Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40907 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1110 on: February 02, 2023, 02:32:08 AM »
Hangman vs Mox was like a stereotype of a mox match. They're relying on the brawl through the crowd before the match technically starts thing way too much and it feels lazy. It's not as egregious as the bleeding, but its close. Went way too long and I hated the finish. No one should be kicking out of the buckshot on a free TV match. I don't know if that's supposed to be the end of the feud but i kinda hope so just so Hangman can move on to something else.

Takeshita already feels like excess baggage. Please don't put him in a full feud with MJF, that would be yet another example of bringing a champ down rather than elevating a challenger.

Thatcher looks fucking great. Such a great, vicious, old school heel. He does so many little things that make it seem like a real fight that you don't see as much these days. I enjoy the exaggerated facials and thought he played his role perfectly. He's an actual throwback rather than someone who makes that their gimmick but still wrestles like a modern dude (looking at you FTR) so it would be cool to see him signed but I have zero idea where you put him so it's probably for the best if he isn't.

Jade looked great as usual, but I just didn't care about the match. At what point is AEW going to learn that giving someone a win on dark is not a build? They do this all the time... Give a jobber a win that most of the audience doesn't see or care about after months or years of losing and then a week later they're in a championship match and we're supposed to take it seriously. Now they're doing it with the women because they've run out of people for jade to beat.

Joe and Darby was fucking killer. Joe is insanely good and maybe my favorite thing about the show at the moment. Darbys thumbtack hoody looked like something Burberry Erry would wear to be ironic. That match was fucking BRUTAL...Joe came out of it looking Iike he had been in a real fight, pretty sure that cut was hard way and he looked like he gave Darby a few receipts for it early on. The muscle buster on the bare wood was the perfect way to put Darby down for a 3 count but I would have been much happier if they had just cut out on a bloody and battered Joe standing triumphantly over Darby with his title belt.

The wardlow shit felt like it sorta ruined the moment for me. You could do that return at any point next week and get the same reaction, so why do it immediately after Joe's win? If you just wanted to get wardlow on the show for a home state (not even hometown) pop then do something during rampage.

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1112 on: February 03, 2023, 02:40:01 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CoK1v88Jvjz/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

RIP Lanny Poffo

FUCK. I was just last night watching some of Lanny and Randy's Memphis run and thinking about how over Lanny would be with today's audience. The fact that he genuinely wrote all of those poems hours before the match and more often than not they were actually pretty always amazed me. Lanny was kind of like a proto-Acclaimed in that regard. He wasn't as good as Randy in the ring, but he was more than capable of holding his own and actually kinda surprised me with how well he moved and worked the southern crowds. There's some mid south coliseum matches with Poffomania where he gets just as much of a pop as Randy at certain points. I also honestly think he was just as good on the mic as Randy, but in a completely different style that most people didn't quite get at the time.

Dunno if any of you are familiar with the OSW review "boy stable", but basically it's your personal group of favorite wrestlers that never really got a push or were underappreciated. The kind of guy where you go "that's my BOY" even though no one else seems to like them as much as you. The general criteria is they can't have ever held a major singles belt in one of the big promotions (so IC champs are out and European/TV champs are questionable). Anyways, Lanny would 100% be in my boy stable...especially in his genius gimmick. I was a nerdy, wordy kid so I actually kind of identified with him and I used to come up with my own shitty little poems that no one else thought were clever haha.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1113 on: February 03, 2023, 03:22:44 AM »

FUCK. I was just last night watching some of Lanny and Randy's Memphis run and thinking about how over Lanny would be with today's audience. The fact that he genuinely wrote all of those poems hours before the match and more often than not they were actually pretty always amazed me. Lanny was kind of like a proto-Acclaimed in that regard. He wasn't as good as Randy in the ring, but he was more than capable of holding his own and actually kinda surprised me with how well he moved and worked the southern crowds. There's some mid south coliseum matches with Poffomania where he gets just as much of a pop as Randy at certain points. I also honestly think he was just as good on the mic as Randy, but in a completely different style that most people didn't quite get at the time.

Dunno if any of you are familiar with the OSW review "boy stable", but basically it's your personal group of favorite wrestlers that never really got a push or were underappreciated. The kind of guy where you go "that's my BOY" even though no one else seems to like them as much as you. The general criteria is they can't have ever held a major singles belt in one of the big promotions (so IC champs are out and European/TV champs are questionable). Anyways, Lanny would 100% be in my boy stable...especially in his genius gimmick. I was a nerdy, wordy kid so I actually kind of identified with him and I used to come up with my own shitty little poems that no one else thought were clever haha.

Never forget he had a win over Hulk Hogan.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1114 on: February 03, 2023, 08:07:06 PM »
@Buttfart Rapedick you ever read this book? I read it last year and it's pretty good, gives a comprehensive history of the AWA and shows how influential Verne Gagne was in his heyday

There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1115 on: February 04, 2023, 12:10:40 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick you ever read this book? I read it last year and it's pretty good, gives a comprehensive history of the AWA and shows how influential Verne Gagne was in his heyday

Oh dang I’m interested.   I’m going through the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame Books on Tag Teams and Heels right now, then the VKM book.    This one will slot in nicely

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1116 on: February 05, 2023, 12:38:31 PM »
Whose got your favorite entrance in wrestling right now?

love the elite's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZh0_IdFtQ8

I luv their attitude and bravado. It's cool how aew can capitalize on using real songs.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1117 on: February 06, 2023, 02:17:24 AM »

I haven't but I'm going to try to find an ebook of it now that you've pointed it out. I've got about 2-3 toilet trips worth of Jericho's first book to finish, then I'm ready to start a new one.

Ive been watching a ton of AWA the last few days, there's a couple YouTube channels that are devoted to it that I found, and there's even a fair amount of HD stuff. It's really noticeable when you watch like an 80-82 show just how much Vince took from Verne. Honestly I think the WWF didn't really pull ahead in terms of production value and polish until around 84 or so. AWA had good lighting, a multi camera setup, cool transitions, some of the best on air talent (like Okerlund), and one of the best sounding rings I've ever heard.

One of the things I really like about AWA as opposed to like Memphis or Houston is that they actually booked fairly competitive matches for the TV show. The southern studio shows are mostly squash matches and promos to set up angles for the live shows because they made most of their money on drawing houses, not the TV show. AWA would sometimes just randomly have like Nick Bockwinkel vs Jumbo Tsuruta putting on a clinic in the middle of the show and the overall ratio of actual matches to angles is pretty high. I'm not sure if their business was more based on TV distribution than live gates, but it would make sense if it was since I can't imagine it would be as easy to run a live show circuit in the Minnesota winters. Maybe I should read a book about it...

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1118 on: February 06, 2023, 02:35:15 AM »

love the elite's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZh0_IdFtQ8

I luv their attitude and bravado. It's cool how aew can capitalize on using real songs.

Probably Dalton Castle.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ep6w2

There's a few that I usually pop for...Jericho (when he's alone), Lucha Bros, Darby etc. Luchasaurus' last entrance with all the ominous lighting and shit loads of Pyro was pretty cool too. It reminded me of the original Mortis vibe from WCW back in the day. Always down for a good kaze ni nare as well.

It's not really an entrance but I genuinely get excited when MJF's music hits.

Oh and the OC and best friends one where they came out on each other's shoulders in a giant trench coat to "confront" Satnam Singh is probably the hardest I've laughed at a wrestling joke in years.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1119 on: February 06, 2023, 03:20:55 AM »
I miss Alistair/Malachi’s nXT entrance.   Worked especially well with our infrequent they appear so it never got played out

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1120 on: February 07, 2023, 03:18:22 PM »
the genius wasn't built enough for wwf but he had a good character. smug heel you'd want to boo but he played it well. vince was a size queen so he wasn't going to get the push his brother had and also, macho was an institution.
he even rapped. "be a man hogan!"

I don't know if it was that. Not sure what they were billed at in their WWF runs but in reality Lanny was about the same size as Randy (he might have even been a little taller actually), though he wasn't nearly as defined. It's been said that Vince signed the Poffos to cripple Memphis as much anything, and though he was definitely courting a southern audience at the time I don't necessarily buy that either. Randy was coming off a red-hot program with Lawler and Memphis itself was still pretty damn hot in 85. Vince just really wanted Randy because he was the hottest available free agent and was willing to give  his brother a job to make it happen. For some reason Vince seemed to have a grudge against Angelo, which is sometimes postulated as the reason Randy was never honored by the WWF (alongside the much more popular theory that he got caught fucking a barely legal Stephanie).

Wrestling was still a family business in a lot of ways and Vince was still somewhat abiding by his father's wishes and "taking care of the boys" at that point. It wasn't a unique situation by any means though, you'd see guys like Barry O (Bob Orton's brother) or Kendall Windham or Vic Steamboat or Sam Houston (Jake's brother) etc working as preliminary guys and making up the numbers for the touring schedule in all the major promotions at the time.

All that being said, I don't think Vince ever expected Savage to get over the way he did and never really appreciated or took him as seriously as he should have. In a lot of ways he had to succeed in spite of his promoter rather than because of him.
There was always a weird animosity between the two and if it weren't for the slim Jim deal things probably would have gone sideways even faster than they did.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #1121 on: February 07, 2023, 11:21:40 PM »
That sucks, the little I’ve seen/heard from him in the last 5-10 years has been awesome…..it’s like skating in a way that you won’t think much of a pro, then you meet them or hear their story and realize all the things they’ve seen and the dedication they’ve put in….even if I thought he was a cornball, he was doing his job…at least 50% of the WWF was dumb I thought…..I guess I was already into skating and not having it….

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1122 on: February 08, 2023, 02:50:06 AM »
Lawler is back in the hospital. Apparently he had a stroke last night, but thankfully they seem to have caught it within the critical window and gotten him in for treatment. Dirty Dutch says he's expected to recover. Hopefully that's the case, I'm not ready to kill my fingers and brain typing out all the complexities of Lawler's amazing career yet.

That sucks, the little I’ve seen/heard from him in the last 5-10 years has been awesome…..it’s like skating in a way that you won’t think much of a pro, then you meet them or hear their story and realize all the things they’ve seen and the dedication they’ve put in….even if I thought he was a cornball, he was doing his job…at least 50% of the WWF was dumb I thought…..I guess I was already into skating and not having it….

There's so many guys that I thought sucked when I was a kid and now I go back and watch and realize how awesome they were. Barry Windham is another one of those for me.. Didn't really like him in WCW and knew him mostly from the stalker and blackjack gimmicks in WWF so I never really paid attention to him. Once I did I started to understand why some of his peers say he was the most talented guy to ever lace them up but just didn't really care about getting himself over.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1123 on: February 08, 2023, 03:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote
the genius wasn't built enough for wwf but he had a good character. smug heel you'd want to boo but he played it well. vince was a size queen so he wasn't going to get the push his brother had and also, macho was an institution.
[close]

I don't know if it was that. Not sure what they were billed at in their WWF runs but in reality Lanny was about the same size as Randy (he might have even been a little taller actually), though he wasn't nearly as defined. It's been said that Vince signed the Poffos to cripple Memphis as much anything, and though he was definitely courting a southern audience at the time I don't necessarily buy that either. Randy was coming off a red-hot program with Lawler and Memphis itself was still pretty damn hot in 85. Vince just really wanted Randy because he was the hottest available free agent and was willing to give  his brother a job to make it happen. For some reason Vince seemed to have a grudge against Angelo, which is sometimes postulated as the reason Randy was never honored by the WWF (alongside the much more popular theory that he got caught fucking a barely legal Stephanie).

Wrestling was still a family business in a lot of ways and Vince was still somewhat abiding by his father's wishes and "taking care of the boys" at that point. It wasn't a unique situation by any means though, you'd see guys like Barry O (Bob Orton's brother) or Kendall Windham or Vic Steamboat or Sam Houston (Jake's brother) etc working as preliminary guys and making up the numbers for the touring schedule in all the major promotions at the time.

All that being said, I don't think Vince ever expected Savage to get over the way he did and never really appreciated or took him as seriously as he should have. In a lot of ways he had to succeed in spite of his promoter rather than because of him.
There was always a weird animosity between the two and if it weren't for the slim Jim deal things probably would have gone sideways even faster than they did.

“Weird animosity” - you’ve heard the Stephanie rumors?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1124 on: February 08, 2023, 06:19:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

“Weird animosity” - you’ve heard the Stephanie rumors?

Yeah i mentioned that, but I actually mostly meant before that took place...the shit with Angelo and the legends battle royale, the Commentary thing, the weird rivalationship he had with Hogan who was basically Vince proxy at the time, and the rumors he bitch slapped Vince, the stories about him not trusting Vince to the point he was scared he would use an actual cobra in the wedding storyline and made Jake take a bite from it first etc.

Steph didn't turn 18 until the year he left (94), so there was a lot of shit that happened even before he allegedly cleared out a parking spot for HHH. I don't really buy that story, but if it is true as best I can tell it would have most likely happened in the summer of 94 between her graduating high school and leaving for college and him leaving for Atlanta in the fall. There was a lot of acrimony even before that and if it is true that he managed to fuck his boss' hot ass coed daughter as a way to get back at him for years of mistreatment then it certainly adds to the legend of the Macho Man. I don't think it's super likely, but then again who the fuck knows with the McMahon family. Vince would have probably sold her to the Saudis for forced marriage when she was 13 if that had been an option.

Edit - almost forgot... Check out what I stumbled on this morning.. Start at 6:00 if you just want to skip to the moment.

https://youtu.be/Gt6JfZSuHGI

First off the whole show is interesting because it has Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) doing babyface commentary which is kinda cool, but as far as I can tell this is the wrestling world's first real introduction to the Steve Austin name. Kinda cool to see this young cocky blonde dude with hilarious tights and a flowy as fuck mullet knowing what he would become. Even back then you could see the beginnings of the stomp that would become one of his signature moves.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 06:45:15 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1125 on: February 08, 2023, 03:53:25 PM »
Sat down and watched Rampage. It was kind of rough.

Bucks and elite wrestled a boring match against private party and Ethan page. I once saw someone say that Bucks matches are like when the egotistical lead guitarist insists on a 20 minute wank solo in the middle of a concert and that's even more accurate with these trios matches.

They had Swerve beating up Pillman Jr. who's apparently still doing his Omega cosplay and still has the most awkward timing this side of Greg Gagne. Dustin made the save with a turnbuckle which of course I popped for but I doubt anyone else did.

They had a girls tag that I didn't watch and then Rush vs Christopher Daniels as a main event? What the fuck? Who does Tony think wants to see old man Daniels getting choked with a neon green cable (the dumbest fucking gimmick I've ever seen... Is he supposed to be a jump rope enthusiast or something?) as the main event of anything? That's like a lower card ROH match.

Predictably the ratings were a disaster and it was like #70 something for the night. This company is truly its own worst enemy and im baffled that there still isn't someone to tell Tony how fucking dumb of an idea this kind of thing is.

Thankfully they had Dalton Castle on Dark tossing some beefy jobber around like a sack of trash to wash the taste out of my mouth. It's hilarious because Taz seems to want to dislike him but he has to begrudgingly accept him as a fellow suplex machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1126 on: February 08, 2023, 04:16:37 PM »
Did you see that older tag team that called themselves the Youngest Men alive?   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1127 on: February 08, 2023, 06:51:19 PM »
MJF vs Takeshita tonight was grand.
The promo MJF cut was pretty wild as I guess I was used to things going back to PG in the wrestling world but I’m also new to AEW.

Watched all the way up until the Elite match; cannot get behind them & the fact that they come out to Kansas.

I too caught that Thatcher match & was very into his performance. Classic & cold.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1128 on: February 09, 2023, 02:09:54 AM »
Did you see that older tag team that called themselves the Youngest Men alive?

I did. And I am intrigued. If they wrestle like a 1987 team with all kinds of pantomime and "gotcha!" spots then I'm in. Typically I get sick of nostalgia acts pretty fast but the one who said youngest man alive had the mannerisms, cadence, and delivery down so well that I was quite impressed. You can tell he's probably spent loads of time doing his homework.

That or he's a time traveler, and thus became the youngest man when he warped into existing in our dimension.

Gonna watch Dynamite after breakfast I think. I was going to watch last night but I fell asleep watching WWA/Bruiser Bedlam. I found a compilation of the beginning Scott Steiners career that's pretty cool, this is before he went to Memphis even and I didn't really know anything about it before yesterday. It was a small territory and I think bruiser was one of those notoriously cheap Midwestern promoters so even I have no clue who half these guys are haha.

https://youtu.be/NAuSmjy9BqU

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1129 on: February 09, 2023, 05:34:23 AM »
I can't believe I woke up this morning and the fucking ASS BOYS are champs. what the actual fuck.

I get that Takeshita can have a banger with anyone, but jeez he needs some credible wins on TV.

BD v Rush was pretty good and Rush looks so good on his entrance, just a real nice presentation.

Still think we didn't need 2 dudes fully bleeding in the first hour of the show, but whatever.

The bunny is hot.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1130 on: February 09, 2023, 05:57:59 AM »
MJF vs Takeshita tonight was grand.
The promo MJF cut was pretty wild as I guess I was used to things going back to PG in the wrestling world but I’m also new to AEW.

Watched all the way up until the Elite match; cannot get behind them & the fact that they come out to Kansas.

I too caught that Thatcher match & was very into his performance. Classic & cold.

Elite match was great.   I wouldn’t mind a few more matches between those two teams.   Top Flight feels like what they thought Private Party was supposed to become back when PP upset tbe bucks in the inaugural tag tournament

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1131 on: February 10, 2023, 02:36:10 AM »
I can't believe I woke up this morning and the fucking ASS BOYS are champs. what the actual fuck.

I get that Takeshita can have a banger with anyone, but jeez he needs some credible wins on TV.

BD v Rush was pretty good and Rush looks so good on his entrance, just a real nice presentation.

Still think we didn't need 2 dudes fully bleeding in the first hour of the show, but whatever.

The bunny is hot.

Im just gonna quote you for this week. Basically summed up how I felt. I love Rush's entrance and a lot of his work but the constant cheating needs to come after you've established him as a credible threat and I feel like they never did that with him. Also the cable thing is so dumb. Get a gimmick that fits the character, use a white bull rope for Christ's sake!

I'm actually with you on the bleeding too... Its totally unnecessary and takes away from when it happens at a ppv or in a big title or blowoff match. This is one of those areas where I feel like Tony just let's the boys do whatever they want and it hurts everyone. He really needs to just be like "no one bleeds unless I say so" or if he's afraid of stepping on toes then put the decision in the hands of someone like Taz who didn't rely on it but still used it selectively and effectively.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1132 on: February 10, 2023, 08:48:34 AM »
More Thatcher.

Big night for Jey Uso!

bardcore

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1133 on: February 11, 2023, 10:04:53 AM »
The man i aspire to be
But genius don't come easily
Wrestle in heaven if you can
With your brother Macho Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6De_jrd48b8

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1134 on: February 11, 2023, 10:17:51 AM »
I hope they team Mark Briscoe with FTR for trios.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1135 on: February 11, 2023, 02:16:03 PM »
Last nights Smackdown was beyond disappointing. Only highlights for me was seeing Ronda come back. Sami on the microphone was cool but even the tag match with the Usos vs Strowman & Riccochet was a tad boring. The main event was quite a mess as a fatal four way with Kross, Mysterio, Moss & Escobar. Just totally unorganized.

Moss also reminded me of Steve Mongo McMichael…..just bad….

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1136 on: February 13, 2023, 02:25:44 AM »
Mahomes parading around with the WWE belt must chap Tonys ass so bad. If the Jags somehow win a SB I bet he has Trevvie Lawrence just dressed up as a giant AEW logo or dome other ridiculous inferiority complex shit.

Been splitting my time between AWA and Houston the last few nights and found some real gems. Paul Boesch on commentary is great, he's got one of the most unique deliveries and sometimes uses (or misuses) words or phrases you don't hear very often. He definitely had an eye for talent and didn't book a ton of squash matches so theres some really good stuff out there. I found this last night and it's cool to see Steiner work a totally different style. Also he's fucking enormous here, he might be as big as Scott at this point actually.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pcNl2peBmS0&list=TLPQMTEwMjIwMjM5ijELv-d97A&index=9

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1137 on: February 13, 2023, 04:57:21 AM »

Bray Wyatt's current entrance

Just kidding. It's awful.

Currently, we've only been watching WWE as it's the easiest for us to watch based on our schedules. It's been 10 years since I saw him on ROH but I'd still also concur with BFRD and say Dalton Castle. That guy is awesome.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1138 on: February 13, 2023, 05:49:40 AM »
Headed to Tampa this week. Was really hoping they still did regular NXT tapings in Orlando, but alas.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1139 on: February 13, 2023, 08:17:49 AM »
Aw man , you missed a big NWA show in Tampa over the weekend.