Author Topic: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now  (Read 25332 times)

Low standards

Re: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »
How people just shrug off sexual assault like it’s no big deal. It’s infuriating

Frank and Fred

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
-No Ace 8.75" Axle trucks
-The number of people who are super into the Olympics
-The obvious talent of Olympic skateboarders being reduced to a sanitized/ standardized bore-fest.
-Energy drinks.
-The lack of motivation of my old man friends.

Other than that I'm OK in my own little bubble.

Spunkchild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2021, 08:38:39 AM »
I love skateboarding, its one of the few things that makes me happier just by doing it.

The thing that depresses me most in skateboarding is the reality that not all skaters are good people, at all. Contending with a sexual assault allegation in a group of skaters is miserable (check any of the threads here) but its even worse when it's a person you thought you knew, doing it to another close friend.

I'm also really over getting vibed. I just want to skateboard. You literally do not have to talk to me just say hello at the start of the session you asocial freaks.
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 08:39:48 AM »
Expand Quote
My kickflips
[close]

my kickflips would like to have a word with your kickflips.
My kickflips are like fast food, just plain garbage and just like eating fast food when you see one you feel terrible.

bigbevev

• Rep: -14
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 08:53:00 AM »
Tik-tok or anything like that.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2021, 09:31:02 AM »
Sorry for bumming every body out.  This thread was just inspired by my trip to Love Park yesterday.  It was way more depressing than I was prepared for.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:47 AM »
there’s literally no reason to go to love now, it’s just a concrete hill full of bums.

nothing in skateboarding depresses me. social media etc is a social phenomena that depresses me- but that’s bigger then skating to me

LebowskisRug

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
The massive contradiction of skateboarding being an inclusive group of misfits united by a love of a sport and reality its a bunch of fraternities that have a very vague definition of acceptance that revolves around adopting the language, mannerisms, and uniform of a 17 year old that shoulder taps for beer.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »

This entire attitude

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »
Getting old. Specifically losing recovery time as I age. I used to bounce back so quick but seems like each bad slam puts me out for +1 month

Also fuck, work. Career shit, having to hustle hard on the clock for a bunch of assholes who vocally disapprove of anything I do that’s not work-related. I feel like i’m stuck in a closet for 50-60 hours a week, in more ways than one.

IpathCats

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2021, 10:25:06 AM »
Companies can’t just use whatever music they want to in their videos without impunity anymore.  Now we’ve got videos that disappear when their timed music licenses run out and parts set to generic, royalty-free muzak. 

I’m no expert on how all that works, but I wonder what potentially classic part + song combos we’ve missed out on because they couldn’t afford to pay for a particular song.

Yea, this is pretty lame tbh. I get it from a legal standpoint, but it really does change the whole feel of videos these days. I would probably feel better about it if it was up to the individual artists, but 99% of the time its just one of the 5 major media companies/record labels that is just dying to squeeze another penny from whatever they can. It would be interesting if there was like a split profit thing where youtube had deals with labels and the label could take a small percentage of the money your video made if it contained their song or something. idk, wishful thinking. I'm just gonna keep barging shit and never make any money off my demonetized youtube skate edits. I probably wouldn't get enough views to make money either way, so I'm at least gonna have sick music in there. fuck it.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2021, 10:26:46 AM »
there’s literally no reason to go to love now, it’s just a concrete hill full of bums.

nothing in skateboarding depresses me. social media etc is a social phenomena that depresses me- but that’s bigger then skating to me

I'm with you. I'm very happy skateboarding and have no desire to go on Instagram since i stopped using the app

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2021, 10:51:55 AM »
When you get funny looks because you don't wear the "right" clothes or doing the "wrong" tricks. It is at least better as 10 years ago, but still.

And I think more relatable skating should be featured nowadays, especially after the olympics. That you don't have to train in your gym to jump down some stairs.
IG: @flowterspace

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2021, 10:55:34 AM »
wasted talent. example, kb

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2021, 11:05:49 AM »
Landing primo

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2021, 11:13:19 AM »

Yeah, it's just gone.  It's like nothing is there.  I can't even wrap my mind around it.  It's not like it was a little spot like bubble banks or something.  They removed an iconic place for everyone and replaced it with like sand and stuff.  Not even a plaque. 

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »
Expand Quote
wasted talent. example, kb
[close]

you get depressed thinking about the lives of skaters you’ve never met?  couldn’t be me tbh
no i don’t get “depressed” about it. i’m sure a majority of the people posting stuff in this thread don’t get “depressed” about the things they’re posting, it’s just a shame when one of your favorite skateboarders don’t seem to give a shit and you know you probably won’t get many video parts from them when they could easily go down as one of the best skateboarders from this time period.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2021, 11:37:09 AM »
All we do and have ever done here is get depressed about the lives of skaters we'll never meet.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, it's just gone.  It's like nothing is there.  I can't even wrap my mind around it.  It's not like it was a little spot like bubble banks or something.  They removed an iconic place for everyone and replaced it with like sand and stuff.  Not even a plaque.

the ping pong tables are good to tag on and it’s a fun place to smoke weed downtown and watch bums, that’s pretty much it. this place is gonna be another soulless city with tic tac condos and axe throwing places in ~2 years. it’s heartbreaking. they did the same thing to city hall across the street some years ago too.

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2021, 11:42:44 AM »
I'm surprised this didn't come to mind immediately, but the fact that so many brands, many of which I really liked, are now made in China, meaning a lot of workers with a specific skill set got put out of work with really no other place to go.

I mean it's typical of almost any industry, and a lot of the products I have designed in my career had had components made in China, but it still sucks.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »

Most of the complaints here are really typical Slap whining about the culture moving on without them as they age into obscurity, but this is the kind of shit that we should really be bummed on (and something the OP laments). The transformation of public space into something openly hostile towards the public at large. It’s amazing that we don’t see the loss of these freedoms as equivalent to the loss of something like free speech or religious expression.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »
Also I’ve enjoyed the Olympics because the usual people I don’t like are annoyed at skateboarding because the skaters:
A) didn’t land enough tricks
B) had headphones in and looked at their phones
C) were chilling and cheering each other on, rather than consulting with their coaches and getting rubdowns between runs
D) (best of all) wore pants which were too baggy

Plus we finally saw a new generation of literal *girl* skaters who are going to push the game to insane new levels.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2021, 11:57:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Most of the complaints here are really typical Slap whining about the culture moving on without them as they age into obscurity, but this is the kind of shit that we should really be bummed on (and something the OP laments). The transformation of public space into something openly hostile towards the public at large. It’s amazing that we don’t see the loss of these freedoms as equivalent to the loss of something like free speech or religious expression.

This. I think that's a very important aspect of skateboarding : liberating spaces for public use. Should the world only be a playground for the wealthy and those who own everything, or should it belong to all of us?

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2021, 03:53:27 PM »
I’m so tired of tokens that aren’t good at skating that get placed over good skaters in the same demographic.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2021, 03:57:01 PM »
It’s really depressing how many skaters think that professional or sponsored skateboarding is or ever has been a meritocracy.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
How little I care about the current scene. Been skating for 23 years and I used to follow the scene religiously but in the last years I’ve been kind of over it. Not too many things catch my attention these days it seems. Even if skating’s as crazy and tech as it’s ever been, I could care less.

There’s a handful of skaters I follow and that’s it.

I sound like the world’s most jaded 32 year old right now.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »
How people just shrug off sexual assault like it’s no big deal. It’s infuriating
this is happening in my scene rn and I can’t even look at some of the people I used to hang with the same way

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2021, 05:45:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this is happening in my scene rn and I can’t even look at some of the people I used to hang with the same way

That sucks super bad

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2021, 07:39:12 PM »

what the fuck! Ruined my day. :-(

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated