Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 41808 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1290 on: March 30, 2023, 10:57:28 PM »
Just found out I’m going to ROH Supercard of Honor tomorrow!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 12:45:35 AM by Atiba Applebum »

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #1291 on: March 31, 2023, 05:46:22 AM »
Garcia vs Tanahashi added to ROH card

He’d never do it, but I’d love for Goldberg to be MJF’s big Jewish muscle

Dude I've seen some articles about this. His WWE contract is up and he has said he wants a proper retirement match and is not sure WWE wants to do it for him.

Goldberg as MJF's muscle would be amazing.

The other guy that does the podcast with cornette has said he is not super into MJF using the Jewishness to get heat because of the trending antisemitism in society right now. He is jewish so he definitely has a valid opinion.

But dude, Goldberg jackhammering dudes while wearing a yamukah would be all time.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1292 on: March 31, 2023, 08:42:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Garcia vs Tanahashi added to ROH card

He’d never do it, but I’d love for Goldberg to be MJF’s big Jewish muscle
[close]

Dude I've seen some articles about this. His WWE contract is up and he has said he wants a proper retirement match and is not sure WWE wants to do it for him.

Goldberg as MJF's muscle would be amazing.

The other guy that does the podcast with cornette has said he is not super into MJF using the Jewishness to get heat because of the trending antisemitism in society right now. He is jewish so he definitely has a valid opinion.

But dude, Goldberg jackhammering dudes while wearing a yamukah would be all time.

Oh yeah I totally get that perspective of Jewishness being viewed as a heat target.   I guess good for me that I never considered that a boo-able thing hah.  I always saw the heat being more that he was a little rich kid.   

The Goldberg thing would work especially if he does one of those “labors” in order to face him for the title, but I think it’s definitely need to be against a hoss.   Goldberg isn’t going out on his back for Mimiseeku Jack. 

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1293 on: March 31, 2023, 01:06:36 PM »

Weird crossover.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #1294 on: April 01, 2023, 03:30:46 AM »
Tuned in for the main event of ROH and then went back and watched some of the other stuff.

What is up with those Martin boys and snapping their legs? Is their father a balsa tree or something? Poor Dante. It's gonna be interesting if Darius will get a singles push like Dante did when Darius was out.

The main event... I just... I love Eddie as a character and would cheer loudly for him if I were in the building but watching his matches on TV has been pretty rough the last few times. He's a great talker but once the mic is off it's just a bunch of slaps and awkward transitions punctuated by him taking big bumps. Add that to Claudio being super vanilla and it wasn't a great viewing experience.

At least Wheely doesn't have his useless belt anymore but this almost feels like when they used to send belts no one cares about off to Japan to die. Im having a hard time getting excited about 2023 Shibata as well.

Going home to watch mania with my best bud from high school/college tonight. He doesn't really watch wrestling anymore and I don't really watch the fed, but it's mania so it's basically tailored to guys like us. Night one is definitely weaker on paper this year. I think I might legit be more excited for Charlotte and Rhea than anything else

Edit - I think my heart just took a stiff lariat. She cleans up well but in some ways I kinda prefer her rough around the edges look. It fits her in ring style.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jmehytr/status/1641862991636226059

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 05:20:00 AM by Sativa Lung »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1295 on: April 01, 2023, 01:01:25 PM »
Tuned in for the main event of ROH and then went back and watched some of the other stuff.

What is up with those Martin boys and snapping their legs? Is their father a balsa tree or something? Poor Dante. It's gonna be interesting if Darius will get a singles push like Dante did when Darius was out.

The main event... I just... I love Eddie as a character and would cheer loudly for him if I were in the building but watching his matches on TV has been pretty rough the last few times. He's a great talker but once the mic is off it's just a bunch of slaps and awkward transitions punctuated by him taking big bumps. Add that to Claudio being super vanilla and it wasn't a great viewing experience.

At least Wheely doesn't have his useless belt anymore but this almost feels like when they used to send belts no one cares about off to Japan to die. Im having a hard time getting excited about 2023 Shibata as well.

Going home to watch mania with my best bud from high school/college tonight. He doesn't really watch wrestling anymore and I don't really watch the fed, but it's mania so it's basically tailored to guys like us. Night one is definitely weaker on paper this year. I think I might legit be more excited for Charlotte and Rhea than anything else

Edit - I think my heart just took a stiff lariat. She cleans up well but in some ways I kinda prefer her rough around the edges look. It fits her in ring style.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jmehytr/status/1641862991636226059

People were clearing out to go to GCW Spring Break so I gotta to claim the Brisco family’s seats and be front row for the main event.   

Pure rules matches do not suit live crowds.   They were antsy and a lot were giving Wheeler Useless (their words, not mine) a bunch of shit

But, hey, Vikingo/Komander lived up to it especially considering how much those guys are wrestling this weekend.    I don’t like Sammy either, but I’ll be watching his match against Komander Wednesday

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1296 on: April 01, 2023, 08:53:17 PM »
Yeah it seemed like the fans shit on that Shibata match pretty hard and the stream chat wasn't a fan either. I think pure rules can work, but TK did a horrible job of introducing his audience to it and there hasn't been that signature match or guy that really gets it over yet. Wheely was never that guy and then trying to make him seem like a vicious heel lately isn't really the best way to get over a "gentleman" belt.

I watched some of it this morning, Nigel was a nice surprise but I don't actually like his commentary haha. Takeashita and Keith Lee's poke-cousin had a decent little scrap on the pre show.

How was willow live? I feel like she hits twice as hard as the other girls not named Hayter. The girl she was wrestling felt a little indy but she bumped well.

Vikingo vs Komander was good. I could do without the little double ground touch pose thing though haha. It annoyed me when Ospreay and Ricochet did it a decade ago and it's pretty played out. Komander did better job than Kenny of selling the flip to hurricanrana stuff. That table spot looked brutal too.

AR Fox is awesome. Don't know why I like him so much but I do.

Tanahashi deserves better than Daniel Garcia.

Everyone deserves better than Wheeler Yuta. Haha nah I'm mostly working about that... I don't really dislike him I'm just not sure what people were thinking when they were comparing him to steamboat and insisting he was the future of the company. Shibata no-selling his chops was funny but that's about all that match had going on.

The ladder spot fest was fun but the Dante thing definitely soured it a bit. Were you ringside for that or just the main?

Mark vs Joe was my highlight, it felt more like an ROH match to me than anything else, but that's probably partially because I very closely associate Joe with the company. Those chops were nasty and that ending sequences was pure violent beauty that only Joe could deliver. I wish they'd have put the belt on Mark but hopefully they're setting it up for a redemption angle.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1297 on: April 01, 2023, 09:12:01 PM »
WM Night 1 was great. Flair vs Rhea was fantastic, overall not a bad match on the card. Also the Usos lost the tag titles
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1298 on: April 01, 2023, 10:06:11 PM »
Yeah it seemed like the fans shit on that Shibata match pretty hard and the stream chat wasn't a fan either. I think pure rules can work, but TK did a horrible job of introducing his audience to it and there hasn't been that signature match or guy that really gets it over yet. Wheely was never that guy and then trying to make him seem like a vicious heel lately isn't really the best way to get over a "gentleman" belt.

I watched some of it this morning, Nigel was a nice surprise but I don't actually like his commentary haha. Takeashita and Keith Lee's poke-cousin had a decent little scrap on the pre show.

How was willow live? I feel like she hits twice as hard as the other girls not named Hayter. The girl she was wrestling felt a little indy but she bumped well.

Vikingo vs Komander was good. I could do without the little double ground touch pose thing though haha. It annoyed me when Ospreay and Ricochet did it a decade ago and it's pretty played out. Komander did better job than Kenny of selling the flip to hurricanrana stuff. That table spot looked brutal too.

AR Fox is awesome. Don't know why I like him so much but I do.

Tanahashi deserves better than Daniel Garcia.

Everyone deserves better than Wheeler Yuta. Haha nah I'm mostly working about that... I don't really dislike him I'm just not sure what people were thinking when they were comparing him to steamboat and insisting he was the future of the company. Shibata no-selling his chops was funny but that's about all that match had going on.

The ladder spot fest was fun but the Dante thing definitely soured it a bit. Were you ringside for that or just the main?

Mark vs Joe was my highlight, it felt more like an ROH match to me than anything else, but that's probably partially because I very closely associate Joe with the company. Those chops were nasty and that ending sequences was pure violent beauty that only Joe could deliver. I wish they'd have put the belt on Mark but hopefully they're setting it up for a redemption angle.

Just ringside for Cesaro vs Eddie.   Right where he unhooked the barrier.   

Was on the other side of the ring for the Martin injury.   Had no idea it happened live, but heard some guys talking about it a few matches on.   

AR Fox really stood out to me as did the All Heart guy on his trios team and Aussie Open has grown on me.    Kanellis and his partner took some gnarly bumps too.   (Brain is fried so I’m losing names)

Didn’t catch Willow live (LA traffic but mostly USC parking), but thought Athena was good live.   

Catching DG at BoLA and here, I like him as a heel and he plays well with the crowd, but yeah kinda think Tanahashi was a random choice, more like they just found out they could use him and they wanted to pair him with someone worthwhile, but also someone no one really would be sad if they jettison the build for a real program

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1299 on: April 02, 2023, 03:18:48 AM »

2nd slide is an elevated angle of the Dante drop.  I could see the ref clear enough from my eyeline, but you can tell something happened even without him throwing an X

Also, looks like Bad Bunny is going to be teaming with Rey against Damien and Dominik at the Puerto Rico show.   It’s a little funny he’s playing a super hero Lucha listed at like 5’10/5’11.

Did anyone watch that Monster Factory show on Apple?   Nothing I would go out of my way for, but nothing offensive about it

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1300 on: April 02, 2023, 03:23:36 AM »
Night one was fun. I'm not gonna lie I got a little choked up watching old man Cena and his Make a wish entrance. I would have rather they put him over Theory there. I get the intent, I just feel like Cena's mania return isn't the place to do it. Let those kids clap and go nuts for their boy after you paraded them out on stage like that.

Otise is money. Love that sweaty fucker. Not surprised the profits won but I thought it was cool they tried to give Dawkins some shine.

Logan Paul annoyed me but not the way he's supposed to. I get that not everyone is as into details as me and doesn't notice or care about this but there was some points he just stopped selling or looked completely lost until the ref or Seth fed him the next spot.

Women's trio was OK. Some fun spots but pretty rough ones too. Lita was always first more than best, but it is pretty cool to see her still putting that lucha training she "worked" so hard for to use at her age. Trish looked even more lost than Logan. That poetry in motion was dreadful and they totally botched the timing on the finish.

I wasn't expecting this but I LOVED the mysterio match. Doms gear would have looked cool if it weren't for the giant Gonzales meets magneto top. I got a chuckle out of the fact that one of the biggest pops of the night was for the good old fashioned belt whipping spot. Dom looked better in the ring than I've ever seen him look and Rey is still sooooo smooth. He's wrestling's Daewon.

Women's match was the best of the night. Rhea out here looking like 1986 sting meets 1984 road warriors. What a fucking presence she has. Her facials are off the charts good and her selling is impeccable. When she just effortlessly muscled Charlotte up for the finish I legit got goosebumps. It felt like Sting beating Flair, and I'm sure that was at least somewhat intentional. Absolute 5* classic for me.

Main was OK. I'm not a big Owens fan and it felt an awful lot like a bucks match but it was cool to see Sami win it considering he was stuck wrestling Johnny Knoxville last year.

Night 2 has the stronger card so hopefully they bring the same quality.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1301 on: April 02, 2023, 04:20:07 AM »
Rhea vs Hayter would be a damn good Forbidden Door match

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1302 on: April 02, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
Night 1 was solid. Very stoked on Ripley winning it. She’s been a shooting star & will certainly elevate the women’s division. Loved her German suplexes.

Not a MacAfee fan so I was annoyed by that. I feel like even the crowd was over it.

Tonight, my only actual hopes are Asuka takes the belt from Bianca & Gunther retains. Otherwise I’m happy either way. Rhodes winning almost makes too much sense but…..

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1303 on: April 02, 2023, 06:13:27 PM »
GUNTHER RETAINS (amazing match; Drew McIntyre & Sheamus are the industry’s work horses)
LESNAR WINS
ROUSEY WINS

3/3

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1304 on: April 02, 2023, 06:46:36 PM »
Endeavor likely buying the Fed, is going to something to combine UFC and WWE (brought to you by the barest skimming of headlines)

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1305 on: April 02, 2023, 06:56:09 PM »
Endeavor likely buying the Fed, is going to something to combine UFC and WWE (brought to you by the barest skimming of headlines)

Just read this.

Anyone see the Shane McMahon botch?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1306 on: April 02, 2023, 07:05:08 PM »
Ronda’s presentation would be 1000% better if she’d ditch the weird makeup choices she’s been doing since her first PPV match.   It’s got a real kids birthday party face painter vibe and doesn’t go with her ring gear or story ever

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1307 on: April 02, 2023, 09:18:43 PM »
No Asuka win….

As far as Rousey goes, I’m just happy her & Bayszler will take the belts from Lynch & Lita as that team (trio w/Trish) is dreadful. Lita’s in-ring performance is uncomfortably obvious.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1308 on: April 02, 2023, 10:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Cody Rhodes with a win over Solo Sikoa last night. First time in awhile I said “wow” out loud. Certainly thought it would have ended in a DQ.

Gunther squash match was a nice little bonus. Wild that Dolph Ziggler is the new squash guy.
[close]

Yeah a little surprised at Solo too.   Very un-WWE booking.   Almost makes you think Cody’s not coming away with the win at WM

Fucking knew it.   It was all lining up a little too easy esp with Vince back on headsets in gorilla.    Roman ceases to be interesting once he loses.    but I guess the story line is Jey unseats him at … Summerslam??

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1309 on: April 02, 2023, 10:41:25 PM »
I had a feeling that Roman was going to retain after the Usos lost their belts - there was no way they were going to unseat the entire Bloodline in one weekend... unfortunately that was correct. Some of the dirt sheets are heavily speculating Jey taking a belt or both belts at Summerslam.

+1 to the comments about Rhea. She's incredible and just gets better and better. I wish Asuka would have won, but I'm not necessarily upset about Bianca retaining. Also pretty dope that Daphanie Lashaunn became the first Black woman to referee a match at Wrestlemania. Would have loved to see Sheamus get the IC title but Gunther is on a fucking tear and I love to see his push continuing. Lastly, an unexpected highlight of the weekend was seeing Dawkins stop Strowman in his tracks.

Before night 2 started, we watched most of 1983's AWA Super Sunday program. Hulk losing his title match to Bockwinkel due to a retroactive DQ was interesting to see, apparently many consider it a watershed moment in the beginning of the end of the era of the territories. Main event had Mad Dog Vachon & Verne Gagne against Jerry Blackwell and Sheik Adnan al Kaisse, that was pretty awesome.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1310 on: April 02, 2023, 10:45:58 PM »
Rhea vs Hayter would be a damn good Forbidden Door match

Stop.. I can only get so excited!

That's a dream match that I would pay good money for front row tickets to. Actually I'm not even sure if there's a men's match I'd be more excited about than that. I'm legit struggling to think of one.

I made my buddy who hasn't watched in years watch that match and he was into it. By the end we just had that thing where you don't even talk because you're so immersed in the match. He was also amazed that Charlotte is only 36 hahaha. She's getting into uncanny valley territory.

Fell asleep partway through night 2 but it felt kinda gross and  Vince-ish. Almost like night one was booked by the new guard but he insisted night 2 was his and they were doing it his way. So much for him retiring forever and not having a say in the booking right? Fucking creepy old piece of shit just fuck off and devolve back into slime already.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1311 on: April 02, 2023, 11:19:51 PM »
It’s fitting he’s basically back the weekend the book about him is released.

See the Solo win is what sent massive red flags.   As you said, they weren’t going to kill his undefeated streak, Usos streak, AND Roman all in a weekend. 

Wonder how that changes the minds of people who impressed that the Fed were treating Cody well on his return

Summerslam defeat for Roman feels sooo meh.    Summerslam has never really held much actual grandeur for me, kinda like Survivor Series.   

What I love love love about Ripley is basically she bucks the trend that a lot of the Fed women’s wrestlers suffer from: a lack of physical believability.    Charlotte, Rhea, MMA gals, and Bianca are the ones I actually believe in a fight.    (Iyo is on the cusp, but k don’t think I’ve caught the match that really sells me on her or at least I’ve forgotten her NXT highlights).   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1312 on: April 03, 2023, 03:39:53 AM »
Went back and watched some of the stuff I missed on Sunday. Definitely didn't like it as much as night one.

Cool with Bianca winning but I do love me some Asuka.

What the fuck was Edges entrance supposed to be? I support slayer being blasted as much as the next old white guy but that felt weird. Then finn doing his weird bird dance and playing with paintball smoke grenades seemed super awkward too.

I can't even begin to describe how stupid it is to stop the match and have a doc come in the ring because someone got busted open in a fucking hell in a cell match. Fully ruined it for me.

The main event dragged pretty bad too. If you're gonna beat Cody then just do it roman style and squash him in 10 minutes.

Oh well, back not giving this sick old fuck and all his enablers and apologists my money or attention. I do feel blessed I got to see another McMahon tear both his quads in the ring though.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1313 on: April 03, 2023, 05:00:14 AM »
Went back and watched some of the stuff I missed on Sunday. Definitely didn't like it as much as night one.

Cool with Bianca winning but I do love me some Asuka.

What the fuck was Edges entrance supposed to be? I support slayer being blasted as much as the next old white guy but that felt weird. Then finn doing his weird bird dance and playing with paintball smoke grenades seemed super awkward too.

I can't even begin to describe how stupid it is to stop the match and have a doc come in the ring because someone got busted open in a fucking hell in a cell match. Fully ruined it for me.

The main event dragged pretty bad too. If you're gonna beat Cody then just do it roman style and squash him in 10 minutes.

Oh well, back not giving this sick old fuck and all his enablers and apologists my money or attention. I do feel blessed I got to see another McMahon tear both his quads in the ring though.

Vince at Rumble, Shane at Mania, just need Steph at Summerslam to complete the hat trick. 

Also, didn’t watch the Miz thing (he’s my Sammy combined with Yuta combines with everyone else you all have Xpac Heat with) but it’s been amusing to see everyone praising Snoop calling it in the ring better than the vast majority of wrestlers

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1314 on: April 03, 2023, 06:18:30 AM »
Night 1>Night 2 for certain.

Though Gunther retaining ruled & that match was an instant classic.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1315 on: April 03, 2023, 06:41:21 AM »
Heard 3 of last night’s matches got an A+. Glad they didn’t have Cody go over. Roman is the 🐐.

I would’ve watched, but Lot 11 > watching tv.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1316 on: April 03, 2023, 01:06:17 PM »
Heard what happened to Cody is the PR territory move - bring them in, give them six glorious months, then fuck them hard. 

Looking back, it should have been obvious that there was no way they were going to let Cody, let  alone a Rhodes, be the face of the Fed especially over their chosen guy who never left.    Shame on us for ever forgetting that WWE values being petty and vindictive over giving they fans what they want

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #1317 on: April 03, 2023, 01:54:55 PM »
I think having Roman go over was the right call for now but it’s gotta end soon. He’s out of contenders who we can believe may take the titles.

Good to see the Best In The World was back, despite his botch.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1318 on: April 03, 2023, 02:08:00 PM »
I think having Roman go over was the right call for now but it’s gotta end soon. He’s out of contenders who we can believe may take the titles.

But who takes it?   Cody was the last one to make sense.   Jey wouldn’t be elevated by the title and would like have a kofi style reign - fine, but not exceptional.   Honestly, Dwayne is the only one who makes sense anymore.   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1319 on: April 03, 2023, 02:15:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

But who takes it?   Cody was the last one to make sense.   Jey wouldn’t be elevated by the title and would like have a kofi style reign - fine, but not exceptional.   Honestly, Dwayne is the only one who makes sense anymore.

I think it can be any top guy ONCE the Bloodline is dissolved as they are the only reason Reigns retains. So without them, he’d have lost already from a story line perspective. It was a wrap last night had Solo remained ejected from ringside. So I think we are headed in that slow but sure direction as the Usos lost. Otherwise we may see a draft & those titles split.