emerica.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:54:51 AM by funeral_tuxedo »

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -208
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2021, 11:32:26 AM »
The nu-stoner/doom soundtrack is a thing that makes me wanna vert-button any skate movie, but powered through as the edit and skating was otherwise great.

Spankys wallride line and switch slappy were very sick, as was Dashawns EDIT: Jordan Powells ss frontside slip, that flip back smith, back smith flip line that was mentioned was awesome too. Leo had a huge noseslide TM ad in Thrasher, but the footage wasn't in this yet if I remember correctly.

Also, there is something warming to see Toy Machine/Foundation boards in Emerica videos.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2021, 12:06:53 PM »
Real good video, always fucking love what Emerica puts out and Miner smashed it with this one. @EmericaTM please make sure Jordan Powell has a full part in your next video!

To throw my hat in the mix I'd say Spanly's best part was Made 2, I agree that nothing after TIS matched that part, until Made when he completely surprised me.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2021, 01:49:19 PM »
Shit, I don’t know man… there was some stand out clips in the montage, but I feel like I’ve seen this already a dozen of times before. Soundtrack was pretty shit too, and I like heavy music. They just always pick the most uninspired/boring “desert rock/stoner” bullshit, what a snooze fest.
Emerica videos have been looking and sounding the same for over a decade. Can’t Emerica just try something new?! Like, for once?!

...That being said, Jordan Powell’s line with the sw fs flip was a thing of beauty. That tweak was bonkers.  :o

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

SmilingBoy

• Rep: 12
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »
I liked the spanky part with no music.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »
@EmericaTM what rail was figgy trying to skate that he fucked his stomach up on? i expected that clip to be in this video since it wasn’t in baker 4, was no one filming?

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »
Imagine Colin trying to get Leo to call him "spider".

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2021, 01:01:08 AM »
i really liked this.
figgy is a beast and he dwarfs every set and every rail in sight.
the slam was fucked up. his manual tricks were a nice surprise.
colllin does what he does. he's good, i appreciate it, but i ain't a big fan.
the montage was sick too, everyone killed it. leo's still got it. spanly kills it too.

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2021, 07:21:07 AM »
@EmericaTM what rail was figgy trying to skate that he fucked his stomach up on? i expected that clip to be in this video since it wasn’t in baker 4, was no one filming?
It was that yellow triple kink rail that Tre Williams grinded and Cole Wilson feebled. It was our second time back and Figgy was just warming up hopping on some grinds. Beagle and myself were in the middle of setting up and then on one try Fig just locked in weird and ended up rib racking it so hard that his spine actually punctured his intestines.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2021, 09:37:46 AM »
Yikes
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
idk i keep up with current pant and shoe trends for the most part and i am 35
my shirt game is lacking though , feels stuck in the 2000s  ;D

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »
If a machine-learning algorithm analyzed every Emerica vid since Stay Gold, it might've come up with this exact soundtrack.

The skating was good. Great, even. And yet, 2 maybe 3 clips were memorable to me.

Maybe it's time for me to try and actually work during the day instead of watching clips on Slap, chasing a high that never fully satisfies. I guess i'm 00 days sober.

baggy spandex

« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2021, 01:06:37 PM »
"when it goes above knee-high, it's not a slappy anymore, it's a Spanky"

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
spanky’s head high slappy was excellent, dickson over the rail was amazing, but everything underwhelmed. something about the edit removed all tension and release. i’m shocked it was a miner work. soundtrack was predictably terrible, but it was just 6 straight minutes of individual clips with no arc. such a disappointment bc dickson’s green part was legit moving

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -208
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2021, 08:04:41 PM »
spanky’s head high slappy was excellent, dickson over the rail was amazing, but everything underwhelmed. something about the edit removed all tension and release. i’m shocked it was a miner work. soundtrack was predictably terrible, but it was just 6 straight minutes of individual clips with no arc. such a disappointment bc dickson’s green part was legit moving

maybe you'd consider it a minor Miner work

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »
has anyone ever done a real bump to slappy?( i know jj did that insane bump wallie in a dime video)
but i wanna see someone flying off a bump to wallride/slappy a 6 foot high ledge or somn. something that can’t be ollied onto
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »

Gary hit that one on the nose, shits so true. It's crazy because that kind of skating has become a lot more common these days but Spanky's skating still stands out, seems to quite literally rise above the others. The dude's already had a great career hucking and now he's reinvented himself, skating in a unique way that  fits his style and differentiates him from the pack. Simply inspirational.

I'm late to the discussion and seems everything's been just about said but great vid over all. Jordan, Figgy, and Spanky definitely all stood out. Collin had some great clips too but he does a lot of similar things (fly outs, not to say they don't look sick or fun, that fly out to tailslide at the beginning was insane.). Might have been why it was a duet style part to visually diversify things. Dickson's clips we're pretty epic, just wanted more of them.

Music was ok but I agree they could have used some diversity there too. Most likely the skaters had some say over it since we know these guys are into that kind of stuff. Wish there was some twinklely post rock or shoe gazey stuff instead of all stoner metal. Spanky should have called in a favor from Mogwai or Animal Collective for his part just to refresh the aural palette.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2021, 10:40:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gary hit that one on the nose, shits so true. It's crazy because that kind of skating has become a lot more common these days but Spanky's skating still stands out, seems to quite literally rise above the others. The dude's already had a great career hucking and now he's reinvented himself, skating in a unique way that  fits his style and differentiates him from the pack. Simply inspirational.

I'm late to the discussion and seems everything's been just about said but great vid over all. Jordan, Figgy, and Spanky definitely all stood out. Collin had some great clips too but he does a lot of similar things (fly outs, not to say they don't look sick or fun, that fly out to tailslide at the beginning was insane.). Might have been why it was a duet style part to visually diversify things. Dickson's clips we're pretty epic, just wanted more of them.

Music was ok but I agree they could have used some diversity there too. Most likely the skaters had some say over it since we know these guys are into that kind of stuff. Wish there was some twinklely post rock or shoe gazey stuff instead of all stoner metal. Spanky should have called in a favor from Mogwai or Animal Collective for his part just to refresh the aural palette.

has animal collective been used in a video post Mindfield? feel like that was the mgnum opus for their music being used. no knock to them cause theyre live shows are amazing but their music feels kind of dated
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »
Pretty sure I saw Reynolds skated to panda bear recently, as in the last 5 years or so. Can't remember where. Guess I was kind of imagining something more ambient like that moreso then something more traditional AC.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:59:53 PM by Mariatorresflores »

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »
besides the jpow footage, Jon Dickson's kickflip into a tennis court was my favorite clip. I think that dude really sets the bar for Emerica these days, Leo and Spanky can chill and skate however tf they want

Monopolyman

« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2021, 02:14:40 PM »
The skating and filming are impressive but this edit didnt make me feel anything.  The music was sort of generic and dull - probably the main culprit as others have stated already.  Felt corporate, ironically.