Author Topic: fashion and image is pointless  (Read 4199 times)

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
Re: fashion and image is pointless
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
Expand Quote
If you’re old enough to remember the 90s and the 00s eras of skating, you’re too old to make posts like this
[close]

I was born in 1999 and started skating in 2010. All the history is on the internet. I'm a skate nerd. I know my shit.

Fair enough. At least it’s not nostalgic.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
Tight pants
Loose pants
Low tops
High tops
T shirt
Button down
Formal
Leisure

There’s no denying that a Fedora can be worn with any clothes and will surely be the icing on the cake for any outfit you choose.

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 10:12:31 AM »
this is the same spiel i always give people when they ask about the floral short shorts and rubber rain boots i skate in
Same gear I wear stay safe bro.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »
I can deal with whatever fits a skater decides to wear unless its skin tight pants. Pants are the exception because it is literally unavoidable when watching someone skate.

Trilogy

• Rep: -257
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 10:29:43 AM »
thread started is naive, sadly he live in a world where image is more important than results 80% of the time.

donkey

• Rep: -66
  • donk
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2021, 11:45:13 AM »
nothing really matters man. go outside and do a kickflip and you'll feel better  :P

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »

IpathCats

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2021, 11:57:30 AM »
I get what you're saying, but they do play a role. If the same person filmed the same trick twice, executed perfectly both times, but he dressed nicely or with some amount of fashion in one of them, that clip would look better compared to the one were he's dressed like a friggin jabroni.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2021, 12:06:45 PM »

I wonder how they turned out.

I say this, due to the 2 older-than-me girls in my town that actually skated... stayed super cool and also financially successful. One is an artist and the other is a marketing boss for a huge company

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2021, 12:07:35 PM »
If you really take a closer look, it has always been like that. Or do you think Greco wore the fits he wore because it was comfy or functional?

The only real difference between now and then, is that everybody show how shallow they are through their social media.

Try to stay away from your phone, or just social media, and you'll understand my point.

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »
Expand Quote
If you’re old enough to remember the 90s and the 00s eras of skating, you’re too old to make posts like this
[close]

I was born in 1999 and started skating in 2010. All the history is on the internet. I'm a skate nerd. I know my shit.
22 years old is still too old to be making posts like this.  This is literally how everything runs more or less.  Most people have learned to accept this by high school.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

pro club blanks

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
Sounds like scrub talk

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »
I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already other than the fact that skateboarding is so big nowadays that if there's an aspect of it you don't like, then with minimal effort you can avoid it.
You don't like the cool fashion kid scene, so avoid videos from Supreme and other similar crews.

Even when I was living in NYC the last couple years I'd say more than half the kids I saw at skateparks were wearing regular clothes.

I'm almost 30, but honestly I love all the weird fashion I see in skating. It keeps things interesting, and I just think it's cool to see kids do their thing and have fun with it.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2021, 01:25:36 PM »
If skateboarding really was a meritocracy based on skill alone, suburban kids from California on Dwindle/Powell flow who still wear skinny khakis and tie-dye t-shirts and have been skating perfect skateparks since they were toddlers would be on top of the game.

Thank God it's not like that. Just because you can flip in and out of everything on any obstacle doesn't mean that your skateboarding is inherently worth watching. Same is true with gear/spots. Past a certain point you have to be at least decent on a skateboard even with the "coolest" gear and best spot selection.

It's all a balance.

gabbesucks

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2021, 01:25:52 PM »
Am I the only one that feels like people are too obsessed with image nowadays and how people dress. I hear people saying "ah man this dude has the sickest style" but they will be talking about his clothes not the way he skates. Any body can throw on a pair of cool clothes and act like their hot shit but not everyone will actually have a skill set these days on the board.

I also get that skating is a creative outlook for some people, sort of an art and people want to express themselves but if your favorite skater is only your fav cuz of how they dress how would you feel if they changed their wardrobe. Would hesh skaters dig nyjah if he wore dickies and flannels and only skated nyc or sf.

I'm not super stoked on skating being a total jock thing now. I loved a lot of skate eras from the 90s and 2000s where things were more new and original. It just seems like personality is not needed in skating as much anymore. If you really like a skater for there character is it the skating that you like or just them as a person. There's a lot of false importance it seems that some of these skaters are given for having certain narcissistic attitudes or egos when there are skaters who are quieter but better than them.

Yes you are the only one

Lisa96

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2021, 01:41:00 PM »
Sammy Baca's hesh fits were incredible, i can back a good look

Lisa96

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2021, 01:55:58 PM »
backing the cholo kit too

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2021, 01:59:27 PM »
If skateboarding really was a meritocracy based on skill alone, suburban kids from California on Dwindle/Powell flow who still wear skinny khakis and tie-dye t-shirts and have been skating perfect skateparks since they were toddlers would be on top of the game.

Thank God it's not like that. Just because you can flip in and out of everything on any obstacle doesn't mean that your skateboarding is inherently worth watching. Same is true with gear/spots. Past a certain point you have to be at least decent on a skateboard even with the "coolest" gear and best spot selection.

It's all a balance.
this is sensible. i could be happy skating in a blank tshirt and jeans for the rest of my life though

Lisa96

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 02:03:15 PM »
i don't wear hoodies, beanies or hats. my dickies are tailored, my pendleton is crispy as is my expensive white tee i bought from crockett's shop, y'all fuckin with me?

norcalnobody

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »
Expand Quote

It's all a balance.
[close]
this is sensible. i could be happy skating in a blank tshirt and jeans for the rest of my life though

That's my fit along with adidas matchbreaks

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »
i don't wear hoodies, beanies or hats. my dickies are tailored, my pendleton is crispy as is my expensive white tee i bought from crockett's shop, y'all fuckin with me?
Only if your tattoo sleeves are full of tasteful American traditional joints that you can somehow afford along with your surprisingly expensive clothes and daily iced coffee/cigs/weed habit while complaining about how broke you are and asking your homies to spot you when the crew goes out for dinner after a long day of skating in the city.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »
this is objectively the worst take on skateboarding that has ever been conceived. 

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2021, 02:21:30 PM »
this is objectively the worst take on skateboarding that has ever been conceived.

Yeah, one could easily defend the position that fashion and image are basically the entire justification for skateboarding and the only reason it has even persisted in the first place. 

wilk

• Rep: -2
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote

It's all a balance.
[close]
That's literally how I dress, I don't own much with logos besides a couple shirts and hoodies. I shop at places like Uniqlo, basics...only thing I'm critical of is quality and how it fits, and it's great...I don't have to think about choosing clothes anymore. I hope skinny jeans/pants go away...not because how they look but because how they function, I don't get how people can deal with how constricting those pants are and I don't know how or why I dealt with it, and I think they'd have a better time in loser fitting pants, I mean hardly anybody who skates wears them anymore. When I wore them I actually started to have hip issues while skating... I'd ollie and my right hip would like pop or grind, then at the end of the session on the way home sitting in my car I'd have like pain in that area that would last for days. It wasn't until I went to loser fitting pants that it stopped. Ntm there have been studies done about how I'll fitting skinny jeans can actually be bad for your health depending on how bad they fit.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247826#1
https://www.mensjournal.com/style/skinny-jean-dangers/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blackdoctor.org/the-dangers-of-sagging-pants/%3famp

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2021, 02:44:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It's all a balance.
[close]
[close]
That's literally how I dress, I don't own much with logos besides a couple shirts and hoodies. I shop at places like Uniqlo, basics...only thing I'm critical of is quality and how it fits, and it's great...I don't have to think about choosing clothes anymore. I hope skinny jeans/pants go away...not because how they look but because how they function, I don't get how people can deal with how constricting those pants are and I don't know how or why I dealt with it, and I think they'd have a better time in loser fitting pants, I mean hardly anybody who skates wears them anymore. When I wore them I actually started to have hip issues while skating... I'd ollie and my right hip would like pop or grind, then at the end of the session on the way home sitting in my car I'd have like pain in that area that would last for days. It wasn't until I went to loser fitting pants that it stopped. Ntm there have been studies done about how I'll fitting skinny jeans can actually be bad for your health depending on how bad they fit.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247826#1
https://www.mensjournal.com/style/skinny-jean-dangers/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blackdoctor.org/the-dangers-of-sagging-pants/%3famp
After a year and a half of kinda being in my own world due to remotely working through the pandemic, I was out running errands and I was really struck by how overweight most of this country is, and it seems the biggest people wear the skinniest jeans.

Kinda funny how skateboarding ATM is full of rail-thin kids running the goofy boy costume from the 90s, and the rest of American men are trying desperately to squeeze their rotund bodies into too-small shirts and skinny jeans like sausages.

Bozo Dubbed Over

• Rep: 1
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2021, 03:20:19 PM »
I can't find it but there's an amazing shopped picture of nyjah wearing polar big boy pants and other more trendy clothes and it's the best. Hope somebody has it
Damn I need this

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1195
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2021, 03:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I can't find it but there's an amazing shopped picture of nyjah wearing polar big boy pants and other more trendy clothes and it's the best. Hope somebody has it
[close]
Damn I need this
i have it but don’t know how to post a picture of it from my phone. if either of you have ig i can dm it to you

actually
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 03:31:53 PM by versacekid420 »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1217
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2021, 03:29:49 PM »
@norcalnobody shut up and post a drippy fit
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »
how else are you supposed to signal to fellow high schoolers that you don’t like traditional team sports?