Author Topic: Skate Scenes In Australia  (Read 2129 times)

I Can't Think

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Skate Scenes In Australia
« on: August 01, 2021, 01:12:04 AM »
TL;DR: moved to Australia, currently staying with family in Brisbane. What are the skate scenes like in other cities/places? I might be moving for post-grad stuff later so I'm very curious.

Moved to Aus (dual citizenship let me get in during covid). Currently staying with family in Brisbane. Parks here are pretty solid (Paddo, Brakenridge, Jindo, Acacia, Nerang if you wanna drive), but there doesn't seem to be many street spots from what I've found so far (I did see a few ledges at UQ but it seems high bust?). The people here are great though, overall super friendly, and cost of living for a major city is pretty good, so those are some big pros.

I'm primarily interested in hearing about Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Adelaide. Normally I'd just go visit and scope out the places myself, but given the situation with covid I've just gotta ask around for now. I've heard Melbourne is the skate mecca of Aus. Good parks, plus you have the iconic museum/IMAX spot (but it seems like that got capped again?) and you have uni square with lots of ledges to skate all around that area of the city. I'm not aware of another city in Aus that has anything equivalent where there's a plaza in the city that's chill to skate? Overall Melbourne sounds pretty sick from what I've heard, although I've also heard the people can be a bit pretentious?

Sydney is obviously another major skate destination in Aus. It's supposed to have some great parks and I imagine the spots are pretty good there as well? Dunno if they have a plaza to meetup like Melbourne though. I have been told by a lot of people here in Brisbane that the people in Sydney are stuck up cunts lol, dunno if that applies to the skaters though.

I know very little about Perth or Adelaide, I've just been told the people are friendly in Perth and that Adelaide can be a bit boring, but this is just info from a few people so it's not really representative. Oh, and I know nothing about Canberra either.

Basically, if anyone has any info on skating in parts of Australia I'm all ears.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
Re: Skate Scenes In Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 01:32:50 AM »
You'll get sick of the smaller cities like Adelaide and Perth pretty quickly if you're into going out a bunch or being social around the city but they're good for a visit. Melbourne and Brisbane are definitely my preferred spots and both probably have the best skate scenes. Brisbane ultimately has better skating weather all year round and I think rent is very reasonable as far as Australian cities go. Melbourne's skate and social groups can be very cliquey but if you show your face a bunch you'll still make friends pretty easily. There's street spots everywhere and cops and security are generally ok if you don't be a dick to them. You can just jump on trams and look for spots all day if you want. Sydney is fine, but for some reason I always found trouble in the city so I stay away plus the nightlife is dreadful.

I Can't Think

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 02:11:14 AM »
You'll get sick of the smaller cities like Adelaide and Perth pretty quickly if you're into going out a bunch or being social around the city but they're good for a visit. Melbourne and Brisbane are definitely my preferred spots and both probably have the best skate scenes. Brisbane ultimately has better skating weather all year round and I think rent is very reasonable as far as Australian cities go. Melbourne's skate and social groups can be very cliquey but if you show your face a bunch you'll still make friends pretty easily. There's street spots everywhere and cops and security are generally ok if you don't be a dick to them. You can just jump on trams and look for spots all day if you want. Sydney is fine, but for some reason I always found trouble in the city so I stay away plus the nightlife is dreadful.

Thanks a ton for the info mate. Mind elaborating on what made Sydney dreadful for you? I'm really curious cause almost EVERYONE I've talked to has had something awful to say about Sydney in terms of living there. The only time I've had someone talk about Sydney positively recently was my cousin who enjoyed doing her masters at Usyd, and a Canadian friend who visited there before covid as a tourist. Other than that everyone seems to dislike it. Also you make a really good point with the weather, how bad can the weather get for skating in Melbourne compared to Brissy? I suppose another option would be doing skate trips to Melbourne and living in Brissy. Hopefully I can visit and see for myself if I really like it there. Thanks again for the info mate, really helpful.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 05:05:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks a ton for the info mate. Mind elaborating on what made Sydney dreadful for you? I'm really curious cause almost EVERYONE I've talked to has had something awful to say about Sydney in terms of living there. The only time I've had someone talk about Sydney positively recently was my cousin who enjoyed doing her masters at Usyd, and a Canadian friend who visited there before covid as a tourist. Other than that everyone seems to dislike it. Also you make a really good point with the weather, how bad can the weather get for skating in Melbourne compared to Brissy? I suppose another option would be doing skate trips to Melbourne and living in Brissy. Hopefully I can visit and see for myself if I really like it there. Thanks again for the info mate, really helpful.

I hate to generalize because i've had good times there too, but I found Sydney to have a bit of an uptight vibe. I've had to get out of dodgy situations where someone wanted to fight me a handful of different times so that's certainly soured my outlook on the city aswell hahaha. I like cities with flourishing music and art communities and just didn't enjoy Sydney's but I haven't been there for two years now. I can't really comment on the skate scene there though, also the cost of living is really high. You'll definitely meet good people there and I would still check it out for sure. But yeah, it just doesn't feel as casual as other Australian cities.

Melbourne has colder weather and wet winters where the temperature drops from about April through to September/November. There's still endless days to go skate and have a good session but Brisbane is pretty much nice all year until it gets too hot in the middle of summer. If you don't have a car and still want to look for spots Melbourne has the best public transport for casually cruising around and getting to places.

All in all I think you'll have the best time where you can find a decent social network and not blow most of your money on essentials.

I Can't Think

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 05:50:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I hate to generalize because i've had good times there too, but I found Sydney to have a bit of an uptight vibe. I've had to get out of dodgy situations where someone wanted to fight me a handful of different times so that's certainly soured my outlook on the city aswell hahaha. I like cities with flourishing music and art communities and just didn't enjoy Sydney's but I haven't been there for two years now. I can't really comment on the skate scene there though, also the cost of living is really high. You'll definitely meet good people there and I would still check it out for sure. But yeah, it just doesn't feel as casual as other Australian cities.

Melbourne has colder weather and wet winters where the temperature drops from about April through to September/November. There's still endless days to go skate and have a good session but Brisbane is pretty much nice all year until it gets too hot in the middle of summer. If you don't have a car and still want to look for spots Melbourne has the best public transport for casually cruising around and getting to places.

All in all I think you'll have the best time where you can find a decent social network and not blow most of your money on essentials.

Perfect, this answered everything I needed to know. Really appreciate it!

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 10:39:13 PM »
Im a sydney boy and i welcome you with open arms, i think our spots and parks are great, generally the vibe is good BUT i also know everyone is going to back what they know and where they are from. As a teenager growing up skaring the city every weekend was the best time of my life.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 11:24:30 PM »
There’s a whole bunch of spots in greater Brisbane area where are you like north south east or west side
Have you ever gone to the city for a roll there’s a shitload of stuff mate

Brackos heaps good though and paddos sick
How goods that pump track next to bracko
Zillys got the good ledges manny pad and China bank grounds getting a bit fucked these days tho

Edit

What about that fat diy in mt g haven’t been this psyched about one since milton
listen to cosmic psychos

louie the taurus

• Rep: -119
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 10:26:09 AM »
I for one have had the best time of my life while living in Sydney. I'm European and spent about 7 months there in 2016/17.
The nightlife is dreadful if you don't know the right people and places. There's great warehouse parties or outdoor doofs for example.
I found the skate scene pretty cool and welcoming, made a lot of friends who I am luckily still in touch with.
Massive shout out to @nowell, who took me under his wing via SLAP. Miss ya heaps, fool!

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 04:54:22 AM »
Up until recently I lived in Melbourne for around 15 years and always loved it. Covid has fucked stuff up a bit I imagine but Melbourne is awesome for skating, music, art, food, parks and is much more multicultural than any city in Aus other than Sydney.

Sydney is a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there. It's so expensive and it has a different vibe to Melbourne. The beaches are good though compared to Melbourne.

Whilst Sydney is a beautiful city, I would pick Melbourne if I were in your position. Look around the inner city suburbs/middle band if you can- Fitzroy, Collingwood, Brunswick, Coburg, Footscray, Yarraville, Northcote etc are all cool suburbs with lots to do and are well connected to public transport. All these suburbs would have plenty of share houses and skaters living nearby if that's your vibe 
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

I Can't Think

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 01:42:31 AM »
Im a sydney boy and i welcome you with open arms, i think our spots and parks are great, generally the vibe is good BUT i also know everyone is going to back what they know and where they are from. As a teenager growing up skaring the city every weekend was the best time of my life.

Ayyyy, good to know. Sounds like the skaters are chill which is what counts

There’s a whole bunch of spots in greater Brisbane area where are you like north south east or west side

Zillys got the good ledges manny pad and China bank grounds getting a bit fucked these days tho

Edit

What about that fat diy in mt g haven’t been this psyched about one since milton

A buddy of mine just put me on to the DIY around mt g so I'll have to peep. Tbf I think my view of bris was unfairly skewed since I was staying in browns plains for a while with mates who didn't skate and we only went around like, st lucia and queen street mall lmao. I need to get out and look around basically, I'm just keen for some ledges in the streets. Bracko looks fucking sick, I just need to make the journey up there. Never even heard of Zillys until now so thanks for all the info mate

I for one have had the best time of my life while living in Sydney. I'm European and spent about 7 months there in 2016/17.
The nightlife is dreadful if you don't know the right people and places. There's great warehouse parties or outdoor doofs for example.
I found the skate scene pretty cool and welcoming, made a lot of friends who I am luckily still in touch with.
Massive shout out to @nowell, who took me under his wing via SLAP. Miss ya heaps, fool!

Again I'm hearing the skaters are chill, just gotta watch out for cunts at night lmao, good to know

Up until recently I lived in Melbourne for around 15 years and always loved it. Covid has fucked stuff up a bit I imagine but Melbourne is awesome for skating, music, art, food, parks and is much more multicultural than any city in Aus other than Sydney.

Sydney is a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there. It's so expensive and it has a different vibe to Melbourne. The beaches are good though compared to Melbourne.

Whilst Sydney is a beautiful city, I would pick Melbourne if I were in your position. Look around the inner city suburbs/middle band if you can- Fitzroy, Collingwood, Brunswick, Coburg, Footscray, Yarraville, Northcote etc are all cool suburbs with lots to do and are well connected to public transport. All these suburbs would have plenty of share houses and skaters living nearby if that's your vibe

Really appreciate the info. A lot of this comes down to what unis I get into and how covid goes but this is super helpful if I end up in Melb, really appreciate all the info in this thread :)

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 11:15:51 PM »
You probably worked it out already but I meant zillmere skatepark it’s near b ridge
It’s tiny but it’s a decent park
No shit one arvo I saw lawrie do thirteen big spin front blunts in a row on that flatbar
Cunts fucked

But for street honestly just get off at fortitude valley and skate back towards exhibition station
You’ll have a good time and it’s a funner skate than Bowen hills to valley

Next time get off at valley, skate up to red tile you’ll like that one and you’ll see hella spots on your way
Want some history go to central go upstairs to that little plaza
Apparently Tony hawk and lance sessioned those vert walls in the 80’s, I always got told as a kid Tony blunt fakied those banks but I dunno bro

Edit they’re not banks at all dunno why I said that
Brick vert walls with about half a foot of transition
There’s a bench in the way now but they were sick
listen to cosmic psychos

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 06:18:28 AM »
Personally always found people from Melbs to be the worst. But I'm from Syd so sounds like I'm probably the problem.

Has nothing to do with skating (altho I feel like a skater worked on it with some of themusic and locations) but there's a show called "Mr inbetween" the gives a really good representation of what Sydney feels like.(excluding some extreme scenarios)

Problem with Sydney is the city itself is kinda small but the Sydney area is massive so if you don't have a car or aren't wanting to drive around a lot it gets old pretty quick

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 02:29:40 AM »

With lockdowns continuing down south, it might be a good thing if you are still here in Brisbane.

Not sure if you are still around, but if you needed someone to help get around or skate with, I am pretty lazy on a board nowdays, but always down to skate somewhere.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

I Can't Think

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 05:16:36 AM »
You probably worked it out already but I meant zillmere skatepark it’s near b ridge
It’s tiny but it’s a decent park
No shit one arvo I saw lawrie do thirteen big spin front blunts in a row on that flatbar
Cunts fucked

But for street honestly just get off at fortitude valley and skate back towards exhibition station
You’ll have a good time and it’s a funner skate than Bowen hills to valley

Next time get off at valley, skate up to red tile you’ll like that one and you’ll see hella spots on your way
Want some history go to central go upstairs to that little plaza
Apparently Tony hawk and lance sessioned those vert walls in the 80’s, I always got told as a kid Tony blunt fakied those banks but I dunno bro

Edit they’re not banks at all dunno why I said that
Brick vert walls with about half a foot of transition
There’s a bench in the way now but they were sick

Thanks a ton for the info mate. My mates who don't skate just talk about the valley for clubbing but if there's spots I'm keen to check it out. I'll see if I can find this Tony Hawk spot too lol, also front blunt is already fucking sick so that's nuts

Personally always found people from Melbs to be the worst. But I'm from Syd so sounds like I'm probably the problem.

Has nothing to do with skating (altho I feel like a skater worked on it with some of themusic and locations) but there's a show called "Mr inbetween" the gives a really good representation of what Sydney feels like.(excluding some extreme scenarios)

Problem with Sydney is the city itself is kinda small but the Sydney area is massive so if you don't have a car or aren't wanting to drive around a lot it gets old pretty quick

I'll have to peep the show. Also I'm sure this is all subjective in terms of the types of people so no worries lol. Thanks for the tips on the city mate, luckily I have a car so if I end up there at some point that'll help.

With lockdowns continuing down south, it might be a good thing if you are still here in Brisbane.

Not sure if you are still around, but if you needed someone to help get around or skate with, I am pretty lazy on a board nowdays, but always down to skate somewhere.

Yup still here, I'm just doing some courses at uni since not everything from my bachelors in Canada transferred, so I'm in Brissy for at least a year. I usually skate Jindo (when I have free time). I'm keen to skate once I work through some coursework bs

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 08:41:05 PM »

Edit

fuck oath that pump track at bracko was mental when I first hit it up, sad to hear about zilly getting rougher that was always a good spot

been in sydney for a year doing my master's at USYD and while the uni is tight Sydney just isn't as good as I remember it before I moved away and ultimately to Brissy.

Everything feels high bust here and the nightlife is just plain dreadful (when we have it). Skaters are tight just like anywhere but there are a shitton of pretentious cunts, kinda like Melbourne. City parks are pretty slick right now but I miss the vibe of Brisbane heaps. There are spots everywhere and the city feels so small that it's easy to traverse. Basically a slappy spot on every corner, sweet parking garages and bombing through the city is always a good time.

There are a few little chill DIY spots around the gabba still, but the braino has on and off been a bust for years now. 

I miss the days when slimeys wasn't completely fucked to skate haha

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 12:19:29 AM »
Three of the homies used to live in this sharehouse on railway tce just across tracks from braino
Just like at different times like the room got passed around lol
No shit these uni cunts would pull computers and random medical porno shit like speculums out of the dumpster while we were skating

I heard the deal with that was some French cunt owned it and the council resumed like 80% of his land for the drain and then came back at him and said cunts are skating your property and we need you to say you’re not down and he told them va te faire foutre aussi or whatever, my French sucks

It was a sick house they would have bands come and play downstairs it was mad

If you go up the hill from Dutton park traino there’s a fun as shit hill to Fairfield I remember we did it one night tripping and it was foggy as shit like you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face
listen to cosmic psychos

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 05:07:55 PM »
I live in regional Aus but enjoy my local scene - but also enjoy being a recluse.

I lived in Sydney and Canberra for a bit when I was younger.

I think of Canberra as Skate City. At least it was when I was there, because it's small {which i find very appealing} it's not at all hard to link into who's skating. I never got busted/kicked out skating anywhere ever. There was hardly anything skate stopped. Heaps of parks as well as spots. Didn't have any negative experiences with any skaters being too cool or cunts. In fact was very welcomed by everyone I ever met down there. I know some of the south side kids thought the Shifty's guys were too cool, but that was not my experience at all. I don't know, I haven't been back for many years, but I think Canberra is a fucking awesome city with an awesome skate scene and it's super close to Sydney if being around a fuck load of people means something to you.

Just thought I would try to comment on Canberra being that no one else really has.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 07:12:55 PM »
dont move to canberra if you dont have a car
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 07:36:24 PM »
dont move to canberra if you dont have a car

that's a very fair point. i did not own a car at the time and got by with a lot of lifts and spent a bunch of time waiting at bus stops and catching awkward buslines that didn't always quite get me where i really wanted to go.

i don't know, i guess it's because i don't live in a city but i would not advise living in australia and not owning a car.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »

I don't know, i guess it's because i don't live in a city but i would not advise living in australia and not owning a car.

Yeah there is no public transport out where I am so if I didn't have my own car, it would certainly be the dealbreaker for living here.

When I used to work in Brisbane CBD, there were so many people (skaters and others) around there that didn't have a car, as they could live up in the Paddington suburbs, shops fairly close by for groceries, skate where ever they wanted to go, or get bus or train to most places, etc.

It is a totally different way of life, but some people get by.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
You can more than easily get by in the cities without a car. The things chew your money away anyway and it's better for you to ride and/or catch trains and buses. I've only done it in Melbourne and Sydney though.

It's handy if you plan to move a lot though that's for sure and you have better chances at finding employment.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 10:19:45 PM »
Expand Quote

I don't know, i guess it's because i don't live in a city but i would not advise living in australia and not owning a car.
[close]

Yeah there is no public transport out where I am so if I didn't have my own car, it would certainly be the dealbreaker for living here.

When I used to work in Brisbane CBD, there were so many people (skaters and others) around there that didn't have a car, as they could live up in the Paddington suburbs, shops fairly close by for groceries, skate where ever they wanted to go, or get bus or train to most places, etc.

Lol I had to move to cbd when focused the van
Even though everything is close it’s fucken shit walking your groceries through the city
Don’t even get me fucken started on pushing a site box through the city

Cunts look at you real weird ay and hills can be risky

Never drink driving again but I can’t anyway lol they made me get the interlock and also pay for it
Fucken batphone looking thing you gotta blow in to start the motor
Cunts

Edit

I meant to just say I agree, you need a vehicle
listen to cosmic psychos

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Even though everything is close it’s fucken shit walking your groceries through the city

Never drink driving again but I can’t anyway lol they made me get the interlock and also pay for it
Cunts

Edit

Aussie gold right there!

Or should I say, Oi yeah Straya!!!

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 11:41:18 PM »
Three of the homies used to live in this sharehouse on railway tce just across tracks from braino
Just like at different times like the room got passed around lol
No shit these uni cunts would pull computers and random medical porno shit like speculums out of the dumpster while we were skating

I heard the deal with that was some French cunt owned it and the council resumed like 80% of his land for the drain and then came back at him and said cunts are skating your property and we need you to say you’re not down and he told them va te faire foutre aussi or whatever, my French sucks

It was a sick house they would have bands come and play downstairs it was mad

If you go up the hill from Dutton park traino there’s a fun as shit hill to Fairfield I remember we did it one night tripping and it was foggy as shit like you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face

Fuark was that on vulture street? I remember seeing Oslow at a house show in like 2015 one night choofed. It was sick. A bunch of my mates live in the gabba so we would terrorise the hills around there. Poured some concrete up on top of the bike path near the motorway where the asphalt bank is only to find it ripped out in like three days when we went back to session it.

I know the hill down to fairfield you're talking about, fuckin mental ride down it's sick

can't wait to escape from the south and come back up, I miss all the homies

Yup still here, I'm just doing some courses at uni since not everything from my bachelors in Canada transferred, so I'm in Brissy for at least a year. I usually skate Jindo (when I have free time). I'm keen to skate once I work through some coursework bs

My advice: stay in Brisbane, it's better. Also there are some sweet hills to bomb in St Lucia, like eighth avenue and onwards.

Expand Quote

[close]

old paddo photo has me tearing up

I Can't Think

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 02:28:40 AM »
So I ended up getting into Usyd, meaning I'm headed to Sydney in Febuary.

I had the option to go to some other unis in Melb (swinburne la trobe, monash) but family said it's probably a smarter call to go to the fancier school in the long term? Anyways I'm taking the offer. Melbourne seems to have better street spots (like IMAX), but Sydney has so many sick parks all near the usyd campus (fernside, glebe, that lil tech park, etc.) whereas in melbourne has riverside and box hill is a bit further away, plus there seems to still be some sick bench spots around green square?

Obviously I'm tryna make Sydney seem like the better choice since that's where I'll probably end up for reasons outside of skateboarding. So if anyone wants to fill me in on the scene or tell me I'm making a big mistake (skating or school wise) it'd be much appreciated

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 02:49:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Cunts

Edit

Man, how much does the interlock suck!!! It’s fucking expensive too. I had pizza and other foods set it off while I was driving and shut the car down. Fuckers.

Canberra has the best living conditions in Australia. One of the best skate scenes easy and THE worst night life ever. I’ve had a gang of friends move to the big cities but they always come back.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 03:35:57 AM »

I had the option to go to some other unis in Melb (swinburne la trobe, monash) but family said it's probably a smarter call to go to the fancier school in the long term? Anyways I'm taking the offer. Melbourne seems to have better street spots (like IMAX), but Sydney has so many sick parks all near the usyd campus (fernside, glebe, that lil tech park, etc.) whereas in melbourne has riverside and box hill is a bit further away, plus there seems to still be some sick bench spots around green square?

Obviously I'm tryna make Sydney seem like the better choice since that's where I'll probably end up for reasons outside of skateboarding. So if anyone wants to fill me in on the scene or tell me I'm making a big mistake (skating or school wise) it'd be much appreciated

I mentioned this earlier and sorry for repeating myself, but Sydney is the most expensive city in the country so keep that in mind. There's no point sweating the decision though really as you'll have cool experiences anywhere simply due to being a skateboarder. What are your interests/activities outside of skating? Might give us a better idea on what useful info we can share with you

I Can't Think

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 08:09:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I mentioned this earlier and sorry for repeating myself, but Sydney is the most expensive city in the country so keep that in mind. There's no point sweating the decision though really as you'll have cool experiences anywhere simply due to being a skateboarder. What are your interests/activities outside of skating? Might give us a better idea on what useful info we can share with you

Yeah I'm aware unfortunately, I've got school covered but cost of living is gonna be rough. Currently looking for places near the uni that aren't too brutal on the wallet. Besides skating I produce/make beats, play a lot of videogames (smash bros, siege, currently replaying P3), I enjoy weightlifting to try and stay fit, and I'm a pretty big weeb lmao. I like to think I'm pretty social so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to meet people?

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 07:09:46 PM »
You will enjoy sydney my dude, im sure you will make friends at Uni for sure and if not hit me up and we can down a beer, my mrs is canadian and missing home like crazy, maybe a fellow canadian will soothe that haha

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

I Can't Think

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 08:49:15 PM »
You will enjoy sydney my dude, im sure you will make friends at Uni for sure and if not hit me up and we can down a beer, my mrs is canadian and missing home like crazy, maybe a fellow canadian will soothe that haha

Ayyyy perfect! Thanks, definitely takes the edge off. Moving to a new country, then again to a bigass city has me nervous but this really helps!