Author Topic: fashion and image is pointless  (Read 4170 times)

norcalnobody

fashion and image is pointless
« on: August 02, 2021, 06:15:13 AM »
Am I the only one that feels like people are too obsessed with image nowadays and how people dress. I hear people saying "ah man this dude has the sickest style" but they will be talking about his clothes not the way he skates. Any body can throw on a pair of cool clothes and act like their hot shit but not everyone will actually have a skill set these days on the board.

I also get that skating is a creative outlook for some people, sort of an art and people want to express themselves but if your favorite skater is only your fav cuz of how they dress how would you feel if they changed their wardrobe. Would hesh skaters dig nyjah if he wore dickies and flannels and only skated nyc or sf.

I'm not super stoked on skating being a total jock thing now. I loved a lot of skate eras from the 90s and 2000s where things were more new and original. It just seems like personality is not needed in skating as much anymore. If you really like a skater for there character is it the skating that you like or just them as a person. There's a lot of false importance it seems that some of these skaters are given for having certain narcissistic attitudes or egos when there are skaters who are quieter but better than them.

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
Re: fashion and image is pointless
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 07:24:51 AM »
c'mon it's not so bad.

put some new pants on and have some fun.

the world can be horrible.

make some fun.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 07:29:56 AM »
this is the same spiel i always give people when they ask about the floral short shorts and rubber rain boots i skate in

mushroom slice

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 07:31:17 AM »

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 07:34:33 AM »
Just buy a mickey papa board

Pango

• Rep: -30
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 07:43:53 AM »
Just do you, I still wear skinny jeans because I like the way it looks and that's all that matters

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 07:52:51 AM »
Am I the only one that feels like people are too obsessed with image nowadays and how people dress. I hear people saying "ah man this dude has the sickest style" but they will be talking about his clothes not the way he skates. Any body can throw on a pair of cool clothes and act like their hot shit but not everyone will actually have a skill set these days on the board.

I also get that skating is a creative outlook for some people, sort of an art and people want to express themselves but if your favorite skater is only your fav cuz of how they dress how would you feel if they changed their wardrobe. Would hesh skaters dig nyjah if he wore dickies and flannels and only skated nyc or sf.

I'm not super stoked on skating being a total jock thing now. I loved a lot of skate eras from the 90s and 2000s where things were more new and original. It just seems like personality is not needed in skating as much anymore. If you really like a skater for there character is it the skating that you like or just them as a person. There's a lot of false importance it seems that some of these skaters are given for having certain narcissistic attitudes or egos when there are skaters who are quieter but better than them.

You mean if he was a completely different skater? Yeah, probably. Suggesting he not only change his clothes but start skating completely different spots is a bit different than just pure fashion

How can you say 'there's no personality in skating anymore' and then lament people having their own unique looks which are reflections of their personality? You don't even know what you're lamenting against

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:57:14 AM »

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 08:04:45 AM »
Hey man I'm just out here trying to stay beautiful  :-*

thebacker

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 08:06:41 AM »
idk about you but im tryna look drippy in my kr3w k slims and all over printer full zip kr3w hoodie with the DOPE reynolds 3's (diamonds still in obvi)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 08:18:30 AM »
Things were original to you then....probably because you were young....now you are old....surprise! 

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 08:21:33 AM »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »
c'mon it's not so bad.

put some new pants on and have some fun.

the world can be horrible.

make some fun.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 08:31:58 AM »
Fashion and image IS pointless...

...but so is skateboarding.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
Fashion and image IS pointless...

...but so is skateboarding.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
I can't find it but there's an amazing shopped picture of nyjah wearing polar big boy pants and other more trendy clothes and it's the best. Hope somebody has it

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 08:45:57 AM »

norcalnobody

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 08:56:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You mean if he was a completely different skater? Yeah, probably. Suggesting he not only change his clothes but start skating completely different spots is a bit different than just pure fashion

How can you say 'there's no personality in skating anymore' and then lament people having their own unique looks which are reflections of their personality? You don't even know what you're lamenting against

I just think some people are too obsessed with them selves if you know what I mean. some people are glamorized in the skate industry for having a certain character trait. Then there are people who are really good who can do crazy tech shit like people in street league or the olympics but they're sorta hated on for being too good. I guess its because people want their sub cultures and music tastes or something to match with their favorite skater. They don't always have to be the most skilled to be likable I guess. Again just saying that some skaters are more liked for their character.

Let me try and put it into perspective. What if Nyjah dressed and acted like ben kadow and went to all those spots in triple backflip and crushed him. showed up every trick in the video added in a flip or spin out whatever.  Would ben kadow still be cool?

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just think some people are too obsessed with them selves if you know what I mean. some people are glamorized in the skate industry for having a certain character trait. Then there are people who are really good who can do crazy tech shit like people in street league or the olympics but they're sorta hated on for being too good. I guess its because people want their sub cultures and music tastes or something to match with their favorite skater. They don't always have to be the most skilled to be likable I guess. Again just saying that some skaters are more liked for their character.

Let me try and put it into perspective. What if Nyjah dressed and acted like ben kadow and went to all those spots in triple backflip and crushed him. showed up every trick in the video added in a flip or spin out whatever.  Would ben kadow still be cool?

Dude, it's cool.  We were all 12 and lamented about how Harry Potter was more popular than "actually good" literature, or how the popular music was nowhere near as good as "real music".  We get it.

Just don't be so loud about it.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 09:02:22 AM »
If you’re old enough to remember the 90s and the 00s eras of skating, you’re too old to make posts like this
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lisa96

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »
It’s not pointless if you’re a pro, kids will gravitate towards the people they think look cool, marketing baby

norcalnobody

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 09:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude, it's cool.  We were all 12 and lamented about how Harry Potter was more popular than "actually good" literature, or how the popular music was nowhere near as good as "real music".  We get it.

Just don't be so loud about it.

We did???

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 09:06:50 AM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

norcalnobody

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 09:08:11 AM »
It’s not pointless if you’re a pro, kids will gravitate towards the people they think look cool, marketing baby

Hey kids! look at me Im not that great of a skater but I do drugs! Worship me and lick my asshole! Buy my board!

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 09:14:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey kids! look at me Im not that great of a skater but I do drugs! Worship me and lick my asshole! Buy my board!

Lol. Are you barely realizing that’s how it’s always been?
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 09:20:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you just figuring out that skateboarding encourages and markets bad behavior and poor life choices in order to keep up the youthful facade that old vert pros use to sell toys to children?

Lisa96

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »
Ugh..

norcalnobody

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 09:22:30 AM »
If you’re old enough to remember the 90s and the 00s eras of skating, you’re too old to make posts like this

I was born in 1999 and started skating in 2010. All the history is on the internet. I'm a skate nerd. I know my shit.

norcalnobody

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 09:26:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are you just figuring out that skateboarding encourages and markets bad behavior and poor life choices in order to keep up the youthful facade that old vert pros use to sell toys to children?

Yeah i finally decided to grow up a couple days ago and stop being delusional. I still live with my mom and dad tho