Author Topic: Most Cringey Skater Freakouts  (Read 7075 times)

norcalnobody

Most Cringey Skater Freakouts
« on: August 02, 2021, 04:59:15 AM »

Anybody else see people act like this in real life? There's this one kid at my local who always focuses his board and screams after not landing his flip tricks off a 3 ft ledge.

Hinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
Re: Most Cringey Skater Freakouts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 05:06:14 AM »
i guess kerry getz but hes owned up to it sorta. this one always makes me laugh

alecjahr

• Rep: -109
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 05:26:55 AM »
Kooked

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 05:48:37 AM »
Who was it that had a super embarrassing video of them as a kid spitting in a dude’s face at a skate park? It was someone who went on to be successful and scrubbed the video from the internet.

Speaking of scrubbed freakout videos: there was a really bad one of David Gravette melting down about not landing a trick that I can’t find anywhere. I have vague memories of it coming from Thrasher and featuring a curved ledge. But it was humiliating and made me lose respect for the dude. If anyone can find this, please post it.

It’s just skateboarding, people. Sure I’ve been frustrated while skating, but in all my years I’ve never even considered throwing or breaking my board. I do this for fun, and if it’s not fun anymore I try a different trick or stop skating for the day. I don’t act like a child.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 63
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 05:53:25 AM »
Who was it that had a super embarrassing video of them as a kid spitting in a dude’s face at a skate park? It was someone who went on to be successful and scrubbed the video from the internet.

Speaking of scrubbed freakout videos: there was a really bad one of David Gravette melting down about not landing a trick that I can’t find anywhere. I have vague memories of it coming from Thrasher and featuring a curved ledge. But it was humiliating and made me lose respect for the dude. If anyone can find this, please post it.

It’s just skateboarding, people. Sure I’ve been frustrated while skating, but in all my years I’ve never even considered throwing or breaking my board. I do this for fun, and if it’s not fun anymore I try a different trick or stop skating for the day. I don’t act like a child.

It is just skateboarding, and meant to be for fun.
But on a professional level when trying to achieve something that go on to part of your output (cover photo, video part trick, even an editorial or a trick for a shoe advert) I understand it a little more.
I just don’t need to see loads of it.
I don’t mind seeing aspects of someone’s “battle” documented but there  is a limit. I don’t like being in person present for it in any way.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 06:24:27 AM »
Rhino @ home depot

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 06:36:20 AM »

Is it this? Maybe dude just freaks out everywhere.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 06:44:56 AM »
i guess kerry getz but hes owned up to it sorta. this one always makes me laugh

Hugo Balek ! If you have not you should listen to his bunt interview, the guy is super funny. Also He tells the whole story, why he was that mad and how he mase some money of it.
check my music

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 06:49:00 AM »
Rhino @ home depot

That was some kook of the year material. Has he never heard of repairing things?

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 06:54:12 AM »
There's probably a solid hour of Gravette wigging out at spots throughout his b-sides/rough cuts and I'm here for all of it. There's nothing funnier then watching someone who's naturally funny throwing a bitch fit tantrum. You can tell quite often the cameraman's laughing to himself during Gravette's episodes.

I understand it to an extent, a lot of skaters have to get hype to huck down big stuff or step to big rails. Especially pros where there's actual money/sponsorship on the line and they're expected to produce.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »
First half of Jerry hsu’s stay gold part.

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 107
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 09:02:41 AM »

Pretty sure the spitting grom you're referring to is David Loy.

Brguy

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
Gravette has the thing on his waist to worry about too, imagine if any slam could dislocate your whole shit and you can't even roll because it makes it worse.

MR102889

• Rep: 30
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty sure the spitting grom you're referring to is David Loy.

Speaking of David Loy...

In the other YouTube videos of David Loy's "The Beginning" part, they edited out the intro. Can see why as it's embarrassing. Glad I found one which still had it.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »

Disagree, those freakouts are pure pathos. The dude was missing skateboarding so bad that he was willing to skate switch to accommodate a knee injury, filming an impressive part and enduring those slams in the process.  That part is, to borrow a phrase, a love letter to skateboarding from one of its favorite sons. Nothing cringey about that, imo.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 09:30:13 AM »
Rhino @ home depot

This.

But, I understand the frustration at times and I am guilty of focusing my shit when I was younger. (Now that I have to pay for shit, I don't focus my shit anymore. Hell, I won't skate an asphalt park cause I don't want to get razor tail for a park session.)

Skateboarding is frustrating and scary as all hell sometimes. It makes sense that after trying the same trick for 2 hours we might lose our cool or that our emotions might be ramped up while we try to convince ourselves to jump off something scary that will likely result in injury if something goes wrong.

However, some of the meltdowns are embarrassing as it is like a kid having his first beer who is super "drunk." It's just playing pretend to fit the image of AVE or some other pro.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 09:37:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Disagree, those freakouts are pure pathos. The dude was missing skateboarding so bad that he was willing to skate switch to accommodate a knee injury, filming an impressive part and enduring those slams in the process.  That part is, to borrow a phrase, a love letter to skateboarding from one of its favorite sons. Nothing cringey about that, imo.
I completely get what you’re saying but half the part is a bit much. At a certain point it get awkward and hard to watch. Also, I don’t think Jerry himself freaking out is cringey. Him being so emotional makes sense. I just think deciding to make two minutes of the part him screaming and crying is a bit cringey.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 09:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I completely get what you’re saying but half the part is a bit much. At a certain point it get awkward and hard to watch. Also, I don’t think Jerry himself freaking out is cringey. Him being so emotional makes sense. I just think deciding to make two minutes of the part him screaming and crying is a bit cringey.

Take that up with Miner, I'm just going to bat for Jerry given the background of that part. 

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 12:22:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Take that up with Miner, I'm just going to bat for Jerry given the background of that part.

That's one of my favorite parts. It really epitomizes skateboarding. It's a concept part that was sure to be done sooner or later (starting with the bails/struggle, ending with the triumphs) and I think it was kind of right situation with the right people involved to make it the best version of that part possible.

That part should be in the library of Congress.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »
I can't find the clip but Austin Seaholm focusing his Tampa trophy while on the course was pretty sick

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 12:34:20 PM »
Someone post that gravette rough cut from a while ago, it’s beyond cringe you can’t not feel for the filmer by the end.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »
me. i always feel like such a bitch when i do it, but it feels so good to get the anger out

Fuuuuuuu

• Rep: -6
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »
Dudes are skateboarding some pretty gnarly stuff.
https://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/cursing-and-pain-relief/

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 03:09:38 PM »
It’s totally learned behaviour. It started appearing in Skateboard videos at some point and then impressionable young kids emulate the tv skater man.

It’s the same with kids freaking out while playing fortnite because they watch these YouTube retards spazzing out over stupid video games and they copy the behaviour.

What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

pro club blanks

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 03:46:37 PM »
I remember being young and one of my friends freaking out, throwing his board, trying to focus it then eventually succeeding

These older Brazilian dudes who had been killing it and looked happy the entire time saw it and shook their heads, one of them said  "why would you purposefully break your own board?"in the most peaceful, almost soothing tone, my friend didnt really seem phased, i felt a wave of secondhand embarassment and shame

I can imagine they grew up skating some rough setups and the visceral reaction to seeing kids wreck their own almost pristine few week old setups to be pretty jarring

Stuck with me for years, it really doesnt make sense

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »
I saw Mike York skate one of the big Euro contests once, must have been 2000 or 2001 or so.

He totally fucked up his run and then threw the biggest temper tantrum I have seen in my life, both skaters and non-skaters in my life, and 20 years later still remains unsurpassed.

He focused his board, then walked for iirc for about 10 minutes around the stadium, cursing, screaming, smashing his board (or at least what was left of it) on the floor or throwing it against walls.

All this while at least 8000 skaters (also many kids and parents) were watching, I saw a mother with a couple of young kids (8 - 9 years old probably) leave the stadium.

People would probably now say it was "cringe" but I felt bad for him, he always struck me as a fun loving, easy going kind of guy.

In the light of recent events, at least the crowd didn't make fun of him.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it this? Maybe dude just freaks out everywhere.

I actually love how wild the drama is in this - it’s a mental grind and the type of rail not many people would dare try

Pretty Serious

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 04:25:46 PM »
Damn ass rock

Magnolia

• Rep: 440
  • She/They
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 06:50:15 PM »
Damn ass rock
This is the pinnacle of skate freakouts. The skater's pain and anguish is perfectly accompanied by the filmer's no-nonsense explanation of what went down. I'm not sure if it's actually gay to pee on a rock, but Austin seemed to know what he was talking about.
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 07:54:43 PM »
Gravette, always wins...anyone have a link to him at Andy Macs skatercross course or whatever the fuck?

EDIT: found it: