Author Topic: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now  (Read 25334 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »
Overall, I'm happy whenever the younger dudes take skateboarding in a new direction.

I'm just bummed Borra and Dyrdek are still around with their kooky bullshit. Paved the way for the Olympics.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2021, 10:42:10 PM »
Most Depressing Thing? I'd say the Terry Kennedy of Baker thread just took the cake with it's latest turn of events

Unfortunately very true

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2021, 12:25:31 AM »
Not to derail the listing of grievances, but one thing that is way better now is all the rough cut footage that gets released.  I’ll often go back to rewatch a part after watching the rough cut (because I’m a fucking nerd) and Ill have a whole new appreciation for it.

Ok, back to bitching:

Enough with all the ride-on grinds already.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2021, 05:31:02 AM »
Lurker Lou summed it up best.

Looks like iron claw was trying to be cool

The irony is delicious

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2021, 05:34:39 AM »
he couldnt kickflip

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2021, 02:39:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Most of the complaints here are really typical Slap whining about the culture moving on without them as they age into obscurity, but this is the kind of shit that we should really be bummed on (and something the OP laments). The transformation of public space into something openly hostile towards the public at large. It’s amazing that we don’t see the loss of these freedoms as equivalent to the loss of something like free speech or religious expression.

I plan to gnar you in the future for this post.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »
Not to derail the listing of grievances, but one thing that is way better now is all the rough cut footage that gets released.  I’ll often go back to rewatch a part after watching the rough cut (because I’m a fucking nerd) and Ill have a whole new appreciation for it.

Ok, back to bitching:

Enough with all the ride-on grinds already.
Please give ride on grinds a second chance, they are the first ones ever done!  Do it for historical purposes please.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -128
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2021, 02:56:03 PM »
Cariuma.
big texas cummer

dustyassrocketswitchv

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2021, 03:08:35 PM »
political views in skateboarding
big texas cummer

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
The older I get, the more I realize that some of my favorite pros when I was young are actually kind of losers.

Opinionated B

• Rep: 2
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2021, 03:20:08 PM »
Most Depressing Thing? I'd say the Terry Kennedy of Baker thread just took the cake with it's latest turn of events

To be specific, Terry Kennedy is and always will be a gangbanger piece of shit, you can now add murderer to the list, of not only another black man but a also a friend and skateboarder.

skatred

• Rep: 3
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
Not sure anything can eclipse TKs recent bullshit. Fuck that dude.

Olympics does nothing for me but I don't care of people want to compete or enjoy it at a skater level. The coverage could do a whole lot more to share the history of this shit. To me it's more a ploy to get a younger demographic interested in the Olympics. I'm with Alva on the whole "they need us more than we need them" tip.

Personally it's just finding time to skate again and recovering from even minor slams in my 40's.
Nobody fades The Muska

UndesiredUsername

• Rep: 0
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
For me, it’s Corey Glick being stuck on Foundation.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2021, 08:54:05 PM »
mental illness

Apealien

• Rep: -10
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2021, 12:58:27 AM »
All we do and have ever done here is get depressed about the lives of skaters we'll never meet.

Don't meet your favorite skater. They'll let you down.
   -Frank Gerwer
Eggplant boneless roast beef melon blunt tic tac

norcalnobody

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2021, 01:17:47 AM »
going to slap message boards to let out a shitty rant rather than going out and learning a new trick

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2021, 01:55:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Most of the complaints here are really typical Slap whining about the culture moving on without them as they age into obscurity, but this is the kind of shit that we should really be bummed on (and something the OP laments). The transformation of public space into something openly hostile towards the public at large. It’s amazing that we don’t see the loss of these freedoms as equivalent to the loss of something like free speech or religious expression.
[close]

I plan to gnar you in the future for this post.

It's crazy the amount of effort and money people put into making things unskateable. 

dustyassrocketswitchv

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2021, 02:29:37 AM »
coming from the heart as a relatively younger skater (19 but educated from slap for years) the most depressing thing is people using skating as a way to seem cool and not to have fun. legit conversation i had with someone recently was about how i havent seen him skating recently and his excuse was it was too hard. i got mad cause its hard for everyone and u cant do it if you cant accept being shit for a bit. this is hard for some to deal with and is why its fun. my park is full of insta tik tok kids skating for the "aesthetic" and i dont want anything to do with it.
big texas cummer

dustyassrocketswitchv

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2021, 02:30:03 AM »
or cariuma
big texas cummer

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2021, 04:45:25 AM »

I might be wrong but weren't these wood benches installed for people to chill on?

That won't be possible with those metal skatestoppers on so the things have lost their purpose, right?

::)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

T4T

• Rep: 8
  • fake and lame
    • My Youtube avatar image
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2021, 05:14:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Companies can’t just use whatever music they want to in their videos without impunity anymore.  Now we’ve got videos that disappear when their timed music licenses run out and parts set to generic, royalty-free muzak. 

I’m no expert on how all that works, but I wonder what potentially classic part + song combos we’ve missed out on because they couldn’t afford to pay for a particular song.
[close]

Yea, this is pretty lame tbh. I get it from a legal standpoint, but it really does change the whole feel of videos these days. I would probably feel better about it if it was up to the individual artists, but 99% of the time its just one of the 5 major media companies/record labels that is just dying to squeeze another penny from whatever they can. It would be interesting if there was like a split profit thing where youtube had deals with labels and the label could take a small percentage of the money your video made if it contained their song or something. idk, wishful thinking. I'm just gonna keep barging shit and never make any money off my demonetized youtube skate edits. I probably wouldn't get enough views to make money either way, so I'm at least gonna have sick music in there. fuck it.

I just barge it for my Skate (3 for the xbox 360) edits. Sucks that they can run ad's on something I spent hours making but :/ thats life
schoolteachers can get paid $100k when they get a collab with dragonball

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2021, 05:31:17 AM »
Not having good shoes in my prime… vans pros specifically. Or the skate or whatever their new thing is.

An old back injury that I can’t seem to get the feeling in my legs back from.

Parks with fences.

Not enough 95d wheels.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2021, 09:05:58 AM »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2021, 09:14:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Not only does this stop skaters it also keeps the local poors out, we did it!  ;D >:(
[close]

Wtf would you do with this thing other than skate it? Like it went from mostly useless to completely useless Lol I’m going to design some pedestrian stoppers later today and go around screwing them to benches, stair sets etc.
[close]

The ironic thing is there is a person pushing towards the wooden bank on the design firm's website:

Me and the homie actually pulled up to this spot as the dudes were knobbing it. I think he said its some facebook office or something. Fuck Zuck
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2021, 10:00:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Not only does this stop skaters it also keeps the local poors out, we did it!  ;D >:(
[close]

Wtf would you do with this thing other than skate it? Like it went from mostly useless to completely useless Lol I’m going to design some pedestrian stoppers later today and go around screwing them to benches, stair sets etc.
[close]

The ironic thing is there is a person pushing towards the wooden bank on the design firm's website:

[close]

Me and the homie actually pulled up to this spot as the dudes were knobbing it. I think he said its some facebook office or something. Fuck Zuck

Yea, Facebook leases the whole space, but who knows who made the call to actually knob it. Cushman & Wakefield is the commercial real estate firm that represents the design firm, so I'm not sure who would be financially responsible for maintaining the structures. I reached out to the design firm, but never heard anything back.

Those "skateboarding is not a crime, but property damage is" already kinda pointed out there was a divide in understanding what skateboarding is. It's not just a method to get from point A to point B. It's also a method to interact with human built structures along the way, especially when they are placed along a public pathway that is used by people walking, running, bicycling, skateboarding, etc... I'm not what the expected outcome was.

Just came across this ad campaign by Facebook:
https://www.creativereview.co.uk/facebook-olympics-skateboarding-advertising/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AzdRko09s
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:10:08 AM by tkp »

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »
Josiah losing his life  :(

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2021, 12:20:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I might be wrong but weren't these wood benches installed for people to chill on?

That won't be possible with those metal skatestoppers on so the things have lost their purpose, right?

::)
Crazy part is they just created a bunch of trip hazards in an otherwise lol place for people to enjoy.

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »

They have more than enough money to upkeep these things Wtf is their problem this is embarrassing!  >:( >:( >:(

Yea, Facebook leases the whole space, but who knows who made the call to actually knob it. Cushman & Wakefield is the commercial real estate firm that represents the design firm, so I'm not sure who would be financially responsible for maintaining the structures. I reached out to the design firm, but never heard anything back.

Those "skateboarding is not a crime, but property damage is" already kinda pointed out there was a divide in understanding what skateboarding is. It's not just a method to get from point A to point B. It's also a method to interact with human built structures along the way, especially when they are placed along a public pathway that is used by people walking, running, bicycling, skateboarding, etc... I'm not what the expected outcome was.

Just came across this ad campaign by Facebook:
https://www.creativereview.co.uk/facebook-olympics-skateboarding-advertising/

What a cruel joke..

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
I'm 2 months into a long injury rehab so I'm kinda losing it. Hard to sleep when ur not skating lol. If anything skating being "cool" now mean it will probably be uncool again soon which will be fun

I have an injury that is't serious but keeps coming back.
so frustrating.
Every time I think it is healed it rears its head.
anyone ever had a super high anke sprain ? its like my shin that hurts in the front and where it connects to foot
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

mushroom slice

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2021, 01:43:57 PM »
Wut up emos
The most depressing thing in
The entire universe is
Inside the internet.
Skateboarding isn’t what all the other kooks on this planet are doing with it. It’s what you are doing with it. Make skate boarding yours.
It’s not depressing to skate. It’s fun. It’s magic
It’s a way to figure out what it all is. it is  way to escape from all the other weirdos on this planet fucking the vibe up. 
Don’t be spoiled little brats and find shit to cry about.  love the thing skate boarding actually is. It’s not all the depressing shit you guys are talking about. That’s just life or culture or some thing that is not skateboarding. Skateboarding is what you do with a skateboard.