Author Topic: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now  (Read 25480 times)

TheDraught

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »
Not depressing: recently I ended up at the house of a Iranian 60 year old guy who lives with a Russian 30 year old blond bombshell in Barcelona, to buy some good value Rimowa suitcases.

His house was a mess and in one corner I spot an old deck with worn griptape. Kind of like a reflex I pick it up, to see what board it is. It's a JART Salabanzi. One of my all time favorites, and I ask the guy how he got it.

He tells me his son skates and used to see Bastien often at MACBA, and he gave or sold him this board one time.

So I am holding a board Salabanzi once skated, while a Russian chick and an Iranian guy are arguing in broken English over the price of the suitcases.

That day was better than most days.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2021, 04:29:36 AM »
Probably is how quickly parts are forgotten. People work hard, spend months battling for a couple seconds in a line or a single trick, and then everyone forgets just like that in the sea of content we have right now.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2021, 04:33:42 AM »
Probably is how quickly parts are forgotten. People work hard, spend months battling for a couple seconds in a line or a single trick, and then everyone forgets just like that in the sea of content we have right now.

this is true

nothing is memorable and nobody gives a shit

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -215
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2021, 04:40:36 AM »
Not depressing: recently I ended up at the house of a Iranian 60 year old guy who lives with a Russian 30 year old blond bombshell in Barcelona, to buy some good value Rimowa suitcases.

His house was a mess and in one corner I spot an old deck with worn griptape. Kind of like a reflex I pick it up, to see what board it is. It's a JART Salabanzi. One of my all time favorites, and I ask the guy how he got it.

He tells me his son skates and used to see Bastien often at MACBA, and he gave or sold him this board one time.

So I am holding a board Salabanzi once skated, while a Russian chick and an Iranian guy are arguing in broken English over the price of the suitcases.

Homie, you gotta get you phone out and document these kinds of interactions, sounds like a classic

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2021, 04:58:10 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm 2 months into a long injury rehab so I'm kinda losing it. Hard to sleep when ur not skating lol. If anything skating being "cool" now mean it will probably be uncool again soon which will be fun
[close]

I have an injury that is't serious but keeps coming back.
so frustrating.
Every time I think it is healed it rears its head.
anyone ever had a super high anke sprain ? its like my shin that hurts in the front and where it connects to foot

Yo! I can't stress this enough, but if an injury seems minor but keeps reoccurring please treat it seriously.  Chronic injuries are serious. A muscle strain/sprain/weakness might not feel as severe as fracturing or breaking a bone but if you don't address it and let it heal properly it can take you out more frequently. See a pyshical therapist if you can. Once you think it has healed again, maybe wait even longer to get back on your board while consulting a professional and ease back in.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2021, 05:39:00 AM »
This msg board is by far the  worst thing for skating . The misery of the humans here is down right disgusting . Especially newbies who act as though have contributed to something positive . I come here for the threads unrelated to skating where the people with some sense of reality are .

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2021, 05:54:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Homie, you gotta get you phone out and document these kinds of interactions, sounds like a classic

This is all I got.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2021, 07:30:07 AM »
This msg board is by far the  worst thing for skating . The misery of the humans here is down right disgusting . Especially newbies who act as though have contributed to something positive . I come here for the threads unrelated to skating where the people with some sense of reality are .

If all the people who who bitch about how awful slap is stopped posting on slap there wouldn't be anyone left on slap.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2021, 11:45:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If all the people who who bitch about how awful slap is stopped posting on slap there wouldn't be anyone left on slap.
Gnarred for defining the term literal.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2021, 11:47:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this is true

A world-class part has the same or less life as a viral Karen video or whatever. That is truly sad.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »
revive

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
home town heroes who skate the local park (never street) and film eachother and put it on the gram , oblivious to the whole culture , clicking up and never expanding their horizons , bummer for them and there's a lot of them 
" I did not say this I am not here"

LURKIN RENOIR

« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2021, 12:42:22 AM »
People/companies who want kids to buy expensive clothing and make them believe its skateboard culture.

Supreme, palace etc.

Gonz dressing in childrens clothing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:53:57 AM by LURKIN RENOIR »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2021, 01:16:53 AM »
People/companies who want kids to buy expensive clothing and make them believe its skateboard culture.

Supreme, palace etc.

Gonz dressing in childrens clothing.

Gnar'd
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2021, 01:17:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This is all I got.

Wow
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2021, 03:00:08 AM »
I would imagine the sea of content problem is ubiquitous these days.  Not sure how to fix it re: video parts, but I will say that slap is good at highlighting past parts I might have missed or forgotten about.  Maybe we could have a "part of the week" film analysis club to bring them up and break them down.

Spirit

• Rep: -20
  • Personal Text
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2021, 06:06:44 AM »
Cariuma, Shyte and The Berrics downfall.

Lisa96

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2021, 06:31:04 AM »
i think it's depressing i have little to no desire to pick up my board and skate a spot/park. i don't want to get hurt because i have a job that requires my arms and legs.. i'm such a coward.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2021, 07:15:05 AM »
Switch mongo is now frowned upon.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
i think it's depressing i have little to no desire to pick up my board and skate a spot/park. i don't want to get hurt because i have a job that requires my arms and legs.. i'm such a coward.
skate minimal impact stuff. still fun

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is true

[close]

A world-class part has the same or less life as a viral Karen video or whatever. That is truly sad.
I get the nostalgia for parts that were culture defining and all that. However, with how assessible skate footage is now and how little people linger on big production value industry parts, I found myself paying more attention to parts and ig accounts of my local scene . I find this to be somewhat of a positive side of the oversaturation of skate media.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2021, 12:54:25 PM »
I would imagine the sea of content problem is ubiquitous these days.  Not sure how to fix it re: video parts, but I will say that slap is good at highlighting past parts I might have missed or forgotten about.  Maybe we could have a "part of the week" film analysis club to bring them up and break them down.

FA/Hockey has it right, don't have your pros posting a clip of a banger every 8 hours on Instagram.

The only way to win is not to play.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2021, 12:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is true

[close]

[close]
I get the nostalgia for parts that were culture defining and all that. However, with how assessible skate footage is now and how little people linger on big production value industry parts, I found myself paying more attention to parts and ig accounts of my local scene . I find this to be somewhat of a positive side of the oversaturation of skate media.

I am old enough to feel the same way, and you can extrapolate that about basically every aspect of our culture. Movies, music, TV shows no longer define our broad monoculture; everything is micro-targeted and written by a handful of wealthy children whose entire worldview is crafted in a bubble on Twitter. I lament the loss, but there's no real way to complain about it without just being an old guy yelling at a cloud.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »
TK for killing another skateboarder

Ed Templeton not skateboarding anymore bums me out too

Bam Fan 69

• Rep: 5
  • Veil Scaloppini
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2021, 01:02:00 PM »

Sorry Chief

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is true

[close]

[close]
There's a lot of things I don't like about the social media oversaturation. But, I do think it is rad how a skater doesn't need to live in a hub like the Bay Area, SoCal, Philly/NYC/DC area for a pro to have a viable career. 10 years ago it would have been very difficult to be a pro Toronto or Montreal, you had to move to Van or the States. Now DeBobby is one of the bigger pros around with great sponsors filming essentially in Toronto mostly, and the Dime guys are getting hooked up really well. Compared to 10 years ago where DC wouldn't put Morgan Smith on unless he moved to the States. Or Justin Henry super hooked up still living in Columbus. Or how popular the Palace and Atlantic drift guys are compared to Blueprint was sort of underground during its existence.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is true

[close]

[close]
[close]
There's a lot of things I don't like about the social media oversaturation. But, I do think it is rad how a skater doesn't need to live in a hub like the Bay Area, SoCal, Philly/NYC/DC area for a pro to have a viable career. 10 years ago it would have been very difficult to be a pro Toronto or Montreal, you had to move to Van or the States. Now DeBobby is one of the bigger pros around with great sponsors filming essentially in Toronto mostly, and the Dime guys are getting hooked up really well. Compared to 10 years ago where DC wouldn't put Morgan Smith on unless he moved to the States. Or Justin Henry super hooked up still living in Columbus. Or how popular the Palace and Atlantic drift guys are compared to Blueprint was sort of underground during its existence.

Definitely a huge advantage to the new reality of internet skateboarding, especially since there are probably fewer than 50 young pro skaters who could actually afford California real estate on a pro skater's earnings. I get that the industry is centered on the West Coast, but it makes so much more sense that these guys stay where they are from and build stoke and hype for their companies outside of the bubble of LA/SD skateboarding. I bet Gilbert Crockett moves a lotta decks in and around Richmond, VA - ditto for Malto in KC.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is true

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Definitely a huge advantage to the new reality of internet skateboarding, especially since there are probably fewer than 50 young pro skaters who could actually afford California real estate on a pro skater's earnings. I get that the industry is centered on the West Coast, but it makes so much more sense that these guys stay where they are from and build stoke and hype for their companies outside of the bubble of LA/SD skateboarding. I bet Gilbert Crockett moves a lotta decks in and around Richmond, VA - ditto for Malto in KC.

I can confirm. I see tons of people rocking Quasi and Vans in Virginia just because of Gilbert.

People that don’t even actually skate, but appreciate skateboarding wear Crockett 2’s in Richmond

LostBearings

• Rep: -6