Author Topic: Most Cringey Skater Freakouts  (Read 7034 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: Most Cringey Skater Freakouts
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2021, 08:32:17 PM »
I saw Mike York skate one of the big Euro contests once, must have been 2000 or 2001 or so.

He totally fucked up his run and then threw the biggest temper tantrum I have seen in my life, both skaters and non-skaters in my life, and 20 years later still remains unsurpassed.

He focused his board, then walked for iirc for about 10 minutes around the stadium, cursing, screaming, smashing his board (or at least what was left of it) on the floor or throwing it against walls.

All this while at least 8000 skaters (also many kids and parents) were watching, I saw a mother with a couple of young kids (8 - 9 years old probably) leave the stadium.

People would probably now say it was "cringe" but I felt bad for him, he always struck me as a fun loving, easy going kind of guy.

In the light of recent events, at least the crowd didn't make fun of him.

He must have been walking around with yayo all up in his nasal and must have been crazed, yo.

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
I can't find the clip but Austin Seaholm focusing his Tampa trophy while on the course was pretty sick
The account that hosted the video was terminated but the GIF lives on

EDIT: Some context, straight from the man himself
i had the most consistent run of any skater at that conest. landed every trick in my run and was doing more tech stuff. i get that Tony was skating fast as hell and that it was impressive but i could've done all of that. mad political shit goes on at SPOT and i wasnt that tight with many of the influential dudes there so felt like the contest wasnt judged fairly. throwing the trophy was immature as fuck but if you apply street league rules or really any standard contest rules to my runs i should've won. tony won because of his image. not to take anything away from tnt he fuckin rips but i shouldve won that damn contest.
ableSkateMag.com

mareo

• Rep: -336
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 01:42:25 AM »
Expand Quote
I can't find the clip but Austin Seaholm focusing his Tampa trophy while on the course was pretty sick
[close]
The account that hosted the video was terminated but the GIF lives on

EDIT: Some context, straight from the man himself
Expand Quote
i had the most consistent run of any skater at that conest. landed every trick in my run and was doing more tech stuff. i get that Tony was skating fast as hell and that it was impressive but i could've done all of that. mad political shit goes on at SPOT and i wasnt that tight with many of the influential dudes there so felt like the contest wasnt judged fairly. throwing the trophy was immature as fuck but if you apply street league rules or really any standard contest rules to my runs i should've won. tony won because of his image. not to take anything away from tnt he fuckin rips but i shouldve won that damn contest.
[close]

Fucking legend

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2021, 03:02:33 AM »
I remember being full of myself snowboarding, trying to float a bs 3 indy over the biggest jump in the park around 94 (so not that big, haha).

I took it so seriously, and although I floated a nice one that people cheered, I didn’t get the grab and made a big display of how pissed off I was that I could have done better, taking off my board and acting like a big baby.

I felt so wierd, that I forced that performance, basically for my audience, that I resolved never to do that again.

Soon after I learned to laugh at my mistakes, the more embarrassing, the bigger the laugh. It’s helped me a lot and made my whole experience much more enjoyable.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2021, 04:02:57 AM »
I have a similar snowboarding story:
I was a cocky sponsored skateboarder in 97’ who never snowboarded before in my entire life. 30 minutes in, and halfway down the pro slope eating shit and cussing the whole way down, I took the board off my feet and the board got away from me. I subsequently chased the board down the whole rest of the slope yelling “watch out!!” “Incoming board!!” to all the parents and children in harms way. I never snowboarded again.
ableSkateMag.com

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 05:41:57 AM »
A few years ago at an indoor park this kid I know kept messing up on switch heels on flat and eventually erupted screaming "I'M A STREET SKATER"! (in his case, the streets were an outdoor park)

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 06:12:28 AM »
frisbee throw a tampa trophy out of righteous anger. hilarious boss move

ive def had some cringe anger moments. idk i dont get along with most people irl. not abrasive or anything but also not trying to appease anyone. these days i just walk away and get over it. not worth paying mind to theres way more frustrating shit out there
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:27:57 AM by Hinna »

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 06:30:12 AM »
"Most [Adorable] Skater Freakouts"?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2021, 06:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
First half of Jerry hsu’s stay gold part.
[close]

Disagree, those freakouts are pure pathos. The dude was missing skateboarding so bad that he was willing to skate switch to accommodate a knee injury, filming an impressive part and enduring those slams in the process.  That part is, to borrow a phrase, a love letter to skateboarding from one of its favorite sons. Nothing cringey about that, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9HPWjbQCgg

yes to the above, "pure pathos" indeed...i never know whether to worry or laugh (or both) when i see and hear this

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2021, 07:16:57 AM »
https://youtu.be/i0GXj5pFpLU?t=2022
This definitely isn't the most cringe-inducing, but I've always loved the intro to AO's Fully Flared part.
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2021, 08:12:55 AM »
This clip of Rob Dyrdick is beautiful

https://youtu.be/7GDzzbXZhw0

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2021, 08:18:26 AM »

Suprised it took 2 pages for this one to pop up.

suckmadeck

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2021, 08:26:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love when supposedly large Media Networks censor swearing. Also shout out to Greg Hunt for dealing with this fool

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2021, 08:52:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I love when supposedly large Media Networks censor swearing. Also shout out to Greg Hunt for dealing with this fool

If he doesn’t act like he’s about to throw his board, he faces the camera and grabs his junk, or turns away and spreads his butt. Fascinating.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2021, 09:00:54 AM »

suckmadeck

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 09:04:38 AM »

It’s just skateboarding, people. Sure I’ve been frustrated while skating, but in all my years I’ve never even considered throwing or breaking my board. I do this for fun, and if it’s not fun anymore I try a different trick or stop skating for the day. I don’t act like a child.

Yeah, it’s almost as though for a pro it’s their job and livelihood, and for you it is not.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »

Nothing hits like a board that won’t focus after hours of behaving like a diaper baby.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2021, 09:54:25 AM »
I used to be that kid when i was young and immature
I get mad still for sure, its super rare, but never to the point of breaking a board, i think i did that once when i was 16 and thats probably the only time i did it

It is frustrating when it seems like you know you can do something in your mind for sure but there is just some small part not working out exactly how you need it to. anything that isnt just riding around for the most part and doing straight ollie on requires so much precision in often a non ideal environment. so of course its easy to get mad when you try something a billion times and its just not working.

i think it is best to focus on staying safe and if the trick doesnt happen today it wasnt meant to be and i am okay with not getting the clip. it is better to live to fight another day and try it again / different spot

i really look up to people who seem to never get rattled by negativity. keeping a positive attitude throughout many failed attempts. dont complain or shit talk people. never get so mad that theyd even show it
ONTARIO CANADA

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2021, 11:37:37 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4NUrF_C7YQ

at least the gravette one above is justified, trying the same kink rail for hours or days would be brutal. But raging over a fun little no comply flip line and some of the "fun" tricks he's doing in this is brutal.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
A few years ago at an indoor park this kid I know kept messing up on switch heels on flat and eventually erupted screaming "I'M A STREET SKATER"! (in his case, the streets were an outdoor park)
Did you honor his STREET pass?

mushroom slice

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
I never try hard enough to get mad. I guess. I’m my own boss and if I can’t make the thing happen at that moment I’m not gonna get mad. I’m gonna chill. Go try something else cuz that’s gotta be more fun then getting mad. Also the skateboard is a friend. Maybe even a best friend for life kinda thing. Who beats their friend up like that?

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »
where's the clip of the guy smashing his board on the fence repeatedly like trying to cut it in half lol

no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2021, 01:47:30 PM »
where's the clip of the guy smashing his board on the fence repeatedly like trying to cut it in half lol

Wecking Ball?

Maybe it was because he looks like McLovin but I always found the start of this part cringe
https://youtu.be/zW4skaxqE3Q
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »
I never try hard enough to get mad. I guess. I’m my own boss and if I can’t make the thing happen at that moment I’m not gonna get mad. I’m gonna chill. Go try something else cuz that’s gotta be more fun then getting mad. Also the skateboard is a friend. Maybe even a best friend for life kinda thing. Who beats their friend up like that?
e

This.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 01:53:06 PM »
I always thought AVE in the beginning of the DC video was a bit cringe, especially when he's hitting his board against the pole repeatedly. But then he made up for it with that fucked up part.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
cringing at the fact that i used to think it was somewhat cool depending on who did it smh

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 02:00:28 PM »

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2021, 02:46:44 PM »
For some people it's a part of the process. I love melt down footy, especially when they get it. Like Gravette with that kinked rail. That shit is beyond gnarly and you're risking life and limb so whatever it takes to get you in the zone.