Author Topic: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now  (Read 25403 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« on: July 30, 2021, 04:27:45 AM »
Sorry for the bummer thread.

I was at Love yesterday looking for ghosts, and it was really sad.

What's making you feel blue in skating these days? 

How are you coping?

Are brighter days ahead?

Am I just being negative?

Dopethrone

• Rep: -20
Re: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 04:34:40 AM »
Brighter days are always ahead. Dont lose hope, I always have things in the future as my light at the end of the tunnel and try not to lose sight of them.

Thats and try exercise every couple of days has kept my staying sane over the last 16months

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 04:41:34 AM »
The massive contradictions I see in skate culture has me feeling down, things could be so much better for us as a whole if people would just grow up and stop lying to one another.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:46:11 AM »
*36 year old yelling at cloud

Honestly the thought of kids treating skating like a sport bums me out. I know it’s been going on for ages - but whatever, kids won’t get the purity of jumping a fence to skate a school yard with your mates, then deciding to go
to another spot in the suburb over so you all make the treck together and so on.. Kids are just getting dropped to the park like it’s a daycare and it makes me sad

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 05:53:58 AM »
alex midler

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 05:57:35 AM »
Lurker Lou summed it up best.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 05:58:16 AM »

Honestly the thought of kids treating skating like a sport bums me out. I know it’s been going on for ages - but whatever, kids won’t get the purity of jumping a fence to skate a school yard with your mates, then deciding to go
to another spot in the suburb over so you all make the treck together and so on.. Kids are just getting dropped to the park like it’s a daycare and it makes me sad
Same here man, and I'm 32.  I've only ever been to the park a handful of times in my life, still can't really skate transition.

Granted it was starting when I first started skating.  My friends and I would do the above, but after a while all they wanted to do was skate.  Really bummed me out.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 06:04:30 AM »
I don't know, there's a lot of annoying things in skating at the moment, but actually, it seems like a pretty good moment for skating as a whole. Olympics are lame, but somehow also cool because of people like Alexis Sablone competing and Yuto winning in his hometown in front of the world has gotta feel good for the kid, especially since the whole of Japan is depressed and the world population at large. Instagram hype fits are corny but these kids are having fun, if there's one Versace Plug in the bunch, it's a net positive. Who cares?

One of the best things about skating is how it's always moving forward and changing but there will always be footage as a historical document. I was always bummed I never got to skate the low brooklyn banks but had fun skating the tall fucked up ones. There is no point chasing the past, skating's gotta keep moving.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 06:06:28 AM »
Inflation of prices.

mainly Wheels and Decks

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1217
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 06:14:06 AM »
Companies can’t just use whatever music they want to in their videos without impunity anymore.  Now we’ve got videos that disappear when their timed music licenses run out and parts set to generic, royalty-free muzak. 

I’m no expert on how all that works, but I wonder what potentially classic part + song combos we’ve missed out on because they couldn’t afford to pay for a particular song.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 104
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 06:21:29 AM »
I think you have to separate yourself from "Skateboarding" as whole and say "Is what I do lame/depressing/corny".

If you still get a kick out of what you do and where you do it then that should be enough. Try to turn off the emotion of what others are doing and what Skateboarding is doing.

Be you. Shred a curb/hubba/bank/ditch/flatbar and satisfy yourself.

Fuck Skateboarding, go skate.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 06:21:42 AM »
My kickflips

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 06:23:04 AM »
My kickflips

my kickflips would like to have a word with your kickflips.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 06:25:09 AM »
I'm bummed about how much people care about contest skating. Skateboarding is absolutely objectively not about competition. Comps used to be a bit of fun to see a bunch of rad skaters in the same place at the same time. Nobody really cared who won and nobody really thought the winner was the "best" because they won.

X Games was a joke for a long time. It was just some shit that American bro jocks would watch and "yeeeeew" for their favourite vert skater. But now with SLS and Olympics its become accepted all serious "sport" shit.

Contrary to popular belief skateboarding started in the streets and to me is only really in its true for when carried out in the streets. Parks are fun. Ramp skating is ok guess. But skateboarding belongs in the streets with no rules, no-one keeping score, no uniforms .. just fun.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 06:30:46 AM »
Companies can’t just use whatever music they want to in their videos without impunity anymore.  Now we’ve got videos that disappear when their timed music licenses run out and parts set to generic, royalty-free muzak. 

I’m no expert on how all that works, but I wonder what potentially classic part + song combos we’ve missed out on because they couldn’t afford to pay for a particular song.

This is mostly due to the delivery method right? Most companies definitely didn't have the resources to use the music they did in the 90s, but since videos were only distributed via physical tapes, the copyright owners likely were never aware of the infringement.

I do think it's interesting that currently you can use some music you don't own the rights to in YouTube videos, they just monetize your video instead. I'm all for it if it means I can make an edit to some classic stuff I could never afford.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 06:35:04 AM »
I'm 2 months into a long injury rehab so I'm kinda losing it. Hard to sleep when ur not skating lol. If anything skating being "cool" now mean it will probably be uncool again soon which will be fun

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 06:43:18 AM »
Threads like this
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 06:51:19 AM »
I'm bummed about how much people care about contest skating. Skateboarding is absolutely objectively not about competition. Comps used to be a bit of fun to see a bunch of rad skaters in the same place at the same time. Nobody really cared who won and nobody really thought the winner was the "best" because they won.

X Games was a joke for a long time. It was just some shit that American bro jocks would watch and "yeeeeew" for their favourite vert skater. But now with SLS and Olympics its become accepted all serious "sport" shit.

Contrary to popular belief skateboarding started in the streets and to me is only really in its true for when carried out in the streets. Parks are fun. Ramp skating is ok guess. But skateboarding belongs in the streets with no rules, no-one keeping score, no uniforms .. just fun.
olympics now unironically smh. skateboarding was one of the only good thing in this soulless world and now its shameless about that too. it got whored out past any point of being genuine to the subculture or being redeemed from the tentacles of nike head offices etc. olympians and convenience stores sponsors and utter bullshit. still fun i guess

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 06:57:35 AM »
I'm bummed on how the culture is so insanely obsessed with getting clips, esp. for social media clout.  I understand the whole for-posterity's-sake, but when skating the park or going to a great spot and having to accommodate and become an unwilling participant in the bottle neck of the skater-filmer chase that ensues, it just gets a little tiring.

Pennybabie

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 06:59:48 AM »

This upsets me too websites should remind people to back up their files.. but then again if they did that how would they sell us cloud storage services?  :o :(

Expand Quote

[close]
Same here man, and I'm 32.  I've only ever been to the park a handful of times in my life, still can't really skate transition.

Granted it was starting when I first started skating.My friends and I would do the above, but after a while all they wanted to do was skate.  Really bummed me out.

This is why I don't understand people who freak out over this it's been happening for a decade now and things have turned out ok there are way bigger things that will stop kids from having fun like social media ruining good spots.

I'm 2 months into a long injury rehab so I'm kinda losing it. Hard to sleep when ur not skating lol. If anything skating being "cool" now mean it will probably be uncool again soon which will be fun

Some one who gets it!  8)

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 07:02:50 AM »

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 07:04:20 AM »

For real, imagine Element trying to release third eye view or world tour today hahaha they’d go bankrupt trying to get Stevie Wonder, Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones tracks on a vid even with all that mall cash.

Pennybabie

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »

Not only does this stop skaters it also keeps the local poors out, we did it!  ;D >:(

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 07:24:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not only does this stop skaters it also keeps the local poors out, we did it!  ;D >:(

Wtf would you do with this thing other than skate it? Like it went from mostly useless to completely useless Lol I’m going to design some pedestrian stoppers later today and go around screwing them to benches, stair sets etc.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 07:29:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wtf would you do with this thing other than skate it? Like it went from mostly useless to completely useless Lol I’m going to design some pedestrian stoppers later today and go around screwing them to benches, stair sets etc.

The ironic thing is there is a person pushing towards the wooden bank on the design firm's website:

thebacker

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 07:41:31 AM »
instagram

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2021, 07:41:56 AM »
I find what works for me to stay hyped on skateboarding is

skate alone with headphones. I want to fully tune out the world around me and just enjoy skating.

no skateparks

Do not talk to anyone who doesn't skate about skateboarding. I do not want to hear how Rodney Mullen would have won gold in the olympics or how crazy Nyjahs instagram is.

Do not watch or read anything that I know will bum me out. I will not watch any movie that has anything to do with skateboarding, berrics, any major news publication, etc.

Don't film any clips

WoodRat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 07:58:22 AM »
The only thing bumming me out is not being able to find 52mm 99a radial slims. The rest comes and goes....always full circle and repeat. I pay it no mind.

mushroom slice

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »
Climate change

Fhk

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 08:30:47 AM »
Fuck. After reading this I'm depressed.